Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused!! H Dip and Masters...

Options
  • 14-01-2011 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hey, I'm just considering whether to apply for a H Dip or a Masters...
    I got a 2.1 in English and History, though I'm not 100% sure whether I want to teach in a secondary school for the rest of my life the idea of lecturing does appeal to me.

I was concerned about the cost of both the Dip and Masters degree. At the minute I'm making my way through college on a full grant and low paying part time job. Do you receive the same grants for a postgrad?? If not, how are students expected to pay for it?

Also, if I was to do a H Dip would it make sense to do the Masters after it rather than before, if possible?

x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭dno7239

Hey,
    My advice would be to do the masters first. The reason I say this, is because it is very very competitive for the hdip (dont get me wrong you did fantastic in your undergrad its just so competitive), and with a masters, you receive more points for your application.

I was in your position and I went and did my masters in English, and now im waiting for the results of the hdip application, as I didnt get it on my undergrad results (2.1).

Going by last years results, the masters gains you 6 extra points for consideration, with my 2.1 undergrad I was 6 points over the basic criteria to be considered for a place (so going with that I have my fingers crossed I get in).

However, I heard from someone that if you get a grant it will only cover you if you are going from one level to a higher level (as opposed to the masters down to hdip because the hdip is a diploma not a Masters).

I guess just do your homework, and apply for both and take whatever you get. Best of luck anyway :)

Advertisement