Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amir Khan v Paul McCloskey - Manchester, April 16

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

I love watching a good boxing match and its hard to criticise when these guys are putting themselves on the line.

But I'm nearly giving up the sport because every even match I see these days where the underdog is away in a foreign country, is always give to the home boxer and/or rigged.

There was one incidence I seen in America I think, undercard to a Cotto fight a few months back. My memory aint the best but I believe it was some Greek guy vs an American called Johnson.

That was the biggest robbery I've seen in the history of sport. It was an amazing fight, and the greek gave him everything and was clearly a long way ahead on the cards, somehow the American one.

I sat and watched the poor guy, blooded, bruised after handing the American his arse on a plate. He was devasted and angry, but he know there was sweet f all he could do.

While him and his couple of trainers, were devastated, the American had dozens of an entourage around smiling jumping around, they had no shame basically in a clearly rigged fight.

It was disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Snappy the Moose

If Khan thinks he is going to unify the division after a performance like that he must be as deluded as Audley Harrison. McCloskey posed virtually no offensive threat and made him look extremely ordinary tonight just by being elusive.

I think the whole thing has gone to his head since he went to Golden Boy, everything about him reeked of arrogance and was borderline disrespectful to Paul. The runt in his camp who put his hands in the air to Barry Hearn after the fight just solidified what a bunch of knobs his whole camp are.

Paul was gutted but he was still getting outclassed, he wasn't throwing enough punches and was having difficulty with Khan's speed. He wasn't out of the fight by any means though.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭theavenger

corny wrote: »
    Winning all six rounds convincingly is a start.

Nope not convincing, he shaded the rounds with eye catching combo's very few of which were actually connecting.

McCloskey had a plan, he knew what he was doing, just reading about him today which was commenting that he takes a while to get into a fight and becomes more prominent in the later rounds, and from what i saw he was saving energy while noticing Khan was using alot of energy and not really troubling McCloskey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

EddieHearn Eddie Hearn
    Tough to explain right now.Broken dreams and not even given a chance.Sitting in changing room with a cut that needs 6 stitches and no blood

6 ****ing stitches!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

the commentators even said he won most of the rounds because he worked/threw more nothing to do with hurting mc or outclassing him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

theavenger wrote: »
    Nope not convincing, he shaded the rounds with eye catching combo's very few of which were actually connecting.

McCloskey had a plan, he knew what he was doing, just reading about him today which was commenting that he takes a while to get into a fight and becomes more prominent in the later rounds, and from what i saw he was saving energy while noticing Khan was using alot of energy and not really troubling McCloskey

agree.
    And just on the comment before by someone a few pages back, about nationality, i watched it on polsat sport. The polish commentator said in round 5, 'paul is annoying khan, khan is looking like he's tiring, kahn not landing much, and that the more rounds the less comfortable khan is'. Doubt nationality was clouding his vision in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

the commentators even said he won most of the rounds because he worked/threw more nothing to do with hurting mc or outclassing him

It was all bluster tbh, no fighter deserves a decision like that and Khan was very disrespectful in how he conducted himself in celebrating the 'victory' and post match interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

Dusty87 wrote: »
    agree.
    And just on the comment before by someone a few pages back, about nationality, i watched it on polsat sport. The polish commentator said in round 5, 'paul is annoying khan, khan is looking like he's tiring, kahn not landing much, and that the more rounds the less comfortable khan is'. Doubt nationality was clouding his vision in fairness.

ah thats the same as Irish these days ;)

EddieHearn Eddie Hearn
    Confirmation that the Board will launch investigation and will ask WBA for rematch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Johner wrote: »
    EddieHearn Eddie Hearn
    Confirmation that the Board will launch investigation and will ask WBA for rematch.

Seriously??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

it's no wonder so many people are moving over to watch mma

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

EddieHearn Eddie Hearn

if they have any decency they will

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

theavenger wrote: »

If your opponent hits you with absolutely nothing in return then surely you win the rounds convincingly.

I wrote in this thread after the first round "McCloskey has no clue how to get his punches off". I was right. Khan didn't have to do anything to win the rounds because Paul is very, very average and nothing he threw caused any problem at all. And i mean nothing. In 6 rounds of boxing. As the rounds were progressing he was leaving himself more and more open while Khan was solid as a rock. The fight was only going one way.

Talking about a grand masterplan is absolute bollox too. McCloskey had nothing to offer while Khan was going through the motions.

And about getting tired. Thats more bollox. Khan saw out 12 rounds of relentless Maidana pressure while being hit by a mule. Surely he can handle 12 rounds at a snails pace with a boxer unable to land??

Khan is right. He's better than this.

EddieHearn Eddie Hearn

There won't be any rematch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Really poor performance by Khan he didn't look right in there at all. I'm wondering did the whole week of being messed around by his team play with his mind (which alot of journalists suggested) and the Paul mentioned the fact that he looked weight drained, he was in brilliant condition against Maidana but then sacked his fitness coach and now this new fella hasn't done his job.
    He found McCloskey an nightmare tonight which Paul is, he's so hard to hit and his punches come from odd angles. Khan was winning the fight with his workrate but i think Khan was off his game tonight and it was a chance for Paul only for a terrible call by the Doctor.
    I can see McCloskey doing well after this, there'll be a bit of interest now and hopefully he can get a big fight after this and not just back to Euro level.

If your opponent hits you with absolutely nothing in return then surely you win the rounds convincingly.

Exactly, he was making Khan miss but it means nothing if you are posing no offensive threat whatsoever. Those rounds were convincing for Khan because he seemed to be the only one actually trying to win them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

A rematch might not be in Paul's best interest though. His profile has definitely been raised after this fight. A bigger pay day may be on if he plays his cards right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Boooourns

The fight wasn't a mandatory either so there'll be no rematch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭The Davestator

DB10 wrote: »
    I love watching a good boxing match and its hard to criticise when these guys are putting themselves on the line.

But I'm nearly giving up the sport because every even match I see these days where the underdog is away in a foreign country, is always give to the home boxer and/or rigged.

There was one incidence I seen in America I think, undercard to a Cotto fight a few months back. My memory aint the best but I believe it was some Greek guy vs an American called Johnson.

That was the biggest robbery I've seen in the history of sport. It was an amazing fight, and the greek gave him everything and was clearly a long way ahead on the cards, somehow the American one.

I sat and watched the poor guy, blooded, bruised after handing the American his arse on a plate. He was devasted and angry, but he know there was sweet f all he could do.

While him and his couple of trainers, were devastated, the American had dozens of an entourage around smiling jumping around, they had no shame basically in a clearly rigged fight.

It was disgusting.

Its rampant in amateur boxing too by the way. Ive been at both ends of disgraceful decisions in home tournaments

• Advertisement

Exactly, he was making Khan miss but it means nothing if you are posing no offensive threat whatsoever. Those rounds were convincing for Khan because he seemed to be the only one actually trying to win them.

His only punch he throws with venom is the left hook and that hit Khans right glove all night. No jab, no clue how to get inside, no workrate, no combinations of any sort and yet people are on about McCloskey giving Khan problems. I don't know. McCloskey reminded of that episode of the Simpsons where Homer justs stands there and takes punishment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

paul deserves a rematch but is unlikely to get it

McCloskey reminded of that episode of the Simpsons where Homer justs stands there and takes punishment!

eh, wtf were you drinking :eek: , khan hit him with fu&k all bar his head :pac:

McCloskey reminded of that episode of the Simpsons where Homer justs stands there and takes punishment!

Yeah and after a while Khan tires himself out and Homer(Paul) knocks him over. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

So Khan won isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Its rampant in amateur boxing too by the way. Ive been at both ends of disgraceful decisions in home tournaments

Amateur and underage boxing is hilarious for the judgments tbh.

I've a new rule from tonight that would've saved me a lot of hassle up til now, if I hear about a fight on TV at all or hear about it more than 24 hours beforehand I'll give it a miss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Absolutely. Folks can criticise Khan's perforance all they like, but he was the only one winning that fight. Paul was simply in to survive from what I could see. He had nothing to offer. Sure, he made Khan miss, but Khan also landed a fair lot, and a fair lot more than Paul.

What ****ing fight was Steve Collins watching? And where did any of them, Paul and his team, get this crazy idea that Khan was tiring and that THEY were going to get to him? Just before the stoppage Khan seemed to me to be pressing and landing more.

Also, I did think from Paul's reaction that he didn't want to continue. Sure, when the fight was over he was all protest, but he didn't seem all that
    passionate when discussing things with the ref and doctor. Maybe he was confused, or didn't know what was going on.

Bottom line. The doctor is there for a reason, and his decision must be obeyed and respected. He only has a few seconds to decide. Hearn's behaviour afterwards was a disgrace; and it wasn't sincere, it looked all acted to me.

walshb wrote: »
    Absolutely. Folks can criticise Khan's perforance all they like, but he was the only one winning that fight. Paul was simply in to survive from what I could see. He had nothing to offer. Sure, he made Khan miss, but Khan also landed a fair lot, and a fair lot more than Paul.

What ****ing fight was Steve Collins watching? And where did any of them, Paul and his team, get this crazy idea that Khan was tiring and that THEY were going to get to him? Just before the stoppage Khan seemed to me to be pressing and landing more.

Also, I did think from Paul's reaction that he didn't want to continue. Sure, when the fight was over he was all protest, but he didn't seem all that
    passionate when discussing things with the ref and doctor. Maybe he was confused, or didn't know what was going on.

Bottom line. The doctor is there for a reason, and his decision must be obeyed and respected. He only has a few seconds to decide. Hearn's behaviour afterwards was a disgrace; and it wasn't sincere, it looked all acted to me.

spot on, you have called it perfectly, yet again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Just because the decision must be obeyed doesn't mean it's the correct decision. In fairness the doctor and referee had a lot more time to decide
    Whether to let it continue or not than most other officials in other sports have when officiating.
    The whole saga brings boxing down in my opinion. Firstly you had the farce with the TV rights and now this. It's not good for the sport as a whole.

Top class bouts are getting fewer and fewer also.

You also say McCloskey didn't look to want to continue, to me he actually didn't look like he knew what was happening. It's funny how from us both watching the exact same live footage that we can both come up with 2 polar opposite opinions.

McCloskey was more than likely not going to go on and win the match. But I think the horn that some people on here have for Khan should go flacid now.
    Only in his head (khans) is he a world class fighter.
    He has a world class management team. That's all.

Can't wait to see it handed to him. I'll pay primetime for that.He's not a nice person and is a twat. That's the actual bottom line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Seemed like a ridiculous decision to me. Khan was winning though and imo he had won every round up to the stoppage.

But it certainly didn't seem a cut worthy to stop the fight. Surely a cut man should have been given a chance to do his thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

much like the referee then ;)

i pretty much agree with everything you've said to be honest, but i think this fight has shown khan up for what he is, in all honesty, he's a step above european level, but nowhere near elite world level, his ego is getting stroked too much by his management team, and that sneaky wetback De La Hoya.

ive no doubt he'll lose again if they try and unify the belts, but if they pick their opponents correctly, like maybe devon alexander, he will notch up more wins on his record, but give him a good boxer with legitimate KO power and khan will be put to sleep again, he's simply too open, and only has pitter patter punches

good riddance to him, id much rather watch Kell Brook anyway, and id bet he could KO khan as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭sxt

Khan was heaving breaths into him before that last round if you look at the tape

Khans boxing skills are not in question, his chin/temple is....The longer the fight went on, the better the chance McClosky had of exposing this glaring weakness..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭doublejj

what the **** do ye know about boxing........that cut was nothing paul deserved more....amir was ok tonight but far from the superstar he thinks he is...paul was good amir i like but money would kill him..and money wold hammer pacman end of...........

whycliff wrote: »

You also say McCloskey didn't look to want to continue, to me he actually didn't look like he knew what was happening. It's funny how from us both watching the exact same live footage that we can both come up with 2 polar opposite opinions.
    Can't wait to see it handed to him. I'll pay primetime for that.He's not a nice person and is a twat. That's the actual bottom line.

Yes, but I also said that MAYBE it was because Paul was confused and didn't know what was going on....

As for Khan's interview. Hey, what about Paul's? Paul making out that Khan was gassed and that he would have taken him out? What was he doing for the first 18 minutes? Nothing.

Khan was not going to lose that fight from getting tired. He has been in far pacier and tougher fights. He was two steps ahead of Paul for 18 solid minutes.

Paul had his chance tonight and showed nothing. Fight stopped. I was pissed that it was stopped, but the doctor is the one who is qualified here, and his decsion at that time was right. He felt that it was dangerous for the fight to go on.

My prediction had the bout went on was a wide points decison or Khan stoppage victory. Paul was never winning that fight.
    That showboating and posing may work against very ordinary fighters, but Khan is a skilled boxer, and Paul was simply exposed
    as nothing special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭bellybuster12

ok, im very drunk, what the hell happened??

was paul in the fight even??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Yes, but I also said that MAYBE it was because Paul was confused and didn't know what was going on....

As for Khan's interview. Hey, what about Paul's? Paul making out that Khan was gassed and that he would have taken him out? What was he doing for the first 18 minutes? Nothing.

Khan was not going to lose that fight from getting tired. He has been in far pacier and tougher fights. He was two steps ahead of Paul for 18 solid minutes.

Paul had his chance tonight and showd nothing. Fight stopped. I was pissed that it was stopped, but the doctor is the one who is qualified here, and his decsion at that time was right. He felt that it was dangerous for the fight to go on.

My prediction had the bout went on was a wide points decison or Khan stoppage victory. Paul was never winning that fight.
    That showboating and posing may work against very ordinary fighters, but Khan is a skilled boxer, and Paul was simply exposed
    as nothing specia
    l.

you forgot to add Khans' name to that sentence

you forgot to add Khans' name to that sentence

Well tonight he was far more special than Paul. Khan can go on and unify the division. He wants Bradley. I think he can beat him. Will that make him special in your eyes?

Is Khan perfect? No. He has weaknesses. But all fighters do. He is stil winning and beating his opponents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Never seen in my life how quick the doctor was to call a fight over, he must have been up on the side of the ring about 4 seconds at most before he told the referee to end the fight.

There was barely any blood coming from that small cut over McCloskeys eye, I have seen cuts much much worse with blood streaming down on the boxers face and those fights went to the end without the referee stepping in during a round and the boxer getting cleaned up at the end of a round with a tub of Vaseline put over the cut for the rest of the fight.

Purely disgraceful decision there in Manchester tonight irrelevant of how the fight would have turned out, the boxers deserved better but more importantly the fans who make these fighters rich deserve better!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

bubbleking wrote: »
    Boxing is rigged to the bollox imo

Your point is valid to an extent. In Germany alot of the time the scoring is rigged. The fight took place in Britain and I can tell you straight off that the British Boxing Board of Control is one of the strictest sanctioning bodies in the World and that there wouldn't be hope a fight is rigged in Britain. If it was proven the people in question would get punished very severely. It was only yesterday that a British referee & judge was given a severe reprimand for judging in a fight.

The fight wasn't rigged. Khan was awful and Mc Closkey couldn't take advantage of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

as nothing special

Pretty hard to disagree with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭AndOne

You can all argue al day about who knows more about Boxing etc etc but at the end of the day That fight should never have been stopped and for some reason or another it was pre-maturely and unjustly. Khan was going on like he beat him up when he didnt beat him up, 12 rounds would have been Fair.

It was a disgrace, a few people I know went over to it and to see something like that is a joke. Check out the Video of pacquiao vs margarito and see how bad Margarito's face is and he went 12 rounds. Something Fishy went on tonight and I feel for Dudey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

unknown13 wrote: »
    Your point is valid to an extent. In Germany alot of the time the scoring is rigged. The fight took place in Britain and I can tell you straight off that the British Boxing Board of Control is one of the strictest sanctioning bodies in the World and that there wouldn't be hope a fight is rigged in Britain. If it was proven the people in question would get punished very severely. It was only yesterday that a British referee & judge was given a severe reprimand for judging in a fight.

The fight wasn't rigged. Khan was awful and Mc Closkey couldn't take advantage of that.

Khan wasn't awful. I feel sorry for McCloskey the way it ended, but prior to the stoppage he was shipping three- four punches to land one. He had no answer for Khan's handspeed. His toughness was what kept him in it up to then, but had the fight gone on a few rounds I think Khan would have stopped him.

I don't know where all the hatred for Khan comes from but i suppose you'll always have people queueing up to knock ye.

For what its worth i do think he's vulnerable to a good accurate puncher but he strikes me as a good honest kid trying to improve. His quick hands will be a problem for any fighter he faces and if he goes the distance he's always in with a shout on the scorecards because of good workrate. The ****e that goes on around him is unfortunate but through all the bull**** he walked up to McCloskey, shook his hand and said 'I'm sorry it had to end that way'. I hope he does well against bradley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭cppromotions

Lets be honest Steve Collins has proven himself so we must take some heed to what he says Who the F..k are you? to question probably the greatest fighter ever to come out of Ireland you have a lot to say on this site but did you ever have a fight yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Lets be honest Steve Collins has proven himself so we must take some heed to what he says Who the F..k are you? to question probably the greatest fighter ever to come out of Ireland you have a lot to say on this site but did you ever have a fight yourself?

Thats about as logical as saying Alan Shearer or Jamie Redknapp has proven himself as a footballer so therefore his opinion on an England match is more accurate than someone who hasn't played at as high a standard.

Only a pea brain would blindly accept what they hear from the majority of pundits. I'd much rather trust my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭sxt

Thats about as logical as saying Alan Shearer or Jamie Redknapp has proven himself as a footballer so therefore his opinion on an England match is more accurate than someone who hasn't played at as high a standard.

Completely different sports in fairness...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Only a pea brain would blindly accept what they hear from the majority of pundits. I'd much rather trust my eyes.

Anyone defending this decision as saying Khan would have won is a tosser of the highest order. The fact Khan would have won doesnt make it any better, this stank to the high heavens. Let him eek a points decision out, but that doesn't look good on HBO does it Oscar?? Never in my life have i seen a ref call a fight off for a ridiculous cut, his corner never even got a look at it. ive seen lads with their eye sliced open be allowed continue.

Khan would have won but this pro game is rotten to the core. Its an absolute disgrace of the absolute highest order. Dont kid yourself McCloskey would have won but dont f*ckin tell me Khan did any "damage". I hope the c*nt never sells a PPV in the uk again. I love boxing but pro boxing is a load of sh*te apart from the elite fights.

It was an absolute joke. thats a fact. Personally, I didnt think he was being outclassed, Khan was quicker but Paul was not in any way hurt. The way he celebrated and showed no embarrasment makes me think the f*cking c*nt was in on it. What an absolute joke of a fight.

Khan will never have any respect in Ireland or Britain after that. I'm glad the hardcore American fans will see that farce of a decision aswell.

Ya would not have won Dudey but im very proud of how you acquitted yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

sxt wrote: »
    Completely different sports in fairness...

Aye, but I think the logic is the same for all sports. The best participants do not automatically become the most accurate or insightful analysts. Sometimes they are the best but sometimes they are poor beyond belief.

So whilst Walshb was probably never a world champion it doesn't automatically mean that he should bow to Steve Collins analysis just because the latter 'has proven himself'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Well tonight he was far more special than Paul. Khan can go on and unify the division. He wants Bradley. I think he can beat him. Will that make him special in your eyes?

Is Khan perfect? No. He has weaknesses. But all fighters do. He is stil winning and beating his opponents.

also important to note you are an Amir Khan nut hugger extraordinaire

Your analysis is comical to be fair. Khan woule have won yes, but anyone defending the stoppage of that fight is as rotten as the sport of pro boxing.

Hearn was f*cking spot on in his protests. Lets Khan see out the fight on points if he wanted a real victory.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I'm glad I didn't tune in. From boxrec, I can see Khan won in the 6th round, and he was 60-54 ahead. Oh and it was held in Manchester.

I'm glad I didn't heard how Khan is so great because he is outclassing a stunning opponent with a record of 22 wins and 0 losses. How Floyd Mayweather or Manny Pacquao is next and how he defeated a legend called Barrera. How he can go down in the list of lightweight greats. Plus the crowd cheering him on for every punch he lands. (and the commentators hyping up once again his brillant punches, even though it is almost sparring)

No siree, I am glad I passed this one. (BTW, if they charged PPV, I will hold a minute of silence for those who ordered)

Advertisement