Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Completed 3 years of Degree - Fees?

Options
  • 14-01-2011 2:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

Hi I'm not sure if this has been answered before, I did a search but nothing recent came up.

I left college 3 years into a 4 year degree in 2007.

I've been working pretty much full time since then.

Right now I'd love to go back a complete a 4 year degree in IADT. I always figured I couldn't go because there's no way I could ever pay the fees.

However today someone told me if it's been 5 years since you left your uncompleted degree you don't have to pay fees.

Can anyone let me know if this is true or if anyone has went through this way before.

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Scamp- wrote: »
    Hi I'm not sure if this has been answered before, I did a search but nothing recent came up.

I left college 3 years into a 4 year degree in 2007.

I've been working pretty much full time since then.

Right now I'd love to go back a complete a 4 year degree in IADT. I always figured I couldn't go because there's no way I could ever pay the fees.

However today someone told me if it's been 5 years since you left your uncompleted degree you don't have to pay fees.

Can anyone let me know if this is true or if anyone has went through this way before.

Thanks for reading!

Why not just finish the last year of the degree you left? Would not cost a whole lot, assuming you left before Oct 31 2007.
    Repeating 4 years when you have already accumulated 180 ects credits from the course isn't exactly a smart move...

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Scamp-

They are two different courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Scamp- wrote: »
    They are two different courses.

Ok, but are you sure you want to devote another 4 years of your life to a new course along with fees for each year of the new course? The government isn't going to pay for another 4 years if you have already completed 3. They will probably pay the fees for the last year of the course you left though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Generally if you leave a course a without receiving any qualification and wait for five years you may still be entitled to free fees for a new course.

Check with the DES financial support office. They can tell you exactly what you would have to pay.
    Tel: 057 9325317

Thanks Paperclip, I'll give them a bell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

And don't forget to claim tax relief on the fees if you have a taxable income.

Thanks guys.

I called Dublin Inner City Adult Education Guidance service and they told me if there's been a break of 5 years and if I didn't complete the original degree I should be eligible for the Free Fees Initiative in 2012.

Advertisement