Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old computer game show identification?

Options
  • 14-01-2011 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

How do,
    was wondering if anyone remembers a show on TCC (The Children's Channel) back in the day where two contestants would battle it out in a computer game. They'd both face each other and their respective screens would be housed in some sort of big brain like thing :confused:

I remember the host was this bird who had short blonde hair, kinda reminded me of Annie Lennox and she had a bit of a lisp. Searched TCC's listings but nothing rang a bell, I also think it was quite short (one game in between breaks for other shows).

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

How do,
    was wondering if anyone remembers a show on TCC (The Children's Channel) back in the day where two contestants would battle it out in a computer game. They'd both face each other and their respective screens would be housed in some sort of big brain like thing :confused:

I remember the host was this bird who had short blonde hair, kinda reminded me of Annie Lennox and she had a bit of a lisp. Searched TCC's listings but nothing rang a bell, I also think it was quite short (one game in between breaks for other shows).

Any help would be appreciated.

Bad Influence with Andy Crane and Violet Berlin? Think this was mentioned here recently.

BadInfluence.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Bad Influence with Andy Crane and Violet Berlin? Think this was mentioned here recently.

BadInfluence.jpg
    That's her alright, but I've found it was actually called Head to Head, thanks for the memory kick though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Ah cool, not sure I remember that show. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

I remember Bad Influence. Andy Crane was a legend. I think Jason Bradbury made a brief appearance on it toward the end of it's run although I could stand corrected.

I remember taping the show for the info blast at the end of the show. 99 times out of 100 it was useless as if you hit pause on your VCR half the screen would be covered in tracking lines.

Great show though, preferred it to Gamesmaster and that guy Ben (or whatever his name was) who did a 5 minute segment on games on The Big Breakfast and famously got a stiffy when seduced by Paula Yates giving him a lapdance on the show.

edit: Just looked it up on YouTube. His name was 'Ben The Boffin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

She is still going i was flicking through the obscure freeview channels recently and came across Voilet Berlin still doing a gaming show too !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

My favourite was definitley "The Super Mario Challenge" with the lad dressed up as Mario on it, it was classic 90s tv cheese. I watched it every day on my lunch break from school..

Or there was another one on Sky that had lads dressed up and stuff, like I can remember "Big Boy Barry" on it, and others.. cant remember what that one was called.

I remember too gamesmaster at one stage did a late night show and they had the voilent games on it like Mortal Kombat etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

keithgeo wrote: »
    Or there was another one on Sky that had lads dressed up and stuff, like I can remember "Big Boy Barry" on it, and others.. cant remember what that one was called.

That'll be GamesWorld. Used to love that show...and Gamesmaster...and Head to Head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

David walliams used to play a character on gamesworld!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo7FCEhSaJQ

Lesley Luncheonmeat! According to Wiki it was his first TV appearance

Also more importantly, Jet from Gladiators as the Games Mistress...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'll give this thread 5 G's!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,887 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

5 Golden axes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

I remember at the time thinking how bad gamesworld was! But, hey we all watched it for the games mistress didn't we... Who was nicer looking than Jet for some reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    David walliams used to play a character on gamesworld!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo7FCEhSaJQ

Thanks for posting that, It reminded me about this lady

JetDianePA_468x597.jpg

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'll give this thread 5 G's!

You should update the forum charter and make any talk of Gamezville (sp?) forbidden

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Only praise of Gamezville is prohibited, insta-ban right there.
    Gamesworld was a great show, or set of shows, different programs each evening, great fun and didn't treat viewers like idiots. Big Boy Barry was quite famous off of it, he went into promotion for a videogame related company and was mentioned from time to time in Edge having dropped in some goodies.
    I guess now, with IGN, Gamefaqs and forums like this one easily available the need for a show devoted to gaming news and reviews is less than ever.
    A show based around games to entertain us, like the zero punctuation stuff, that may yet come about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

There is a show on at the moment i think its called Bytesized or something along those lines, actually pretty good but ive only seen it once or twice when im at the parents house as they have Sky.

Advertisement