Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Frostbite' on Dogs Ears

• 14-01-2011 2:31am

One of my dogs is an 18 year old jack russel bitch. Being 18 you can imagine she has a few health issues (sight, hearing, forgetting toilet training!) but has a very strong heart, good muscle tone and is as active as you would expect from an 18 yo dog.
    She has a few skin issues - warts, black spots on stomach turning pale (due to steroids for a chronic chest problem) but she gets regular vet check ups and all that is fine. The thing is her ears are starting to kind of wear away. Like the skin is coming off in chunks. Sometimes she doesn't like them being touched, other times she doesn't care. The vet said this was 'frost bite' due to the cold weather. I asked him again and again if he was sure and he insisted it was. The thing is she's an indoor dog and refused to go out walking when we had the snow, and only went outside to go to the toilet (and that was some job getting her to do that!). Has anyone come across this before? Or even heard of frost bite on a dogs ears? I understand it can happen but not with my little madam who wouldn't dare spend time out in the cold!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Could be something causing a reduction in her circulation so her extremities - ear tips - are slowly dying away. If you don't like the vet's opinion, call around for a different vet. Vet may not be bothered because she's 18 years old - some vets don't realise that's not the point.

where I live there's an old vet, an older vet and an even older vet. Think the oldest one doesn't know if she's a cat or a dog. I'm guessing I'll have to go further afield for a vet's opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

i would deffo go get a second opnion, if she indoor dog doubt its frost bite. is she a white or mostly white dog? dont like saying it cos prob isnt but my concern would be skin cancer. lets us know how he gets on.

yeah white with a small black spot. I had some worries about skin cancer a few times with her but the vet kept telling me definitely not. Second opinion is the way to go I think. Away from home for a few days so it will be during the week when I get to bring her but I'll let you all know.

Just an update...

she does indeed have skin cancer but is doing ok (ish). She will have to be pts in the coming weeks, but has her good and bad days. My heart is breaking even just thinking of her going, but she has had a great life.

I don't have experience with this, but she gets very stressed going to the vets, the car journey etc, so I'm going to get the vet to come to my home. This is commonly done yes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I'm so sorry about your dog.
    Its so hard to say good bye, my vet definitely does call out to do this, he prefers it that way in these situations as it keeps the pet calm and gives the people comfort.
    Just ask the vet, explain she gets stressed and it shouldn't be a problem.
    I hope you have great memories of her 18 yrs, I'm sure they were wonderful for her too.
    xXx

really dont know what to say, sorry is not enough. At least ur doggie has had a brilliant life with you, and you will be with her at the end. My only advise is dont leave her to long, in my experience you are better been a day early than a day late. xxx

the inevitable has arrived. My heart is breaking.

Thanks for all your good wishes.

R.I.P little girl. xxxx.

Nothing we can say will make you feel any better but i will be thinking of you.xxxxxxx

Advertisement