Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are UPC Screwing us ?

• 14-01-2011 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I just contacted UPS. I am in D6.

It took me 20 minutes to get through which for starters is very dissatisfying.

As I have gone direct debit they dont send out bills etc. So I wanted to check out my account.

I am paying 42 Euro for a 20M connection. They charge 7.74 for not using their TV service which I dont require. Total 49 Euros for a no way 20M service.

After question after question (UPS did not volunteer the information....) I found out that the 30M service is available at same price.

If I get a Broadband phone for 6 euros they cancel the 7 Euro charge but this is not available in my area.

I would presume I am entitled to monies back but who knows in this mickey mouse service. 20M on their websites is 32 Euros and not 42 ?

It seems to me I'm Getting screwed...Any thoughts would be welcome. Is Eircom or BT as bad ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yeah, move to Eircom, that's the smart move alright... you'll save a fortune!! :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Short answer is no, think of UPC's charge as line rental if your not happy with it your welcome to pay Eircom/Vodafone etc 26e instead for line rental.

As for their website, well if you look at http://www.upc.ie/broadband/
    It clearly says:
    Price shown is when added to an existing TV connection. Otherwise a Fibre Power Broadband Standalone Charge of €7.75 a month applies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

First off, Its UPC, Not ups, Second even if you got the phone it wouldn't cancel the 7 euro charger, That is if you don't have tv.

Also they are cheaper then any other ISP in Ireland, So the more you complain about them the more you will complain about any other ISP in ireland

Its true the 30mb is the same price, So why not upgrade, If you have had a problem with the speed of your line its best you ring them and tell them about it, They cannot fix a problem they know nothing about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

kmobeire wrote: »
    As I have gone direct debit they dont send out bills etc. So I wanted to check out my account.
    Register online so you don't have to ring them.

https://service.upc.ie/cckservices/myupc/
    I am paying 42 Euro for a 20M connection.
    UPC have upgraded their services this week. If you were on a 20Mb service @ €42/month, you are most likely now on a 30Mb service for the same price (though you'll need to restart your modem/router).
    They charge 7.74 for not using their TV service which I dont require.
    Very standard. With any other provider, you'd have to pay line rental.
    After question after question (UPS did not volunteer the information....) I found out that the 30M service is available at same price.
    As above, you're probably now on the 30Mb service. If you don't think you need 30Mb then you can downgrade to 20Mb for €34.
    If I get a Broadband phone for 6 euros they cancel the 7 Euro charge but this is not available in my area.
    That seems odd, because if you can get Broadband, you can get phone. It's standard VoIP stuff from what I know. Use the availability checker here and ignore what the phone person told you:
    http://www.upc.ie/phone/phone_service/
    I would presume I am entitled to monies back but who knows in this mickey mouse service. 20M on their websites is 32 Euros and not 42 ?
    I doubt it. As above, you're probably now on the 30Mb service @ €42/month. You can downgrade to the cheaper service, but you're not being overcharged for your existing service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

seamus wrote: »
    That seems odd, because if you can get Broadband, you can get phone. It's standard VoIP stuff from what I know. Use the availability checker here and ignore what the phone person told you:
    I am in the same boat where I want a phone but they cannot offer it even though I have 20mb broadband and the phone would be effectively free because of the standalone charge I have to pay at the moment. I dont blame UPC since if it is not available it is not available - it just sucks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kmobeire

Folks,

Just want to say thanks to ye guys for the feedback. In the space of 20 mins I got some great answers.

It just shows the incredible power of the internet.

SO much better than the 20 mins waiting for customer service of UPC and 10 mins of frustration conversation basically getting no real information of use.

Regs Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

seamus wrote: »

Strange indeed, but UPC only make the phone service available in certain areas, and are denying it to a lot of broadband customers (even though there's no technical reason for it). Why is anyone's guess, but it doesn't make sense to me.

If you were on 20Mbps, then you should have gotten a letter to say you are now on 25Mbps (why 25 and not 30, again I don't know), and you need to restart the modem to apply the change. If you want 30Mbps, you need to request it, but this will lock you into a new 12 month contract (which is why I haven't bothered). 25Mbps is plenty anyway, and I always get around 10-15Mbps, even at peak times.

If you could get the phone service, for €6, I believe they will still charge the €7.75 anyway. They only waive that if you have a digital TV service with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

jor el wrote: »
    Strange indeed, but UPC only make the phone service available in certain areas, and are denying it to a lot of broadband customers (even though there's no technical reason for it). Why is anyone's guess, but it doesn't make sense to me.

If you were on 20Mbps, then you should have gotten a letter to say you are now on 25Mbps (why 25 and not 30, again I don't know), and you need to restart the modem to apply the change. If you want 30Mbps, you need to request it, but this will lock you into a new 12 month contract (which is why I haven't bothered). 25Mbps is plenty anyway, and I always get around 10-15Mbps, even at peak times.

If you could get the phone service, for €6, I believe they will still charge the €7.75 anyway. They only waive that if you have a digital TV service with them.
    i just wanted to point out its not only with digital tv as we only have analogue tv with upc and we dont pay the 7.75euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Thor wrote: »
    First off, Its UPC, Not ups
    easy mistake to make, they're both delivering packets. :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

vibe666 wrote: »
    easy mistake to make, they're both delivering packets. :pac:

But do UPS offer an "unlimited" service?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

dub45 wrote: »
    But do UPS offer an "unlimited" service?

Please do not drag yet another thread off topic any further posts like this will be deleted

Advertisement