Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Overall a good first half.
    Should have been 7:21, but dumb penalties and poor safety play means it's 10:18.
    Tom remains the key to success.
    Vereen displaying what he brings to the offence.
    Sudfeld minimising the loss of Hernandez/Gronk.
    Running game doing well.
    Defence for the first 1/4 was very good, Rob and Jones the standouts.

Down to 2nd/3rd string to put in a performance in the 2nd half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Mallett is grand and looks like he was getting into the game after an indifferent start. Vereen should have caught that pass on the last series, but he's done well otherwise. Sudfeld is a star in the making...Aaron who I ask? Good to see Gost had good leg strength with his kick, just unlucky with the upright. Our kick off return has been rubbish and Edelman doesn't know whether to run left or right.

Don't understand why Tebow came in so early. 2 x 3 and out, and the defence spends a lot of time on the field.

Not much to admire since HT.

Mallett should have played until the end of the 3rd. Man, that was so bad from Tebow.

One of the worst throws you're likely to see at Gillette.
    Tebow heading out the door at this rate.

• Advertisement

He's pretty dire, some think he's only here for the off-season to keeps Brady and Mallett healthy. And that looks like a realistic possibility the more I see him play.

4 outs in a row.
    Stadium emptying.
    You can hear the booing at times.
    Tebow might be a confident guy, but this has got to hit him.

Nothing wrong with him when he runs the ball. But that's not what our offense is about.

Looking back at the preseason game, Brady as usual looked so impressive on the field. But I was also very pleased with Mallett. Once he shook of a few cob webs on his first couple of plays, he settled in really well. He looked authoritative in the huddle and commanded his pocket really well. On top of making a couple of fine passes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

I see Amendola has missed the last 2 practices with a suspected injury. Let's hope it's only a knock, and not a sign of things to come........

• Advertisement

I was just thinking the same thing myself. He was reported to be dealing with a minor injury issue. But his talent will be meaningless to us if he doesn't prove his durability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I was just thinking the same thing myself. He was reported to be dealing with a minor injury issue. But his talent will be meaningless to us if he doesn't prove his durability.

My hope is that this is just precautionary stuff in light of his injury history and not a sign of more issues....

BizzyC wrote: »
    My hope is that this is just precautionary stuff in light of his injury history and not a sign of more issues....

Hopefully so, but not good that the season hasn't even started yet and they're taking precautionary steps with. I hope it's not a sign of things to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Thought I'd misrea that score line at first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Did Tebow play last night & if so what was his stat line? NFL.com dont have a star line for him. Do ye reckon he is done in NE?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Did Tebow play last night & if so what was his stat line? NFL.com dont have a star line for him. Do ye reckon he is done in NE?

He didn't play at all. I hope he's done but I have a feeling he'll end up making the roster :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Followed the game on livescore and will watch the condensed game later. Scoreline reflects a poor game for NE. How long did Brady stay on for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Pathetic watching a nobody on the Detroit D trying to goad a future HOF'er and 3 time SB champ.

Brady looked out of sorts with his 2 best receivers out. Gronk and Amendola are vital for you guys. Brady's throw for the pick was into traffic, rushed and inaccurate. That just ain't Brady. Wonder how bad the hand got hit.

On the plus side, his hair was magnificent.

BKWDR wrote: »
    Followed the game on livescore and will watch the condensed game later. Scoreline reflects a poor game for NE. How long did Brady stay on for?

For the fist half. Very poor performance from the team.

davyjose wrote: »
    Pathetic watching a nobody on the Detroit D trying to goad a future HOF'er and 3 time SB champ.

He really was a classless prick alright. The likes of Brady and are Mannign are footballing royalty in the league imo. They've earned their dues, walked the walk and everyone's respect. Seeing that idiot behave the way he did really was cingeworthy. Even the commentators on Game pass called it out.
    Brady looked out of sorts with his 2 best receivers out. Gronk and Amendola are vital for you guys. Brady's throw for the pick was into traffic, rushed and inaccurate. That just ain't Brady.

Last night really was a timely reminder that we have a complete new offense on the field. They have showed some great potential at times and seem to be ahead of schedule. But patience will be needed with these young guys and errors are to be expected. For a man that virtually never throws an Int, it's rare to see but I think it's also on his target. Which I think was Blount.
    Wonder how bad the hand got hit.

I think I missed that, was that when one of the Lions D deflected a pass from behind?
    On the plus side, his hair was magnificent.

:D very good. Was laughing at the Game pass commentators last night, after one or two late hits on Brady - "Hey, you can't do that to the NFL's poster boy." The other commentator follows up with - "Ya, but he's one tough competitor." One of the few highlights of the night for us Pats fans.

• Advertisement

but I think it's also on his target. Which I think was Blount.
    From the replay behind, it looked to be heading towards Blounts feet. Straight as a die, as usual though.

I think I missed that, was that when one of the Lions D deflected a pass from behind?

I think so yeah. His hand came down on the Defender's helmet. It was definitely cut (the boys on nfl channel were joking calling it very expensive blood). Nothing to worry about long term, but might have thrown him out of stride. Plus the only real way to affect Brady's game is to pressure him, get in his face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

You wouldn't know when this happened in the game or was it throughout? This is the part where watching the condensed game sucks

From the replay behind, it looked to be heading towards Blounts feet. Straight as a die, as usual though.

Oh O.k. I didn't see it from that angle and I only gotta a glimpse of the replay.

I think so yeah. His hand came down on the Defender's helmet. It was definitely cut (the boys on nfl channel were joking calling it very expensive blood). Nothing to worry about long term, but might have thrown him out of stride. Plus the only real way to affect Brady's game is to pressure him, get in his face.

Jaysus I missed that too. I'm my defense, I must have been on a trip to fridge for another consolation beer. He made a few nice plays/escapes under pressure with a collapsed pocket. Too often though, there was guy hanging on to a body part when he was releasing the pass.

But the pressure on him was almost non-stop and all credit for the Lions D for that. In a meaningless game like that I would have pulled him earlier. The Lions were totally psyched up for it. Reminded of teams when they play Man U, they want that scalp preseason or not.

BKWDR wrote: »
    You wouldn't know when this happened in the game or was it throughout? This is the part where watching the condensed game sucks

It was on a particular play, I think it was at least midway into the second quarter or maybe near to half time.

Anyway not too worry, here it is for you...

Sorry about the quality, it's not great. You can't see it there but I think Brady said - Wtf is this shít? to the ref.

NFL.com have the highlights.

Corvus is right. That win will probably be the highlight of their season.

It was a worrying night for the Pats fans who were watching, in particular for the OL. The Lions had the NE QB in trouble all night. In a game when we had dropped passes and 4 turnovers in the first half, we could have done with more protection for the QB. Plus the OL did nothing for the running game.

But I'm kinda over the game already. The first two turnovers were forced turnovers; the Lions D did a great job in both those plays. So I'll give a slight pass to both Sudfeld and Bolden. Vereen had no excuse, and Tom's INT could have been picked off by one of three Lions players.

It was incredible that we were still in the game by HT. Stafford was possible the worst QB on display. The Lions should blown out the Pats by HT after some great field positions. Full credit to the Pats D in the first half, stepped up and did very well.
    Also got to give praise to Thompkins, he looked good tonight.

I don't really mind the loss.
    1. It's preseason.
    2. We have a lot of rookies out there, mistakes will happen
    3. This will deflate a few heads that may have thought this was easy in the NFL; Sudfeld will learn from last night
    4. Dealing with a lot of short field positions, the first team defense stood up quite well
    5. Still have avoided any serious injuries
    6. It's preseason

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Corvus is right. That win will probably be the highlight of their season.

:rolleyes:
    What a ridiculous statement to make. A preseason win over the Patriots a highlight? They also beat them two years ago in preseason & that certainly wasn't a highlight than. Why would it be now?

The main reason they psyched up for the game was probably because thay were an embarressment against the Browns last week & wanted to put on show for the fans in Detroit. To do it against Brady & co was just a bonus.

Lionbacker wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    What a ridiculous statement to make. A preseason win over the Patriots a highlight? They also beat them two years ago in preseason & that certainly wasn't a highlight than. Why would it be now?

In fairness I think Davy meant that tongue in cheek. You should know him by now, he's not a crap stirrer.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

In fairness I think Davy meant that tongue in cheek. You should know him by now, he's not a crap stirrer.
    Apologies if so.
    Just getting tired of hearing disregarding remarks (not on here I may add) this offseason, on the Lions chances of making an impact for the coming season.

• Advertisement

Ninkovich and Thompkins were the best players on the field night. Rob was just all over the backfield. He has been the best player for us all preseason. I just hope he can stay healthy, because I think he will have an even better year than last year. Thompkins was Brady's go to guy last night. Which is pretty amazing considering he's a rookie UDFA. But I was happy enough with all the rookies overall last night, yes some mistakes but they'll learn from them.

RB's should know well enough at this stage about ball security. Their turnovers were stupid and unnecessary. Bolden looked like he was going to do some damage with his running - then bang, he fumbles a pass. I can't see what Leon Washington is bringing to the team. His great return ability has been none existent. In fact the only player who has caught my eye returning this preseason, has been Blount and no one else. Some reckon Washington's a back up to Vereen, but I haven't seen enough of him in the Vereen role to agree.

I have my doubts about Adrian Wilson making the cut. He's so clearly a step behind in pass coverage. His main use I can see and because of his size, would be an extra LB in a Blitz package and that's it. But even when doing that in a dime package last night, he had a bad miss on Bush that let him through for a 67 yard gain. This is the time of year we want to see the mistakes. Overall, lots of stuff for Bill to bust balls over, which is no bad thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement