Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dating In Waterford

• 14-01-2011 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Here goes, deep breath....

I am currently single and ready to mingle n Waterford. I was wondering where people meet people around here. I do go Harveys and those type of places, but find that the best looking women are a bit snobby and hard to talk to, and any women that do talk to me frankly aren't up to scratch.

Is there any other places where I could meet people? If any of ye met people in Waterford, where was it?

Serious answers only please as I'm a bit sensitive and this alone was a big step for me....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭holy guacamole

Online dating sites are the way forward mate, loads of free sites out there so get looking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭newportwex

Hmmm I don't know there's alot of weirdos out there...

have you tried it yourself? Any joy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

There's also a lot of weirdos in pubs and clubs.

I met my boyfriend online and we've been together a long time.

My sister met her now husband online. They've been together 5 years this year I think and married since last Summer.

My reason for going online was just out of curiosity after my sister met her boyfriend and I just happened to get lucky.

Yep I met my current girlfriend on a dating site, been going out with her for four months and she's a great girl.

The majority of people on dating sites are just like you in that they're tired of the pub/club scene and want the chance to talk to someone and get to know them without the aid of alcohol.

In my experience it's a far better way of meeting women than any class of a night out, you get the opportunity to actually build up some sort of rapport with the women before meeting them as opposed to scoring with someone in a drunken stupor and then trying to get to know them via text the next day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

newportwex wrote: »
    Hmmm I don't know there's alot of weirdos out there...

have you tried it yourself? Any joy?

There is a thread in the ladies lounge forum about dating sites from the womans view,I'd start there it's probably your best bet.And good luck i know how you feel buddy :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭newportwex

Yep I met my current girlfriend on a dating site, been going out with her for four months and she's a great girl.

The majority of people on dating sites are just like you in that they're tired of the pub/club scene and want the chance to talk to someone and get to know them without the aid of alcohol.

In my experience it's a far better way of meeting women than any class of a night out, you get the opportunity to actually build up some sort of rapport with the women before meeting them as opposed to scoring with someone in a drunken stupor and then trying to get to know them via text the next day!

Go way that's fantastic, where did you end up meeting up, how did it all happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

you'd have a better chance if you took off the balaclava

newportwex wrote: »
    Go way that's fantastic, where did you end up meeting up, how did it all happen?

Just got chatting to her on the site and found that she lived nearby (her in ferrybank, me in town) so after a week or so of messaging and texting each other we arranged to meet up in the park for our first date.

Pretty much hit it off straight away and found that we were both normal non weirdo psychopathic people despite meeting through a dating site.

Like I said earlier it's not just people that can't get a date elsewhere that are on dating sites, a lot of people are there because they're fed up of all the whole meat market mentality of night out in the pubs/clubs etc. You'll tend to get lots of professional people on there who don't have the time to spend a Saturday night trawling for potential dates and would prefer to chat online to someone, online dating sites are not full of dogs I promise ya.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 The Good Doctor

I met my first wife through a dating website and my second wife the old fashioned way -on a bus. while i got plenty of dates from the website approach - alot of these ladies where not how they portrayed themselves when you met them in real life including the one i married but lets not go there.

If you want to find a nice lookin girl the answer is public transport - trains, busses etc. you can get results from sharing taxi's home after a night out also. Its a fantastic way to meet someone who is attractive because if you sit in beside someone they have to talk to you for the duration of the journey and if you dont like them you can always move seat- it pretty perfect.

I often travelled the length of the country twice in one day using this method. I met my beautiful wife on an ulsterbus between belfast and newtownards on Valintines day in 2006. So my advice is get your travel pass in order young man and remember to take in all the scenery ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

You're actually some legend Doctor fair play to you haha.

Some load of peope have met their OH online I thought I was the only one, Im going out with my girlfriend 4 years now. I met her through myspace though :p

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Bloke near me met his wife through knock marriage service . Within 6 months of meeting he married her. Still married after 5 years , there both evenly matched mind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

when you say the women you meet "aren't up to scratch" what do you mean by that? Looks wise or personality wise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Vanman1

Surely all of this is a wind up? In one post he's looking to buy a balaclava, rope, goggles etc and in this one he's looking to find a date? Quite freaky if you ask me.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Trolling aside,

it's actually a decent idea for a thread. Like, friends set myself and mrs ziedth up and we're been together for going on 8 years since but if I was single in the morning I wouldn't know where to start.

I actually don't envy people anymore lookig for an OH because something I noticed in a pub/club setting (that really wasn't there I think a decade ago) was that a guy or girl(I've seen it happen to both) could go up to someone and not be leery or anything just be nice trying to chat them up like and the object of their effection goes out of their way to make a show of them.

It's a horrible thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,653 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

i would do anything not to be single at this moment in time. Waterford is such a hard place to find a partner. Masons would always be too packed, Harveys older age group and Escape would be younger age group.

So man if u get pissed off at not finding someone youre not alone. It can be very fustrating lol just drinks loads instead lol

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

i sense a boards singles night coming up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭wagtail99

I am told by a reliable source that Hillwalking is the way to go, plenty of firm calves & thighs, boots are also worn if you're so inclined, the balaclava may also be useful, but you'd need to advance to mountaineering to use the ropes.

Also Bookclubs but then you might have to read some terrible Chicklit or something to actively participate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

ziedth wrote: »
    Trolling aside,

it's actually a decent idea for a thread. Like, friends set myself and mrs ziedth up and we're been together for going on 8 years since but if I was single in the morning I wouldn't know where to start.

I actually don't envy people anymore lookig for an OH because something I noticed in a pub/club setting (that really wasn't there I think a decade ago) was that a guy or girl(I've seen it happen to both) could go up to someone and not be leery or anything just be nice trying to chat them up like and the object of their effection goes out of their way to make a show of them.

It's a horrible thing to do.

Thats Irish Women for you

I met my first wife through a dating website and my second wife the old fashioned way -on a bus. while i got plenty of dates from the website approach - alot of these ladies where not how they portrayed themselves when you met them in real life including the one i married but lets not go there.

If you want to find a nice lookin girl the answer is public transport - trains, busses etc. you can get results from sharing taxi's home after a night out also. Its a fantastic way to meet someone who is attractive because if you sit in beside someone they have to talk to you for the duration of the journey and if you dont like them you can always move seat- it pretty perfect.

I often travelled the length of the country twice in one day using this method. I met my beautiful wife on an ulsterbus between belfast and newtownards on Valintines day in 2006. So my advice is get your travel pass in order young man and remember to take in all the scenery ;)

Brilliant post :D ,what did the wife think when you told her you travelled the country on a bus to find her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 The Good Doctor

Brilliant post :D ,what did the wife think when you told her you travelled the country on a bus to find her?

Ah you see she doesn't know the full story to this day so keep stum ;) - I believe my cover story was that I was on my way home from breaking up with my scottish girlfriend Mackenzie and had just put her on the a plane in Belfast - In my haste to get home and not fully concentrating due to the events of the day I had mistakenly taken the bus to Newtownards - I then procceded to enlist her help to get me out of Newtownards and back on the road to Dublin.... long story short we are living happily ever after- It's funny actually she acts very jealous around Scottish women to this day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭Mysterious&Shy

I met my Fiance online, I'm from Cork myself and he is from Waterford! We met and hit it off instantly!

We are due to get married in 2012:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

have met my girlfriend also on an online dating site, we,re with eachother nearly three months now and getting on great, its a good way to get to know a person before ya meet em so its highly recommended, just as long as your honest and not a freak you,ll be guaranteed to get a date

have met my girlfriend also on an online dating site, we,re with eachother nearly three months now and getting on great, its a good way to get to know a person before ya meet em so its highly recommended, just as long as your honest and not a freak you,ll be guaranteed to get a date

Fairplay to you boy,i didn't think the online dating scene in Waterford was that big well maybe not big,but i have have tried POF and it seems to be not many from Waterford on it,and although i might come across as a freak on here but i am actually a nice normal fella ,but it is hard to transcend your real life persona into an online profile with sounding like a dope,if that makes any sense :confused:

Fairplay to you boy,i didn't think the online dating scene in Waterford was that big well maybe not big,but i have have tried POF and it seems to be not many from Waterford on it,and although i might come across as a freak on here but i am actually a nice normal fella ,but it is hard to transcend your real life persona into an online profile with sounding like a dope,if that makes any sense :confused:

That's where I met my Fiance on!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Ah well i might as well ask as im sure everyone is probably dying to know at this stage so here it is...what are the names of these magical websites?

Definately agree with you 100%! Glad that it is going so well for you! And it is a great way to get to know someone!

We got engaged 12 months after meeting! And are only together 2 years on the 22nd of next month!

jayboi wrote: »
    Ah well i might as well ask as im sure everyone is probably dying to know at this stage so here it is...what are the names of these magical websites?

Plentyoffish would be the most popular one

Plentyoffish would be the most popular one

I recommend highly!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Definately agree with you 100%! Glad that it is going so well for you! And it is a great way to get to know someone!

We got engaged 12 months after meeting! And are only together 2 years on the 22nd of next month!

Ah I wouldn't worry about things like that, we moved in together after 11 months. Granted we were 7 years together (to the day) when we got married.

• Advertisement

ziedth wrote: »
    Ah I wouldn't worry about things like that, we moved in together after 11 months. Granted we were 7 years together (to the day) when we got married.

We moved in together after 4 months!:p

Advertisement