Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amir Khan v Paul McCloskey - Manchester, April 16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

raven136 wrote: »
    Khan outclassed him in every round.Terrible ending though but dont let that be the story.McCloskey lost every round and Khan was the better fighter.

Fancy him to beat Bradley too.

The point is McCloskey got his dream taken away from, anything could have happened in the last 6 rounds. It looked like Khan was tiring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

irish-stew wrote: »
    There was, TKO to Khan.

TKO for a clash of heads? Odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Just saw the cut there, it wasn't anywhere near bad! And it was on the side of the brow.. most of the blood would have just rolled down the nose. Referee's a wanker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Cut or no cut, mcCloskey hadnt a chance in this fight. At least he can come out with his head held high instead of being stopped in a few rounds.

Maybe so, but he should have been given a chance. His corner should have been allowed to treet him. Looking at him now, you have to say 'what cut?'

I'll say it again, terrible way for the fight to be decided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Johner wrote: »
    The point is McCloskey got his dream taken away from, anything could have happened in the last 6 rounds. It looked like Khan was tiring.

WHere did it look like Khan was tiring...the way he was still throwing speedy combinations and stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Referee & Doctor made a balls of that

Khan getting lifted shoulder height after a TKO like that makes me want to see him loose and loose badly.

Khan talking absolute bollox here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Wow, Khan is an absolute tosser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Khan is talking a load of ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

amacachi wrote: »

Sorry, not quite a TKO :o It was an accidential clash of heads, the DOC came in, examined him, the ref stopped it and it went to the score cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭hamhamwich

amacachi wrote: »

Yes I assumed that it would have went to the score cards.

Is that not what normally happens with a accidental clash of heads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

if he steps up a weight :eek: wtf the cu&t can't beat a european champ and is afraid to fight his great friend manny - stupid cun*

Haha yeah I'm sure the reason he won't fight Pacman is because they are friends. More like he would get sparked out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Khan is an absoulte tosser. Pacman and Mayweather would rip him a new ring hole.

Wow, Khan is an absolute tosser.
    Khan is talking a load of ****

I stopped the stream, could either of you give me a gist of what he was saying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

What a joke I hope khan gets what's coming to him. A rematch to save face. Thank god I didn't buy this farce

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Deedsie wrote: »
    Are you psychic or something? No one knows how it would have ended, it certainly shouldnt have ended in the 6th round. McCloskey was robbed of a chance to go after Khan. He may have failed, but the man earned his shot.

Just going on what i saw and not blind patriotism. McCloskey hadn't a clue how to get punches off. Khan beat him to the punch every time. As the fight progressed that wasn't going to change. Sad and frustrating end for McCloskey but its no disgrace. The better fighter wins.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Fair play Barry Hearn

Khan and his team are a bunch of leechers

Yet another fight decided by incompetent referees or money, bloody sick of it.

Dempsey wrote: »

Said McCloskey quit
    No interest in a rematch
    Said he would have stopped him

Would love Khan / Mayweather. Mayweather would do him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Saying how McCloskey was going to get knocked out in a few rounds.

Talking about the gulf in class between him and McCloskey.

Then talking about fighting Bradley and becoming the best...yadda yadda yadda

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭theavenger

I am shocked, although this was the first time iv seen McCloskey i thought he was quite comfortable, never majorly troubled. Khan has just proved what a nonce he is with that interview, no chance did he quit, sorry amir im not buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭CaseyRyback

Unlucky for McCloskey. Crap decision by the ref and doc, but McCloskey has only himself to blame having not put enough work in in the early rounds. He landed some good shots, but nothing compared to the volume of shots landed by Khan.

Said McCloskey quit
    No interest in a rematch
    My God!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I'm not sure what he said at the start, i thought I heard him saying Paul quit and didn't want to carry on!, that he wanted to fight him to the end,

Said he was going to hurt him, and that that was the only way the fight was going, that it was probably better it was stopped,

On the question of a rematch, he said he has no motivation to fight Paul again, that Khan is moving up a level after this!

Then all the number 1 stuff and wanting to unify the division etc etc.

I don't follow boxing that much to be honest,

But it was easy for me to see McCloskey's tactic was to try and let Khan get tired (and to me he looked to be getting tired) , where he would have a better chance in the later rounds of getting a knock out or something - it was the only way he was going to win the fight.

Just seems a bit suspect to me, the doctor didn't even look that much at the cut? Looked like he came in with his mind made up, and stopped it.

I was expecting Khan to win the fight, and as you say before the tenth, I just feel, like many others, it was a poor decision to stop that fight,

Would hate to have paid for that anyways.

Fair enough but IMO McCloskey was clueless and didn't have a masterplan. Its not like Khan was throwing a huge volume of punches. He's 24, wasn't hit with anything of note and probably has sparring rounds more testing. He could stand there all night with McCloskey and not get tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mrgardener

Yes, Khan did win every round but he never really troubled McCloskey. I actually would have fancied McCloskey in the later rounds - not necessarily to win but to trouble Khan.

corny wrote: »
    Just going on what i saw and not blind patriotism. McCloskey hadn't a clue how to get punches off. Khan beat him to the punch every time. As the fight progressed that wasn't going to change. Sad and frustrating end for McCloskey but its no disgrace. The better fighter wins.

Well what I saw was a so called A class, big time world class boxer struggle against a kid from Dungiven. Khan yes threw punches.
    I seen very little land. McCloskey made him look very ordinary.
    He was winning the fight but wasnt dominating. He was just about getting the rounds.
    Would you have put your house on Khan winning the fight. I wouldnt have.

Unlucky for McCloskey. but McCloskey has only himself to blame having not put enough work in in the early rounds.

Well thats not true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

There should be a rematch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Deedsie wrote: »
    There should be a rematch.
    Khan did not hurt Mac in the fight, the doctor was a joke, the smallest of cuts, Khan will go no further he has no power, he has no class and he belittled Mac afterwards saying how he was going on to better and bigger things, no chance of a rematch. I agree he was well head on points but he was getting tired. Khan had no idea Mac was this tough.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

No point people trying to say McCloskey would have done nothing. We didnt get the chance to see did we?

****ing disgrace and the same reason I never pay for boxing ppv, and never will again. Might as well piss your money in the fire.

By the way I believe Paul is from Derry. So for the person trying to talk ****e about nationalist pride over the head etc, you cant just use that card when it suits.

As for the interview just shows what a complete **** Khan is. Never rated him as a boxer, he's a mug thats hyped to the sky.

Prescott showed us all about Khans weak chin. Its like glass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Said McCloskey quit
    No interest in a rematch

More proof that Khan is a twat.

Khan's chin is still suspect imo, people were saying he proved it wasn't against Maidana, if Maidana wasn't knackered by the 10th he would have KO'd Khan in that round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭sxt

Mark these words. King Khan is going to duck Bradley

No-one could ever convince me, that if the tables were turned, and Khan had the cut, the doc would have stopped the fight. Never would have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

mrgardener wrote: »
    No-one could ever convince me, that if the tables were turned, and Khan had the cut, the doc would have stopped the fight. Never would have happened.

Why not? He still would've won, it went to the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭thisguy

Saying how McCloskey was going to get knocked out in a few rounds.

Talking about the gulf in class between him and McCloskey.

Then talking about fighting Bradley and becoming the best...yadda yadda yadda

What an absolute utter twat....can't even show a bit of humility after winning in such a fortunate way. Hope Bradley shows him up for what he is, an over-hyped average boxer!

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Why not? He still would've won, it went to the cards.

If the tables were turned ie McCloskey ahead.

• Advertisement

corny wrote: »
    Fair enough but IMO McCloskey was clueless and didn't have a masterplan.

Could you honestly say that Khan had one, because i clearly couldnt see any plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭The Davestator

For the record-
    Khan is an asshole
    the doctor is an asshole

but still, Khan was going to win this fight all night long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

ok lets call a spade a spade

This fight was in Manchester with 3 English judges

Kahn was a massive fav coming into this fight. He was expected to win impressively so it would set up an undisputed title fight in July

Kahn threw punches like there was no tomorrow. He won the first 4 rounds but he was missing 9 out of every 10 shots and in the 5th round he looked tired. Paul who saved his energy early was actually looking stronger as each round went on. Kahn couldn't figure him out and was getting hit. TBH at the start of the 5th round Kahn looked gassed.

There was an accidental clash of heads with 40 seconds left to go in the 5th round. There was a small cut above Pauls left eye. the doc was called in and within 3 seconds of looking at Paul insta stopped the fight - protocol is to let the fighter finish the round and see can the corner stop the bleeding before any decision is made

Go's to scorecard and Kahn wins on points

Kahn was asked would he offer a rematch - he said he has no motivation to fight Paul and hes moving on to bigger things.

Boxing is rigged to the bollox imo

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭thisguy

^^^^
    excellent post, why the fight wasn't allowed to continue to the end of the round is baffling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Khan never hurt McCloskey
    Khan was breathing very heavily between last round or 2
    Paul didnt use up much energy and the second half of the fight would have been more interesting with a tired and frustrated Khan

Unlucky Paul - Khan got off lightly this one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

****in disgrace ..... has to be a rematch.

i dont know what fight some of you were watching saying khan totally outclassed mc closkey, yes he had the greater volume of punches thrown but he never hurt mc closkey and imo khan was starting to tire, he had that flustered look he had against prescott. i do think mc was saving a bit for the later rounds but we'll never know now. thought something was a bit fishy from the start with 3 english refs......... i smell a rat.. REMATCH!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

bubbleking wrote: »
    Boxing is rigged to the bollox imo

You cynic!

The worst thing is, if McCloskey was just looking for a payday I doubt he'd give a shite but as it turned out he had a shot.
    For anyone saying he had no chance would anyone like to suggest why there was still a need to rig it for Khan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

If it had gone the distance it would have been 120-108. Im no great Khan fan but he was fighting somebody who never looked like winning. In truth the ref was doing everybody a favour.

theavenger wrote: »
    Could you honestly say that Khan had one, because i clearly couldnt see any plan.

Winning all six rounds convincingly is a start.

For the record-
    Khan is an asshole
    the doctor is an asshole

but still, Khan was going to win this fight all night long

Couldn't have put it better.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement