Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do Irish people use Plastic basins in Sinks?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

The basin thing is a bogger thing. No civilised person would make washing dishes an even more painful and frustrating task in order to save a couple of mils of water.

In fact this should be in the stingy person thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TaraFoxglove

enda1 wrote: »
    The basin thing is a bogger thing. No civilised person would make washing dishes an even more painful and frustrating task in order to save a couple of mils of water.

In fact this should be in the stingy person thread.

It not about saving water, I don't think, not for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Rockn

It's one of those things I've never even considered. This thread has been a real eye-opener.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

AH = OCD. I like that.

For the Full Irish basin-in-the-sink effect, it is essential to pile the dishes as high as possible in your one and only basin-sink combo. The "water" should be cold, and should contain as much of the sewage from previous "washes" as the Laws of Physics permit. Cold water is necessary because this ensures that the required quantities of grease adhere to everything.

By everything I also mean the cleaning materials themselves, such as the festering banjaxed washing-up brush with the flattened bristles, the blackened pot-scrubber that had already lost all its abrasive qualities when Labour was last in government, and the multi-purpose "dishcloth" that also serves as a major breeding ground for hideous microbes that even the HSE would refuse to infect their patients with.

Having "washed" the dishes in this putrid effluent, it is essential to pile them up on the crud-encrusted dish-rack buried under a mound of toxic suds rather than rinse them in fresh running water. This step is not difficult to complete as one of the main functions of the basin in the sink is to leave little or no room for using the tap, which in the average Irish house is the only source of fresh potable water.

If desired, you can "dry" the dishes by wiping off the suds with a "tea towel", which is typically a well-worn piece of fabric also handy for other applications such mopping up spills, swatting flies and beating the dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Hmmmm sounds good but... what about those of us who dont drink cups of tea when doing the washing up? :confused:

Yer mam always got up from the dinner table to start doing the dishes while everyone else was still drinking their after dinner cuppa. She's be able to pour the leftover tea and all the tea leaves down the sink and flush out the teapot without fcuking up the water in the basin.

Also when you're taking a dish, cup, plate whatever out of the suddsy water you can rinse with cool water from the tap (if you have a moveable single faucet) or you can pour water from a milk bottle or jug over the soapy plate and the excess water won't spill into the basin making it all cold and useless and poxy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    AH = OCD. I like that.

For the Full Irish basin-in-the-sink effect, it is essential to pile the dishes as high as possible in your one and only basin-sink combo. The "water" should be cold, and should contain as much of the sewage from previous "washes" as the Laws of Physics permit. Cold water is necessary because this ensures that the required quantities of grease adhere to everything.

By everything I also mean the cleaning materials themselves, such as the festering banjaxed washing-up brush with the flattened bristles, the blackened pot-scrubber that had already lost all its abrasive qualities when Labour was last in government, and the multi-purpose "dishcloth" that also serves as a major breeding ground for hideous microbes that even the HSE would refuse to infect their patients with.

Having "washed" the dishes in this putrid effluent, it is essential to pile them up on the crud-encrusted dish-rack buried under a mound of toxic suds rather than rinse them in fresh running water. This step is not difficult to complete as one of the main functions of the basin in the sink is to leave little or no room for using the tap, which in the average Irish house is the only source of fresh potable water.

If desired, you can "dry" the dishes by wiping off the suds with a "tea towel", which is typically a well-worn piece of fabric also handy for other applications such mopping up spills, swatting flies and beating the dog.

So are you saying Irish people are dirty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Most houses have a dishwasher now so it's not really needed!

Really? I'd like to see that idea tested.

Some Yank was on the radio last year talking about this (Derek Mooneys show I think), she seemed genuinely purplexed. Her small brain couldn't process the concept of "a sink within a sink" and how handy this is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

New question.
    What's the point of dishwashers? It's as much work bending down, putting it into the dishwasher, then bending down and taking it out when its done, as giving it a quick wipe with a sponge and a rinse.

Plus dishwashers scratch all your glasses.

mike65 wrote: »
    Really? I'd like to see that idea tested.

Some Yank was on the radio last year talking about this (Derek Mooneys show I think), she seemed genuinely purplexed. Her small brain couldn't process the concept of "a sink within a sink" and how handy this is.

Maybe her brain is a normal size and she's used to this kind of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Iwannahurl I'd like to see you try to pick that sink unit up and use it while mopping up a spill in another room! :p

mike65 wrote: »
    Iwannahurl I'd like to see you try to pick that sink unit up and use it while mopping up a spill in another room! :p

For that, I use one of these!

BTW, just found this by accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

My Mammy always has a basin in the sink.

I dont - she hates that I dont! Shes always saying I need one...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Has to be a throw back to bygone days before there was running water. If I had to bring water into my house in buckets everyday, it would make sense to use a basin in the sink so that you wash some dishes, whatever and then lift them out to do something else, without wasting the water.

Agricola wrote: »
    Has to be a throw back to bygone days before there was running water. If I had to bring water into my house in buckets everyday, it would make sense to use a basin in the sink so that you wash some dishes, whatever and then lift them out to do something else, without wasting the water.

That's as far back as December 2010 for a lot of people!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

what I dont get is why people put a stopper in the sink or use a basin, you're washing in dirty water, let the tap run ffs and you wont be washing in filth
    Yes, this makes a lot of sense, despite what other people said. We're always hearing about how unhygienic it is to bath ourselves instead of showering, so why do you people bath your dishes? I let my dishes have a shower.

And as for the basin in the sink - I really f**king hate that. It has all the advantages of a sink except

a) it's smaller than your sink
    b) it doesn't have a plug

Why don't you people put a basin in the bath as well? That way you'll be able to puke and pee down the sides without ruining your lovely bathwater.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ugni

Its bound to be a historical thing before running water people filled the basin with hot water for washing the dishes or spuds and then when finished with the dirty water they would throw it away somewhere outside. The basin was an easy method of getting and getting rid of the water!
    The basin prob just stuck then, if mammy does it then I have to do it too!!

SoulTrader wrote: »
    Yes, this makes a lot of sense, despite what other people said. We're always hearing about how unhygienic it is to bath ourselves instead of showering, so why do you people bath your dishes? I let my dishes have a shower.

It's not. The grime would be at a very dilute concentration in the bathwater, and the heat of the water and presence of soap should deal with any bacteria around.

And shower heads can be reserviors for certain kinds of bacteria.

It's not. The grime would be at a very dilute concentration in the bathwater, and the heat of the water and presence of soap should deal with any bacteria around.

And shower heads can be reserviors for certain kinds of bacteria.
    My shower head is spotless, thank you very much! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Aruba08

:eek:i am such a mank bag ...i have a plastic basin....:eek:

i kind of think the sink looks naked without it

SoulTrader wrote: »
    My shower head is spotless, thank you very much! :p

Inside too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Xivilai

I've never heard of anyone breaking a plate against a stainless steel, or ceramic, sink filled with water.

I agree that it is a curious habit. I've seen someone fill the plastic bowl with crockery, then have to take it all out, fill the plastic bowl with water, then wash it all, again in the plastic bowl.

Logically, it makes no sense at all, and even in houses with dishwashers I've seen the plastic bowl in the sink.

In my college apartment it was my turn to wash the dishes. My friend was standing behind me, I picked up a cup brought it to the sink and somehow smashed it off the tap

Also, yeah we've always used plastic basins, have 2 of them in the kitchen :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

If you have a basin in your sink. I challenge you to turn it upside down, look at the bottom and not throw it in the bin. They are mank :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Aruba08

If you have a basin in your sink. I challenge you to turn it upside down, look at the bottom and not throw it in the bin. They are mank :eek: :eek:
    not if you clean it after the washing up each time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I have seen basins and other containers in sinks outside of Ireland, don't think it's a solely Irish thing to do. If your friend had stayed in my house, they would have never asked the question. Infact, I think your friend is a racist.

Situation:

You are doing the washing up.

You fill the sink with warm water, throw in your Fairy liquid, put on your gloves.

You start putting in glasses, only there's still some drink in some of htem. in fact, there's a whole jug of almost goneoff milk that has to be poured out before you wash the jug.

What do you do? WHAT DO YOU DO!?

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    *HEAD EXPLODE*

That, my friend, is why you fill an easily removed from the thing that drains basin, rather than the sink itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

:eek:

Gloves!!

Inside too?
    I'm uncomfortable with your line of questioning now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

i have seen this in England. I hate it. Use the damn sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

Shur ya can't put the baby directly in the sink to wash it, hence the basin....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

Situation:

You fill the sink with warm water, throw in your Fairy liquid, put on your gloves.

You start putting in glasses, only there's still some drink in some of htem. in fact, there's a whole jug of almost goneoff milk that has to be poured out before you wash the jug.

*HEAD EXPLODE*

That, my friend, is why you fill an easily removed from the thing that drains basin, rather than the sink itself.

A bit of forward planning would help here. Check the washables first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 hangover_ie_ie

Situation:

*HEAD EXPLODE*

Hmmm That explains it. So in fact the irish are actually one step ahead of the rest of the world with the dirty plastic basin thing. Can i make a business of this... hmmmm. Patent pendingggggg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Please don't tar all us Irish with the same brush. I've never used one. I don't know anybody who uses one. In fact, the only time I've seen one was in a house where I was renting. Assumed it was there for a reason, but after about a fortnight, and still not understanding why it would offer any benefit, we got rid of it.

I have yet to see a single poster here offer a legitimate reason either. Save money? How? Emptying tea while you're doing the dishes? wtf? I suppose it's like religion. If that's the way you were brought up, you'll just continue with it, without actually questioning why.

Situation:

*HEAD EXPLODE*

Yeah, I have to say that's what annoyed me as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Situation:

You have a toilet don't ya?

TheBunk1 wrote: »
    Shur ya can't put the baby directly in the sink to wash it, hence the basin....

You can actually. And since the wains make such a mess generally, they ought to be able to earn their keep just a little.

Situation:

*HEAD EXPLODE*

Cure for exploding heads that doesn't involve the greater stupidity and impracticality of a festering footery fecky little basin.

You'd think it would be a no-brainer, but I nearly had to fight with my kitchen supplier to get one installed. He thought I was some sort of eccentric with a screw loose.

Note to self: must start a thread on Irish showers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Seen it done in some parts of the US and a lot of Latin America. So not just an Irish thing.

Seen it done in some parts of the US and a lot of Latin America. So not just an Irish thing.

Pues, como se dice "minging" en estos sitios? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

so ya don't clog the sink :rolleyes: pretty obvious if ya ask me

• Advertisement

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    so ya don't clog the sink :rolleyes: pretty obvious if ya ask me

Can't help my curiosity.

How does a basin prevent clogging? What might be causing the clogging?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Nobody's mentioned rinsing the dishes after washing them. This makes me want my blue blanket.

A bit of forward planning would help here. Check the washables first.

Exactly. The few times I have forgot to chuck some liquid, I've used the bathroom sink or chucked it outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

newmember? wrote: »
    I'm .a little pissed off. I gave the explanation/reason in the 5th post and people are still sh*teing on without even giving me thanks.

F*ck yis all.

Sorry, we generally ignore new members. :p

Sorry, we generally ignore new members. :p

I got thanked on, like, my fifth post. But I'm just awesome. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

I believe it is due to olden days when everybody needed to save every penny they earned. It was rare to own a home. And as a rental, one wanted to preserve every component of a rental, including the sink stopper, lest they be charged to replace it when they moved to a better home. A crazy notion, yes, but quite possibly the correct notion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭MalteseBarry

bnt wrote: »
    I've never done it (not Irish), but I can think of another reason: the metal of the sink has much higher heat conductivity than the plastic, so the water is likely to stay hotter for longer in the plastic basin. It's Science, People! :cool:

I think its much more scientific, much more hygenic, and a much better use of my time to use a dishwasher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭ro09

If you use the sink itself to wash dishes the dishes will scratch the metallic surface , it will look terrible but also there is space around the basin to alllow you to still use the tap if you want to otherwise without the basin your sink would overflow.

Anyway dont mind 'some people' from the states they think they know it all about everything, that they are some sort of superior race.

FTGFOP wrote: »
    Nobody's mentioned rinsing the dishes after washing them. This makes me want my blue blanket.

Oh yes they did.

I think some people react to "basin in the sink" like others react to "reinemachefrau" (see 13:40). :)

I think its much more scientific, much more hygenic, and a much better use of my time to use a dishwasher.

I wouldn't call it scientific exactly, but you're dead right. Thing is, nearly always a need arises for a kitchen sink. And when you have a kitchen sink you realise how restricting just one is.

Go outside or off to the bathroom to chuck our dregs etc? Fret over sink stoppers? Amazing how people adapt to poorly designed kitchens as well as holding on to old domestic habits like they're cultural treasures.

It's an odd thing about human nature, IMO. You might think that our domestic practices are relatively unimportant in the grand scheme of things. But let someone try to criticise our methods -- or worse, impose theirs -- and watch the sparks fly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Oh yes they did:
    wrote:
    Having "washed" the dishes in this putrid effluent, it is essential to pile them up on the crud-encrusted dish-rack buried under a mound of toxic suds rather than rinse them in fresh running water.

That's not the kind of mention I was hoping for! :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement