Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio documentary about surfing in Clare

Options
  • 14-01-2011 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hey there,
    Just wanted everyone to know about two new surfing documentaries I made for radio about surfing in County Clare.

They can be listened to and downloaded here:
    http://soundcloud.com/rcbdocumentary

The first (simply called Surf Clare) is an overview of the surfing industry in
    Clare; where it's come from, how big it has become, how fast it's grown, and
    where it might be going.

The second (Waves of Consequence)
    concerns the giant waves of Clare's coastline and the surfers who ride them.

Each documentary contains interviews, ambience, music, narration and some sound
    design. I wanted to take the listener out on the waves with the surfers and even
    through a wipeout. I spoke to all of the top surfers in the region including
    Fergal Smith, John McCarthy and Mickey Smith, and a number
    of shop owners, surf instructors and visiting surfers including Tom Buckley,
    Cliodhna Fawl and Pat McCarthy. I tried to give the
    listener a comprehensive picture of the sport and the region in which it takes
    place.

These documentaries were made for Raidio Corca Baiscinn (a non-profit community radio station in West Clare) in association with the Broadcast Authority of Irelands Sound & Vision fund.

Hope you enjoy them and if you know anyone else who might enjoy them do pass on the link.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Peterd66

Really enjoyed these, especially the first one. Captured the essence of surfing, blanking your mind to everything except the next wave!!

Peter:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Well done, it was really nice. Brought back memories. And motivation to excercise even more to be fit for spring. Thanks for posting and sharing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Did it name many spots??

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Brandog

Really good work.Thanks i really enjoyed both of them.No disclosures either!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Radiosurfer

Really pleased to hear you enjoyed them. They were great fun to make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Really pleased to hear you enjoyed them. They were great fun to make.

They were both very good I've give the big wave surfing 10 out of 10. Didn't get time to finish listening to the other one yet

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Radiosurfer

Latest issue of Outsider magazine have a bit on the docs:

http://www.outsider.ie/

Just went up today with a fab pic from Mickey Smith.

Carve mag in the UK also gave them a mention on their site:

http://bit.ly/g1OlxV

Thanks again to everyone for all the positive comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

i really enjoyed both of these, listening to the two of them was much more enjoyable than some of the "irish" surf films of late.

Some of the things the tow in lads were saying was interesting, i've always had a feeling the tow in stuff wasn't actually that difficult once you're dropped in the right spot at the right time, they confirmed that belief. Also the money side of things was interesting too, never really realised how much some of the guys must struggle. Makes their choices and achievements all the more impressive.

Great to see home grown stuff like this, hopefully there's plenty more in the pipeline (no pun intended!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

promethius wrote: »
    Some of the things the tow in lads were saying was interesting, i've always had a feeling the tow in stuff wasn't actually that difficult once you're dropped in the right spot at the right time, they confirmed that belief.
    But they are all also really good surfers and fit a fck so they can take a beating. Micky Smith has had some bad injuries one of the lads also got badly banged up and was air lifted out. It's all fun till it goes wrong then the skill comes into it.

Think I'll watch from the shore or behind a screen. Still great radio programs, do get up the Bundoarn and come back with a report on the big wave tow comp please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

But they are all also really good surfers and fit a fck so they can take a beating. Micky Smith has had some bad injuries one of the lads also got badly banged up and was air lifted out. It's all fun till it goes wrong then the skill comes into it.

Think I'll watch from the shore or behind a screen. Still great radio programs, do get up the Bundoarn and come back with a report on the big wave tow comp please?

That's not the impression i got, one of them was saying there are guys in oz they know towing in that don't surf. I'm not saying i could do it by any means but it's not as difficult as paddling into critical waves. Takes a lot more skill, fitness, experience, judgement, balls etc to paddle into waves than get towed in. That's without trying to start tow in / paddle in debate, i of course understand there's a lot of waves it's impossible to paddle into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

Just had a listen to both of these and they're really well done. Both are very interesting. Great work.

Advertisement