Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amir Khan v Paul McCloskey - Manchester, April 16

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Terrible stoppage but as mentioned above Paul didn't know how to get his counters off. Khan was too fast, but displayed very little power in my opinion, just sprayed out weak combinations and got out.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

corny wrote: »
    I find it incredible that you actually think thats true. How was he 'getting stronger'? He should have been as strong in round 6 as he was when the bell rang in round 1 because he did **** all in between. Also, Khan fought Maidana 4 months ago (don't know if you're aware of that) in all out war. Incessantly pressured, taking huge shots he had the fitness to go out and win the 12th, in my book anyway. What the **** makes you think 6 rounds of posing would make him tired?

I have agreed that Khan was not in much trouble but either was Paul. This fight was still there for the taking.. Both fighters especially Khan were expending a lot of energy.

I am saying nothing was certain for either side. Khan was the one said he would have Paul out early... Paul had already put that plan in the bin...

Paul was saying he was on his original plan. Khan was not.

Truth is Khan value was saved by that fight finishing early. He was looking bad. Paul was exposing him as a poor tactical fighter...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

CowboyTed wrote: »
    I have agreed that Khan was not in much trouble but either was Paul. This fight was still there for the taking.. Both fighters especially Khan were expending a lot of energy.

I am saying nothing was certain for either side. Khan was the one said he would have Paul out early... Paul had already put that plan in the bin...

Paul was saying he was on his original plan. Khan was not.

Truth is Khan value was saved by that fight finishing early. He was looking bad. Paul was exposing him as a poor tactical fighter...

How? By losing every round?

Khan has lost once in his career and he's shared the ring with some pretty decent fighters. How then, can an inferior boxer expose him by losing every round? No offence buddy but you're talking bollox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

CowboyTed wrote: »
    Paul was exposing him as a poor tactical fighter...

So Paul "exposed" him by losing every round while only managing to land about 3 shots a round. Interesting, generally when you expose someone you show others an easy way of beating someone who was considered to have very few weaknesses before (like Arthur Abraham). I doubt there'll be too many fighters rushing to use McCloskey's plan of avoiding shots and throwing little back to tire Khan out

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭iluvcheese92

rocco. wrote: »
    Dunne was behind on the scorecards against cordoba but eventuality knocked him out! Whats the point in having 12rounds with that atittude? Its a World Championship fight, a cut requiring two stitches should not stop it!
    If Kahn had of been the one with the cut there is no way the fight would have stopped so pre maturely!
    Dunne was well in that fight though. McCloskey couldn't even mount ONE offensive attack. In the words of Larry Merchant "Amir Khan was fighting an amoeba".
    I think Khan is overrated but at the end of the day he did what he had to do, outbox mccloskey in EVERY round, which he did with relative ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

walshb wrote: »
    Blowing hard? Maybe he was. But so what. The guy has proved his fitness and stamina.

he may have proved his fitness and stamina in the past but i definately didnt see it on saturday night. he looked tired and flustered before that farce of a stoppage......... and after 6 rounds??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭SupaNova

Watched again, HBO coverage, this time my ears didn't bleed listening to those wretched Primetime commentators. After watching again i can only conclude that it would have been more of the same.

Guessing:
    Unanimous Decision Khan - 60%
    Late Stoppage Khan - 39.5%
    Paul Somehow - .05%

I can compliment Paul's defense, but you could have the best defense in the world and still not win a fight with no offense. I think Khan done his job, didn't look great but i don't think anyone will against McCloskey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭SupaNova

he may have proved his fitness and stamina in the past but i definately didnt see it on saturday night. he looked tired and flustered before that farce of a stoppage......... and after 6 rounds??

I watched the fight again with a was looking for any reason to suggest Khan was tired or flustered after reading the comments on this thread. I couldn't find a reason to justify that conclusion. Khan landed one of his best shots of the fight in the 6th round and the round was playing out similar to the first 5. I didn't see anything from Paul to make me think that the later rounds would be different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭makl

McCloskey on newstalk106 on off-the-ball later. no time given yet

...edit after 8pm

...edit2 on now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Terrible stoppage but as mentioned above Paul didn't know how to get his counters off. Khan was too fast, but displayed very little power in my opinion, just sprayed out weak combinations and got out.

honestly, who gives a flying f*ck if McCloskey could not get his shots off, the stoppage was a joke. He would more than likely have been beaten on points but doesn't mean it should have been stopped. He wasn't taking punishment.

The ref should have allowed Khan win like a man, rather than celebrate like a chump after such a farcical stoppage. Not a bit of humility. Even claiming McCloskey didn't want to contiue tells you all about the class of Amir Khan.

What in the name of f*ck was the doctor even doing hopping into the ring???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

I didnt think Paul was doing as bad as some on here thought (no shock to see Walshy having a dig at McCloskey, the man has issues!)

John Breen told me in the days before the fight that the gameplan was to weather the early storm and take more chances in the second half of the fight.

Could Paul have done that? Who knows, he didnt seem to be able to make Khan pay for his air shots. The sour thing about it is that we will never now know.

On the plus side. We had over 1000 people at the afterparty and it was great success.

The other plus was this - :D

207255_1927134948245_1538320563_32065759_5516386_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

^^^^

Dude on the left looks like hes getting married

good old buffer, a class apart. even announcin the TD, didn't even bat an eyelid to what was goin with the other 25 heads in the ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

theres a few diferent arguments going on here and there is truth and valid reasonings in everyones points of views in my opinion!

1. i think we all agree the stoppage was shady in regards did paul want to quit? did he think his eye was worse than it was? why was the doc so quick into ring etc etc???

we dont know but we all agree i think that it was a poor way to end the fight!

2. we can argue that it didnt matter that the fight was stopped as khan was easily beating mcloskey?

true he was easily beating him on the point cards that was clear to see! but how can any of us be sure that mcloskey wasnt waiting till the last quarter of the fight to unload i agree its unlikely but its unfair to say mcloskey couldnt of won in the last few rounds he hadnt been on the ground or hurt prior to the stoppage

3. khan was tiring as rounds went on?

naturally that is what happens when u exert energy u do tire but khan didnt seem exhausted or anything? but i do remember anounncers saying that khan was tiring if my memory serves me right? he was throwing alot of flurrys and mcloskey wasnt letting any shots off maybe he was saving it for the later rounds who knows????

4. that khan is world elite class / deserves the praise and media attention hes getting?

its fair to say he has beaten a few very good fighters and has very fast hand speed and is on a great winning streak and is a great asset to english boxing! none of us know how far he will go before he is outclassed?? maybe he will never be outclassed??? who knows but i think it fair to say that he is a very good young prospect under very good trainer freddie roach and anything is possible but its also fair to make the comparison of englands last fan favourite ricky hatton and what hapened him when he went up to the top level so its easy to see why people wince at the media attention hes getting as he has yet to prove hes at world elite level but is getting the respect and praise of an elite world level fighter

fair post i think guys:)

john47832 wrote: »
    ^^^^

Dude on the left looks like hes getting married

I've already been through that pain two years ago hombre! :P

221893_10150163586748450_529758449_6896614_694799_n.jpg

They aint happy in Derry.

Some turn out to be fair. All the controversy wont have done the lads profile any harm.

215320_211460848883343_100000582889610_763839_1692366_n.jpg

215320_211460845550010_100000582889610_763838_3250726_n.jpg

207269_211463662216395_100000582889610_763858_70297_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

thats unbeliavable support :)

theres a few diferent arguments going on here and there is truth and valid reasonings in everyones points of views in my opinion!

1. i think we all agree the stoppage was shady in regards did paul want to quit? did he think his eye was worse than it was? why was the doc so quick into ring etc etc???

we dont know but we all agree i think that it was a poor way to end the fight!

2. we can argue that it didnt matter that the fight was stopped as khan was easily beating mcloskey?

true he was easily beating him on the point cards that was clear to see! but how can any of us be sure that mcloskey wasnt waiting till the last quarter of the fight to unload i agree its unlikely but its unfair to say mcloskey couldnt of won in the last few rounds he hadnt been on the ground or hurt prior to the stoppage

3. khan was tiring as rounds went on?

naturally that is what happens when u exert energy u do tire but khan didnt seem exhausted or anything? but i do remember anounncers saying that khan was tiring if my memory serves me right? he was throwing alot of flurrys and mcloskey wasnt letting any shots off maybe he was saving it for the later rounds who knows????

4. that khan is world elite class / deserves the praise and media attention hes getting?

its fair to say he has beaten a few very good fighters and has very fast hand speed and is on a great winning streak and is a great asset to english boxing! none of us know how far he will go before he is outclassed?? maybe he will never be outclassed??? who knows but i think it fair to say that he is a very good young prospect under very good trainer freddie roach and anything is possible but its also fair to make the comparison of englands last fan favourite ricky hatton and what hapened him when he went up to the top level so its easy to see why people wince at the media attention hes getting as he has yet to prove hes at world elite level but is getting the respect and praise of an elite world level fighter

fair post i think guys:)

1. Yeah it was a poor decision and i think in 49 pages of this thread no one yet has said it was the correct decision to stop it but that doesn't excuse all this 'cheated not defeated' nonsense. The rules are there and after 2 or 3 rounds of being outclassed he should have made some effort to get into the fight. He didn't and the ref probably thought easy decision. Man hurt accidentally, its been a non contest for 6 rounds anyway, lets stop the fight. I'm convinced that if Paul had made the effort and been competitive in the rounds the ref would have given him a chance. As it is HE made the fight a non event.

2. He could have won. Any boxer always has a punchers chance. We've all seen boxers you wouldn't give a prayer to land a lucky punch and win the fight but so what. Khan could turn the righteousness around and act upset that the referee has effectively killed his appeal in Britain. Its all idle speculation anyway. Again he had 6 rounds to get competitive and he failed. Thats fact. Saying he could of done this or he could of done that is just talk.

3. Khan upped the workrate in the 6th and just prior to the head clash he'd thrown a huge volume of punches (lots of which hit McCloskey). Naturally you breath when you let go of that many punches but it doesn't mean you're finished. You sprint 100M you're gonna be panting but it doesn't mean that after a minutes rest you're not ready to go again. Like i said Khan proved he's there for the long haul againt MM.

4. Look. Khan is internationally rated as the second best light welterweight behind Bradley. He's now beaten the fourth best (Maidana) and the 8th best (McCloskey) and he has the second highest KO percentage behind MM in the top 10. He's not a prospect ffs he's alive and kicking in the division and in July, if things go to plan for him, he'll unify the division and become the best light welterweight in the world. 'Elite level fighter'? Whats not elite about being the undisputed champion of the division? Side note: I think he's a good chance against Bradley.

And BTW Ricky Hatton was exposed by just 2 fighters and they've been exposing fighters for years. (De La Hoya lost to the same 2 men. Was he exposed at the 'Elite world level'?) In beating Castillo, Tszyu and the likes i think he was already fighting at the top level. It took balls to fight two fighters you know you're probably up **** creek against.

• Advertisement

4. Look. Khan is internationally rated as the second best light welterweight behind Bradley. He's now beaten the fourth best (Maidana) and the 8th best (McCloskey) and he has the second highest KO percentage behind MM in the top 10. He's not a prospect ffs he's alive and kicking in the division and in July, if things go to plan for him, he'll unify the division and become the best light welterweight in the world. 'Elite level fighter'? Whats not elite about being the undisputed champion of the division? Side note: I think he's a good chance against Bradley.

Time to get a grip on Khan's level.

World class light-welter? Sure.

Where would you put him in on a list of 12 lightweights to welterweights. I have him above rios, diaz, katsidis, vazquez & berto maybe and level with bradley til they fight. That's about 7th or 8th, in a pfp summary of 3 weights.
    Rios, Vazquez, Ortiz and Khan are youngest, all aged 24. Not elite level yet, but potentially. think he has to move to welter and fight the best there before even considering it. time yet. Ortiz would be a killer now, he fought at 161 v Berto!

1. Marquez
    2. Guerrero
    3. Vazquez
    4. Rios
    5. Diaz
    6. Katsidis

7. Mayweather
    8. Pacquiao
    9. Mosley
    10. Ortiz
    11. Berto
    12. Bradley

on a side note, just noticed while doing this ryan rhodes is off to mexico to fight saul alvarez 18 june, tough trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭deisedelight

thats incredible suport for paul.
    having 7000 fans in manchester is ridiculous support. its hatton like .
    hopefully paul will learn from this experience and go seek some bigger fights.
    while the stoppage was a disgrace , i dont see paul winning that fight on saturday but thats besides the point in many ways as was out of his hands once the doctor stepped in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

makl wrote: »
    McCloskey on newstalk106 on off-the-ball later. no time given yet

...edit after 8pm

...edit2 on now

Can't find that on the off-th-ball podcast, it has yesterdays show, any ideas?

Can't find that on the off-th-ball podcast, it has yesterdays show, any ideas?

think its uploaded the followin evening. ill check later

Time to get a grip on Khan's level.

World class light-welter? Sure.

Where would you put him in on a list of 12 lightweights to welterweights. I have him above rios, diaz, katsidis, vazquez & berto maybe and level with bradley til they fight. That's about 7th or 8th, in a pfp summary of 3 weights.
    Rios, Vazquez, Ortiz and Khan are youngest, all aged 24. Not elite level yet, but potentially. think he has to move to welter and fight the best there before even considering it. time yet. Ortiz would be a killer now, he fought at 161 v Berto!

1. Marquez
    2. Guerrero
    3. Vazquez
    4. Rios
    5. Diaz
    6. Katsidis

7. Mayweather
    8. Pacquiao
    9. Mosley
    10. Ortiz
    11. Berto
    12. Bradley

on a side note, just noticed while doing this ryan rhodes is off to mexico to fight saul alvarez 18 june, tough trip.

Tim Bradley is 8th on the overall pound for pound list. Does that mean because you rate Khan alongside him Khan is one of the top 10 boxers in the world? I'm not really big on lists and what you learn from them but suffice it say i'd have him at least giving your list a fight. Would any of them make him look silly? I don't think so in all honesty. Does he have to beat everyone of them to be considered 'elite level fighter'? Again i don't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I didnt think Paul was doing as bad as some on here thought (no shock to see Walshy having a dig at McCloskey, the man has issues!)

Hold on. There are about 15 other posters here who see the fight and result as I did. So why single me out?:rolleyes:
    So, now we have to lie just so we aren't accused of having a "dig" at a fighter. And I have issues? Cop on FFS.
    Yes, Paul boxed great, landed loads and had Khan on queer street, and was robbed. Happy?

So, calling a fight as you saw it is having a "dig?"

The man was not in the fight for 6 rds, that is not a dig, that is fact.
    The man should have been allowed to continue. We all agree on that.

The most positive thing anyone could say about Paul for 18 mins was
    that "he was making Khan miss." I mean, if that is not clutching at straws, I don't know what is.
    Robin Reid, Collins and the others, that is the best they could come up with.

Initially I had thought that Paul did quit, (that is not a dig, it's what I thought right at the time) as did Roach, and others because he didn't seem to protest when the ref and doc were talking to him. BUT, I and others have put that down to possible confusion.

Khan was knackered? Ready to go? That to me is nonsense from Paul and his camp? Is that me also having a "dig?"

So, where is this "digging" coming from?

• Advertisement

Tim Bradley is 8th on the overall pound for pound list. Does that mean because you rate Khan alongside him Khan is one of the top 10 boxers in the world? I'm not really big on lists and what you learn from them but suffice it say i'd have him at least giving your list a fight. Would any of them make him look silly? I don't think so in all honesty. Does he have to beat everyone of them to be considered 'elite level fighter'? Again i don't think so.

the list is very distorted as it doesn't take into the strengths of the different weight categories, coupled with the weaknesses of any list system e.g. any mexican who beats ten mexicans in mexico can make top 5.

i think ortiz embarrasses khan, especially after seeing sat night, and hed be just scraping my top 5. khan could well be at 154 in 3 years time, theres a host of other fighters that will cause him problems.

i think mcclosley had the brains to win that fight. khan, the more skilful boxer no doubt, looked lost and clueless at times. just running in straight lines at paul with 6-8 punches. 1 combo in 6 rounds worked well. hopefully we will see khan and mccloskey back in action soon v top opposition and this can be put to bed.

the list is very distorted as it doesn't take into the strengths of the different weight categories, coupled with the weaknesses of any list system e.g. any mexican who beats ten mexicans in mexico can make top 5.

i think ortiz embarrasses khan, especially after seeing sat night, and hed be just scraping my top 5. khan could well be at 154 in 3 years time, theres a host of other fighters that will cause him problems.

i think mcclosley had the brains to win that fight. khan, the more skilful boxer no doubt, looked lost and clueless at times. just running in straight lines at paul with 6-8 punches. 1 combo in 6 rounds worked well. hopefully we will see khan and mccloskey back in action soon v top opposition and this can be put to bed.

Amen.

Hopefully Khans next opponents won't pussy out of a fight and hide for 6 rounds. Hopefully they'll come looking to win and we'll see just how clueless Khans fast hands are.

Put it to bed all you like

fact is Khans fast hands were slower than Pauls reactions - the dude took the middle of the ring, stood with hands down and "lightening khan" still couldnt connect for 6 rounds - i could see no different happening for 60 rounds

doesnt look good for Khan IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Boooourns

fact is Khans fast hands were slower than Pauls reactions - the dude took the middle of the ring, stood with hands down and "lightening khan" still couldnt connect for 6 rounds - i could see no different happening for 60 rounds

All boxers have off nights and i really think Khan had one too, the whole buildup to the fight affected him, i have no doubt about that.

He did connect, with at least 4 times more success than Paul.

I am confused. Is your post meant to slate Khan, or praise Paul?

It seems that you are saying that Paul was the "winner" because he managed to avoid a lot of shots? Yes, he did, but he did nothing to win the fight.

60 rds? But, can Paul do anything in 60 rds, apart from posing and avoiding and defending? You don't win fights by doing that.

It seems to me that folks are making this out as a success. They just wanted Paul to make Khan miss, and if he did this, then that is a success, he has made Kahn look "bad." Conveniently forgetting that for 6 rds Paul did virtually nothing to earn any of the rds.

So, what is it? Was Khan so bad, and if so, what does this mean Paul was, because if we say Khan was so bad, and won 6 rds to nil, then that means Paul was really dreadful. Appalling!

• Advertisement

Boooourns wrote: »
    All boxers have off nights and i really think Khan had one too, the whole buildup to the fight affected him, i have no doubt about that.

An off night where he still won all rds and never looked bothered, as in, hurt or under pressure.

BTW, he will need to be in top shape for Bradley. I think he can beat Bradley.
    Like some have said, Paul will be troublesome for many fighters, and will make many fighters "look" bad. But, making them "look" bad whilst not coming close to winning, well, what good is that?

think its uploaded the followin evening. ill check later

Its up there now, Part 3, 27 mins in

Came across well, seems content that a rematch is highly unlikely.

This thread has been hard to read sometimes, yes Khan won ever round but who's to say McCloskey wouldn't have knocked him out, it didn't seem he did much damage to Mc. He's a ugly boxer to watch alright but he's effective, it's disappointing for the lad to loose the chance at the belt for a decision like that, only good thing is he'll get another shot because of the way it finished

And Khan came across a pure cnut post match as he always does

This thread has been hard to read sometimes, yes Khan won ever round but who's to say McCloskey wouldn't have knocked him out, it didn't seem he did much damage to Mc. He's a ugly boxer to watch alright but he's effective, it's disappointing for the lad to loose the chance at the belt for a decision like that, only good thing is he'll get another shot because of the way it finished

Why has the thread been hard or difficult to read?

No particular reason, it wasn't meant to be a dig at anyone

Effective? Jesus Christ. What were you saying was hard to read?

He did connect, with at least 4 times more success than Paul.

I am confused. Is your post meant to slate Khan, or praise Paul?

why does a post have to be either a praise or a slate - I merely stated thee facts

and the reason the therad is difficult to read is because it seems like Missus Khan is posting under a number of aliases - I'm not naming names but walshb and corny are obvious candidates

why does a post have to be either a praise or a slate - I merely stated thee facts

and the reason the therad is difficult to read is because it seems like Missus Khan is posting under a number of aliases - I'm not naming names but walshb and corny are obvious candidates

Oh, so you don't really have an opinion on the fight?

I never once said that Khan boxed great. He did what he had to do against a spoiling and defensive minded McCloskey. At times Khan did look awkward and sloppy, but it was a lot to do with Paul's tactics. Still, the tactics were not getting him any rds in the bag.

Watching Kahn on Saturday would not lead me to believe that he is the best
    in the world p4p. He still has improving, and there are several fighters out there that are big dangers to him.

As for the Missus Khan? Well, like I said, I never said Khan was great on Saturday, he was simply greater than Paul, which we all kinda' knew anyway.

Effective? Jesus Christ. What were you saying was hard to read?

Yes effective, McCloskey is an awkward fighter and I think he made Khan look poor, who's to know if Khan would of knocked him out, I thought Mc looked comfortable and wasn't under any great trouble from Khan.! Over the 6 rounds Khan was the better fighter, I'm not disputing that but its highly unfortunate the way it ended & I think he deserves another shot for the way it finished. The lack of class and bull**** from Khan post match was disgraceful, if he is that confident about knocking him out give him another fight, I think Khans camp underestimated the fight, pass on my message:pac:

Yes effective, McCloskey is an awkward fighter and I think he made Khan look poor, who's to know if Khan would of knocked him out, I thought Mc looked comfortable and wasn't under any great trouble from Khan.! Over the 6 rounds Khan was the better fighter, I'm not disputing that but its highly unfortunate the way it ended & I think he deserves another shot for the way it finished. The lack of class and bull**** from Khan post match was disgraceful, if he is that confident about knocking him out give him another fight, I think Khans camp underestimated the fight, pass on my message:pac:

Ok so losing all six rounds is effective? Please tell me you're winding me up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Khan will have a career like Hamed ~ overhyped, overrated, ready to be exposed, surrounded by dodgy family and will make a shed load of money. That Khan manages to be even more obnoxious is quite an achievement. Even Hamed had a bit of humour to be fair to him. And both have seriously injured people by being clowns behind the wheel of a car. Like Hamed khan will end up like a good for nothing chump.

• Advertisement

Paul's reactions weren't that quick or else he'd have reacted fast enough to throw a punch back every once in a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭BoxingIrel.com

Paul's reactions weren't that quick or else he'd have reacted fast enough to throw a punch back every once in a while

That was the most dissapointing thing about the night. Paul did make Khan miss but didnt capitalise when the opportunity presented itself.

Oh, so you don't really have an opinion on the fight?

I have add my opinion over the last 30 something pages - I think Pauls best chance was going to come in the second half of the fight as Kahn WAS looking the more tired of the 2

of note goldenboy quoted in the Independent as saying Paul does deserve a rematch - however methinks they are more attracted to the money from the large support group - and the likelyhood of Khan losing being slim

I have add my opinion over the last 30 something pages - I think Pauls best chance was going to come in the second half of the fight as Kahn WAS looking the more tired of the 2

of note goldenboy quoted in the Independent as saying Paul does deserve a rematch - however methinks they are more attracted to the money from the large support group - and the likelyhood of Khan losing being slim

Yes, I heard Oscar yesterday on the radio mentioning this. It's all big business. Saw the fight again today, and must admit, the whole doctor/ref and outcome was a wee bit suspect. The way it happened so fast.

I just didn't see Khan looking the more tired of the two, even though he was the one doing 90 percent of the actual work. What did you see? Heavy breathing? But of course, it is only natural that as the fight progresses the fighters will tire. Regardless, nothing in the 18 mins from Paul led me to believe that he could suddenly launch a strong enough assault to cause a stoppage or points win.

It's mad, for this view, I was accused of having issues,:rolleyes: and of 'digging' at Paul. Ludicrous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 jonnyhips

Yes, I heard Oscar yesterday on the radio mentioning this. It's all big business. Saw the fight again today, and must admit, the whole doctor/ref and outcome was a wee bit suspect. The way it happened so fast.

I just didn't see Khan looking the more tired of the two, even though he was the one doing 90 percent of the actual work. What did you see? Heavy breathing? But of course, it is only natural that as the fight progresses the fighters will tire. Regardless, nothing in the 18 mins from Paul led me to believe that he could suddenly launch a strong enough assault to cause a stoppage or points win.

It's mad, for this view, I was accused of having issues,:rolleyes: and of 'digging' at Paul. Ludicrous.

lads i have been hearing the doctor got in the ring on De La Hoya's advice?? how true that is i dnt know...

if it is the case that is terrible- and its terrible the reason for not giving a rematch is mostly buisness related... they get more money for the bradley fight obv so paul has no hope-

is it sport or buisness....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

That was the most dissapointing thing about the night. Paul did make Khan miss but didnt capitalise when the opportunity presented itself.

I think that's because he wasn't quick enough to reply with anything meaningful. Early on he did have some success in slipping shots, but had he been more gung-ho in his approach, as demanded by some, Khan would have punished with swift counters. As someone said earlier anything can happen in a fight, but from what i've seen of Paul's previous fights, I saw little evidence that Paul had the punching power to turn things around if the fight had continued. If Paul and his team were relying on Khan gassing, it was highly unlikely because Khan had gone through a war from start to finish in his previous fight, and lasted the distance, in this fight he was definitely not being exerted(?) to the extent he was against Maidana

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭sxt

I think that's because he wasn't quick enough to reply with anything meaningful. Early on he did have some success in slipping shots, but had he been more gung-ho in his approach, as demanded by some, Khan would have punished with swift counters. As someone said earlier anything can happen in a fight, but from what i've seen of Paul's previous fights, I saw little evidence that Paul had the punching power to turn things around if the fight had continued. If Paul and his team were relying on Khan gassing, it was highly unlikely because Khan had gone through a war from start to finish in his previous fight, and lasted the distance, in this fight he was definitely not being exerted(?) to the extent he was against Maidana

Nacho Libre...Did you not find it bizarre beyond belief when a Doctor jumped in mid round and stopped the fight there and then? In a WORLD championship fight...not even allowing anyone to attend to the cut?...

I think I remember Bernard Dunne having halve his skull opened and being alowed to fight on with no intervention ( It was a dramatically deeper cut than that of Mcloskey from my memory)....in an european fight...It was stopped in the next round I think? ...but not until the round was over and his corner had time to try and attend to it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

sxt wrote: »
    Nacho Libre...Did you not find it bizarre beyond belief when a Doctor jumped in mid round and stopped the fight there and then? In a WORLD championship fight...not even allowing anyone to attend to the cut?...

I think I remember Bernard Dunne having halve his skull opened and being alowed to fight on with no intervention ( It was a dramatically deeper cut than that of Mcloskey from my memory)....in an european fight...It was stopped in the next round I think? ...but not until the round was over and his corner had time to try and attend to it....

yes i do. i think everyone here agrees it was a premature stoppage. as i mentioned earlier it was a ludicrous decision, especially when you consider Barrera, a previous Khan opponent, had blood pumping into his eye and was allowed to continue for three- four rounds- just long enough for it not to be declared a no contest.

However if you are implying the stoppage on Saturday night was a conspiracy, i don't see how the premature stoppage benefitted Khan, because he was clearly winning the fight.

They could have tried to get him out of there early before he stunk up the show :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

yes i do. i think everyone here agrees it was a premature stoppage. as i mentioned earlier it was a ludicrous decision, especially when you consider Barrera, a previous Khan opponent, had blood pumping into his eye and was allowed to continue for three- four rounds- just long enough for it not to be declared a no contest.

However if you are implying the stoppage on Saturday night was a conspiracy, i don't see how the premature stoppage benefitted Khan, because he was clearly winning the fight.

they just might have realised what was coming

Advertisement