Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Split off from "Newbie - Target shooting advice needed" thread.

Options
  • 13-01-2011 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

ezridax wrote: »
    There is sporting rifle, benchrest, 3P, PR60 to mention a few. The .22 will be grand for them and as mentioned a good learning tool to get you used to rifle handling and usage.

However if you plan to stay with the rimfire there are numerous ranges in and around Dublin that would suffice. A partial list of ranges can be found here.

That link is a little bit out of date - some of those clubs - especially the ones near Dublin have moved or changed names now.

There are pages on the NASRPC website (some of which need some work and will be gradually updated) that will hook you up with clubs all over the country.

There are also pages on Sporting Rifle, Benchrest Rifle and Gallery Rifle.

If you have any questions you can pop em up here and we will try to help you or you can email sportingrifle@nasrpc.ie, benchrestrifle@nasrpc.ie or galleryrifle@nasrpc.ie which will hook you up with the National Discipline co-ordinators.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

That link is a little bit out of date - some of those clubs - especially the ones near Dublin have moved or changed names now.

I appreciate that and its the reason i said "partial", however i do not have a full list of clubs so for the time being that is the best i can offer. Perhaps when your comprehensive list of all clubs and ranges is done you could post it.
    There are pages on the NASRPC website (some of which need some work and will be gradually updated) that will hook you up with clubs all over the country.

There are also pages on Sporting Rifle, Benchrest Rifle and Gallery Rifle.

If you have any questions you can pop em up here and we will try to help you or you can email sportingrifle@nasrpc.ie, benchrestrifle@nasrpc.ie or galleryrifle@nasrpc.ie which will hook you up with the National Discipline co-ordinators.

I can see the relevance of your post if the OP asked about Gallery/Sporting rifle, Pistol, rimfire benchrest, and if he would like to do that then great. However he specifically states that his interest lies in long range fullbore target work, and to that end the NASRPC would not be able to accomodate him in this pursuit.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Funny you mention that. Was checking through your link of clubs and ranges. Came across the "City of Dublin Pistol Club" located not in Dublin, but in Tullamore, according to your map. When i clicked on it it shows it is located a few hundred yards from the Regional Hospital in the town centre. There is no club/range here.

The only other range you could be refering to is the MNSCI, but as NO NASRPC clubs or the NASRPC themselves are affiliated to the MNSCI i'm wondering where the club is?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭NASRPC: Nigel

The City of Dublin Pistol Club has been around for quite a while - up until quite recently.

They were obviously initially located in Dublin - their first range was on Parnell Square in the early sixties if memory serves.

In more recent years they did not have their own range so were associated with other ranges, most recently Hilltop Shooting Club in County Wicklow.

The reason I have a link on that map for them in the midlands is that many of their members are now members of MNSCI - and frequently attend NASRPC competitions while representing MNSCI - and I was led to believe that they did, in fact, plan to re-register the club to keep it's history alive - I __assumed__ that they planned to use the pistol ranges in MNSCI.
    The locator on the map was purely indicative.

That was the middle of last year and I have heard no more since so that may now be in error.

I will see if there has been any progress and update the map accordingly.

I realise that MNSCI is not affiliated to the NASRPC and has not been since the early noughties when it was the NASRC. They are, of course, welcome to affiliate if they wish to and their members are, as always, welcome at all NASRPC competitions.

The reason I have a link on that map for them in the midlands is that many of their members are now members of MNSCI - and frequently attend NASRPC competitions while representing MNSCI -

Your map represents affiliated clubs and ranges which the MNSCI is NOT. If any member of the City of Dublin Pistol Club shoot at NASRPC events and competitions they do so as individuals and not as an MNSCI affiliated club so your marker on the map is misleading and incorrect.
    ............and I was led to believe that they did, in fact, plan to re-register the club to keep it's history alive - I __assumed__ that they planned to use the pistol ranges in MNSCI.
    The locator on the map was purely indicative.

Again though you are taking assumptions without fact. The City of Dublin Pistol do not exist as a club within the MNSCI, nor do they represent the MNSCI in any Pistol competitions.
    That was the middle of last year and I have heard no more since so that may now be in error.

It is.
    I will see if there has been any progress and update the map accordingly.

That should have been checked before the last update of your map. It was never the case, but because you believed it to be you marked it as being so.
    I realise that MNSCI is not affiliated to the NASRPC and has not been since the early noughties when it was the NASRC.

So i'll ask again. Why do you have the (wrong) marker in for Tullamore leading people to believe they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

City of Dublin Pistol club enjoyed a revival in 2004, helped by two of it's founder members, one of which was the late Gerry Kelly. We did not have our own range or the funds to build one so we affiliated with NITSA first of all and members used to travel at least once a month to shoot there. We then affiliated with Hilltop Shooting club and remained there until 2007.

After a new committee was elected the club decided to affiliate with Midlands, as some of the members took an interest in CF rifle.

The club went into dormancy for a while, but the remaining members have voted last autumn to keep the club going. To that end, we are all members of other clubs and ranges and intend to get the club up and running in the main stream sometime in the not too distant future.

The map can be updated to reflect the current situation, I'm sure.

• Advertisement

Kryten wrote: »
    The club went into dormancy for a while, but the remaining members have voted last autumn to keep the club going. To that end, we are all members of other clubs and ranges and intend to get the club up and running in the main stream sometime in the not too distant future.

Good to hear. :cool:
    The map can be updated to reflect the current situation, I'm sure.

I hope so. As it stands it represents a non-existant range because as previously stated the MNSCI is not/will not be affiliated to the NASRPC.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement