Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christenings

• 14-01-2011 3:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭

I've been asked to take photographs for a christening and was pretty happy to be asked.

I've never photographed inside churches ect and imagine they're full shadows and shining light (depending on the weather). I have photographed the baby and he's a fan of the camera already and lights up when he sees it I swear.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? Even some suggested photo blogs relating to the topic? Trying to google some.

I really want to do a good job for them, they're family so probably wouldn't show their disappointment but I want to go prepared. Its not important like a wedding or anything but its their first baby and they're over the moon so I want to make them happy.

I'm a bit clueless and would like to be prepared. especially as I'm 23 and haven't any children, I have no idea what type of photographs of christening one would like to have in the future, beyond baby getting his head wet :confused::confused:

I prefer photographing people when they're unaware or relaxed but I find sometimes I draw too much attention to myself without meaning to and they end up looking like deer in the lights. Strangely its photographing my family that seems worse for this than friends or randomers....
    :) thanks in advance for any replies

edit: Oh yeah, I mainly photograph for my art practice so I'm used to taking photographs for MYSELF not others so I guess thats why I'm nervous lol.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Fnergg

Make sure you check with the priest/minister beforehand if it's OK to take photos during the ceremony.

If it is, THE shot you need to capture is the pouring of the holy water on the baby's head. That is the quintessential baptism photo.

Other than that, I'd suggest taking some shots - formal and informal - of the baby with the parents/godparents/grandparents etc.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

baby's head getting "wetted"

candle lighting part

godparents - vowing to take care etc etc

after ceremony.... pictures of the entire group outside the church...mom, dad and baby in front, god parents next and then the grandparents.

if you have several generations (ie. grandmother, mother and granddaughter....or if the child is the first of a new generation)

various other pics.... the parents family (ie. the grandparents and the baby - both side of the family, any aunts/uncles ...just holding the baby....any brothers and sisters - of the child - holding them, basically ...anyone thats there...holding the baby !!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

Thanks its been awhile and completely forgot about the candle lighting and god parents bit. Good idea about the priest too. Might have a wander around my local church this weekend just to test different light settings so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

PCPhoto wrote: »
    baby's head getting "wetted"
    i think i've a different understand of what wetting the baby's head means...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Thanks its been awhile and completely forgot about the candle lighting and god parents bit. Good idea about the priest too. Might have a wander around my local church this weekend just to test different light settings so.
    Also check how many babies are being christened that day, last christening I was at there were 8 babies and the church was almost full. Very hard to get the photo you want with so many jostling for places.
    Some priests are very strict on photos being taken during the ceremony, some are fine with cameras clicking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

i think i've a different understand of what wetting the baby's head means...

ok... in terms of the catholic church ... onnointing of the childs head !! (pouring "holy" water on the head and making the sign of a cross on the forehead ...actually giving the child their name)

in the traditional sense "wetting" the head is having a few drinks to celebrate the birth (not really the christening...but any excuse to have a session in Ireland)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

PCPhoto wrote: »
    in the traditional sense "wetting" the head is having a few drinks to celebrate the birth (not really the christening...but any excuse to have a session in Ireland)
    Would probably make for more interesting photos too, eh? :D

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Also check how many babies are being christened that day, last christening I was at there were 8 babies and the church was almost full. Very hard to get the photo you want with so many jostling for places.
    Some priests are very strict on photos being taken during the ceremony, some are fine with cameras clicking.

Man really? Don't think i've been to a christening before where there was more than one baby. I'll ask the family so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

Man really? Don't think i've been to a christening before where there was more than one baby. I'll ask the family so.

Yes it would be the norm in larger parishes to have several babies christened together. They are likely to be more strict about cameras during the ceremony if there are several families there. If you struggle with low light maybe get the group shots outside, or near the door/window if the weather is against you.

hmboards wrote: »
    Yes it would be the norm in larger parishes to have several babies christened together. They are likely to be more strict about cameras during the ceremony if there are several families there. If you struggle with low light maybe get the group shots outside, or near the door/window if the weather is against you.

its not taking place in a big parish thankfully but its still not the same small rural one the other cousins were christened though. Thanks I didn't realise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement