Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

been disqualified from driving??

• 14-01-2011 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi all.. Any help in this matter will be greatly appreciated..

I have recently been to court for driving with no insurance, tax or nct..
    I only bought the car that day and was driving it home and was stopped by the police.. they took the car off me and pounded it and i never got it back because i had no money so i take it it was crushed..

Anyways i recieved a 800 euro fine and i have been disqualified for a year which i think is a bit much as i have never been in trouble before and im only on social welfare..Should i appeal the decision ??

A friend of mine was up in court the week before, same charge-no tax,no nct, no insurance only she hadnt even got a license, i had.. she walked away with no ban and a fine for 400 and she is working full time..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Shouldn't have been driving it at all, especially without insurance, and imo €800 fine is being let off way too easy.

Also, if you're only on social welfare, then why were you spending money on a car you seemingly couldn't afford, or afford to insure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

How is it a bit much.

You broke every law there is. Except having a license i suppose

Being on social doesn't make you exempt from the law

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If anything thing the Judge would go even harder on you for being on social welfare, if you had no money to get it out of the impound you had no money to tax, service and insure the car.
    I'd take this one on the chin and learn from it. You go off pretty lightly.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Up to you if you appeal. You might do better, or might do worse.

Regarding what you did - it wasn't too clever really was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Hi all.. Any help in this matter will be greatly appreciated..

I have recently been to court for driving with no insurance, tax or nct..
    I only bought the car that day and was driving it home and was stopped by the police.. they took the car off me and pounded it and i never got it back because i had no money so i take it it was crushed..

Anyways i recieved a 800 euro fine and i have been disqualified for a year which i think is a bit much as i have never been in trouble before and im only on social welfare..Should i appeal the decision ??

A friend of mine was up in court the week before, same charge-no tax,no nct, no insurance only she hadnt even got a license, i had.. she walked away with no ban and a fine for 400 and she is working full time..

Trolling on an epic scale!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Should i appeal the decision ??

A solicitor would be the best (probably only) person to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Funkfield wrote: »
    Trolling on an epic scale!

I'll get my shotgun!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

No tax or NCT I can understand, I'd risk driving without those too. But no insurance? That's just silly and there's no excuse for it really.

By all means appeal, but you did get off lightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭lau1247

was the car extremely well priced and that you just can't miss the chance of buying it??

I have to agree with the other poster, being on SW a car should not be the priority especially when you can't afford to tax it or insure it.

Definitely got off lightly..

As for your friend, that's even worst.. driving without licence.. these people should be lock away never mind the fine..

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

theres your reason right there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

theres your reason right there

Based on the ops avatar - I thought the op was a female also...

@op - did you not show the judge proof that you had only purchased the same day and were driving it home? I would have thought that would have mitigated your transgression somewhat.

Methinks though that you are telling porkies about having bought it that day ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭mixer101

Personally, I think you should be off the road for 5 years, not only 1. :mad:

What if you had crashed into someone that day(s) you were driving it? Would you have been prepared to pay €500, €5,000, €15,000 out of your own pocket for damage / replacement of their vehicle? Would you have been able to pay? At all? Anything?

The simple fact is, you shouldn't have been out on the road in that car, you had no right, no insurance, no tax, no nct. And quite obviously, no qualms about it either. :(
    You (and your friend..) are one of the reasons why the rest of us (social welfare or not) have to pay through the nose for sky-high car insurance every year.

We all have to pay for and maintain vehicle insurance, NCT, licence and motor tax if we want to drive in this country.
    You (and your friend..) are no different.

BTW, you were let off too lightly with fine also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

As usual a litany of posts from the very brave (hiding behind keyboards) who seem only to want to act as the judge all over again. They will all no doubt be up for Beatification immediately upon death.

To answer the OP's original question I think they were a hard done by. For a first offence to be banned and fined so heavily does seem a little heavy when compared to others in the same situation. Whether the OP is male, female, on social or CEO or a large company the law should apply to her THE SAME as others. Yes the law was broken and they were in front of the judge and received a sentence. They are legally entitled to challenge the severity of that sentence if it seems excessive. A previous poster is correct though, you should contact a solicitor for the best advice.

Well, as ususal, someone has blatently broke several laws and is not happy about getting caught

Yeah, I feel bad for them :rolleyes:

Based on the ops avatar - I thought the op was a female also...

@op - did you not show the judge proof that you had only purchased the same day and were driving it home? I would have thought that would have mitigated your transgression somewhat.

Methinks though that you are telling porkies about having bought it that day ....

It still doesn't matter - you shouldn't be driving a car without tax/nct/insurance, if you bought it that day or not. There's no excuse for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Jebus lads, take the op at face value will you?

He made a mistake, he knows it, and that's that. In fairness, he was driving the car back from just having bought it. I've done that myself before, and probably will again.

He's not a serial offender, just made a minor error is all. I think he was hard done by. I've heard of people driving while uninsured, untaxed and BANNED getting lighter fines than that.

In fairness OP I'd say you just caught the judge on a bad day

What's the view like from up their on the moral high ground lads?
    Judge not and all that.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

If you had no money to get the car back from police, where were you going to find the money for nct/tax/insurance? Deserve all you got and more mate.;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

800e fine, ffs thats a slap on the wrist should have been 2,000e and two year ban atleast
    JCDUB wrote: »
    He made a mistake,

A mistake is spilling a cup of coffee on your carpet,
    to not tax, insure or nct your car is knowingly doing something illegal, there's a massive difference

Even 10 year olds's know you need insurance to drive

imho he chanced his arm got caught and now wants to cry about it instead of maning up and admitting he was a idiot,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Cabaal wrote: »
    imho he chanced his arm got caught

Come off it, I haven't been through a check point in ages, at least a year/30,000 km, and the OP was stopped on their first trip ever? Pull the other one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sorry to hear that they took your car OP but thb you were gambling and lost.
    Good thing you didn't hit anyone.

• Advertisement

Come off it, I haven't been through a check point in ages, at least a year/30,000 km, and the OP was stopped on their first trip ever? Pull the other one.
    Why are peoples attitudes like this?

It's illegal, simple as. Just because you don't get stopped, doesn't mean you can do it.

Just wait until Ireland gets ANPR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Tallon wrote: »
    Why are peoples attitudes like this?

My attitudes like this because the OP's story is unbelievable.

So I don't see why anyone here believes it.

My attitudes like this because the OP's story is unbelievable.

So I don't see why anyone here believes it.
    How is it unbelievable?

So because you havn't been through a checkpoint in ages, there are no checkpoints on the roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 maplebanks

It still doesn't matter - you shouldn't be driving a car without tax/nct/insurance, if you bought it that day or not. There's no excuse for it.
    i live in a rural area and i know a good few farmers who bring their tractors on the road without tax or insurance, im not condoneing it ,just wondering how they get away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭dnme

OP

Here's the deal. I'm driving home, minding my own business. All of a sudden you run into me on your way home with your newly bought uninsured car.

Where the fcuk does that leave me? What if I have medical costs? we are now talking court. What if you kill me? we are now talking jail.

Get the hell off our roads!

if he killed you, it would probably mean jail, even if he had tax, NCT and insurance :confused:

Tallon wrote: »
    if he killed you, it would probably mean jail, even if he had tax, NCT and insurance :confused:

Think you may have missed the point there by quite a ways :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

dnme wrote: »
    OP

Here's the deal. I'm driving home, minding my own business. All of a sudden you run into me on your way home with your newly bought uninsured car.

Where the fcuk does that leave me? What if I have medical costs? we are now talking court. What if you kill me? we are now talking jail.

Get the hell off our roads!

there's a fund that covers non insured drivers, chill out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Satanta wrote: »
    As usual a litany of posts from the very brave (hiding behind keyboards) who seem only to want to act as the judge all over again. They will all no doubt be up for Beatification immediately upon death.

To answer the OP's original question I think they were a hard done by. For a first offence to be banned and fined so heavily does seem a little heavy when compared to others in the same situation. Whether the OP is male, female, on social or CEO or a large company the law should apply to her THE SAME as others. Yes the law was broken and they were in front of the judge and received a sentence. They are legally entitled to challenge the severity of that sentence if it seems excessive. A previous poster is correct though, you should contact a solicitor for the best advice.

And use more taxpayers money on legal aid?
    No tax, insurance, nct. Deserve all they get. Didn't give a toss about the vehicle's roadworthiness, or to whichever unfortunate soul they came across.

• Advertisement

The Dagda wrote: »

I hate uninsured drivers, I wont chill out matey kins. These tossers make me very very angry. Dont tell me to chill out on this one, just dont!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Any idea who pays for that? ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Not the OP anyway :pac:

I hate uninsured drivers, I wont chill out matey kins. These tossers make me very very angry. Dont tell me to chill out on this one, just dont!!!

:rolleyes:

we all do, that's kinda my point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

The OP doesn't

• Advertisement

Ah, great idea then. Nobody buy insurance this year round, and lets have a shítload of accidents too. Sure, if we're paying for it anyway and it's not being used! :rolleyes:

Ah, great idea then. Nobody buy insurance this year round, and lets have a shítload of accidents too. Sure, if we're paying for it anyway and it's not being used! :rolleyes:

Yeah that's exactly what I mean, thank god you were here to add some balance and context to the debate! :rolleyes:

This.

ahhh the idiots are out I see.

The morons who defend the indefensible. The tossers who keep this practice alive by sympathizing.

"Ah sure it was only her first offense. ah sure it'll be grand."

We gotta stamp this out, as a community, we have got to be angry and make that anger known. We have to keep the pressure on in order for this to become socially unacceptable.

Uninsured drivers are
    Lazy
    Inconsiderate
    Criminal
    Mean
    Dangerous
    Disgusting
    Filthy
    Costly
    Parasitic
    Bastards

If you're uninsured, don't f'ing drive. BTW, I'm happy to get out from behind my keyboard on this one......if anyone wants to meet me!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

OP, I have always broken my balls to pay for my car, run it correctly, NCT it and tax it and to make sure it is always done on time. It pisses me off that you think you just need to buy it and drive it without doing anything else.

What on earth were you thinking buying it and not being able to insure it?

The tax/NCT doesn't worry me as much if you did just buy it but driving without insurance is a big NO NO.

I would take the slap on the wrist and move on. The judge was correct, in fact he went easy on you IMHO.

As for those who reckon it was bad luck getting stopped. FFS cop on, a check point would be the least of my worries. An accident would be far worse to be involved it. The Gardaí stopped you just in time and fair play to them for doing their job.

The comments on tractors in rural areas, I know people who have been stopped and prosecuted by the Gardaí for this so they do enforce it.

@Dragda........what are you talking about adding balance to this arguement? What balance can be added to someone breaking the law, admitting this but having a problem with the sentence. Thats play ground stuff there complaining that the teacher gave out to me more than him. FFS

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

logic fail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Jeez I thought the motors forum was a place for grown ups. Aren't you a little young to be here sonny? Off ya go back to after hours, or night crawlers or wherever you came from. Oh I think your mother is calling you in for your dinner......sorry that should be "yo dinna" hah there laddie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

The tossers who keep this practice alive by sympathizing.

BTW, I'm happy to get out from behind my keyboard on this one......if anyone wants to meet me!!!

Tosser? I am more than happy to pm my address big man. Seen this sh!t before. If this conversation was being had down the pub there wouldnt be as many people hurling abuse at the OP.

BTW I wasnt sympathizing, simply being objective. The sentance the OP recieved was harsh when compaired to others in the same situation faces with the same charges. I believe that was the original question.
    johnos1984 wrote: »
    What balance can be added to someone breaking the law, admitting this but having a problem with the sentence. Thats play ground stuff there complaining that the teacher gave out to me more than him. FFS

Well within their rights to examine the sentance handed down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Indeed they are but some people just love to challenge authority even if they are guilty. Other love to add fuel to the flames and encourage them like yourself

OP seek legal advice or accept your sentence and don't listen to anyone here.

Tosser? I am more than happy to pm my address big man. Seen this sh!t before. If this conversation was being had down the pub there wouldnt be as many people hurling abuse at the OP.

BTW I wasnt sympathizing, simply being objective. The sentance the OP recieved was harsh when compaired to others in the same situation faces with the same charges. I believe that was the original question.

So you took my previous statement as a wish to have a fight eh? my aren't you a clever intelligent fella. There ya go, look at all that knowledge and information ....wafting about, circling, circling...oh oh no... ohhhhh there it floats right over his head.

Go back to your housing estate and put your tracksuit bottoms, yea the lovely dark blue ones with the fetching white stripes.

ahhh the idiots are out I see.

The morons who defend the indefensible. The tossers who keep this practice alive by sympathizing.

"Ah sure it was only her first offense. ah sure it'll be grand."

We gotta stamp this out, as a community, we have got to be angry and make that anger known. We have to keep the pressure on in order for this to become socially unacceptable.

Uninsured drivers are
    Lazy
    Inconsiderate
    Criminal
    Mean
    Dangerous
    Disgusting
    Filthy
    Costly
    Parasitic
    Bastards

If you're uninsured, don't f'ing drive. BTW, I'm happy to get out from behind my keyboard on this one......if anyone wants to meet me!!!

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I was going to comment on much of a class act the OP was from a quick search of other posts.........but i wont.

So you took my previous statement as a wish to have a fight eh? my aren't you a clever intelligent fella. There ya go, look at all that knowledge and information ....wafting about, circling, circling...oh oh no... ohhhhh there it floats right over his head.

Go back to your housing estate and put your tracksuit bottoms, yea the lovely dark blue ones with the fetching white stripes.

You were implying you were an adult able for mature debate just a few minutes ago, grow up!

You were implying you were an adult able for mature debate just a few minutes ago, grow up!

You grow up!
    (adults, please enjoy the irony)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement