Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Result delay?

Options
  • 14-01-2011 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

I was wondering what people thought of the delay in the release of the exam results. I understand that some of the exams had to be postponed but surely people deserve to get their results on time if their exam was run on time. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Also

Do you mean results being postponed from 17th to 19th?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

They have been postponed until February 4. Doesn't bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Doesn't bother me either.

My results are what they are, no matter when I get them. They wont affect any decisions for Semester 2, and I'll be working my socks off no matter what I get. I've never been one to worry about my results so I don't particularly care when I get them.

I can understand how it would annoy others, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Doesn't really bother me. But they should release the exam results they have on the 17th. I wouldn't mind if my one exam was withheld. Either way it will give you a good idea of your standing going into the year. February is a little bit late to realise you failed a module(s) from an academic / financial point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭RayCarley

ironclaw wrote: »
    Doesn't really bother me. But they should release the exam results they have on the 17th. I wouldn't mind if my one exam was withheld. Either way it will give you a good idea of your standing going into the year. February is a little bit late to realise you failed a module(s) from an academic / financial point of view.

That's a good point. I'm sure if people are worried, or if they just want to know, they could very easily email their lecturer asking for results. Most lecturers are very willing to help you out if you just ask.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Another problem I see with releasing the result so late is that module registration is re-opening shortly after. Obviously this is necessary for people to register for repeats/re-sits, but I assume they won't be allowing people to change their module choices 4 weeks into the semester?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Doesn't the credit statement usually have how many credits you've earned a little while before the results come out, so you can tell if you've failed or not.

I'm pretty pissed off about it to be honest, if they have the results they should be released, it would also reduce the crowding on the server on the day they're released

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Doesn't the credit statement usually have how many credits you've earned a little while before the results come out, so you can tell if you've failed or not.

That doesn't work anymore, it was only a matter of a few hours before the actual results anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

It doesn't effect me from a getting into next year point of view, but its slightly irritating, I've been gearing up for getting them Monday :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Also

Are you serious? This DOES bother me. None of my exams were postponed, and two of them that were MCQs which were available within two weeks after the midterm. I was kind of depending on getting them as how well or not I do on them was going to play a part in a decision as to the course I'm in and whether to stick with it...greeeeeat. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

Pisses me off alot, want to base some of my 2nd semester choices based on how Semester 1 modules were marked but now I cant

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭brokenhinge

It really pisses me off for three reasons
    1. I'm repeating a semester until I pass one module, so I have to wait until February 4th to find out if I'm into the next year, but to get a proper place in the classes? The programme office are being some help, but won't be able to register till then.
    2. I should be able to get a grant when I pass it, so I'm waiting another three weeks..
    3. One of my electives is a step up from last semesters, so I was waiting to see how the exam went in that to decide.. I'll probably drop it, just in case-potential risks outweigh advantages.

Why don't they just release the postponed exams' results later? Why do they have to do it all in one?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

I'm really annoyed by it as I think there is a high possibility that I may have failed one of my maths modules and now I have to wait until one week before the midterm exam to find out.

At that stage I'll already have missed about 3 tutorials which I would have needed the marks from. I mean what are we supposed to do if this is the case? I only just thought about the midterm a few minutes ago. Am I supposed to study for that because there's a chance I may have to sit it and without any assistance from the lecturer or tutors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭CrazyBiscuit

The delay doesnt really affect me but I can see how it will cause a lot of worry to some people.
    I know UCD wants all the results to be released at the same time but for those that had the luck to finish all their exmas before Christmas its just frustrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

If you really need to know the result of a module, try emailing the lecturer. They'll almost certainly have corrected it by now, and they might be able to tell you unofficially.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Raphael wrote: »
    If you really need to know the result of a module, try emailing the lecturer. They'll almost certainly have corrected it by now, and they might be able to tell you unofficially.

They won't give the actual result, its against college rules.

They will just say if you done good bad or average, that is if they say anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

Alright guys what's the actual story with results does anyone know for certain? I was under the impression that all the results came out the fourth but today our reps announced any unaffected results would be out tomorrow the nineteenth.... Anyone any idea where that's coming from?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

The economics class rep today said that all the results, for all students, would be out on Feb 4th. I imagine that Jan 19th is no longer the date of release - probably misinformation, or confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

I love our reps, really, they're lovely people, but sometimes they drive me up the wall! They have the whole of science in chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

The economics class rep today said that all the results, for all students, would be out on Feb 4th. I imagine that Jan 19th is no longer the date of release - probably misinformation, or confusion.

I'd say its confusion and hearsay. In times like these, I call on the Assessment Team

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/assessment/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭MacieC

Well, wouldn't be easier to just check your SISweb account and the registration process account (last year, the results got displayed by mistake, one day before the due date), instead of stressing out ?

Who cares if they come out tomorrow or in two weeks time ? Just check your UCD account, that's as simple as this. I understand it's kinda nerve-racking to have our results delayed, but keepig on asking when the results are out when the only answer is to is to log into your SIS account (...) and by chance, you might get them who knows.

Good luck to you guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭wonderworm

just checked the assessment website and it says

# UPDATE: Semester 1 Results 2010/11 will be available on SIS Web as follows: Provisional results (incl provisional Semester and Stage GPA) no later than 5.00pm Friday, 4 February 2011.
    # Final results (incl Semester, Stage and Degree GPA) no later than 5.00pm Thursday, 24 February 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

MacieC wrote: »
    Who cares if they come out tomorrow or in two weeks time ? Just check your UCD account, that's as simple as this. .

Well, actually some of us do have legitimate reasons for wanting earlier results.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

dyl10 wrote: »
    Well, actually some of us do have legitimate reasons for wanting earlier results.

Indeed. It's hugely inconvenient for me having to wait more than 2 weeks for them now, for academic AND financial reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Victoria. wrote: »
    I'm really annoyed by it as I think there is a high possibility that I may have failed one of my maths modules and now I have to wait until one week before the midterm exam to find out.

At that stage I'll already have missed about 3 tutorials which I would have needed the marks from. I mean what are we supposed to do if this is the case? I only just thought about the midterm a few minutes ago. Am I supposed to study for that because there's a chance I may have to sit it and without any assistance from the lecturer or tutors?

If you were to repeat, you'd most likely have to resit an exam in May, not re-do the entire module.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

If you check your credit statement it'll tell you how many you've earned.

I know I've failed one, unfortunately i have to wait a fortnight before I know which one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

misslt wrote: »

I know I've failed one, unfortunately i have to wait a fortnight before I know which one.

Oh dear. Maybe that isn't final....? If it is I've failed two! While I didn't think I aced them, I didn't really think I did that badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

misslt wrote: »

Hasn't changed for me yet, unless I've failed everything that is :):o

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

How can you tell if you failed by looking at the credit statement?

When I look at mine, I get a list of all the modules that I do - each says 5 credits after it.

At the bottom of the window it says
    Total Credits by Level
    Level 0. Earned: 0. Registered: 0
    Level 1. Earned: 20. Registered: 0

What does this mean? I did 35 credits in Semester One (7 modules @ 5 credits each, 5 of which were examined before Christmas). So does this mean I've failed one as it's not 25?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Level Earned Registered
    0 0 0
    1 65 0
    2 55 0
    3 15 0

There's no way I failed 3 modules.

Advertisement