Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amir Khan v Paul McCloskey - Manchester, April 16

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Aye, but I think the logic is the same for all sports. The best participants do not automatically become the most accurate or insightful analysts. Sometimes they are the best but sometimes they are poor beyond belief.

So whilst Walshb was probably never a world champion it doesn't automatically mean that he should bow to Steve Collins analysis just because the latter 'has proven himself'.

To be honest talking more sense than Steve Collins is no achievement.

Walshb talks a fair amount of sh*te and he can be still streets ahead of Collins.

Any defence of Khan tonight is comical. He is a better fighter than Paul, thats obvious. But Dont f*cking cut corners man, beat him like a man. anyone saying McCloskey didnt want to continue is an idiot, he was talking less shots than Maidana or Malignaggi.

Barry Hearn was dead right and if I was him id get the f*ck out of the pro boxing game.
    The fact de lay Hoya was in attendance meant a knock out would not even have done McCloskey. Such a f*cking sh*te sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 whitewalter

Thats about as logical as saying Alan Shearer or Jamie Redknapp has proven himself as a footballer so therefore his opinion on an England match is more accurate than someone who hasn't played at as high a standard.

Completely different sports in fairness.
    Soceer player can have a bad game and be carried by 10 team mates.

Boxer goes into the ring, he's on his own. And anyone who's been in that position is better placed to give opinions than your average soccer pundit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Jayob10, i hope for the sake of your blood pressure liverpool win tomorrow:)

corny wrote: »
    I don't know where all the hatred for Khan comes from but i suppose you'll always have people queueing up to knock ye.

For what its worth i do think he's vulnerable to a good accurate puncher but he strikes me as a good honest kid trying to improve. His quick hands will be a problem for any fighter he faces and if he goes the distance he's always in with a shout on the scorecards because of good workrate. The ****e that goes on around him is unfortunate but through all the bull**** he walked up to McCloskey, shook his hand and said 'I'm sorry it had to end that way'. I hope he does well against bradley.

bottom line that decision stank. Regardless of whether he would have won.

anyone who claims otherwise just likes an argument for arguments sake.

Jayob10, i hope for the sake of your blood pressure liverpool win tomorrow:)

Liverpool winning seals the title for United in essence so im on the fence, but f*ck it always wanna see us win

tonight I just wanted to see a fair night of boxing. Heard so much about how Paul would get batterend within 5 rounds. When that didn't happen Khan got a huge gift

F*cking rotten

• Advertisement

Jayob10 wrote: »
    Liverpool winning seals the title for United in essence so im on the fence, but f*ck it always wanna see us win

tonight I just wanted to see a fair night of boxing. Heard so much about how Paul would get batterend within 5 rounds. When that didn't happen Khan got a huge gift

F*cking rotten

yeah I know what you mean, i was saying to a friend of mine earlier, who is an Arsenal fan, i am conflicted about tomorrows game.
    It was a lousy end to the fight. Khan was a muppet in the interview afterwards.

Khan wasn't awful. I feel sorry for McCloskey the way it ended, but prior to the stoppage he was shipping three- four punches to land one. He had no answer for Khan's handspeed. His toughness was what kept him in it up to then, but had the fight gone on a few rounds I think Khan would have stopped him.

pure scutter of a post with all due respect. A world title fight should not be called off until its beyond reasonable doubt.

Maidana took punishment off Khan for most of the fight until the 10th round when Maidana rattled him, and shoud have ended it.

its as is the ref was waiting for the opporunity to tell Paul he was being outclassed, when in reality Khan was not hurting him.

I'm not for one moment saying McCloskey would have won, he wouldn't, but dont hand Khan the fight on that basis, if hes not good enough to knock out the European Champ. dont pad his record with false results. He wasnt knocking McCloskey out and that wasnt looking good for HBO

3 f*cking english judges???? and De La Hoya in attendance? I smell a gigantic rat

pure scutter of a post with all due respect. A world title fight should not be called off until its beyond reasonable doubt.

Maidana took punishment off Khan for most of the fight until the 10th round when Maidana rattled him, and shoud have ended it.

its as is the ref was waiting for the opporunity to tell Paul he was being outclassed, when in reality Khan was not hurting him.

I'm not for one moment saying McCloskey would have won, he wouldn't, but dont hand Khan the fight on that basis, if hes not good enough to knock out the European Champ. dont pad his record with false results. He wasnt knocking McCloskey out and that wasnt looking good for HBO

3 f*cking english judges???? and De La Hoya in attendance? I smell a gigantic rat

I wasn't defending the decision to stop it.
    I was merely pointing out Khan was winning up until it was stopped. Hearns even acknowledged that. I don't see how a conspiracy to end the fight early in such a manner benefited Khan, unless you believe McCloskey was going to cause an upset in the end? Khan not ending it in emphatic fashion might have upset De La Hoya, but i doubt a dubious stoppage enhances Khan's credentials with HBO and the American public. In any case McCloskey should get a rematch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

No doubt that Khan was ahead on points but that stoppage seemed bizarre. I've seen bigger cuts in the morning after I've shaved in a hurry. McCloskey was still very much in the fight at that point. He seemed briefly hurt at one point but recovered very quickly and was firing back big style. Ridiculous. Think he probably would have lasted the distance as well. Might have lost on points but regardless he should have been given the chance to compete to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

bottom line that decision stank. Regardless of whether he would have won.

anyone who claims otherwise just likes an argument for arguments sake.

The 'decision' didn't stink. The better fighter over the 6 rounds won. In fact he was easily the better fighter over the 6 rounds. If you relax yourself and stop the crusade you'll see that. McCloskey couldn't lay a finger on him for half the fight ffs.

Yes the Doctor could have let it go and imo he should have let it go but that doesn't automatically spell FIX. What did Khan have to fear to resort to cheating? McCloskey couldn't get near him. If McCloskey had shaken him in an earlier round or looked the slightest bit dangerous you might have a point. But he didn't and he wasn't. Jesus Khan is probably more disappointed with the stoppage. I'm sure he wanted to put on a better show given the backround to the fight. The doctor robbed him of the opportunity.

Its a combination of disappointment and paranoia fuelling your argument. The better fighter won.

• Advertisement

In any case McCloskey should get a rematch.

I don't think he should. 120-108 or a knockout would be inevitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

The 'decision' didn't stink. The better fighter over the 6 rounds won. In fact he was easily the better fighter over the 6 rounds. If you relax yourself and stop the crusade you'll see that. McCloskey couldn't lay a finger on him for half the fight ffs.

Yes the Doctor could have let it go and imo he should have let it go but that doesn't automatically spell FIX. What did Khan have to fear to resort to cheating? McCloskey couldn't get near him. If McCloskey had shaken him in an earlier round or looked the slightest bit dangerous you might have a point. But he didn't and he wasn't. Jesus Khan is probably more disappointed with the stoppage. I'm sure he wanted to put on a better show given the backround to the fight. The doctor robbed him of the opportunity.

Its a combination of disappointment and paranoia fuelling your argument. The better fighter won.

Something strange fuelling your argument tbh, I don't watch boxing often but Khan did very little, McCloskey was pushing forward for most of the fight. He threw very few punches but was connecting with them whereas Khan was throwing 3-4 at a time into McCloskey's guard and not doing much else. He connected maybe once or twice, not more than that.

The cut that the fight was stopped over had been completely tidied up by the time the announcement was called. It wasn't much of a cut at all. Khan also was putting a lot more energy in, the fight could have gotten interesting in the later rounds had it continued.

Complete waste of what could have been a good fight and if you think Khan is something special then you're deluding yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I don't think he should. 120-108 or a knockout would be inevitable.

Irrelevant. McCloskey was robbed of the opportunity to turn it around. Not that i think he would have, it doesn't matter. It was a dodgy decision to say the least. A lot of weird shiit seems to happen on Golden Boy cards, i've noticed.

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Something strange fuelling your argument tbh, I don't watch boxing often but Khan did very little, McCloskey was pushing forward for most of the fight. He threw very few punches but was connecting with them whereas Khan was throwing 3-4 at a time into McCloskey's guard and not doing much else. He connected maybe once or twice, not more than that.

The cut that the fight was stopped over had been completely tidied up by the time the announcement was called. It wasn't much of a cut at all. Khan also was putting a lot more energy in, the fight could have gotten interesting in the later rounds had it continued.

Complete waste of what could have been a good fight and if you think Khan is something special then you're deluding yourself.

Yeah it shows.

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Irrelevant. McCloskey was robbed of the opportunity to turn it around. Not that i think he would have, it doesn't matter. It was a dodgy decision to say the least. A lot of weird shiit seems to happen on Golden Boy cards, i've noticed.

Its far from irrelevant saying the next fight would be another non event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Dudey robbed himself when he stood there like a scoulded schoolboy while the doc was looking at him. He didn't protest until the fight was stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭SupaNova

Dudey robbed himself when he stood there like a scoulded schoolboy while the doc was looking at him. He didn't protest until the fight was stopped.

It was a bad decision, but I would love to know the exact words exchanged between the ref and McCloskey. Like you said there wasn't too much protest until the fight was stopped.

In the interview after McCloskey, said something along the lines of he thought it(the cut) was bad given the doctors reaction and when he went back to his corner they said it was harmless, but he knew on his way back to his corner it was over. Very strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

walshb wrote: »
    Well tonight he was far more special than Paul. Khan can go on and unify the division. He wants Bradley. I think he can beat him. Will that make him special in your eyes?

Is Khan perfect? No. He has weaknesses. But all fighters do. He is stil winning and beating his opponents.

im not sure, i actually think this is the weakest the division has been for a few years,

but on the other hand, i know Khan can only beat who's put in front of him,

im probably being hard on him, but i dont think he would have beaten say a prime Ricky Hatton or kostya Tzsyu, i think Hatton came into a far tougher division than Khan has

weight seems to be an issue as well, and at his age he's bound to jump up to Welter, but i cant see how if he doesnt have real concussive power at Light Welter, that he'll then somehow have Zeus like powers when he's up against bigger men in the welterweight division

i suppose im probably not his biggest fan, and dont really like his style too much either, i was warming to him, but the whole debacle of the last week have possibly tarnished my view of him,

cest la vie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

For those of you who were dissappointed with last nights 'result'
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Lets be honest Steve Collins has proven himself so we must take some heed to what he says Who the F..k are you? to question probably the greatest fighter ever to come out of Ireland you have a lot to say on this site but did you ever have a fight yourself?

I think some posters have already defended my post; but anyway, fact is, Collins was watching a completely different fight than I and others. He had Paul to win, maybe that is why he couldn't see that Paul was being well beaten.

And yes, I do have a lot to say on the site. I like the site, the guys/gals and the knowledge/banter. Shoot me!

One of the better forums here at boards.

• Advertisement

Walshb talks a fair amount of sh*te and he can be still streets ahead of Collins.

Any defence of Khan tonight is comical. He is a better fighter than Paul, thats obvious. But Dont f*cking cut corners man, beat him like a man. anyone saying McCloskey didnt want to continue is an idiot, he was talking less shots than Maidana or Malignaggi.

Gee, thanks.

And, I was pissed that the fight was stopped.

BTW, who is defending Khan? The stoppage had ZERO to do with Khan.

As for the idiot comnment. Freddie Roach himself had a thought that Paul quit. I thought he "looked" uninterested in continuing, but I also said that may have been down to confusion. But, he HAD to know something was up when the doctor was with him. He just didn't seem all that "angry/passionate/eager." Only after the fight was stopped he seemed annoyed and eager to go on.

What really puzzled me was his team and their claims that Khan was gassing and would have been stopped? Rubbish. In the 6th round Amir was stepping it up.

Ad for being a major Khan fan? Simple: He is a far better boxer than Paul. That is fact, hardly
    hero worship for Amir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Anyone listen to Hearne/McCloskey interview on 5 Live after the fight? That'll clear up most of the arguments in this thread. Khan was saying that McCloskey wanted the fight over. Both Hearne and McCloskey was incredibly argressive againt these comments after the fight.

Firstly, I need to say that the atmosphere at the MEN Arena was unreal. I can't imagine it would've been better even if it had been held in Ireland. The Khan 'fans' were put to shame.

As for the fight, I think it is irrelevant what would've happened had the fight carried on. The fight shouldn't have been stopped. That was without doubt the quickest decision to stop a fight that I've seen. No consultation between doctor and corner. It was an immediate decision which is a straight-out disgrace. A cut team should be given the chance to clean up the cut, especially given the round was nearly over!

My opinion is that they wanted the fight stopped. Khan wasn't able to finish McCloskey and the way Dudey was standing up to Khan's punching was making the lad look weak in my opinion. Any further and it could have made him look very bad, especially is McCloskey was able to grab a counter punch and hurt Khan.

I feel incredibly hard done by, having paid to see a fight and then being robbed of it midway through. It's unfortunate that Paul and his team won't get a rematch as they won't be attractive enough, financially, to Khan money grabbing team.

McCloskey and the should hold their heads high.

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Anyone listen to Hearne/McCloskey interview on 5 Live after the fight? That'll clear up most of the arguments in this thread. Khan was saying that McCloskey wanted the fight over. Both Hearne and McCloskey was incredibly argressive againt these comments after the fight.

Firstly, I need to say that the atmosphere at the MEN Arena was unreal. I can't imagine it would've been better even if it had been held in Ireland. The Khan 'fans' were put to shame.

As for the fight, I think it is irrelevant what would've happened had the fight carried on. The fight shouldn't have been stopped. That was without doubt the quickest decision to stop a fight that I've seen. No consultation between doctor and corner. It was an immediate decision which is a straight-out disgrace. A cut team should be given the chance to clean up the cut, especially given the round was nearly over!

My opinion is that they wanted the fight stopped. Khan wasn't able to finish McCloskey and the way Dudey was standing up to Khan's punching was making the lad look weak in my opinion. Any further and it could have made him look very bad, especially is McCloskey was able to grab a counter punch and hurt Khan.

I feel incredibly hard done by, having paid to see a fight and then being robbed of it midway through. It's unfortunate that Paul and his team won't get a rematch as they won't be attractive enough, financially, to Khan money grabbing team.

McCloskey and the should hold their heads high.

So, what you are saying is that the ref and doctor did this to prevent Khan losing. They were in on a scam? That is what it sounds like to me. Puzzling, though with pro boxing, nothing would surprise me.

I reckon like most that the fight should have been allowed a wee bit more time, but I still believe that Paul was not going to win, and probably would have been stopped in the next few rds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

LOL - there should be a rule here walshb "no posting after 2am unless you pass a virtual breathaliser"

methinks McCloskey was harshly denied of his only chance - khan getting tired and frustrated in the second half of the fight, and possibly leaving the "suspect chin" open

on the cut - the doctor managed to make it worse by pulling it apart and it still didnt bleed badly with no treatment applied - this was a world title fight for fcuk sake

anyways respect to McCloskey - he stood in front of Khan with hands down, and even with Khans speed he left the ring with only a cut caused by head clash

Khan, even though was winning rounds, had no answer to the problem put in front of him - commentators being completely biased as usual were lauding Khans punches - yet only 25% were landing, and of those none lended on the money

I was never a big fan of McCloskey before this fight and thought the gulf in class would be very apparent - but alas no - Khan with his power and speed was never going to ko McCloskey - and with that then always leaves himself open to the "suspect chin"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭scon86

the cut Barrera got form an accidental clash of heads at the end of the first round in there fight was worse then this by a mile. but the fight went on until khan could get ahead on the score cards and in the 5th round the doctor stopped the fight. even the sunday times a uk paper said the fight should have been stopped at least a round earlier. i bet sky are glad they did not show this **** ha primetime

john47832 wrote: »
    Khan, even though was winning rounds, had no answer to the problem put in front of him - commentators being completely biased as usual were lauding Khans punches - yet only 25% were landing, and of those none lended on the money
    "

No answer to the problem?

Jesus, if Khan had no answer to Paul, then what is Paul's answer?:confused:

There was one man in there winning, and winning fairly handily (you could not make an argument for Paul winning a single round), against a man who did very little, and actually spoiled. Paul was still beaten in ALL rds. Yet folks are criticising Khan's performance?
    That is bizarre.

Kahn did not extend himself at all in there and was still two steps ahead.

No answer to the problem?

Jesus, if Khan had no answer to Paul, then what is Paul's answer?:confused:

There was one man in there winning, and winning fairly handily, against a man who did very little, and actually spoiled. Paul was still beaten in ALL rds. Yet folks are criticising Khan's performance?
    That is bizarre.

Kahn did not extend himself at all in there and was still two steps ahead.

he won rounds by throwing more shots, most of which never landed - hardly a great performance

of note it does appear that Khan struggles more against this type of fighter as shown against Pauly Mallianagi - again had Pauly possesed a power shot Khan would now be close to retirement

he won rounds by throwing more shots, most of which never landed - hardly a great performance

of note it does appear that Khan struggles more against this type of fighter as shown against Pauly Mallianagi - again had Pauly possesed a power shot Khan would now be close to retirement

Throwing punches in boxing is what the sport is about for chrissake. Kahn's
    strengths is his volume and speed; of course he will throw punches

Paul was doing NOTHING. This is unreal, Khan throws punches and gets criticised?

Khan landed far more shots than Paul and won each rd. The rds were clear, as in you could not award any rd to Paul.

its constructive criticism walshb - Khan struggles when he has an opponent in front of him with good movement, especially good head movement - if he comes up against a figher with good head movement and posseses a power shot then I couldnt possibly see him winning

like ricky hatton, he can throw all the punches he likes

• Advertisement

its constructive criticism walshb - Khan struggles when he has an opponent in front of him with good movement, especially good head movement - if he comes up against a figher with good head movement and posseses a power shot then I couldnt possibly see him winning

like ricky hatton, he can throw all the punches he likes

Yes, he struggles, as do many fighters against good movement. BUT he still well won, that is the point. Paul was simply posing and his style is always going to present problems; he still was well beaten though

Hatton? I don't see any relevance here. Kahn is a skilled boxer. Hatton was never that.

Khan is still far from the finished article, I agree, but last night he was the ONLY man
    making that fight, and winning that fight.

Chriscl1 wrote: »

That could have been because he thought the there was no way the fight was going to be stopped. He seemed to shake his head in disbelief at the fight being stopped. Khan interperted that as Paul not wanting to continue on.
    I wonder how Khan would feel if he was on the end of such a dubious stoppage. I still think he's a good fighter, and was winning the fight fairly comfortably on points, but he showed no class in the interview afterwards. He should have suggested a rematch, not because McCloskey was going to win, but out of respect for McCloskey and the sport itself.
    The stoppage is even more ludicrous when you consider Barerra fought on for 4 rounds against Khan with blood pouring into his eye. Had the ref let it go another round and blood started impeding Paul's vision then no one could have any complaints at it being called off.
    Can anyone here who has fought in the amateurs or as a professional say, they would have been happy to have their big fight called off in such a manner? Would you be content to say the refs' decision must be obeyed?

The talk about Khan's post fight intreview.

Remember, he was listening to reports that Dudey was saying that he was gassed and that he was going to be Ko'd. Khan is hardly going to be all nicey nicey when hearing that, especially when for 6 rds he was the guy in control. So, maybe it was Paul's interview that lacked class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

WalshB ,.... you are a clinical case of a ' NUT-Hugger' .

Anything you say about Khan can be taken with a pinch of salt .

What would Khan have to do to disappoint you ?

Irrespective of what he heard, trying to pass off the stoppage as no big deal, and stating his opponent is only a european level, fighter and i'm world class, is the not way to conduct yourself in an interview after a controversial ending. Had it been the other way around, Khan, and his promoter, would be seething at such a controversial stoppage. McCloskey was well within his rights to object.

nobody knows how the second half would have went ,........
    and with khan's proven weak chin , it was more likely to happen in this fight than any other .

lee purdy anyone ?

• Advertisement

WalshB ,.... you are a clinical case of a ' NUT-Hugger' .

Anything you say about Khan can be taken with a pinch of salt .

What would Khan have to do to disappoint you ?

Watch the fight, simple....

Khan hasn't disappointed me. Is he the best in the world? No.
    He is a very skilled boxer, still not the finished article, but some of the excuses being made about last night are strange.

The guy wins every rd fairly handy and he is being criticised.
    Paul is a good boxer, and posed issues, but nothing that
    Khan wasn't dealing with. Khan was still winning well.

Paul would pose problems for anyone. He has skill, a good brain and
    is damn awkward. But, he still was being outclassed last night.

As for the TWO interviews. If I was Khan and was after winning 6 rds comfortably and then
    was told that my opponent was saying that I was gassed and was ready to be taken out, I wouldn't be ready to be all that nice and happy.

He spoke the truth. Paul is NOT world class. Khan is. Khan has shown it
    and is the legit WBA belt holder. Paul too was being unclassy when making out that Khan was ready to go, was knackered. Him the guy after being beaten for 6 rds.

juan ma ......anyone ?

but last night he was the ONLY man
    making that fight, and winning that fight.

I'm just gonna bold the ONLY for added emphasis.

No one wants to criticise McCloskeys performance and if you do you're accused of a homosexual attraction to Khan. Truth is Paul did **** all to deserve all this righteous anger. He was feeble given the opportunity he was given and Khans analysis, ungentlemanly and perhaps bitter, was absolutely spot on. McCloskey is only European level, Khan is a step up from that and the stoppage only hastened the inevitable.

That Khan is world class is not in dispute , but you don't make a point of stating your opponent is way inferior, despite what he might have said about you gassing. It's a skewed opinion perhaps, but understandable given the circumstances of the defeat..
    In any case Khan should have risen above it and been humble in victory given the controversial outcome.

I'm just gonna bold the ONLY for added emphasis.

No one wants to criticise McCloskeys performance and if you do you're accused of a homosexual attraction to Khan. Truth is Paul did **** all to deserve all this righteous anger.

I feel the anger is justified due to the wrongful stoppage, but i agree with the rest of your analysis. Paul's unusual style while effective against lesser fighters was exposed last night. You could make the case he slipped a few punches quite well early on, but after a couple of rounds Khan was hitting him with swift combinations without much coming back. Paul did not win a round in my view.

• Advertisement

Paul too was being unclassy when making out that Khan was ready to go, was knackered.

Well Paul was the victim of a bad decision , i think everybody can agree on that for a start .
    I can understand his anger , and giving an interview within minutes of the decision , you can expect emotons to be still high.

Khan ? .... well his interview gives us an example of why he gets boo'd by his homeland boxing fans .

He's arrogant , selfish , and bends the truth .
    James de Gale is another similar personality , and he too gets the blunt end of the stick from his 'home' fans .

As for Victor Ortiz ,..... now there was a classy interview .

Thats how it should be done . 4star-review-of-truth-about-building-the-muscle.bmp

I feel the anger is justified due to the wrongful stoppage, but i agree with the rest of your analysis. Paul's unusual style while effective against lesser fighters was exposed last night. You could make the case he slipped a few punches quite well early on, but after a couple of rounds Khan was hitting him with swift combinations without much coming back. Paul did not win a round in my view.

The anger for the officials? Absolutely. I share it Nacho but the venom directed at Khan (not by yourself)? No ****ing way is that justified.

He went out, did a job on McCloskey and he's accused of rigging the fight, being out on his knees and generally being a **** fighter.:D Thats not justified.

The anger for the officials? Absolutely. I share it Nacho but the venom directed at Khan (not by yourself)? No ****ing way is that justified.

He went out, did a job on McCloskey and he's accused of rigging the fight, being out on his knees and generally being a **** fighter.:D Thats not justified.

I agree with all that. I should have stated the anger at the officials was justified.
    I dislike Khan as a person from what i've seen of him, but it does not take away from the fact he is a great fighter.

Poor Old Amir Khan ,........ a victim of the money-train agenda .

As Walshb said earlier , the stoppage had nothing to do with Khan .

I bet the Golden Boy 'cashing machine' were ****ting in their pants looking at all the upsets these days .

Better step in and stop it quick while he's ahead , you never know .........
    And by the way , Golden Boy has the officials wrapped around his little finger , lets not be ignorant to what goes on behind the scenes here .

I wish boxing was a sport and not a business ....

Poor Old Amir Khan ,........ a victim of the money-train agenda .

As Walshb said earlier , the stoppage had nothing to do with Khan .

I bet the Golden Boy 'cashing machine' were ****ting in their pants looking at all the upsets these days .

Better step in and stop it quick while he's ahead , you never know .........
    And by the way , Golden Boy has the officials wrapped around his little finger , lets not be ignorant to what goes on behind the scenes here .

I wish boxing was a sport and not a business ....

I am not saying that corruption does not happen, and who knows here, but seriously, it's clutching at straws to think that Paul would have won that fight. There is always a possibilty, maybe Khan trips over himself and knocks himself out, but for the 18 mins that Paul showed me, his chances were very very slim.

Hatton? I don't see any relevance here. Kahn is a skilled boxer. Hatton was never that.

i dont think the difference in class between hatton/pacman and khan/pacman is a much as you may believe walshb

khan probably edges it, however light-welter is not exactly the greatest division it has ever been - i reckon if khan steps up a notch there are probable 10 fighters who would beat him

i dont think the difference in class between hatton/pacman and khan/pacman is a much as you may believe walshb

khan probably edges it, however light-welter is not exactly the greatest division it has ever been - i reckon if khan steps up a notch there are probable 10 fighters who would beat him

I agree, 140 lbs isn't all that great. But across all divisons one can see weakness. Kahn is still only 24 (AND NEEDS IMPROVING). Look at Ortiz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I think Freddie Roach summed it up correctly when he said there was no point in a rematch. McCloskey does not have the tools to beat Khan, even if they fought ten times. He also did'nt throw enough caution to the wind, for a so callled opportunity of a lifetime he just could not produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭H. Flashman

Terrible decision to stop the fight absolutely terrible but having said that I see no point in a rematch. If the fight had been close up to that point then a rematch would be justified but the fact is it wasn't close, Paul should have come out firing on the biggest night of his career rather than playing the defensive game and simply not taking risks. Kahn was on his way to a shut out and Paul will likely regret not giving it his all from the get go. These strategies of surviving the first few rounds and then coming on late at the end are **** and if they don't work you look like ****. Audley Harrison had the gameplan of just surviving the first half of the fight against Haye and then hoepfully landing a lucky punch in the last few rounds look where that got him. For someone like Paul to beat someone like Kahn he would have to give it his all from the get go, be prepared to take 3 or four shots shots to land a decent one of his own and not just play at surviving in the hope that the other guy will gas out.

And whats with Mccloskey never going for the body? He's always such a headhunter i'd have been screaming at him to work the body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Snappy the Moose

IMO Paul didn't show enough to warrant a rematch, a bad decision won't suffice with the boxing committee. The fight was one sided, there would be no appeal from outside Ireland for a rematch because from what we saw Paul doesn't possess any offensive threat to beat Khan.

It was unfortunate that he wasn't allowed fight on and I feel gutted for him, but he didn't show anything to suggest he could win a rematch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement