Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do Irish people use Plastic basins in Sinks?

• 14-01-2011 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭finnegan2010

A friend of mine was over on holidays and asked me what i thought was a good question.......

Why exactly do Irish people put horrible plastic basins in perfectly good sinks?

So i thought about and came up with "People use basins in sinks to hold water when washing etc, Using a basin also helps in saving water. He ascerted "sure when you put a plug in the sink it holds water just as well and as for your point of saving water you're bound to be more likely to pour water down the sink inadvertently if you use a basin".

Is this an Irish Phenomenon ? I have never seen it done in other countries ? Why do we do it? I just do it cos my mum did it lol ! I know its not done in Asia and he was from the states and he never heard of it.

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

To distance ourselves from the British. I think De Valera started the trend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I was trying to think up a witty reply but to be honest I haven't a fcuking clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Insurgent wrote: »
    I was trying to think up a witty reply but to be honest I haven't a fcuking clue.

I was trying the same and failed miserably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

It's like you've got two sinks! - one inside the other and if you need to use the real one you can just lift out the basin of water. Handy if you've only got one sink when you're doing the washing-up, etc for emptying cups down the drain, etc.

Surely 'Thread of the day'!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭finnegan2010

reason i ask is .....

This morning i was cleaning some delph and someone had taken the horrible thing this presented me with a beautiful stainless steel sink.... which does the same thing and looks better

BUT I WANT MY BASIN AND I DONT KNOW WHYYYYYYYYY:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I used it for peeling vegs and so I wouldn't end up blocking the drain with all the crap that came from that and washing up. the crap stays in the basin which you can conveniently empty the water from into the sink and then flip upside over the bin.

Simples

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

It's a throwback from the 'old days' when sinks were huge square marble monoliths and it would take about a gallon of water to cover the bottom.

Also babies were bathed in these sinks and often banged out sheets of loose midden which wouldn't look well mixed with the knives and forks.

Hence the basin was used to conserve water and making washing up easier and more hygienic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

It protects the dishes. I don't think it's just Irish people - after all, Ikea sells those basins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭deandean

I reckon most people put a basin in the sink because that's what their mammy used to do.

It's a horrible habit IMO, right up there with picking your nose while preparing food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

its so you can pour stuff (the left over tae) down the sink - even if your mid-way through washing up!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭jeremyr62

Not unique to Ireland. Common in England too. My mum ((in Manchester) has one which I hate using. Maybe it's an older person thing from when hot water wasn't so easily sourced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Plastic basin in sink.
    Put washing up liquid and put on tap.
    Leave running cos you remembered that you need to put on a wash\do something else real quick.
    Overflow? Goes down sink. (if you don't have that part at the back of it......<shrugs>)

Like a boss. (Maybe).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I've never seen or heard of this :confused:

Sounds like double baggging, maybe the person had a leaky or dodgy sink, or had lost the stopper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Hey OP, I'm Australian have always found the 'plastic basin' thing weird :D

I first stumbled across the phenomenom :D in the UK when I lived there. I thought it so odd. In fact it bothered the hell out of me. The basin always seemed to have some residue on the bottom, slime from the water underneath.. I dunno, I just hated it.

Living in Ireland it was the same thing. I have my own place now and it is and shall remain forever more plastic basin-free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

MIRMIR82 wrote: »
    its so you can pour stuff (the left over tae) down the sink - even if your mid-way through washing up!!!

This is the reason!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Larianne wrote: »
    This is the reason!!

Why wouldnt you just use the toilet?

Joke :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

There are a number of reasons:

1:The base perimeter of the basin is shorter then that of the sink, therefore it takes a lesser volume of water to fill the basin to a adequate depth for washing dishes.

2:Dishes are less likely to brake against the softer plastic basin, than the relatively harder steel sink.

3:And probably most importantly for us Irish people. Our mammies used them, therefore we must do so as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭finnegan2010

This is the reason!!

Hmmmm sounds good but... what about those of us who dont drink cups of tea when doing the washing up? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TaraFoxglove

OP, I don't know why but it drives me mad. My mother insists on keeping a plastic basin in her sink, thinking it more hygienic but I think it's less so.
    The basin always seemed to have some residue on the bottom, slime from the water underneath.. I dunno, I just hated it.

This.

It's so you can rinse off the excess dirt/grease from plates/dishes/cups before you put them in the water so it doesn't dirty up the wash water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

I don't use one and if I wash up in a friend's house, I'll take the basin out of the sink first because it seems to be in the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Because.......um....so you can......eh....

Jesus. I have not one single clue.

Come to think of it this is even stupider than putting those U shaped carpet things around the jacks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

Come to think of it this is even stupider than putting those U shaped carpet things around the jacks

i fuckin hate those things!!!!

I'm .a little pissed off. I gave the explanation/reason in the 5th post and people are still sh*teing on without even giving me thanks.

F*ck yis all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

The heat from the hot water doesnt disperse as quickly in a plastic basin as it does in a metal sink...........and less water used :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭MalteseBarry

There are a number of reasons:

1:The base perimeter of the basin is shorter then that of the sink, therefore it takes a lesser volume of water to fill the basin to a adequate depth for washing dishes.

2:Dishes are less likely to brake against the softer plastic basin, than the relatively harder steel sink.

3:And probably most importantly for us Irish people. Our mammies used them, therefore we must do so as well.

I've never heard of anyone breaking a plate against a stainless steel, or ceramic, sink filled with water.

I agree that it is a curious habit. I've seen someone fill the plastic bowl with crockery, then have to take it all out, fill the plastic bowl with water, then wash it all, again in the plastic bowl.

Logically, it makes no sense at all, and even in houses with dishwashers I've seen the plastic bowl in the sink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

newmember? wrote: »
    I'm .a little pissed off. I gave the explanation/reason in the 5th post and people are still sh*teing on without even giving me thanks.

F*ck yis all.

<pats back>

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, there there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I've never done it (not Irish), but I can think of another reason: the metal of the sink has much higher heat conductivity than the plastic, so the water is likely to stay hotter for longer in the plastic basin. It's Science, People! :cool:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

That's not stupid pal, leave the 'piss collar ' off for a few days and see the residue of dried in piss on the floor.

Gross :eek:

Check it out.

• Advertisement

F*ck yis all.

No-one thanks new members ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Most houses have a dishwasher now so it's not really needed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Peeling spuds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Most houses have a dishwasher now so it's not really needed!

Plus a dishwasher can be cheaper to run and cleaner than manually washing. I remember seeing a program where they demonstrated that the water you use to manually wash up costs more than the water and energy required to run a good eco diswasher.

jester77 wrote: »
    Plus a dishwasher can be cheaper to run and cleaner than manually washing. I remember seeing a program where they demonstrated that the water you use to manually wash up costs more than the water and energy required to run a good eco diswasher.

this is the truth. but with the invention of the dishwasher came the unbearable chore if emptying it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

It's something I never did, yet I knew somebody in the UK who not only used one but threw it out and changed it once a month! I'm imagining a landfill site somewhere near her full of perfectly good basins.

Nutcase!

• Advertisement

That's not stupid pal, leave the 'piss collar ' off for a few days and see the residue of dried in piss on the floor.

Gross :eek:

Check it out.

having the carpet there doesnt make the piss go away. It just means its festering there in a carpet. Just aim properly and clean your goddamned floors

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

It's like you've got two sinks! - one inside the other and if you need to use the real one you can just lift out the basin of water. Handy if you've only got one sink when you're doing the washing-up, etc for emptying cups down the drain, etc.

Obligatory "Yo dawg, we put a sink in your sink so you can wash up while you wash up."

F*ck yis all.

No-one thanks new members ffs.

FecK that, I'm changing my name to 'ol_bastard'. I'm only here for the thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

what I dont get is why people put a stopper in the sink or use a basin, you're washing in dirty water, let the tap run ffs and you wont be washing in filth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

This is probably the most legitimate question I ever seen asked on these here forums :eek:

• Advertisement

what I dont get is why people put a stopper in the sink or use a basin, you're washing in dirty water, let the tap run ffs and you wont be washing in filth
    its people like you that are killing all the polar bears!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

I dont use them... My mother used to but when she got a new kitchen about 10years ago she stopped. They seem unhygenic to me, same reasons, stains, grease and grime build up, yuk.

I also hate those dish stack racks that people use, feckin everywhere I see them they are full of dirt. I just stack dishes on the draining board.

FatherLen wrote: »
    i fuckin hate those things!!!!

Me too, another thing my mother insists on. They're gross.

Words fail me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Fuking hate the basin in the sink. I moved into a shared house and there's a basin in the sink. I dont know why. We have a dishwasher. Nothing ever gets washed in it. You cant even wash a saucepan as there's no space in the basin. Every time i use the sink. I have to take it out. Add when im too lazy to take it out, i still have to take it out to empty the water down the sink. Just leave the feking thing out. It makes life a bit easier.

I think its just people who enjoys making other people's lives miserable. No other reason for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Common people have to have a plastic bowl in the sink, because it would be unhygienic to do the washing up in a sink that someone has just had a piss in.

Billy Connolly once said that boys knew when they had reached manhood, because they could piss in the sink without having to stand on a chair.

having the carpet there doesnt make the piss go away. It just means its festering there in a carpet. Just aim properly and clean your goddamned floors

Steady up there man, it's not a matter of aim.

The drops come from the residue as the flow weakens and shaking the bell-end can distribute them.Also there can be minor discharge before the cock is 'fully established' on the approach to the pot.
    You can also get twin stream syndrome after a bout of heavy petting.

All you do is toss the piss-collar into the washing machine and she's sorted.

No getting down on your knees every day and scraping dried in piss other detritus from the base of your pot.

People are in a hurry these days man.

C'mon.

The drops come from the residue as the flow weakens and shaking the bell-end can distribute them.Also there can be minor discharge before the cock is 'fully established' on the approach to the pot.

No getting down on your knees every day and scraping dried in piss other detritus from the base of your pot.

C'mon.

Youre doing it wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

C'mon.

Thats sick! Them U shaped things should be banned. As for the basin in the sink, I agree its for emptying cups and glasses that have been missed before the sink has been filled. I dont think they are unhygienic as long as the are wiped after use. Handy for hand washing clothes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

i really dont know. I never use a basin. Dirt,crap and grease looks horrible on a plastic basin! Plus its damn awkard in a sink! I use the stopper all the time. A basin takes up space too and u cant fit all the delf in at once.

• Advertisement
Advertisement