Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this even legal?

• 14-01-2011 5:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭

My 9 yr old son loves xbox so I got him a years gold subscription.
    The other day I noticed a charge of 21 dollars for some xbox points on my credit card.
    When I quizzed him he said he bought them online with the xbox.
    Sure enough, microsoft had stored my cc details with the a/c and he was able to buy anything he wanted without entering any payment details!

Ok fair enough. very sneaky I thought, but I wrote it off thinking that I should have made sure the cc details weren't saved.
    However, this is the part that's pissing me off no end - when I went into his a/c and found where the cc details were saved it wouldn't allow me to delete them.
    It said to goto xbox.com and remove it there.
    Getting more annoyed by the minute I went onto xbox.com and tried to remove the cc details there and again it would not let me, apparently you cannot remove a cc that's attached to a live subscription!

So, my options are either to cancel the cc, cancel the subscription (that's valid until next Christmas) or leave things as they are and let anyone that's playing on his xbox buy whatever they want on his xbox live?

Tell me I've missed something here???? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

BigCon wrote: »
    My 9 yr old son loves xbox so I got him a years gold subscription.
    The other day I noticed a charge of 21 dollars for some xbox points on my credit card.
    When I quizzed him he said he bought them online with the xbox.
    Sure enough, microsoft had stored my cc details with the a/c and he was able to buy anything he wanted without entering any payment details!

Ok fair enough. very sneaky I thought, but I wrote it off thinking that I should have made sure the cc details weren't saved.
    However, this is the part that's pissing me off no end - when I went into his a/c and found where the cc details were saved it wouldn't allow me to delete them.
    It said to goto xbox.com and remove it there.
    Getting more annoyed by the minute I went onto xbox.com and tried to remove the cc details there and again it would not let me, apparently you cannot remove a cc that's attached to a live subscription!

So, my options are either to cancel the cc, cancel the subscription (that's valid until next Christmas) or leave things as they are and let anyone that's playing on his xbox buy whatever they want on his xbox live?

Tell me I've missed something here???? :confused:

i found that strange myself, but as far as i know everything you've said is correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Ring the support line. They'll be able to sort it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

One of the IGN editors was ranting about this over xmas, to remove anything payment related you have to call the helpline. Underhanded way of keeping products 'sticky' by Microsoft but then I expect nothing less from them. Make opting out as difficult as possible so people wont leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I believe that you can also buy gold sub in store - so your son uses code there to activate and your card then is never stored.

Kids with access to cc details - bad.... Guess you are lucky you found out now before they bought a shed load of old games / movies...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

There's an option in the menu to block children making purchases online, can't remember where but google it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

KamiKazi wrote: »
    There's an option in the menu to block children making purchases online, can't remember where but google it.

I know there's an option for Parental Controls on the Xbox menu itself. Try accessing that? (Sorry for being so vague but I don't use this feature).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

while i understand the op's point of view and microsoft could simply add a check this box to remember cc details, why are people surprised, op you know you didnt buy your son a games console but a multimedia machine these things are for adults now more then kids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

isnt there parental controls to restrict marketplace usage? cant op just use them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

It's easier to ring your bank and ask them to issue a new cc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

It is a pain but the support line is very helpful, no excuse for the problem though.

Ring the helpline.
    Turn off automatic renewal.
    You should then be able to remove the credit card details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Wudyaquit

Jagle wrote: »
    while i understand the op's point of view and microsoft could simply add a check this box to remember cc details, why are people surprised, op you know you didnt buy your son a games console but a multimedia machine these things are for adults now more then kids

It's sneaky none-the-less. Even if it had been an adullt using it, they most likely would have been hit with subscription renewal. Who reads all the terms and conditions when signing up for stuff like this anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Wudyaquit wrote: »
    It's sneaky none-the-less. Even if it had been an adullt using it, they most likely would have been hit with subscription renewal. Who reads all the terms and conditions when signing up for stuff like this anyway.

or maybe its not sneaky, most web browsers auto remember passports and logins, id rather my xbox knows that stuff then having to enter my cc details everytime, my point is what does the OP expect when she lets a child play with a toy not ment for children, and no i dont own an xbox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Wudyaquit wrote: »

Not sneaky at all.
    As an adult using the XBOX - this is one feature i LOVE - saves me so much hassle not having to re-enter my cc details nor to remember to renew each year.
    While I don't really like having to pay for this service (PSN anyone) I do appreciate my details being recorded and reused where necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Taltos wrote: »
    Not sneaky at all.
    As an adult using the XBOX - this is one feature i LOVE - saves me so much hassle not having to re-enter my cc details nor to remember to renew each year.
    While I don't really like having to pay for this service (PSN anyone) I do appreciate my details being recorded and reused where necessary.

Its sneaky you can't remove it without ringing MS for 20+ mins.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

It's a subscription service. Pretty much every subscription service I've ever come across is the exact same.

When you sign up for a subscription with Sky it's all the exact same. They keep charging till you ask them stop. I don't see why people get on their high horses when it comes to Xbox. I think it's due to the fact that people still consoles as a kids thing and not part of the adult world, if you will.

It sucks that you have to pay for it, especially considering everything is P2P but there is still the facts of the matter. FFS, they offer a "ready to go" option in pre-paid cards if you don't want to sign up for a subscription.

Microsoft does a lot of bad **** but this is in no way one of them.

dazftw wrote: »
    Its sneaky you can't remove it without ringing MS for 20+ mins.

its sneaky your kids buy stuff with your credit card without asking you first, see what i did there?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

When will people learn that giving MS your details and paying way over the odds for these things is wrong?

MS Charge €60 for 12 months of Live Gold and similarly silly money for the Points yet we have a 2 page thread at the top of this forum full of links to places to buy them cheaper and all the positive experiences people have had with them. You buy one of the codes from the cheaper places, it's emailed to you, you enter that code in via the website and you're done. It's so bloody simple and it sends a message to MS that their overpricing on these things won't fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Wudyaquit

Taltos wrote: »
    Not sneaky at all.

If they had an option to have your details recorded or it more prominently displayed that subscriptions would be auto-renewed it'd still have this problem. Just because other companies do it doesn't make it right. They'll put a checkbox to confirm if you want their spam - if they were being upfront they'd put one in for this too imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

or maybe its not sneaky, most web browsers auto remember passports and logins, id rather my xbox knows that stuff then having to enter my cc details everytime, my point is what does the OP expect when she lets a child play with a toy not ment for children, and no i dont own an xbox
    not meant for children? what a stupid comment.

• Advertisement

garv123 wrote: »
    not meant for children? what a stupid comment.

your joking, why do people believe xbox's and ps3's are for children?
    initial cost of those consoles when they were released xbox 360 was what about 350 and the ps3, wasnt that like 500 euro? my guesses might be a bit off, but no child can afford that, and 60quid a game, a game rated 18+, why do people still think computer games are for kids, the gaming industry makes more then the movie industry, with all the social integration and networks on these things now why do people still think they are sold for kids, they are adult toys.

so please why was my comment stupid? cos you think its stupid for adults to play computer games?

initial cost of those consoles when they were released xbox 360 was what about 350 and the ps3, wasnt that like 500 euro? my guesses might be a bit off, but no child can afford that, and 60quid a game, a game rated 18+, why do people still think computer games are for kids, the gaming industry makes more then the movie industry, with all the social integration and networks on these things now why do people still think they are sold for kids, they are adult toys.

so please why was my comment stupid? cos you think its stupid for adults to play computer games?

i never said its stupid for adults to play computer games. why would i be on this forum if i thought it was stupid for adults to play computer games?
    and most children are spoilt and their parents have no bother buying the consoles for each child.
    so when every parent came on here over christmas looking for advice we should of told them dont get their kids consoles.its for adults only.
    they are for both adults and children. thats why you can also get kids games for it. they are not just adult toys. did you ever use a xbox headset on a call of duty game? listen to the chat on that for a while and you'll see that the parents still got the game for their kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

Not every game is 18+ FIFA is an example thats 3+ and other games are 7+ and 12+.:rolleyes:

i never said its stupid for adults to play computer games. why would i be on this forum if i thought it was stupid for adults to play computer games?

and most children are spoilt and their parents have no bother buying the consoles for each child.
    - so when that parent wonders why the console allows her kids to buy stuff using her cc she might want to remember that it might of in fact not been designed to rip people off but to be a convience

so when every parent came on here over christmas looking for advice we should of told them dont get their kids consoles.its for adults only.
    they are for both adults and children. thats why you can also get kids games for it. they are not just adult toys.
    - i agree they are not just adult toys but are mostly designed and marketed towards adults, and teenagers, id honestly say noone under 12 should have an xbox or ps3, and im a big gamer they just arnt for people that yound

did you ever use a xbox headset on a call of duty game? listen to the chat on that for a while and you'll see that the parents still got the game for their kids.
    - yes i have, and thats my point, they are adults buying these game consoles for their kids, then get pissed off when the kid does something on it that charges the adults cc. maybe the mother should take more interest in what her child is doing on a 300euro console.

and troutfisher i know they makes games that are 3+ or 7+ but my point is the consoles and the majority of devices are more designed for teenagers ad adults then kids

and troutfisher i know they makes games that are 3+ or 7+ but my point is the consoles and the majority of devices are more designed for teenagers ad adults then kids

just like this game and MANY more kinnect games.

they are designed for ALL the family to benefit from hence they make MORE money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

^
    Example of a family game.

your joking right, the kinnect thing isnt for gamers, its a look what we can do excercise and i said that most are for adults, the wii i wouldnt call an adult gamer console the ps3 and xbox would be, now onto the point of the mother should of left her young child unsupervised on the games console not really ment to be kid friendly the the build in cc memory function is great

^
    Example of a family game.

and if the whole family was playing it the child who was unsupervised wouldnt of wasted the parents money from their cc account of other games

and if the whole family was playing it the child who was unsupervised wouldnt of wasted the parents money from their cc account of other games

and now adults must supervise their children playing video games? ah god i give up. anyone out there who got their children xbox's take them off them nowww.

• Advertisement

and now adults must supervise their children playing video games? ah god i give up. anyone out there who got their children xbox's take them off them nowww.

ok honestly, do you think a child can fully understand and use the xbox to its potential, im pretty tech savvy but when i was a kid if there was an xbox i probably couldnt of understood how to use it properly, and if my mother sat me down and said, dont click on anything that says buy because you will owe me money for it, i probably wouldnt of wasted my parents money, is my point

Advertisement