Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Insurance

• 14-01-2011 1:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Hi, I know this question is asked a lot but I have been looking around and getting huge quotes. The OH wants to buy a car. He is looking a 2000 Honda Civic (100000miles!) 1.4 as he can get a good deal. The online quotes I'm getting are around 2300euro at best.
    He is 26, male on a provisional and no named driver experience. I know that it's bound to be high but my own first insurance aged 24 with no experience was 800euro!!!!
    I kind of figured since he was 26 it would be lower than most yound male learners. Does this amount sound right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

Sala wrote: »
    Hi, I know this question is asked a lot but I have been looking around and getting huge quotes. The OH wants to buy a car. He is looking a 2000 Honda Civic (100000miles!) 1.4 as he can get a good deal. The online quotes I'm getting are around 2300euro at best.
    He is 26, male on a provisional and no named driver experience. I know that it's bound to be high but my own first insurance aged 24 with no experience was 800euro!!!!
    I kind of figured since he was 26 it would be lower than most yound male learners. Does this amount sound right?

Sounds right to me. I'd say the bracket 'young male learners' probably extends to 28 or even 30 these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Does this amount sound right?

Male + Provisional + no driving exp + Civic = Expensive!!!

Their are probably some insurance companies that wont even quote for that combo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

I told him already I heard a Civic is a bad car for a male driver to get insured on. Would it be much better with a 1ltr little car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Although the Civic has a relatively small engine I'd imagine it's name precedes it and the fact he's on his first provisional won't help.

Get a quote on something like this, It'll be more manageable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Can never understand why someone would buy a car they're not allowed to drive on their own

• Advertisement

Schism wrote: »
    Although the Civic has a relatively small engine I'd imagine it's name precedes it and the fact he's on his first provisional won't help.

Get a quote on something like this, It'll be more manageable.

Thanks, did a quote there - quinn quoted 1800 on this, 2700 on the Civic :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I know that it's bound to be high but my own first insurance aged 24 with no experience was 800euro!!!!

It's ridiculously stupid tbh - I checked at one stage, to insure my GF, who at the time was on a learners permit, had 0 experience or NCB, was coming in a few hundred cheaper than I was paying with a full license and 2 years NCB...

unfortunately, 2300 sounds about right...

Going back through the quote it was actually more like 2600- I thought I got one at 2300 but I can't find it.
    think we better go look at a few 1ltr as above

It's ridiculously stupid tbh - I checked at one stage, to insure my GF, who at the time was on a learners permit, had 0 experience or NCB, was coming in a few hundred cheaper than I was paying with a full license and 2 years NCB...

unfortunately, 2300 sounds about right...

Yeah it is ridiculous- I understand the higher premiums but the difference is huge. My friend similarly with a full licence, 2 years NCB added his girlfriend on a permit with no exp and his own policy was lowered by 300+euro.

Advertisement