Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Lionbacker wrote: »
    Apologies if so.
    Just getting tired of hearing disregarding remarks (not on here I may add) this offseason, on the Lions chances of making an impact for the coming season.

I tell you what, that was a damn fine defensive performance by you guys last night. It's not very often you see Brady getting hassled like that. And if you keep playing like that, then you've every reason to look forward to 2013. You guys just need to take better opportunities with your turnovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

It was on a particular play, I think it was at least midway into the second quarter or maybe near to half time.

Anyway not too worry, here it is for you...

Sorry about the quality, it's not great. You can't see it there but I think Brady said - Wtf is this shít? to the ref.

That taunting was one of the most pathetic acts I've ever seen in my life.

A nobody, grabbing Brady and pointing a figure in his face after a miss-complete pass in a meaningless preseason game...what a douche-bag, giving up a first down and getting benched by your coach, good job, good effort.

Suh was apparently taunting Brady on the way into the tunnel at half time also :rolleyes:

The complete lack of discipline and general douche-baggery of the Lions team seems like its out of control. 5 personal fouls in the game and several more could have been called (i presume the refs just ran out of flags at that point), and in preseason too, where it costs you nothing to bench players and make an example of them!?!

Its only a matter of time where the Lions have another incident like the Suh stamping incident and Lions players start getting suspended. Has Schwartz lost control? or is he just encouraging the lack of discipline?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Just getting tired of hearing disregarding remarks (not on here I may add) this offseason, on the Lions chances of making an impact for the coming season.
    Stafford is a worry for the Lions. Lions should have been out of sight by HT. Pats won't be that bad again, and Lions will pay for having to settle for FG's if they miss out on chances to put teams away early. Having CJ will of course make a difference in RZ :)
    The defense also needs to realise that playing tough football, isn't the same as stupid football. Dumb penalties can cost pts/games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Lads, it was abit of taunting, happens every game, usually in the form of smack talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

TaosHum wrote: »
    Lads, it was abit of taunting, happens every game, usually in the form of smack talk.
    If a flag is thrown, then it's just stupid.
    Off the field, then ok. But you need to back up the smack talk. Last night the Lions did that. But when you're losing to the Browns.......

• Advertisement

But it was way, way OTT for a meaningless preseason game imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Hazys wrote: »
    The complete lack of discipline and general douche-baggery of the Lions team seems like its out of control. 5 personal fouls in the game and several more could have been called (i presume the refs just ran out of flags at that point), and in preseason too, where it costs you nothing to bench players and make an example of them!?!

Its only a matter of time where the Lions have another incident like the Suh stamping incident and Lions players start getting suspended. Has Schwartz lost control? or is he just encouraging the lack of discipline?

Yeah, I don't know whats went wrong. Last season they seemed much more diciplined, but they're back to commiting bone-headed penalties so far this preseason. I just hope somethings done about when the regular season comes round.
    Stafford is a worry for the Lions. Lions should have been out of sight by HT. Pats won't be that bad again, and Lions will pay for having to settle for FG's if they miss out on chances to put teams away early. Having CJ will of course make a difference in RZ :)
    The defense also needs to realise that playing tough football, isn't the same as stupid football. Dumb penalties can cost pts/games.

The first team offence is a worry alright but Stafford was without Megatron as mentioned & also Ryan Broyles who was only introduced after half time & is coming back from an ACL injury. They are the two most reliable receivers for the offence & it will hopefully get better when those two are back on the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

:rolleyes:
    What a ridiculous statement to make. A preseason win over the Patriots a highlight? They also beat them two years ago in preseason & that certainly wasn't a highlight than.

Faor enough. You're right but all week there was talk from Suh about hitting Brady. Getting up in a guys face. Sounds like they took it more serious than your average preseason game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

But it was way, way OTT for a meaningless preseason game imo.

What he did was stupid because he hurt his team. But considering you see players swing, kick, push and illegally hit other players, Young putting his finger in Brady's face and talking abit of smack is very tame in comparison.

Although Brady is a future HOF'er, it doesn't make him immune to that type of treatment.

What he did was stupid because he hurt his team. But considering you see players swing, kick, push and illegally hit other players, Young putting his finger in Brady's face and talking abit of smack is very tame in comparison.

Although Brady is a future HOF'er, it doesn't make him immune to that type of treatment.

I didn't say anything about him being immune and I don't think anyone else did either. But when a nobody player does that to a living legend. Then he's only making a total arse of himself. Brady's a big boy and always handles such idiots with aplomb. What made it ridiculous is the preseason status of the game. If it's a regular season game, then he wouldn't have looked so bad and you would be more inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.

• Advertisement

Nobody is saying Brady should be immune. Sure Brady trash talks himself. My favorite Brady trash talking moments was with Ray Lewis in the playoffs a few years ago, completely neutralizing the Ray Lewis intimation factor

And when the Steelers backup safety guaranteed victory over the Pats. Brady went after him twice and scored two touchdowns on him. On the 2nd TD Brady ran up to him and got stuck in his face...almost started an all out brawl. (couldn't find it on YouTube).

On the flip side, apparently he was jawing with Richard Sherman all game last year and Sherman got the last laugh coming off the field with "U mad bro?" picture.

Its weird to me that people think Brady is weak and needs to be protected. The guy is a badass, hes well able to protect himself and if you go after Brady more times than not, you are the one that's getting burned.

My issue with the Lions taunting is that it was pathetic. It was a meaningless game. Whoever that guy was (i don't even remember his name from the video which i watch a whole 30 minutes ago) is a nobody, what did he prove from that? Did he show up Brady? is he better than Brady? The only thing he showed is that he is an idiot and gave up a first down. Same goes for Suh.

Nobody is saying Brady should be immune. Sure Brady trash talks himself. My favorite Brady trash talking moments was with Ray Lewis in the playoffs a few years ago, completely neutralizing the Ray Lewis intimation factor

I'll miss the Tom and Ray battles :(, they used to have some classic thrash talk on the field. Yet they had so much man love for each other off the field.

True. But doing it to a guy like Brady, high profile, clearly not a nasty character, just serves to highlight the scumbaggeryness of the act.

On another topic, I'm absolutely delighted for Kenbrell Thompkins.

Somebody posted this article here before i believe and its even more remarkable now, how much he has changed his life around:

http://www.newsrecord.org/sports/article_32f369fa-974f-11e2-83c2-0019bb30f31a.html

He only got a $5,000 signing bonus from the Pats this off-season, so he was a massive longshot to make the team.

I hav no issue with what suh did I only have an issue with what nobody did because it causes a penalty I agree Brady deserves the utmost respect the mans a legend one of the greatest to ever play the game but if I'm a defender I'm trash talking I'm leaning on him as I get up etc chances are I won't phase him this is Tom Brady were talking about after all but it costs me nothing and I there's the slimmest chance it slows him down for a fraction of a second on one throw then hell ya I do it.

I don't agree he's a scumbag just an idiot for costing his team yards

It's worth noting, his coach benched him after the incident.

On another topic, I'm absolutely delighted for Kenbrell Thompkins.

Somebody posted this article here before i believe and its even more remarkable now, how much he has changed his life around:

http://www.newsrecord.org/sports/article_32f369fa-974f-11e2-83c2-0019bb30f31a.html

He only got a $5,000 signing bonus from the Pats this off-season, so he was a massive longshot to make the team.

If he stays healthy and keeps showing the excellent promise he has so far, this guy could be something special. His ability to get separating from the line of scrimmage is top notch. Defensive backs have a lot of trouble tying him up. Talib was raving about him in camp a few weeks ago and specifically mentioned that quality. He was Brady's only bright spark on offense against the Lions, totaling 8 catches and 126 yards. If he keeps that up, then he should earn himself a well deserved juicy contract when his time comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,908 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Somebody mentioned the OL not looking good. Well roll back a season to the last preseason and it looked horrific but by the time the regular season got going they were pretty awesome.

The defense is the worry for me as per usual, they just don't look that good at the moment.

Gotta say I was very impressed by Kellen Moore last night. I know he was playing against the weaker players but he just looked really good to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Leaving this here for future usage ...

269133.gif

Ras-I Dowling cut, even with the uncertainty over Dennard it looks like we don't need him. A disappointing 2nd round CB who never could stay healthy, its a pity because he had so much potential.

Pats now have 8 CBs on the roster:
    Aqib Talib, Alfonzo Dennard, Kyle Arrington, Logan Ryan, Marquice Cole, Stephon Morris, LeQuan Lewis, Justin Green

I epect us to carry 5: Aqib Talib, Alfonzo Dennard, Kyle Arrington, Logan Ryan, Marquice Cole.

Dowling being cut probably says a lot about how good a preseason Logan Ryan is having.

• Advertisement

I was just going to post here about who I think might be gone this weekend. So I'm not surprised at all to see Dowling cut. He was first on my list.....

Ras I Dowling - nearly 4 years talking about this great talent, problem was the guy couldn't even get on the field. He needed to have a real good camp and preseason, but he couldn't even stay healthy for that. I can't see any team touching him because of his injury record.

Germain Cunnigham - I won't be surprised to see this guy go. He's battled injuries all through camp and hasn't made a preseason game yet. He has underachieved and lacked production as a Patriot. That and the PED suspension last year will weight against him. Now he did play out of position a lot last year as an interior pass rusher. So the only thing that might save him is his versatility.

Leon Washington - So far he has brought nothing to our kickoff return game. Blount has been the most eye catching returner so far. And with Blount, Edelman, Boyce and Slater available, we are not short of returners. The only thing I can see that might save him is, I think he will cover and step in for Vereens reps if he goes down. And I don't think Vereen is the most durable player.

Adrian Wilson - He didn't have a great camp, is non-existent covering the pass. He was badly exposed against the Lions last week, with that miss on bush allowing the 67 yard gain. McCourty and Gregory will be the starters. Gregory isn't the best himself, but he is better than Wilson. Wilson's only use could be in the Dime package, but he was in the dime package when he missed Bush. So I have my doubts about him.

Tedow - I still can't get over how shockingly bad he was in the Buccs game. So far he is 5 of 19 for 54 yards 1 Int and 26% completion rate? He ain't know passing QB. We don't often keep 3 QB's on the roster, so why Tebow? Now unless they have some sneaky trick plays planned, I can't see a reason for him staying. Maybe Josh thinks we can offered the luxury of keeping him as a project and seeing how he fairs out next year. We will know soon enough I suppose.

Jake Bequette - he could also be on the cusp of being cut. He's not really done much since he arrived and I haven't even noticed him. I think it could be a battle between him and Cunningham for a roster spot.

My second attempt:
    QB (2) Brady, Mallett
    RB (4) Ridley, Vereen, Bolden, Blount
    WR (6) Amendola, Dobson, Boyce, Slater, Thompkins, Edelman
    TE (4) Hoomanawanui, Ballard, Fells, Sudfeld
    C (1) Wendell
    G (4) Mankins, Connolly, Cannon, Kline
    T (3) Vollmer, Solder, Svitek
    DE (5) Ninkovich, Francis, Cunningham, Jones, Benard
    DT (4) Wilfork, Forston, Kelly, Pena
    ILB(3) Spikes, Fletcher, Beauharnais
    OLB(3) Mayo, Collins, Hightower
    CB (5) Talib, Arrington, Cole, Ryan, Dennard
    SS (3) Wilson, Wilson, Ebner
    FS (3) McCourty, Harmon, Gregory
    ST (3) Mesko, Aiken, Gostkowski

Total players: 53
    Created with Pats Picker: http://patspicker.patsfans.com

QB: Tebow doesn't make the team...he's an awful QB. Also i don't think well have any hassle picking him up as FA during the season if we are stuck so no reason to keep him on the opening day roster. The only reason to have him on the roster is because of his leadership skills.

RB: I think Washington just misses out. He didn't get that many looks in the preseason that was strange. If we do keep 5 RBs he makes it, probably off the back off young RBs fumbling the football and veterans experience is needed.

WR: is set. I'd be shocked if any of the 6 above didn't make it. Edelman was supposedly on the bubble at the start of camp but he's a solid backup in the slot to Amendola.

TE: Gronk starts on PUP. 4 seems excessive but i expect one to be cut when Gronk returns.

OL: Very thin in quality depth on the Oline. Even tho the top 7 Oline guys are very versatile, I expect us to possibly pick up a veteran on waivers. Kline is there by default at this stage as cover for Cannon who is carrying an injury.

DE: I have Cunningham here because he can play inside too as we are very thin at DT. Cunningham has shown flashes of potential, but this is a contract year for him so its make or break for him.
    I dont think Bequette makes it. I've seen nothing of value from him ever. Benard is a much better option.

DT: Like the OL very thin on quality depth. Pena is there by default but I expect us to possibly pick up a veteran on waivers.

LB: No idea if Beauharnais or Tarpinaian or Rivera are higher ranked by the Pats in terms of special teams but I give the nod to Beauharnais because he is less likely to make it through waivers than the other 2.

CB: No real controversy here. Harmon can also play here.

S: I think A Wilson makes it, mostly by default. As a veteran maybe he can offer some leadership and experience in the locker room.

ST: Mesko beats out Allen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

QB (3) Brady, Mallett, Tebow
    Have this weird feeling we will keep Tebow.
    RB (5) Ridley, Vereen, Blount, Washington, Develin
    Bolden for me will be cut. Unreliable at the best of times. I do see us keeping Develin as a FB though for short yards and Goalline.
    WR (6) Amendola, Thompkins, Dobson, Boyce, Edelman, Slater
    Obvious candidates
    TE (3) Hoomanawanui, Sudfeld, Ballard, Fells

Fells cut when Gronk is off PUP
    C (1) Wendell
    G (4) Mankins, Connolly, McDonald, Cannon
    T (3) Vollmer, Solder, Svitek
    8 of them all together and the most versaitaille of the lot. I don think McDonald will be kept over Kline though.
    DE (5) Ninkovich, Jones, Cunningham, Francis, Benard
    Same as you Hazy. Good thing with Benard he can cover as a DT also so he has that upside

DT (3) Wilfork, Kelly, Forston
    Not many to choose from but the 3 obvious choices
    ILB(3) Spikes, Fletcher, Beauharnais
    Again the obvious choices. Beauharnias is the type of guy coaches like and will provide adequate cover for our ILB and be a solid special teams player.
    OLB(3) Mayo, Hightower, Collins
    CB (5) Talib, Dennard, Arrington, Ryan, Cole
    No surprises here either at OLB and at CB these 5 are the obvious 5 based on camp and pre-season
    SS (3) Wilson, Wilson,
    Ebner for me will be cut and its a tough one. I really hope Im wrong with Tebow so the extra spot is there for Ebner.
    FS (3) McCourty, Gregory, Harmon
    ST (3) Gostkowski, Mesko, Aiken
    No surprises here. Harmon provides alright cover and is a solid ST. Mesko over Allen also. Allen will be picked up by someone though. What Mesko has over Allen is hang time even though Allen has a better distance punt Meskos ability to leave it up there wins out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,908 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think Tebow gets cut, no show in the most important preseason games points to that. I think Ebner and Bequette both make it. I think we go 4 RBs or 3 TEs. Hoomanawanui is who I see getting cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭DBIreland

Is Armstead out injured or is he gonna make it?

TO. wrote: »
    What Mesko has over Allen is hang time even though Allen has a better distance punt Meskos ability to leave it up there wins out.

I was looking at both guys hang time and Mesko clearly wins. I never saw the need for him to be facing competiton anyway. Ghost was the man who should have had the competition this year imo.

DBIreland wrote: »

Armstead is currently on the Reserve/Non-Football related injury list. which means he can come back to practice after week 6 of the season. He also doesn't count against the roster for being on this list. So I would expect to see him back on the radar after week 6. It's just a real pity to see he has missed so much time, because he really is an intriguing signing.

He was placed on the NFI (Non Football Injury) list a few days ago. Id say the Pats expect him to be back after 6 weeks in the season.
    I was looking at both guys hang time and Mesko clearly wins. I never saw the need for him to be facing competiton anyway. Ghost was the man who should have had the competition this year imo.

Agreed. Gost better get his head out of his arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭DBIreland

Armstead is currently on the Reserve/Non-Football related injury list.

Is this the list Gronk is on too?
    The various lists confuse me :confused:

• Advertisement

Is this the list Gronk is on too?
    The various lists confuse me :confused:

Nope Gronk will be on the Pup list as his injury is football related.

Pre-season PUP means the player can comeback at anytime. This is a player placed on the PUP pre-season.

Regular season pup is a list that players are put on when they are still injured coming out of camp and preseason and into the regular season. They have to wait 6 games before getting back on the roster after taken off pup.

NFI is the same as either of the above depending on the circumstance so in this case Armstead would be on the regular season equivalant.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement