Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Hazys wrote: »
    Well that prediction is turning into a piece of ship.

Fells, Ballard and Benard all cut in the last 30 minutes

Fells I saw coming must mean gronk will be on the 53 and not pup but Ballard has to be struggling with injury still as for Benard im surprised even though he was average but i thought he would be kept due to his versatillity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

They have faith in Gronkowski at least. Ballard wasn't seeing much action in preseason (which must mean they like Sudfield). Or they're going to use any free spaces they somehow come up with to bring in a new TE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

They have faith in Gronkowski at least. Ballard wasn't seeing much action in preseason (which must mean they like Sudfield). Or they're going to use any free spaces they somehow come up with to bring in a new TE.

Ballard in the first preseason game started with the First team offense so I'm surprised...it must have been a lingering injury issue.

The full 10 cut today...no major surprises among the other 7:

TE Jake Ballard
    DE Marcus Benard
    TE Daniel Fells
    WR Johnathan Haggerty
    LB Mike Rivera
    OL Luke Patterson
    FB Ben Bartholomew
    DL Gilbert Pena
    C Matt Stankiewitch
    DL Scott Vallone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Be interesting to see if Giants are interested in bringing back Ballard. Myers has done nothing in pre-season & our big hope Adrien Robinson suffered an injury & will be put on IR for 1st 6 weeks of the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I thought we'd keep Fells until Gronk returned, but his durability issues and cap hit obviously played against him. Ballard was no surprise, once I seen him still hobbling before the preseason games even started, I thought his time was up. Really surprised that Washington isn't gone yet because he hasn't really done anything.

• Advertisement

Considering we only signed him six weeks ago, Quentin Sims had some very nice plays last night and two TD's. While he might miss out on a roster spot, I hope they tuck him away on the practice squad. Weird to be heading into the season with such a crop of talented young rookies. Last year we hadn't a WR under 30, but this year is different and it makes a refreshing and exciting change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Will Tebow hang on lads?

Paully D wrote: »
    Will Tebow hang on lads?

Before the Giants game I was 100% sure he was gone, but now I'm not so sure. Some of his play last night was terrible, he was sacked 4 times 2 of which was due to his slowness in deciding who to target. The other 2 sacks were due to very bad snaps by the center. Some of his deeper incomplete passes weren't even close to his target. Then he floated a nice TD into the end zone to win it. He went 6 for 11 on his passing last night. Which was a lot better than his performance against the Buccs, when he went 1 for 7.

Watching him and Josh before the game, you could see Josh giving him the big motivational speech and a big warm hug. He's clearly quite fond of Tebow. Maybe he still wants to keep him as a side project and see how a another year would help him. Consistency would make him a serviceable, but there's no way he'll ever pass out Mallett. He is a very likeable guy and a good role model for younger players, but that alone won't give him a roster spot.
    So to sum up, I'd say he's 50-50 right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Before the Giants game I was 100% sure he was gone, but now I'm not so sure. Some of his play last night was terrible, he was sacked 4 times 2 of which was due to his slowness in deciding who to target. The other 2 sacks were due to very bad snaps by the center. Some of his deeper incomplete passes weren't even close to his target. Then he floated a nice TD into the end zone to win it. He went 6 for 11 on his passing last night. Which was a lot better than his performance against the Buccs, when he went 1 for 7.

Watching him and Josh before the game, you could see Josh giving him the big motivational speech and a big warm hug. He's clearly quite fond of Tebow. Maybe he still wants to keep him as a side project and see how a another year would help him. Consistency would make him a serviceable, but there's no way he'll ever pass out Mallett. He is a very likeable guy and a good role model for younger players, but that alone won't give him a roster spot.
    So to sum up, I'd say he's 50-50 right now.

I still struggle to understand his role in the squad. Like, and I know it's a clichè at this stage, but Tebow's a QB who can't pass the ball to a high standard. Something which should be bread and butter and a prerequisite for any QB.

One of his completions this pre-season summed it up more than any of his incompletions when he got decent yardage and the ball must have travelled ~15 yards in the air but it all appeared to travel painfully slow, he can't throw the ball with speed and accuracy and so you described it perfectly when you say he floated that TD pass, something which we know will lead to more interceptions and more 'hospital' passes for the receiving corps.

The bottom line is:

He won't ever beat out Brady.
    He won't be a better backup than Mallet without a ridiculous system change.
    He'll never be good enough to start and lead any team, let alone ever take over from TB.

So why is he still here :(

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    something which we know will lead to more interceptions and more 'hospital' passes for the receiving corps.

I didn't mean literally floated and I actually meant it as a compliment to him. It was actually a good pass. Mallett tried something similar in the first half and it was intercepted. But I put some of the responsibility for that on Dobson, who made a rookie mistake of not really competing for the ball. bBut with Tebow, I don't think we can afford a guy who throws a decent pass outta every 10/20 attempts.

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    He won't ever beat out Brady.
    He won't be a better backup than Mallet without a ridiculous system change.
    He'll never be good enough to start and lead any team, let alone ever take over from TB.

So why is he still here :(

He's still here because of Josh, Josh still sees him as an unfinished project from Denver. But Bill might have the final say on that later. If he stays, it is not to replace Mallett. Maybe there are some trick plays in the pipeline, I don't know. The one thing I do know is he will not be replacing any of our QB's.

Speaking of Mallett, I was pleased with his preseason. Every game, he seemed a little but rusty coming off the blocks. But once he got his game rhythm going, he led some commanding drives and made some fine plays. The 40 yard TD to Boyce the other might was a beautiful play. He led the defense astray with his eyes and movement to the right and then switched back to the left and made that sweet throw. His arm strength is phenomenal, is was effortless to him. I've always liked Mallett and even in his interviews this year, you can see the confidence and maturity he has developed from working with Brady.

Nobody can replace God, But I'm happy that Mallett would do a solid job if asked to step up. I'd love Mallet to stay with usand a patiently wait his turn. But with Brady looking as good as ever and being a guy who looks after himself so well. It might be a big ask to have Mallett sitting on the bench for a few more years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Tebow was just cut according to Schefter

Gronk is on the roster and will not be on PUP. I just hope they're not rushing him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I'd imagine that just about does it for him unless a team wants to sell a few shirts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'd imagine that just about does it for him unless a team wants to sell a few shirts.

Yep, that's the end for him now IMO. I got caught in the hype as much as the next man, and no NFL fan will forget that run he went on with the Broncos a couple of years ago, but he just can't throw a football. :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Yeah I'd imagine he'll pop up in Canada or something, or else media.

Tebow was just cut according to Schefter

I was worried Josh might think he could be fixed, thankfully he was smart enough to know when something can't be fixed. The game against the Buccs said it all, it was the worst performance I've ever seen any QB in a Pats jersey ever play.

6hCfvG.jpg

Mesko gone, that's a surprise. Thought he just did enough to keep his place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Mesko has been cut:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Surprised about Mesko. What about Jermaine Cunningham, Chargers need some DE help, would he be of any use?

• Advertisement

Molly wrote: »
    Surprised about Mesko. What about Jermaine Cunningham, Chargers need some DE help, would he be of any use?

You can have him imo, just don't hold your breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Ryan Allen better be this awesome.

y72LJ06.jpg

Just read that the Pats have saved €921,500 dollars by choosing Allen over Mesko. Considering they were so close competition wise, from a business standpoint it probably was a no-brainer.

Reports that Hooman was asked to take a pay cut and he agreed. Which might explain why Fells was cut. Quentin Sims also released, hopefully he'll clear waivers and make the practice squad. But I think someone will grab him. :(

Cunningham gone and about time imo.

Zoltan just left this message on FB.

6PDdsW.jpg

A classy guy and a true gent. Will miss the dude.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

DE Justin Francis, LB Ja'Gared Davis & safety Kannoris Davis all released.

Francis a bit of a surprise i guess.

Francis is a big surprise.

Tebow, Cunningham, Mesko, Winn, Sims, Kline, Green, Forston, Francis, K Davis, J Davis.

One more cut to go. I'll be surprised if it isn't Washington or Adrian Wilson. Or could Tavon Wilson who has been really bad this preseason, be a late entrant?

• Advertisement

Actually the more I think about it, we have to lose a RB surely?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement