Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

Masked Man wrote: »
    So Gaffney anybody?

Nah no need for him anymore. The crew we have now should be enough. Gaffney would just be wasting a roster spot and cap space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Bring him back and let him fight for a roster spot. Could easily beat Ocho out for a spot, won't have a problem learning the system and Brady really liked playing with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,900 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Bring him back and let him fight for a roster spot. Could easily beat Ocho out for a spot, won't have a problem learning the system and Brady really liked playing with him.
    No way do we bring him back.

We have Welker, Lloyd, Ocho, Branch, Edelman, Gonzalez, Stallworth, Underwood, Ebert, Davis and others fighting for roster spots. Thats far too many as it is. Gaffney was ok when he was here but theres no way he beats out enough of those guys to make the roster. It would just be a waste of time and money which is something the Patriots don't like to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

What a first day for the 2012 draft, trading up twice in the first round, I was like wtf? First time since 2004 I think since that last happened. Hightower and Jones add quality and class to the defence and are excellent prospects. Both possess that quality that Bill loves best – versatility. Hightower is coming from the complex Alabama defence and should adapt well to the Pats defensive complexity. He was also a defence team captain and it’s signal-caller, who nearly always stayed on the pitch for every down. I was over the moon with us getting these two guys and everything else from then on was a bonus for me.

Tavon Wilson caught everyone out and many felt he was drafted early. His college coach summed him up as being smart, durable and versatile. And while TV pundits were scratching their heads at the Pats because they didn’t know him. They also didn’t know that the Buccaneers, Texans, Cardinals, Falcons, Colts, Ravens, and the Chargers all called him in for a workout as the draft day closed in. Nick Caserio and Jon Robinson had apparently worked him out in private before everyone else and really liked him. He was also a defensive team captain, who has 38 consecutive starts, with no injury record. I think the Pats moved on him when they did, simply because they knew he would not be around later in the draft.

Jake Bequette was another sweet draft, who could become a beast in defence tormenting QB’s. He’s a big guy with a high on pitch motor who can play at Linebacker and DE positions. So it’s more of that all important versatility Bill likes. Again, he was also a defensive team leader and is said to possess an excellent football IQ. I think he is recovering from a torn pectoral atm, I know he couldn't do the Bench test at the combine because of it. But hopefully he's well on the road to recovery at his stage.

Nate Ebner lacks on field experience coming from a rugby background. But he did reportedly perform really well on special teams in college. Unlike many players, he has stated that he is more than happy to make special teams his playing niche. It will be interesting though, to see if Bill tries and develop his safety potential in the secondary or just keeps him to special teams. Personally, I suspect he'll be developed for a special teams role only.

Alfonzo Dennard could be one of the steals of the 2012 draft imo, since he should have been drafted in round 2. But the recent arrest left him untouchable for many. He is known to be strong and hard hitting and with some experience, he could be a starter down the line. Hopefully he will seize the chance the Pats have given him. If he fulfils his potential, then he offers a potential high return on a low risk (seventh round pick).

Jeremy Ebert was very productive with 75 receptions for 1060Yards and 11TD’s in his senior year. He also ran a 4.38 (40yrds) at his Pro day, so the guy is really fast. I suspect he could immediately slot in on special teams as our new kickoff returner. Some have compared him to Wes Welker but he’s taller, carries slightly more beef and looking at their respective pro day stats, Ebert’s measurables are significantly better. So for those who may write him off because of his lack of a high profile. Don’t forget that Welker didn't even make the 2004 draft. But was signed as an undrafted free agent to the Chargers practice squad.

Overall I’m very happy with the draft, the picks on day one alone were more than enough for me. Like most Pats fans, I had hoped for a defensive overhaul. I also had hoped for at least one new young WR, since a lot of our receiving corps are on the wrong side of 30. Initially, I would have liked Stephen Hill, but Ebert’s highlight reel looks good and his college production stats are better than Hill’s. Finally it looks like Bill is putting the 'D' back into the Defence. So now it’s just wait and see time to see how the final roster pans out.

I really liked the draft too. Nice post there summing it up Corvus.

I'm a real fan of Ebner already, really hope he makes it big in the NFL. Loved that rugby video that somebody posted in the draft thread.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

We've also signed another special teams ace. Matt Roark is a 6'5" WR from Kentucky who has blocked a whopping 7 kicks in his time there - a school record.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm a real fan of Ebner already, really hope he makes it big in the NFL. Loved that rugby video that somebody posted in the draft thread.:D

I haven't seen the rugby vid yet, so I must check it out. I heard the audio transcript of his interview when he arrived at Gillette. He gave everyone a real good laugh, when he said he like running real fast on special teams and just hitting people hard. So it seems like he's a bit of a character alright.:D

We've also signed another special teams ace. Matt Roark is a 6'5" WR from Kentucky who has blocked a whopping 7 kicks in his time there - a school record.

And wouldn't it be nice if he takes his record breaking skills into the NFL. I often thought the Pats kinda of neglected special teams, so it's good to see some focus on it.

You got your wish Gaffney is coming back.

Wow two year deal. This is going to be some hell of a training camp with all these guys battling it out. Who do you guys think makes it?

I thought Ocho was certain to make it when he restructured his deal. I don't think I've ever seen a Patriot cut anybody who restructured. Now though Gaffney has a two year deal which means he looks certain to be there too. We got Welker and Lloyd, thats four and how many more are we going to carry?

We only carried four true receivers last year with Slater listed as a WR. We got two pass catching TEs.

And we have Edelman, Underwood, Gonzalez, Stallworth, Ebert and then Davis and Roark and lets not forget that Slater is still listed as one too. Like you'd reckon that only one of the above guys or two at most including an ST'er are going to make the roster.

Edit: F--k me I knew I was forgetting somebody. Deoin Branch is in that group as well.

• Advertisement

I'd say Gaffney has a clear advantage over a lot of the others that are touch and go simply because hes a McDaniels guy.

Also, any time I remember Josh is back, it reminds me of how awesome our offence could be next year and I get ridiculously excited. Why can't it be September already :(

Wow two year deal. This is going to be some hell of a training camp with all these guys battling it out. Who do you guys think makes it?

I thought Ocho was certain to make it when he restructured his deal. I don't think I've ever seen a Patriot cut anybody who restructured. Now though Gaffney has a two year deal which means he looks certain to be there too. We got Welker and Lloyd, thats four and how many more are we going to carry?

We only carried four true receivers last year with Slater listed as a WR. We got two pass catching TEs.

And we have Edelman, Underwood, Gonzalez, Stallworth, Ebert and then Davis and Roark and lets not forget that Slater is still listed as one too. Like you'd reckon that only one of the above guys or two at most including an ST'er are going to make the roster.

Edit: F--k me I knew I was forgetting somebody. Deoin Branch is in that group as well.

Id say he will carry 5:

Welker
    Branch
    Gaffney
    Lloyd

And then 1 of the remaining guys Ebert and Roark are rookies so they will have to prove themselves. Slater will be replaced with a true Safety/ST player most likely Ebner if he works out and our DBs look fine now. So realistically Ocho, Stallworth, Edelmen, Gonzalez and Underwood in my eyes are fighting for that extra spot.

:( Sad to see we lost a legend of game with the death of Junior Seau yesterday. A 20 year NFL veteran, who won 12 consecutive Pro-bowl selections and spent his last 4 years as a Pat. A great guy and a great player and may he R.I.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Gaffney signing is a good move IMO even if we are more than stocked at the WR position already.

He nearly had a 1,000 yard season with an average offense last year. I expect him with the advantage of knowing the system, making the roster and a contributing 500+ yard season. I think he'll rank as our 3rd WR.

A very early projection of the WR roster, i think we keep 6:
    1. Welker
    2. Lloyd
    3. Gaffney
    4. Branch
    5. Edelman
    6. Then a toss up between Ocho, Gonzalez and Stallworth

Matthew Slater obviously makes the roster but i wouldnt put down in an actual position tho.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Thats how I see it too as well. I think Edelmans versatility helps him, between offence defence and special teams. He might be in some minds considered the 4th lock in, and Branch joining the others in the maybe list for one or 2 spots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Has to be one of the most talented packs of WRs ever assembled, they only need one of them outside Welker to click and they'll have the most complete passing game ever assembled in the history of the league.

The only question is that none of them are particularly young, save Edelman, so how long before Belichick goes looking for a WR in the draft?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Syferus wrote: »
    Has to be one of the most talented packs of WRs ever assembled, they only need one of them outside Welker to click and they have the most complete passing game ever assembled in the history of the league.

The only question is that none of them particularly young, save Edelman, so how long before Belichick goes looking for a WR in the draft?

Next year probably, at least that's what I'd think.

Hopefully having such a stacked passing offence will help the defence in training camp.

I've seen it mentioned in a few other places that Edelman could be given a different spot on the roster which would free up a WR spot.

Underwood just got cut so that's one down.

I've seen it mentioned in a few other places that Edelman could be given a different spot on the roster which would free up a WR spot.

For me Edelmen is hanging on in there. We are going to keep Slater for what he can do on Special teams as the gunner and being ST captain last year and a motivator he fits BB likes.

Edelmen on the other hand is now looking like surplus needs if the guys we drafted and brought into the secondary in the FA and draft work out well for us. Where else would you put him? Against better opponents last season he got burned as a DB. I don't see him holding his WR spot.

I could be completely way off and he is doing enough for Bill to keep him but with the Depth we have all over we are running out of space for a guy like Edelmen who lets face it is a poor mans Welker and now a utility player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I can see Edelmen getting kept before Stallworth or Ocho.
    He offers more versatility in his special teams and defensive play and offers more in the passing game then I think those two can (unless Ocho gets back to old form).

1. Welker
    2. Lloyd
    3. Gonzalez
    4. Branch
    5. Gaffney
    6. Edelman
    7. Ocho
    8. Stallworth

• Advertisement

I don't see Ocho being cut. There is a legitimate excuse for him not getting the playbook down last year and thats the lockout. The guy seems really pumped up for it this year. BB has always been a big fan of what the guy can do on the field.

I think Edelman is near the cut line. Some of our draft picks were excellent at STs. Theres going to be some battle for positions on STs this training camp too. I can't see us keeping anymore than 5 WRs and Gaffney is the third certain one.

Lloyd
    Welker
    Gaffney
    Ocho

the last position is between the rest for me.

I don't see Ocho being cut. There is a legitimate excuse for him not getting the playbook down last year and thats the lockout. The guy seems really pumped up for it this year. BB has always been a big fan of what the guy can do on the field.

Have to agree and I am hopeful this is the case. Really want to see Ocho back to form. He was unlucky last season going from a retarded system into a complex system during a time where the lockout fooked up any chance of getting it down.
    I think Edelman is near the cut line. Some of our draft picks were excellent at STs. Theres going to be some battle for positions on STs this training camp too. I can't see us keeping anymore than 5 WRs and Gaffney is the third certain one.

100% agree with this. The FA and Draft for us filled most spots Edelman filled in at and like Slater Edelmen is now utility but Slater is not getting cut considering his influence last season. So it leaves Edelman hanging on. I actually don't know why so many Pats fans are so high up on Edelman. He is a poor mans Welker and really never got a full shot anyways. Why keep hanging on to a guy with his limited abilities now we have guys for the spots he filled in for.

Lloyd
    Welker
    Gaffney
    Ocho

the last position is between the rest for me.

As I said earlier:

Welker
    Branch
    Gaffney
    Lloyd

And out of the rest if we only go 5 I would prefer to see Ocho as if he nails the playbook it would be mad to cut him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭DBIreland

Is there any chance Welker does not return?
    I'm not fully sure how the franchise tag works but could he hold-out or be traded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

DBIreland wrote: »
    I'm not fully sure how the franchise tag works but could he hold-out or be traded?

I was thinking the same myself. Didn't want to say it though!

DBIreland wrote: »

He actually isnt holding out. He just hasn't signed the Tender. They have until July 15th anyways to sign the tender. Thing is the Pats have said they will give him a long term deal. Way I see it the Pats will give him a long term deal before June 1st now the draft is out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Have the league not introduced a change from next season that essentially creates an extra roster space (i.e. 53 to 54)?

If this is the case, would Bill be cute and use this space for an extra WR, therefore keeping 6 (rather than the 5 as most here are suggesting?).

*not 100% on this as I'm no expert yet. :o

Hazys wrote: »
    Gaffney signing is a good move IMO even if we are more than stocked at the WR position already.

Agreed, although he is another WR the wrong side of 30 (31). As a returning Pat, he will be on the same page as Brady so it is a good move imo. Brady will be really pleased about his return. Before the Redskins game last December, Brady said the following about Gaffney....
    “Jab could do everything well. I think that’s his versatility, he’s got good size, he’s got long arms, he’s got good speed, he’s got good quickness, he plays every position, he’s smart. He’s just one of those guys that, from the day we got him here, he was just so reliable and dependable because he knew what to do and he did it well. You gain a lot of trust from the quarterback when all those things matchup. I was bummed when he went to Denver and I was bummed when he went to Washington.”

RE:The Welker situation, there's no need for panic. Aside from his excellent production, he's Brady's first choice and go to guy. A deal should sorted out sooner rather than later, especially now that the Draft frenzy has died down.

SK1979 wrote: »
    Have the league not introduced a change from next season that essentially creates an extra roster space (i.e. 53 to 54)?

If this is the case, would Bill be cute and use this space for an extra WR, therefore keeping 6 (rather than the 5 as most here are suggesting?).

*not 100% on this as I'm no expert yet. :o

The Off season/preseason roster size was increased from 80 to 90 players.The first cutdown happens in August, when the roster is reduced from 90 to 75 players. Then once the final game of the preseason games is over, the roster is then reduced from 75 players to 53 players. Which is it's size for the rest of the season. I suspect you might be thinking of the change in rules for the game day roster.

Traditionally a team's game day roster contained 45 active players. A third string QB was regarded as an emergency player and not counted as part of the 45 active players. However he had restriction imposed - Under the old system, if the third string “emergency” quarterback came into the game prior to the fourth quarter, the first two quarterbacks were not allowed to re-enter the game.

But with the rule change, a third string QB is no longer regarded as an emergency player. So this effectively increases the game day roster to 46 players. Teams will have the option of carrying a third quarterback if they wish, but without the restrictions imposed under the previous structure. Or they can continue to carry two quarterbacks and use the extra roster spot to increase depth at another position on the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

• Advertisement

Logan Mankins is at Matt Light's retirement ceremony and is already out of his knee brace after his ACL surgery which is fantastic news. Must be well ahead of schedule on recovery.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement