Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Measuring spoons

Options
  • 14-01-2011 7:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭

I just bought a set of those measuring spoons and was wondering if a recipe calls for 1 teaspoon is it a heaped one of these measuring spoons or a level one. May seem like a silly question but if you don't know you can really mess up your quantities.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fudge74

I always use a level one unless the recipe calls for a heaped spoonful. Happy cooking!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

gary29428 wrote: »
    I just bought a set of those measuring spoons and was wondering if a recipe calls for 1 teaspoon is it a heaped one of these measuring spoons or a level one. May seem like a silly question but if you don't know you can really mess up your quantities.

Thanks

Not a silly question in my view. Only recently purchased a set of measuring spoons. I realised that my idea of a teaspoon or tablespoon was totally out!:o Yes use level unless the recipe states generous or heaped.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MandyM

And to go one step further, when measuring baking powder and baking soda (bicarbonate of soda), you should have the teaspoon heaped, then level off the top with the back of a knife so it is exactly the measurement that's required. Might sound silly but it's important to be as accurate as possible with raising agents.

For other ingredients like sugar or spices like cinnamon etc you don't need to be quite as accurate so just scoop/fill the spoons till level, shaking off any extra.

Advertisement