Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charity Week on week 6?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Mossin wrote: »
    How about you wait and discover if Charity Week is a failure before you doom it before it has even begun...

Well said.
    freyners wrote: »

thats a cop-out if i ever saw one, doesnt take a genius to work out that the further you go away from winter, the less likelihood of rain/floods, especially when april (which starts two days after week nine) is the dryest month in ireland

So, still March then? The weather doesn't make the week, the activities do. Twas wet for the boat race last year, still brilliant craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Ah, so they're still trying to serenade this as 'Charity Week' huh? The more things change the more they stay the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

CiaranMT wrote:
    So, still March then? The weather doesn't make the week, the activities do. Twas wet for the boat race last year, still brilliant craic!
    in fairness, theres usually a big difference between early march and late march...and alot of activities would be weather dependant too

btw im not trying to make out i have a crystal ball saying what weather it will be, it might be sunny in week 6 and it might rain week 9, and visa versa, but generally its well accepted that the weather is generally better around april and the closer you have it to that the greater likelihood of better weather.

btw i really hope im wrong as i want to have the craic charity week regardless,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Sorry, i'm just going by places like my facebook news feed which is full of status' such as...."what tool has decided to schedule Rag week for week 6?"

Also there are a large portion of 4th year student's who simply wont be able to "wait and discover" whether Rag week is a failure, as they will be finishing off FYP's that week and wont be able to experience Rag week at all. Thats not to mention the students that will invariably be disrupted by the mid-terms that tend to crop up around that time.

But anyway, you can see the reaction for yourself when we get back Monday and the news is made known to the masses.

It's irrelevant whether this Rag week is successful or not. A reason deserves to be given as to why it has been changed from its regular slot in late march, where btw it has always been successful.

Week 9 is election week. It has to be constitutionally.
    Week 8 has Paddy's day in the middle
    Week 7 will see most Irish bands go touring the world for Paddy's day
    Week 10 is too late as it's close to exam time
    The other option was Easter holidays, but that was decided against as the BICS awards are that week and it's a massive opportunity to catch up administratively
    Week 5 was too early to get acts to play outdoors.

FYPs are due from weeks 1 to week 10, so that is not taken into consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Ok, i'll start by saying that Rag week took place in week 10 in 2008 and by all accounts was a raging success. There is also a late week off after Easter this year, so there is absolutely no reason why it couldn't have been scheduled for week 10. In fact, this is actually the perfect week when you take into account weather.

Week 8 out obviously. I'll be interested to check whether the bands booked were actually taken up during week 7, but anyway thats early March so no problem with that not being chosen either.

Do the elections have to be in week 9? What week were they last year seeing as Charity week was week 9 last year? Could they not have been scheduled for week 10?

It's a sad but true fact that many students (i'm willing to say majority), couldn't give a toss about SU elections. In fact, many students only care about one aspect of the SU, organising a good RAG week. This is the week that's most important to a majority of students, it should take precedence over everything else and let other events work around it.

I find it funny to see how passionate some people have gotten in other threads regarding some officers political bias, and whether a candidates personal opinions should be made known to voters. In actual fact, a large portion of the student body couldn't care less whether somebody is involved with FF or not. A wet RAG week though in the middle of midterms will be remembered. Sad but true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

Ok, i'll start by saying that Rag week took place in week 10 in 2008 and by all accounts was a raging success. There is also a late week off after Easter this year, so there is absolutely no reason why it couldn't have been scheduled for week 10. In fact, this is actually the perfect week when you take into account weather.

Actually in 2008 RAG Week took place in Week 7 having checked over my e-mails from back then.

Do the elections have to be in week 9? What week were they last year seeing as Charity week was week 9 last year? Could they not have been scheduled for week 10?

As Derek said, as per the SU Constitution the elections must take place in Week 9. Unless you want them during Paddy's Week. While I can agree with you that sadly not many students seem to care with regards all of this, if they did take that bit of time to care they would have noticed that attempts were made to amend the Constitution so that this problem would not occur. I cannot remember if this was last semester, or this semester last year, but it was attempted.

Actually in 2008 RAG Week took place in Week 7 having checked over my e-mails from back then.

My mistake sorry. It took place in week 10 in 09. It took place during week 7 in 08 alright, I remember Cheltenham was on at the same time. Weather was sketchy iirc. Weather was brilliant a year later.

As Derek said, as per the SU Constitution the elections must take place in Week 9.

Why? And why have the elections took place over different weeks in different years? Not giving out btw, i'm genuinely interested in the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

It is specifically written into the Constitution that the new incoming Sabbats must be elected by Friday of Week 9.

I think it can technically go on any time before that.

Thanks for that.

I see that last year the SU body placed the elections on during week 7, and Charity week in week 9. I question why this same strategy wasn't implemented this year? Had the SU suddenly decided this year that the elections were of greater importance to a larger portion of the student body? :rolleyes:

Either way, there could have been the best of both world's had Charity week been organised for week 10. As Ninty9er so nicely pointed out earlier on, all 4th years would be finished their FYP's that week.

Regardless of what week Charity Week is the majority will always find reason to complain, irrespective of justification.

• Advertisement

ninty9er wrote: »
    Regardless of what week Charity Week is the majority will always find reason to complain, irrespective of justification.

And still proceed to have a great bloody week of it.

CiaranMT wrote: »
    And still proceed to have a great bloody week of it.

And the charity take will probably, again despite all the best efforts, be less than 50c per head for general fundraising.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭daithi_lacha

And the charity take will probably, again despite all the best efforts, be less than 50c per head for general fundraising.

not a great statistic though considering a fair portion of students will be away on tp or placement, and another portion locked up doing fyp's and the like... I still don't see why the election weeks can't be juggled around as in the past...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

It is specifically written into the Constitution that the new incoming Sabbats must be elected by Friday of Week 9.

I think it can technically go on any time before that.
    It can.

99er, as a matter of interest, could you tell us what percentage of gigs, events and the like go to charity?

CiaranMT wrote: »
    99er, as a matter of interest, could you tell us what percentage of gigs, events and the like go to charity?
    Any profits made from the gigs during the week are donated. There hasn't been a significantly profitable week in a number of years. The Union budget has even had to subsidise the donation in past years but didn't last year as it's not sustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

new video up promoting rag week :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j64a9ziP8ao

toodleytoo wrote: »
    new video up promoting rag week :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j64a9ziP8ao

Nice video, but lads, who's proof-reading in the SU? I saw Chaity Week towards the end of that clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭daithi_lacha

can't wait to find out what 'bungie jump' is too :p

Advertisement