Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Security #

Options
  • 14-01-2011 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭

hi there, transferring to USA next month and I was wondering about SSN in the USA, part of the immigration process allowed me to apply for a SSN and when i pass through immigration should get one in about 3 weeks time after I arrive. I was wondering if anyone knew if there were any issues working while waiting for your SSN to arrive, from experience - or had any information/links that might be useful.

Staying with the same company, I just want to be able to work from day1 and not have to wait for a SSN, maybe there is something temporary?

tks for feeback

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 zacchaeus

pyzon wrote: »
    hi there, transferring to USA next month and I was wondering about SSN in the USA, part of the immigration process allowed me to apply for a SSN and when i pass through immigration should get one in about 3 weeks time after I arrive. I was wondering if anyone knew if there were any issues working while waiting for your SSN to arrive, from experience - or had any information/links that might be useful.

Staying with the same company, I just want to be able to work from day1 and not have to wait for a SSN, maybe there is something temporary?

tks for feeback

Did the same a few years back and no issues were had with the employer or SSN# (so long as your working visa dates correspond with your expected work start date). Worked from day one but do remember it did take more that the three weeks to actually get issued the physical card.

This was a major hinderance in opening a bank account & obtaining even accomodation on your own. It's treated a very trusted ID form in the US comparrable with our PPS#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭pyzon

cheers, got 4-6 weeks hotel accommodation before looking to rent so hopefully will get the # before the hotel runs out :)

Just as a matter of interest did you have to wait for 3 weeks or so before knowing your SSN or just to receive the physical card?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 zacchaeus

pyzon wrote: »
    cheers, got 4-6 weeks hotel accommodation before looking to rent so hopefully will get the # before the hotel runs out :)

Just as a matter of interest did you have to wait for 3 weeks or so before knowing your SSN or just to receive the physical card?

The thing with me was that I was issued with a J1 visa a good few years beforehand. Somehow the SSN was tied back to my passport which in turn applied the same number to my new H1B application. Somehow on arrival my sponser had my SSN# thus all I had to do was get this number and apply to relevant department for physical card.

Looking back it probably wouldn't have taken as much time only for the fact that I was acutally looking for a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

When I went on my first J1, it was around late June, we were told that there was a huge wait for the SSN. We arrived and within 1 week had our number and shortly after our cards came in the mail.

Just to note, they are VERY specific with your details. The lady wrote down my friend's name, Aisling, as Ashling and because of this, her whole application was denied and had to be started over.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

You'll have to wait for the card. They will not give the number out any other way.

SSNs are closely guarded since they can be the key to you identity. Keep your card in a safe place and be cautious about giving out the number. It's almost never mandatory - the only thing I can think of where I had to supply it was for a driver's license.

Regarding a bank account, just go in there in person and they'll let you open an account without an SSN. I know US Bank will at least, because I did it.

• Advertisement

firefly08 wrote: »
    You'll have to wait for the card. They will not give the number out any other way.

This is not the case in California. A week after applying for ours we went to the Social Security and they released our numbers to us when we showed our passports. A few weeks later our cards were mailed out to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

This is not the case in California. A week after applying for ours we went to the Social Security and they released our numbers to us when we showed our passports. A few weeks later our cards were mailed out to us.

Sorry my mistake then. For some reason I was sure they wouldn't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

i applied for a SSN on my visa application but it took forever, eventually i got tired of waiting (after 2 months) and went to apply at the local social security office for one which only took two weeks. I think you're better off waiting til you get here to apply for your SSN, the entry stamp in your passport suffices to apply for one as long as it's marked as a work eligible visa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭pyzon

Thanks for the tips, I arrive in US 14th Feb and begin work 28th so hopefully I'll have something by then...I hear you about keeping it guarded...

Be sure to let us know how long it takes and where you're located.

Good luck! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fintan.cheng

I'm going to NYC on Monday with a J1 Visa, i'm staying in a hostel for two weeks, but should I apply for the social security card after i found a flat or have them send it to the hostel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I'm not sure if the time to get the card is similar for new immigrants as for new US citizens but here is the timeline for my son's SSN application:

Jan 7th: born
    Jan 8th: hospital registrar takes all his details
    Jan 10th: registrar submits details to SS office
    Jan 14th: date on SS card
    Jan 22nd: card arrives in the mail

• Registered Users Posts: 21 silentmovies

I am going on a J1 this summer, Just wondering do you have to apply when you are in the states?, there is no way that you can apply for it when you are still in Ireland or if you have family in the states can they apply for it on your behalf?

No, you have to be there with your visa documents and id to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

I'd like to reiterate that your Social Security Number will become one of the primary sources of your identity in the US. Applying for loans, your credit info, bank accounts, tax info, etc. will all be tied to that number. I remember calling to get my PPS number over the phone; I don't think it will be easy for you to get that number over the phone in the US. You'll probably need to take a few eye scans, an x-ray, blood tests, and a signed letter from your granny before you got info about your Soc. :D

Advertisement