Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

at what age would you allow your child to own a mobile phone?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

BostonB wrote: »
    Just to annoy them, get one of these phones

http://www.johnsphones.com/

I want one of those phones! Three week battery life, quad band and no more being woken up at stupid o'clock by someone sending drunken text messages.

As far as our children go, my preferance would be that they don't get mobile phones until they are able to buy and fund them themselves, either by saving up pocket money or with a part-time job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭upinthesky

BostonB wrote: »
    Just to annoy them, get one of these phones

http://www.johnsphones.com/
    never seen these before there great tks

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

I have always said my son could wait until he went to secondary school to get a phone but realised he was almost the only one of his friends and classmates not to have one. That in itself didn't change my mind-it was more the fact that he was getting left out of arrangements (or thought he was) that made me back down a little and we got him a very basic one for his 10th birthday. It was a great novelty for about a month....now it's mostly in the drawer and the 10 euro credit we put on it last Summer is still going strong!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭annetted

hi
    i think 12 is about the age that children usually get mobiles - seems to be a confirmation present!

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

lisar816 wrote: »
    maybe try online i think there is a link to them in this tread

I managed to get one today in a shop in the GPO arcade on Henry Street

http://fonemenders.ie/index.html

Had a box load if anyoned is looking for them. They come with o2 sim cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 MaryFMOR

Where do 8 year old who have mobile phones get money for credit?

My 9 year old is constantly nagging me for a phone and I just think he is way too young.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

8yr olds don't need much credit at all if you have laid out the rules at the start. Most young kids I know with phones use them almost exclusively for just playing games, listening to music and messing around with changing settings etc. my 12 yr has phone for last year or so and 10e would last her about 3 months. I know it'll change when she goes to secondary but even her older siblings cost only 20e a month as they get free calls and txts for a month with that. When they run out of credit, they send free txt to friends ("call me"). the mobile companies don't make too much out of my kids :D

Advertisement