Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is this reasonable?

• 14-01-2011 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi

I'm getting my attic and cavity wall insulated? I received a quotation of 1600 before grant.

works will cover 55 square meters of 200mm glass fibre in attic. walk way between hatch and water tank, pipes and tank will be insulated as well. 90 square meters of cavity wall will be insulated with EPS.

do you think this is a fair price?

btw, my house is terraced.

thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

What percentage of the overall price is the attic and how much for the walls? First impression is that overall price is not too far off the mark. Theres a little more to insulating an attic for the SEAI HES scheme than people think. This contractor seems to have all the bases covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭BERmad

To me that seems a bit expensive I would expect that type of house to come in around 1200-1400 in the North-East of the country but if your in Dublin you can expect to pay a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭potter on

45% of the cost towards attic, 55% towards wall. btw, i'm in munster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

I cant comment properly on the cavity wall insulation but I am registered for roof and dry-lining so in my opinion the roof insulation price is not a bad price. To be honest it is very hard to make money from the SEAI HES scheme. The amount of red tape and bureaucracy is unbelievable. Just yesterday we got an email with a 22 page attachment detailing disciplinary procedures, auditing, and penalties that are being introduced if we don’t follow the SEAI guidelines to the letter of the law. We were de-registered just before Christmas on the very minute our C2 expired. There is no lee-way allowed even though you cant get a new C2 on the date of expiry and it takes at least a few days for a new C2. Same with insurance, the minute it expires you are taken off the list even though your broker always ensures the cover is carried over until new paperwork is sent to the broker. Just read another post on here about the elderly couple losing their grant because the paperwork wasn’t sent in on time. Useless civil servants making themselves feel important.
    You really should see the Contractor Code of Practice. Basically the SEAI want to call the shots but take none of the responsibility. Everything is worded to provide the SEAI with complete indemnity and the contractor bears all the risk. Even when you phone the SEAI with a query you wont get a straight answer and you are told to make your own descision but beware of the consequences if they come along after and find something wrong in an audit. Now they’re handing out penalty points. The emphasis towards the contractor seems to be on punishment rather than education. :(

You could get a cheaper job done from a non-registered insulation contractor but anyone registered with the SEAI has to pass on the cost of all the bureaucracy. On the other hand you are availing of the grants on offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I cant comment properly on the cavity wall insulation but I am registered for roof and dry-lining so in my opinion the roof insulation price is not a bad price. To be honest it is very hard to make money from the SEAI HES scheme. The amount of red tape and bureaucracy is unbelievable. Just yesterday we got an email with a 22 page attachment detailing disciplinary procedures, auditing, and penalties that are being introduced if we don’t follow the SEAI guidelines to the letter of the law. We were de-registered just before Christmas on the very minute our C2 expired. There is no lee-way allowed even though you cant get a new C2 on the date of expiry and it takes at least a few days for a new C2. Same with insurance, the minute it expires you are taken off the list even though your broker always ensures the cover is carried over until new paperwork is sent to the broker. Just read another post on here about the elderly couple losing their grant because the paperwork wasn’t sent in on time. Useless civil servants making themselves feel important.
    You really should see the Contractor Code of Practice. Basically the SEAI want to call the shots but take none of the responsibility. Everything is worded to provide the SEAI with complete indemnity and the contractor bears all the risk. Even when you phone the SEAI with a query you wont get a straight answer and you are told to make your own descision but beware of the consequences if they come along after and find something wrong in an audit. Now they’re handing out penalty points. The emphasis towards the contractor seems to be on punishment rather than education. :(

You could get a cheaper job done from a non-registered insulation contractor but anyone registered with the SEAI has to pass on the cost of all the bureaucracy. On the other hand you are availing of the grants on offer.

Sounds just like the way they are treating the assessors too!!! they are rubbish!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,270 ✭✭✭✭muffler

potter on wrote: »
    I'm getting my attic and cavity wall insulated? I received a quotation of 1600 before grant.

do you think this is a fair price?
    Rants over. There's the topic ^ ^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

ah yes the topic!!, seems a bit high to me to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭potter on

thanks guy, think I'll ring for few more quotes. If it can save me some, that would be good. I'll def go for registered one though.

Advertisement