Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I have two problems....

• 14-01-2011 11:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

I have a Fujitsu Siemens laptop running XP Pro.

Problem number 1 is a hissing/static sound from the 3.5mm audio output. I seem to only notice it when wearing headphones as opposed to a set of speakers. I think this may just be down to the fact that everything is more prominent and clear when wearing headphones. I am reasonably confident it is not a headphone problem; i have tried two separate sets and both work fine on other devices.

I can notice the hissing/static noise change pitch when doing things like scrolling down a page, opening different applications and running different processes. I should mention that the audio output is fine apart from this underlying static, which can only really be heard between songs; but it is still something i'd like to rectify.

Problem number 2 is constant IP address conflicts. We use a netgear router and at most there can be 5 devices connected to the router, 1 via cable and 4 wireless. I don't know if the DHCP server on the router is just useless, but i know i don't want to assign static IP's to each device.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

For the first issue, try and see if you can download the latest audio driver.

Guessing here but the 2nd issue could be caused by someone grabbing an IP address, and at some time later they put their laptop into sleep or hibernate. Then someone else turns on their laptop which grabs this address because the router see's it not used. When the original person restores their laptop from a sleep or hibernate state, the IP address is used and you may get this error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

for the first one, it could be the headphone lead, pull it slight out of the sound card output jack and see if that fixes it. Mines hisses if i plug it all the way in but if i pull it out slightly its grand( obviously a loose wire or something in my case )

for the second issue, are you sure some of the devices dont have preferred ip addresses setup that end up conflicting?

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭gnolan

Thanks for the replies.

I have the latest driver for the sound card. Pulling the leas out slightly doesn't seem to help.

I think there may be a chance that devices going to standby might be the cause. If that were the case theres probably nothing i can really do about it (without assigning static IP's), i would have thought the DHCP server would sort out that niggly stuff for me. No devices are set with static IP's, they are all automatically assigned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

try another earphone,or buy one of these
    http://shop.ebay.ie/sis.html?_nkw=E+Mu+Emu+0202+audio+interface+external+sound+card+USB+2
    disable existing sound card in device manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

u could try assign "reserved" ip address to each device on your network

go into the router's interface and match each computer's mac address to a reserved ip address. then each pc will always get that ip address assign automatically from the router and avoid your ip conflicts.

this is very handy when reserving network printers/scanners and nas hard drives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭gnolan

ricman wrote: »
    try another earphone,or buy one of these
    http://shop.ebay.ie/sis.html?_nkw=E+Mu+Emu+0202+audio+interface+external+sound+card+USB+2
    disable existing sound card in device manager.

I don't think i'd be interested in that, i'd prefer to fix the problem.
    u could try assign "reserved" ip address to each device on your network

go into the router's interface and match each computer's mac address to a reserved ip address. then each pc will always get that ip address assign automatically from the router and avoid your ip conflicts.

this is very handy when reserving network printers/scanners and nas hard drives.

This could be an option for me alright. Might just assign one laptop with a reserved IP address. Do you think just assigning one reserved address might be enough to stop the conflicts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

gnolan wrote: »
    Problem number 2 is constant IP address conflicts. We use a netgear router and at most there can be 5 devices connected to the router, 1 via cable and 4 wireless. I don't know if the DHCP server on the router is just useless, but i know i don't want to assign static IP's to each device.

The DHCP server would not assign the same IP to 2 different machines. Is it the same machine(s) or the same IP(s) that typically have the confilcts?

Advertisement