Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How should Granit Worktops be laid ?

• 14-01-2011 5:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

I am thinking of having Granite Worktops installed in my kitchen but am not sure how to check it is been installed correctly as I have read such different advise.

Some say that it should be laid on top of plywood to give it extra stability and some say it makes no difference and should be laid directly on top of the cabinet carcasses.

Before I choose a company to install it can anyone tell me which is correct.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I don't see any need for plywood. Granite will have enough strength on its own merit.

Speak to the pro's and you can also ask them about warranty's on the stone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭fm

chuchyface wrote: »
    I am thinking of having Granite Worktops installed in my kitchen but am not sure how to check it is been installed correctly as I have read such different advise.

Some say that it should be laid on top of plywood to give it extra stability and some say it makes no difference and should be laid directly on top of the cabinet carcasses.

Thanks.

ply is used when the granite is thicker(front edge)than usual.granite slabs come 20mm or 30mm thick.so if you want your worktop 40mm thick a 20mm slab is used and a strip 20mm thick and about 20mm deep is glued on to the front edge.ply is then used under the main area of the slab to keep it level.if you want your worktop any thicker than 30mm then ply is used(some get it up to 100mm thick)otherwise ply is not used.some suppliers only use 30mm and others use both 20 and 30,the 20mm slabs are cheaper but more labour is involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

Thanks.

In almost all cases where granite is to be used the kitchen supplier will make the cabinet carcasses with solid tops on them, firstly to increase the rigidity of the cabinet, but mainly so the work top has continous ground to be stuck down to, just another point to add the laying of 20mm surface is more common with man made solid work surfaces, and not well used with granite as it is more brittle, and more likely to form hair line cracks, the single piece deeper section being the preferred method

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭chuchyface

Thanks fm for advice, as far as I can remember most suppliers I rang quoted for 30mm so at least I know now that ply is not needed.

Martin the kitchen is already there and has regular worktops, I am just having the worktops replaced so I am assuming when they remove them underneath will just be hollow carcasses.

I really just needed reassurance that it was OK to fit them without ply as I am fairly sick of trades people quoting for a job and then trying to get away with only doing half of it and cutting corners wherever they can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

Thanks Martin for advice, as far as I can remember most suppliers I rang quoted for 30mm so at least I know now that ply is not needed.

Martin the kitchen is already there and has regular worktops, I am just having the worktops replaced so I am assuming when they remove them underneath will just be hollow carcasses.

I really just needed reassurance that it was OK to fit them without ply as I am fairly sick of trades people quoting for a job and then trying to get away with only doing half of it and cutting corners wherever they can.

Chances are with and older already fitted kitchen, ther will only be filler pieces on the front edge of the units, (open the doors and feel the top edge of the unit) if so, you may want fill the top void so to speak, you wil need to do this especially around the sink/sinks as these sit on top of the ply are are glues to the under size of the granite, sandwiched between the two,
    Hope this makes some sense.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭randombar

Any chance you could PM some places you got good prices, looking for granite myself too.

Thanks
    Gary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭chuchyface

Hi Gary,

The best quote I got by far was from a company which was actually recommended here on boards - Egan Marble and Granite, Kilbeggan, Co.Westmeath 057 9333946

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Hi Gary,

The best quote I got by far was from a company which was actually recommended here on boards - Egan Marble and Granite, Kilbeggan, Co.Westmeath 057 9333946

I used Egans for my Granite too. A pleasure to deal with. Went out of his way to come to measure when it suited me. Fitted on time and it came out perfect!

Advertisement