Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Syferus wrote: »
    Is Gronk not allowed to talk about his injury or is that his own decision? Either way it's a little silly to say the least.

Allowed to talk? I think your jumping the gun there with such speculation. And what's silly? You must have missed the repeated setbacks and recovery timetable delays he had with his arm injury rehab. If nothing else, he's learned to take it a day at time and see how the back rehab goes.

He's also not qualified to give a prognosis on his back. Such questions would be better directed at the experts who treated him. And are continuing to do so. Speaking from experience, each post-Op back rehabilitation programme, is very individual experience and can vary dramatically in structure and timeframe from patient to patient.

If you're not talking to the expert clinicians involved, then you might as well be asking someone how long is a piece of string? But then I expect nothing less from the dummies in the media.

Gronk could possibly be ready for the start of the season, but that would really be some achievement. The prudent course of action is to keep him on PUP for the first 6 weeks. I would expect him to be ready to return after that. His no comment yesterday was both wise and sensible and how you can view it as being silly is beyond me.
    And Corv, any journalist worth even an ounce doesn't just focus on the book a given athlete/celeb is trying to shill so I fail to see what your point is.

I fail so see how you could possibly be making an issue of nothing in here. So I suggest you go back and read the post again. There should be no mystery to the point I was making. And the point I was making was? Well I found it very funny if that's any help. Real Belichick style answers, giving the media nothing.

Shill? Shill is an derogatory term btw, so take your insults outside of this thread please. The book is about a family of gifted athletes and how their parents guided them on their path to success. His father was behind it, not him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

It is shilling even if it's a book, Corv - the aim is to sell people on it by doing the interviews in the first place but it's the nature of the game for people in the public eye so it's no great mark against a player. It's certainly not much of an insult on its own, that's for sure.

Some are worse than others in terms of doing it shamelessly, of course. I made no commentary on the content of the athlete or of the book itself.

And regardless of whether Gronk is 'qualified' or not it is commonplace in all sports that athletes will give some insight into how their rehab is going. It is strange that a player would just blank the question when asked. Given BB's noted dislike of giving anything away it's a perfect normal question to ask (and that is exactly what I did, ask) whether it was part of the media training on the Patriots' end or just Gronk deciding not to give any information on his own accord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

It is shilling even if it's a book, Corv - the aim is to sell people on it by doing the interviews in the first place but it's the nature of the game for people in the public eye so it's no great mark against a player. It's certainly not much of an insult on its own, that's for sure.

Some are worse than others in terms of doing it shamelessly, of course. I made no commentary on the content of the athlete or of the book itself.

And regardless of whether Gronk is 'qualified' or not it is commonplace in all sports that athletes will give some insight into how their rehab is going. It is strange that a player would just blank the question when asked. Given BB's noted dislike of giving anything away it's a perfect normal question to ask (and that is exactly what I did, ask) whether it was part of the media training on the Patriots' end or just Gronk deciding not to give any information on his own accord.

Only you can make an a story out of a non story and in the middle of it insulting a player while doing so. Good to see you are back to your usual tricks. Corvus put up the interview as it is actually funny Gronks answers but why am I not surprised you found an issue with it. Good man.

It is shilling even if it's a book

Nope, it certainly isn't. Look up the meaning of a 'shill' or 'shilling' and you will see what I mean. Your response is unsurprising though, I visit a lot of other teams thread here and if I unintentionally cause offense (which I never have btw) in them, the last thing I would be doing, is taking issue with something that caused others offence.
    And regardless of whether Gronk is 'qualified' or not it is commonplace in all sports that athletes will give some insight into how their rehab is going. It is strange that a player would just blank the question when asked.

First of all no it's not strange, it happens in the sports world all the time. Where athltese don't or can't address a specific question. You just need to watch or read more interviews. Because it's not just the big bad Pats that do it.

But as I pointed out in my earlier post, I can assure you and I speak from experience when I say he certainly would not be in a postion to make any calculations regarding his back rehab. The first 12 weeks post-op from his back surgery is a critical period. Only after this part of the rehab programme has elapsed, will the clincians be able to make pretty good projections regarding his progress and eligibility for game time ect.

He might have said he felt fine, but what does that tell us? Well it tells us nothing actually. Here's an example, your back might be perfect, yet I might do an MRI spine and find so many problems with it upon review, that I immediately have you put on an immobilsation board. Surgical intervention maybe an option, yet you are totally asymptomatic of pain and your quality of life is unaffected.

On the other hand, I could be tormented with classical and chonic L5 S1 back pain. I could have no quality of life, unable to stand for 10-15 minutes never mind play sports ect. Yet, my MRI scan maybe be totally adnormal and might even exclude any natural degenerative changes ect. Surgery is most likely not an option. Yet the pain and symptoms control my life.

Such is the nature of the back and back injuries, unpredictable and often very unique in nature. Which need treatment on a case by case basis. We are not talking here about the standard post-op recovery from an appendicectomy or an IHR.
    Given BB's noted dislike of giving anything away it's a perfect normal question to ask (and that is exactly what I did, ask) whether it was part of the media training on the Patriots' end or just Gronk deciding not to give any information on his own accord.

Ya, but you were asking a question nobody can answer there unless you are Belichick or Gronk. Gronks answers are what I expected though and I have no doubt they are his answers. Of course there is also probably some influence there, by how the Patriots usually like their players to conduct themselves with the media. Every team has media training and all rookies get it from day one. Gronks a veteran player now, he doesn't need his hand held. He knows how to conduct himself with the media when it matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Colts players weren't allowed give info on injuries, rehab, progress etc last year! Came from Pagano, so I'm not sure if he brought that from the ravens! Local media weren't too happy about it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000218490/article/rob-gronkowski-will-not-discuss-aaron-hernandez

Really good from Gronkowski.

The media really see him as that lovable idiot, that they will eventually trick into giving a an answer on the subject by accident.

I'd imagine this hurts for him. They would have been very close and would have spent a lot of time together, regardless of whether they were friends off the field, they seemed very close on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

DDC1990 wrote: »
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000218490/article/rob-gronkowski-will-not-discuss-aaron-hernandez

Really good from Gronkowski.

The media really see him as that lovable idiot, that they will eventually trick into giving a an answer on the subject by accident.

I'd imagine this hurts for him. They would have been very close and would have spent a lot of time together, regardless of whether they were friends off the field, they seemed very close on it.

It could be worse..... they could be asking him about Tebow!!

Close friends? I doubt it. We now know that once number 81 left Gillette stadium, he entered into his own secretive world and never hung out with teammates. A real friend wouldn't behave like that, the friendship would also exist outside of the workplace, but with 81, it didn't.

Close friends? I doubt it. We now know that once number 81 left Gillette stadium, he entered into his own secretive world and never hung out with teammates. A real friend wouldn't behave like that, the friendship would also exist outside of the workplace, but with 81, it didn't.
    I know its cool to destroy Hernandez's character now but stuff like this:

http://nesn.com/2012/01/rob-gronkowski-aaron-hernandez-developing-chemistry-on-field-close-friendship-in-locker-room/

Suggests that they did have a good relationship that extended beyond the on-field stuff.

I'm not saying its a bad thing, i'm just saying that it must be difficult for Gronk to see a guy he would have spent hours with over the last 2-3 years going to meetings, celebrating wins etc., fúck up like Hernandez did.

http://nesn.com/2012/01/rob-gronkowski-aaron-hernandez-developing-chemistry-on-field-close-friendship-in-locker-room/

Suggests that they did have a good relationship that extended beyond the on-field stuff.

Actually no it doesn't. There's nothing in that article about them being close friends outside of work. Great teammates and side by side lockers, this is nothing new to us Pats fans at least. But outside of work, Gillette stadium, the season, nope nothing at all.

Gronk is the most watched, photographed and tweeted about player in the NFL. And do you know what? I've never seen 81 show up in any of his many close buddy or party photos that flooded the Net. And that's because 81 had other priorites outside work.

Do me a favour, if you want to keep talking about this subject. Then maybe take it to the relevant thread....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056980238

• Advertisement

Actually no it doesn't. There's nothing in that article about them being close friends outside of work. Great teammates and side by side lockers, this is nothing new to us Pats fans at least. But outside of work, Gillette stadium, the season, nope nothing at all.

Gronk is the most watched, photographed and tweeted about player in the NFL. And do you know what? I've never seen 81 show up in any of his many close buddy or party photos that flooded the Net. And that's because 81 had other priorites outside work.

Do me a favour, if you want to keep talking about this subject. Then maybe take it to the relevant thread....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056980238
    As I said, I wasn't having a go. I didn't actually want to talk specifically about AH, just wanted to mention that it is probably tough for Gronk.

I also never said it needed to leave the locker room, I just said "off-field" i.e Locker Room, Team Events, Meetings. Their lockers were side by side. They refer to each other as brothers! Thats not just your everyday team relationship like he'd have with Zoltan Mesko or Vince Wilfork. Why do you have a problem with me thinking that. I'm not stating that its a fact, Gronk might not give a fúck, I don't know!

I know lots of people come into the Pats thread to have a go, but seriously there is no need to get defensive. I got a Gronk jersey yesterday, i'm not a hater!

I won't take this any further. My intention wasn't to talk about the Hernandez case, more the calm but firm manner in which Gronkowski dealt with a badgering reporter, which reflects well on the Patriots organization.

As I said, I wasn't having a go. I didn't actually want to talk specifically about AH, just wanted to mention that it is probably tough for Gronk.

Dude, I never said you were having ago. And I didn't mean for you to take it that way.
    I also never said it needed to leave the locker room, I just said "off-field" i.e Locker Room, Team Events, Meetings. Their lockers were side by side. They refer to each other as brothers! Thats not just your everyday team relationship like he'd have with Zoltan Mesko or Vince Wilfork. Why do you have a problem with me thinking that. I'm not stating that its a fact, Gronk might not give a fúck, I don't know!

Why do you think I have a problem with what you think? Jaysus, you're entitled to your own opinion. All I was doing as a life long fanactical Pats fans, was giving you my perspective. Which was, I have never, ever picked up on any outside of work between friendship between Gronk and 81.

In fact the only player that kind of met him outside of work, was Dion Branch. And that was because he was a neighbour across the street. Branch did say he called over to him every now and again. Significantly though, he never said 81 ever called over to him.

I know lots of people come into the Pats thread to have a go, but seriously there is no need to get defensive. I got a Gronk jersey yesterday, i'm not a hater!

Bud, you raised a question and I gave you an informed opinion. Nothing defensive about that imo. I just directed you to the reelvant thread, because what often happens here is, one or two will creep out of the woodwork and use your valid question to stir. It's a frequent pattern.

I won't take this any further. My intention wasn't to talk about the Hernandez case, more the calm but firm manner in which Gronkowski dealt with a badgering reporter, which reflects well on the Patriots organization.

No bother. But just imagine, if us fans were left totally shocked and betrayed by what happened. Can you imagine how Gronk must be feeling? The sound teamate he thought he knew, turns out to be something entirely different. Of course he doesn't probably want to even think about it. But what you said earleir is spot on. He handled it well and showed the media that the fun loving Gronk, won't take any shít when he needs to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

The questions about Hernandez isn't what made him walk out. It was when the interviewer tried to get his dad to answer questions about it that he said **** it.

Dude, I never said you were having ago. And I didn't mean for you to take it that way.

Why do you think I have a problem with what you think? Jaysus, you're entitled to your own opinion. All I was doing as a life long fanactical Pats fans, was giving you my perspective. Which was, I have never, ever picked up on any outside of work between friendship between Gronk and 81.

In fact the only player that kind of met him outside of work, was Dion Branch. And that was because he was a neighbour across the street. Branch did say he called over to him every now and again. Significantly though, he never said 81 ever called over to him.

Bud, you raised a question and I gave you an informed opinion. Nothing defensive about that imo. I just directed you to the reelvant thread, because what often happens here is, one or two will creep out of the woodwork and use your valid question to stir. It's a frequent pattern.

No bother. But just imagine, if us fans were left totally shocked and betrayed by what happened. Can you imagine how Gronk must be feeling? The sound teamate he thought he knew, turns out to be something entirely different. Of course he doesn't probably want to even think about it. But what you said earleir is spot on. He handled it well and showed the media that the fun loving Gronk, won't take any shít when he needs to.

Sorry obviously misread the tone, its hard to tell on a forum. My your last paragraph sums up exactly what I was trying to say.I obviously didn't phrase it right. Must be tough for a guy to see his teammate turn out to be a killer.
    I love Gronkowski's public persona, but the way he handles the reporter whether it was because he was pissed off with the same question or if it was because the reporter asked his dad, really shows a stronger more mature side to him.

The Pats have released WR Donald Jones, he was signed to a three year deal back in March. Surprised he never made it to camp, but then again, I heard nothing about him at all during OTA's/mini-camp.

Two rookie WR have also been brought in for camp, Perez Ashford and Quentin Sims. So the list of WR's heading into camp now looks like this...

Danny Amendola
    Julian Edelman
    Michael Jenkins
    Kenbrell Thompkins
    Aaron Dobson
    Josh Boyce
    Kamar Aiken
    Matthew Slater
    Lavelle Hawkins
    Mark Harrison
    Perez Ashford

Talk about a total refit. If Brady racks up the numbers he normally does, throwing to that new bunch? Then he's gotta be a lock for league MVP in 2013.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Great Article by Greg Bedard. For the most part his articles are good but he has written some really bad ones. But this is a great read:

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/07/21/bill-belichick-aaron-hernandez/
    The death of Odin Lloyd was a tragedy. He was someone’s son, brother, friend and teammate, and he will be mourned by those to whom he was closest. We cannot forget that.

But football will be played. The Patriots will take the field on July 25 for training camp after an offseason of unprecedented turmoil, including former tight end Aaron Hernandez’s arrest for Lloyd’s murder. The NFL season starts on Sept. 5, and life will go on. It’s no disrespect to Lloyd and his loved ones. It’s just the way things are.

If you think this turbulent offseason portends a decline on the field for the New England Patriots … well, frankly, you need a history lesson. No team in the NFL, and maybe in the history of sport, has dealt better with controversy. Issues that would have caused other teams to curl up in a thumb-sucking fetal position have been followed by some of the Patriots’ greatest successes. The entire Bill Belichick-Tom Brady dynasty—three Super Bowl titles, two other Super Bowl appearances and nine seasons with at least 11 victories since 2001—was launched on controversy.
    Teams should be scared, because this is where Bill thrives. It will be Spygate all over again.
    • In the second game of the 2001 season, quarterback Drew Bledsoe—who’d signed a 10-year, $103 million contract the previous March—suffered a ruptured blood vessel in his chest on a hit from Jets linebacker Mo Lewis. When the popular Bledsoe recovered from the injury, Belichick kept him on the sideline in favor of a guy who hadn’t even been able to win a starting job outright in college. If you were to write a book called How to Torpedo Your Football Season, such a team-dividing quarterback firestorm would be the first three chapters. Yet the Patriots went 11-5 and won their first Super Bowl title that year.

• Five days before the start of the 2003 season, Belichick released the even more popular Lawyer Milloy (one of Brady’s best friends). The Bills picked him up and then embarrassed the Patriots 31-0 in the opener. On most teams a mutiny would have been in the offing—even ESPN’s Tom Jackson said the players “hate their coach.” Yet the Patriots went 14-2 and won a second Super Bowl title.

• During the 2007 season opener the Patriots were caught taping the Jets’ signals from the sideline, a serious violation of league rules. The Spygate cheating allegations swirled around the team throughout the season and all of New England’s previous success—not to mention Belichick’s reputation as a football genius—was cast in doubt. Yet the Patriots finished 16-0 and scored more points than any other team in history.

• In the first quarter of the 2008 opener Brady, who was coming off arguably the best year ever by a quarterback, suffered a season-ending knee injury. His backup, Matt Cassel, hadn’t started a game in college and had thrown just 39 passes in three NFL seasons. Though they missed the playoffs on a tiebreaker, the Patriots went 11-5 and tied for the best record in the AFC East.

• In 2010 All-Pro guard Logan Mankins had a messy contract squabble and didn’t report until the ninth game. And Randy Moss, who had caught 250 passes and scored 47 touchdowns over the previous three seasons, was traded after the fourth game following contract complaints and suspect on-field effort. The Patriots survived on the line, changed offenses on the fly and went 14-2.

If you’re scoring at home, New England was a combined 65-15 with two Super Bowl titles and a conference championship in those five seasons of turmoil. One general manager, asked how he thought the Patriots would respond to their offseason, texted back, “Teams should be scared, because this is where Bill thrives. It will be Spygate all over again.” How does Belichick manage these situations? Basically, he doesn’t.

Belichick will bring up the issue in front of the team, saying it’s unfortunate for everyone involved and telling the players not to talk about it to the media. He’ll instruct them to refer all questions to him, then he won’t talk about it again. Belichick, who doesn’t outwardly care what anyone says about him, rarely shows frustration or anger in front of the media. He’s a walking billboard for “if you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter.” If the man catching the heat doesn’t sweat a drop and goes about his job normally, why shouldn’t the players? It allows them to ignore the noise.

There is no question, however, that the Hernandez situation is abnormal. There’s little precedent for how to react when a teammate is confined to an 8-by-12-foot cell as inmate No. 174594 awaiting a murder trial at the Bristol County House of Correction, just 33 miles from the practice facility.
    If there’s any reason to believe the Patriots might be adversely affected by the situation, it’s because of a locker room shift. The Patriots have typically had at least one strong leader in the locker room to maintain order. Guys like Tedy Bruschi, Willie McGinest and Rodney Harrison were strong presences who kept everyone in line. If something needed to be said, either to the team or to an individual, those players did it—Belichick didn’t have to say a thing.

Such a personality does not exist in the current Patriots’ locker room, and it hasn’t for a few years. Even before this offseason, internally the Patriots knew their locker room needed stronger guidance. That’s not to say New England lacks leadership. You won’t find many better lead-by-example players than Brady, Mankins, Vince Wilfork, Jerod Mayo and Devin McCourty. But none are like Bruschi, who took ownership of the locker room and made sure everyone was doing things the right way. It’s as if the current Patriots have taken the “do your job” mantra too much to heart. If you’re only worried about yourself, people are going to get left behind and could drag the team down.

If the Patriots are to succeed once more in the face of adversity, one or two players must emerge to take ownership of the locker room. The best candidates are Wilfork and Mayo. It’s no longer good enough for them to lead their units. They must get in the faces of teammates on both sides of the ball and hold everyone accountable.

On the field, everyone is asking how the Patriots’ offense will adjust. Here’s what I think they will do. Actually, this is what I know they will do, because after covering New England for two and a half years, I’ve seen Belichick do it in all facets of the game: Whatever gives him the best chance to win one game, that’s what he’ll do.

Some teams enter a season saying, “This is who we have, this is how we’re going to do things each week regardless of the opponent.” Not the Patriots. They are a game-plan team in every phase, meaning the method of attack changes with each opponent. The players and coaches are used to switching up personnel and schemes on a weekly basis, because they do that even when fully healthy. If the Patriots think spreading out and using one back will give them the best chance to win against the Bills on Sept. 8, that’s what they’ll do. If it’s two backs, two tight ends and one receiver against the Jets in Week 2, that’s what they’ll do. Any unavailable player is treated the same by the Patriots regardless of the circumstances: It’s like he never existed.

Yes, Hernandez was an extraordinary talent—unrivaled as an ‘F’ or flex tight end in the Patriots’ system, and the perfect complement to Rob Gronkowski’s in-line, traditional ‘Y’ role. But the Patriots aren’t married to using two tight ends. They’re committed to winning the next game.

Looking ahead, the best players to help them do that are Gronkowski; receivers Danny Amendola, Julian Edelman and rookies Aaron Dobson and Josh Boyce; running backs Stevan Ridley and Shane Vereen and tight end Jake Ballard. Vereen, entering his third season, could be the key. The Patriots love his versatility and were toying with him as a receiver last year. He could become the new flex player, even if he isn’t a tight end.

The Patriots often get better as the season progresses. It might be a little messy early, especially considering Gronkowski’s injury problems, but if New England can get through the first half of the season in reasonable shape, things should start to come together—especially when Brady is your quarterback. It’s not ideal that he’ll be without receivers Wes Welker (free agent) or Brandon Lloyd (released), and that Gronkowski might not be at full speed, but Brady has dealt with this kind of personnel turnover before. He’ll do what he always does: find the defensive flaw or mismatch on a given play and throw to the open player, regardless of who that is.

But there are issues of concern on the field. The Patriots waited far too long to overhaul their receiving corps, and their complicated playbook can be impenetrable to rookies at the position. They chose the athletic Amendola over the reliable Welker, but Amendola has missed 20 games the past two seasons. In fact, health will be a big question with this team—key players such as Amendola, Gronkowski, right tackle Sebatian Vollmer, linebacker Brandon Spikes and cornerbacks Aqib Talib and Ras-I Dowling all have had problems staying on the field in recent years. And New England put a lot of free-agent eggs in the basket of former Raiders defensive tackle Tommy Kelly, who has underachieved for most of his career. After the release of Kyle Love and Brandon Deaderick, the Patriots have no experienced depth in the middle of the line behind Wilfork and Kelly.

History tells us that the Patriots will not be distracted by their tumultuous offseason, no matter how the public perceives them. If they don’t succeed, it won’t be because a valuable offensive player is in jail awaiting a murder trial. It will be because the players they have aren’t good enough.

That's a very good article by Beddard. But one thing in particular jumped out at me because I've been thinking it since our last SB appearance.
    The Patriots waited far too long to overhaul their receiving corps, and their complicated playbook can be impenetrable to rookies at the position.
    I thought after our last SB that we needed to replace Wes and I was speaking about it last year when the inital contract talks started. Teams just knew we hadn't got a serious deep threat since Moss left and it has hurt us, especially in the big games. I think we became a bit predictable in the last couple of years with Wes. Gronk being missing for key games only compounded this problem.

With Brady not getting any younger, we should have brought in the young WR talent last season. A year under the belt would have really helped and with Wes and no. 81 now gone, they really could have stepped up this year. So I think a year was wasted and as usual it's poor old Brady that has to patch things together.

I've no doubt that we will be looking back in a few years time and realise how taked for granted Brady was. While other teams look for elite WR's to help their QB's. We have all to often gone for the low round value pick or UDFA. I have no doubt this approach has cost us a Championship or two and it pisses me off tbh.

My one glimmer of hope right now is Dobson and Boyce. If these kids are fit for camp and can step up and keep healthy for the season. They could be just the kid of toys Brady really needs right now. So I don't know about you guys, but I'm not only crossing my fingers, I'm also crossing my testicles. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

The Pats have released WR Donald Jones, he was signed to a three year deal back in March. Surprised he never made it to camp, but then again, I heard nothing about him at all during OTA's/mini-camp.

Two rookie WR have also been brought in for camp, Perez Ashford and Quentin Sims. So the list of WR's heading into camp now looks like this...

Danny Amendola
    Julian Edelman
    Michael Jenkins
    Kenbrell Thompkins
    Aaron Dobson
    Josh Boyce
    Kamar Aiken
    Matthew Slater
    Lavelle Hawkins
    Mark Harrison
    Perez Ashford

Talk about a total refit. If Brady racks up the numbers he normally does, throwing to that new bunch? Then he's gotta be a lock for league MVP in 2013.

With Gronk still out that WR group has me scared. Its been a while since there was so much unknown about the offense at the start of a season.

What happens when Amendola and Edelman get their normal mid season injury's ??:(

Personally I have never seen anything like it for any team. Where a QB is going into a new season with a totally new and unproven receiving WR corp. a time in his career when we should be trying to make Brady comfortable and make life easier for him. He gets this shít to deal with, having to break in and train and whole new bunch of WR's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I think Vereen is going to be huge this year.

Another person who may prove an interesting pickup now is Washington.

With limited proven receiving threats on the edge, I could see a pro-gun set with Vereen and Washington causing some coverage mis-matches with LB's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

BizzyC wrote: »
    I think Vereen is going to be huge this year.
    We need him to be huge.
    The receiving corp is weak to begin the season. If it was another team, I don't think we'd be have much expectations for them.

But with Tom and Bill, we have a chance; and we should still win the division.
    With Gronk returning late in the season, there is still the possibility of coming close in the playoffs.

I see Ballard has been put on the PUP list heading into training camp. The guy had knee surgery in January 2012 and still 19 months later he still can't play. I really can't see him making the roster now and if it is still the same knee? I'd really worry for his future career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I see Ballard has been put on the PUP list heading into training camp. The guy had knee surgery in January 2012 and still 19 months later he still can't play. I really can't see him making the roster now and if it is still the same knee? I'd really worry for his future career.

Genuinely thought he was going to be a big player for the Pats next season given the circumstances and his abilities but looking increasingly unlikely now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Genuinely thought he was going to be a big player for the Pats next season given the circumstances and his abilities but looking increasingly unlikely now.

Was disappointed when ye snatched him away as he really had alot of potential. Must be something seriously up at this stage. What seems to be the most worrying thing is that he has not gone for more surgery. 18 months n still injured is a write off :(

Ya it's a big dissapointment about Ballard. Delighted we got him last season, but things don't seem to be going in the right direction for him. Of course it's just in keeping with the run of luck we seem to be having thes past few months. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Ya it's a big dissapointment about Ballard. Delighted we got him last season, but things don't seem to be going in the right direction for him. Of course it's just in keeping with the run of luck we seem to be having thes past few months. :(

Passed his physical today, now back off PUP list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Hi lads, thinking of heading over to Boston and Pittsburgh in October for 4 NHL games, but looking to also get tickets for the Saints@Pats and Ravens@Steelers games. Do you think StubHub is a good , reliable way to organise tickets for these games? Has anyone used it in the past? Seems to have plenty of seats available in the nosebleeds for a decent rate for both games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

ballard.gif

That was a heartbreaking moment but it showed how determined he was. I hope the guy gets out on the field and I'd love to see him back as a Giant one day

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Hi lads, thinking of heading over to Boston and Pittsburgh in October for 4 NHL games, but looking to also get tickets for the Saints@Pats and Ravens@Steelers games. Do you think StubHub is a good , reliable way to organise tickets for these games? Has anyone used it in the past? Seems to have plenty of seats available in the nosebleeds for a decent rate for both games.

StubHub is sound, I haven't used it myself but others have here. So I wouldn't worry about using it if I was you.

• Advertisement

me89 wrote: »
    Passed his physical today, now back off PUP list

Good news and I hope he really is able to give 100% now in camp.
    ballard.gif

That was a heartbreaking moment but it showed how determined he was. I hope the guy gets out on the field and I'd love to see him back as a Giant one day

Wish you didn't post that tbh :(, I just hate seeing any player going down like that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement