Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photo of the Week # 33 30/12/10 - 6/01/11

• 14-01-2011 5:56am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭

The POTW has been missing a while. I got a bit busy to do it and then it drifted away. However it was a worthwhile thing to do, and so for the New Year it's coming back.

5308068820_fd7c2a5b4b_z.jpg

This image from kev_Longshanks100 is the new POTW. Well done.

Would appreciate if you could tell us a bit about this Photo.

While looking through the posts there are a few "Honourable Mentions"

26B8CCBB77DF45A7A8C10840C33634DD-0000318671-0002100506-00800L-BB73F8D91ABC4350A2CF64CB39393933.jpg

GhostInTheRuins

632BE8955902403EBAD0DD679059762D-0000314346-0002103035-00800L-1C28A8D23E284653A58A3D051FFDF1EE.jpg

BorderFox

7E62CD9327224AC9A254DD607AC81866-0000316428-0002101035-00800L-422B64FC4C1E4C17B860E246D9656CFE.jpg

AnimalRights

Pearl-5.jpg

Rainbowsend

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I remember that first photo, blew me away.

The rest are amazing too, well done guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Wow!! Beautiful images - well done! Great to see the thread is coming back :) Thanks CabanSail!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Wow! Wasn’t expecting that – my first POTW! Thanks for all the thanks guys

Exif info

Camera Canon 40D
    Lens Sigma 10-20mm
    Exposure 30 secs
    Aperture f4
    Focal Length 10mm
    ISO speed 200

It’s a shot of the Crana Bridge, over the Crana river in Buncrana, Co. Donegal, taken when I was at home over the Christmas break.

There are floodlights lighting the bridge most nights during the year, but the past 3 or 4 times I’ve been home they didn’t seen to be on….bad timing? But over the recent Christmas break (when the snow cleared!) I was at a loose end one evening and decided to try and get a shot I’ve had in my head for a while.

I set up the camera on my tripod and framed the shot with f3.5 or something and ISO 1600 in Aperture priority. After messing about a bit in the dark I have happy enough with the frame. Then put the camera in to Shutter speed priority, manual ISO 100 and set it for 30 secs. ISO 100 wasn’t going to be enough (aperture input was blinking – my lens doesn’t open wide enough), so I set it to ISO 200.

I then got my 430EX speedlight and remote triggers set up. I set it to ¼ power and put a full CTO (colour temp orange) gel over it. Then pressed the camera shutter button and during the 30 second exposure I manually fired the speedlight a 5 or 6 times onto the foreground around the camera.

Because the ambient light (the fluorescent floodlights behind the bridge) was a strong orange colour, by putting a CTO gel on the flash meant that my ambient light and foreground light were approx the same colour / temperature. So when I opened the file on my computer, this meant that if I shifted the global white balance to remove the strong orange cast to the shot – everything moved together. If I didn’t use the CTO gel my foreground would have developed a dose of the smurfs (would have got very cold / blue).

Simple enough really.

There was some light fog about that night as well – this gave the lovely effect of slightly emphasising the beam of light from the bridge floodlights. The light from below the last arch is totally blown out….but I think it ads something to it….like somebody mentioned on flickr “Is that Gandalf the White (from the Lord Of The Rings) on the other side of the bridge”. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Thanks for the explanation. Just shows that often a good shot doesn't just happen but is first seen in the mind and then carefully created.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

I then got my 430EX speedlight and remote triggers set up. I set it to ¼ power and put a full CTO (colour temp orange) gel over it. Then pressed the camera shutter button and during the 30 second exposure I manually fired the speedlight a 5 or 6 times onto the foreground around the camera.
    To me it looks like you have lights coming from right and left onto the foreground. No? Great shot btw and congrats!

• Advertisement

kelly1 wrote: »
    To me it looks like you have lights coming from right and left onto the foreground. No? Great shot btw and congrats!

Well yeah i do. Its all from a single speedlight, fired 5 or 6 times randomly either side of the camera

Well yeah i do. Its all from a single speedlight, fired 5 or 6 times randomly either side of the camera
    Where does the remote trigger come into it? If it's remote, you wouldn't have time to move it about, would you? But it's a great idea moving it about in a long exposure!

kelly1 wrote: »
    Where does the remote trigger come into it? If it's remote, you wouldn't have time to move it about, would you? But it's a great idea moving it about in a long exposure!

:o

The remotes were set up to be used, but i've just remembered that they weren't used. Thinking about it now - it was pointless having them for that shot because I only used a single flash (multiple times)!

Thanks Kev :) I must try that idea some time.

Advertisement