Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy (preferably online in Ireland) 4mm coloured Cork floor tiles ?

• 14-01-2011 10:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been asked a load of times before.

Would anyone have links to any Irish online stores that may sell
    Cork floor tiles and supplies for installing them yourself ?

As I'm not a car owner and dont drive I was ideally looking for
    someplace online that would deliver.

In a few months (or whenever I get around to trying to save some money)
    I'd like to replace the Carpet in the main bedroom in my house with
    something thats not-carpet.

Saw this place, where it looks like you can simply cut the tiles
    with a Stanley Blade and install easy enough as they are only 4mm Thick.
    http://www.corkfloor.com/pics.html

I did a search/google looking for Irish suppliers, only found one website
    that had no prices and no online store.

I spotted a post here from a few years back with someone saying they
    had wanted to do their kitchen using cork tiles but it worked out as
    90 Euro's per Square Meter which sounded Nuts!

Thanks in advance,
    ~B

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,808 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Cork floor tiles used to be a big thing, but if you are looking for something really easy to put down, they are probably not the answer. The floor underneath would need to be really flat (i.e. not floorboards) and you would probably need to seal them.

If you want an easy option, that will look pretty decent, and not cost too much, I'd say laminate is your best option. You will need an electric saw or at the very least a hacksaw to do this, but it really would be easier and probably cheaper in the end.

Any place that sells flooring will deliver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Thanks,

was trying to avoid laminate or junkers etc I wanted something
    unusual and different.

I thought I was great trying to install a wooden floor in a room downstairs before and I made a balls of the job once I started cutting different
    lengths and reaching the windows/fireplace area and ended
    up paying a handyman to finish the job for me.

The idea of being able to cut the cork floor tiles and trim and even shape them with a blade that was not a powertool or did not create dust or noise for some weird reason was appealing to me, Plus I could mess about with patterns before gluing anything.

~B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I did half my house with cork tiles. It is an excellent flooring material. If you are ordering online, it doesn't matter what the country of origin is, the result is the same - you get a delivery of what you ordered.

When I did my house there was an Irish based supplier I used but I think the have gone out of business.

You could contact these people and see if they can supply for DIY: http://www.naturo.ie/flooring_samples.html

I used Arcobel tiles and they were of high quality. I also used contact/impact adhesive to stick them to concrete - after sealing - and you need a good quality mask that is rated for organic solvents - toluene.

Possibly the most important aspect is to use a top quality sealer, even if they come pre sealed. I used Bonakemi Traffic and would never use anything else. It is incredibly tough as it is intended for commercial use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 paul3107

We have a large range of Cork Tiles for sale .
    If you would like us to contact you , please email your contact details and we'll get back to you to arrange a visit . info@paulstevenson.ie

Advertisement