Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicago J1 2011

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭cookiemonst3r

Oh no everyone seems to be leaving so early. Not arriving til the 30th of May. LEAVE SOME JOBS FOR US :)

How are people looking for places to stay? Just online like? People seem to know people though. So annoying cos I've exams and not a lot of time to look up jobs and stuff now :( Also a lot of places I've been looking up seem quite pricey. Maybe I'm just not looking on the right sites?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I went last year and have to say that jobs were difficult to get to say the least. You need to sort out your social security card ASAP but begin looking for a job as soon as you move into your accommodation. Don't underestimate the golf clubs for jobs, even if it means travelling a bit to get there.

Chicago is quite a segregated city; the north (along the lake) is white middle class, southside is African American and west side is a mixture so do your research before venturing into a random area as shootings are so common in Chicago (in the bad areas which are easy to avoid in case you are worried). Don't read the Chicago newspapers! Don't go further south on the red line then the Sox stadium, it will probably be grand but you will literally be the only white people. We worked out of the city way south, but lived downtown so we rode the red line everyday to and from work south of Sox even though we were warned not to (two big lads though).

www.FornelliHall.com (this was where we stayed http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=41.883253,-87.62543&spn=0,0.005284&z=18&layer=c&cbll=41.883254,-87.625531&panoid=5QVRhGNLMQxjmy6AMBfz-g&cbp=12,186.28,,0,-61.68) provide accommodation (haggle with them) in a student building on Washington and Michigan. This is quite possibly the most downtown you can get. Iconic streets and 30 seconds from Millenium park. Give them an email if you want accommodation there was 15 of us in 4 apartments on the one floor (12th floor; epic!) last year. Two highlights of staying here were; Obama visiting the Art Institute across the road (sick security everywhere) and the big Red Hawks Stanley Cup parade went up our street too. It was $1600 each for 12 weeks ($133 per week; can pay how you want to pay), all bills included (internet, air conditioning, electricity etc.) plus a refundable $500 deposit. Quite pricey but sensational location. Dunkin Donuts and Subway were our neighbours lol!

The beaches by the lake are a must when you aren't working. Chicago is scorching all summer because of the humidity and the lake is lovely for swimming and throwing a football around.

Supermarkets aren't as cheap as Tesco/Lidl etc. but Jewel Osco is a good place to shop. They have a mini 'deals catalogue' you can pick up when you go in to the store to find out the cheap stuff.

The city is unreal; lots to see and do, and the epic thunderstorms that come out of no where are an experience to cherish! Transformers was being filmed last summer so it was cool to see streets transformed into disaster sets (Batman might be filmed this year).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 j1 student

hey,
    im flying on the 2nd of june from heathrow to chicago. im flying out by myself and meeting up with friends out there. was wondering if anybody else is flying on the 2nd. let me know if you are :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Redzer1990

Hey, does any1 know how many hours you need to be at the airport before our flight? Im flyin from dublin at half 12 and was wondering what time id need to be der?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Redzer1990 wrote: »
    Hey, does any1 know how many hours you need to be at the airport before our flight? Im flyin from dublin at half 12 and was wondering what time id need to be der?

I was at the airport at 11am (having slept in late by 2 hours as I was out the previous night) and by 11:25am I was waiting for my 12:30pm flight. I wouldn't cut it that close though. Aim to be at the airport two to two and a half hours before your flight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 TuxedoGav

Hey all, Myself and a mate (two lads) are heading over to Chicago on a J1 in June and hoping to visit a few other places while there until September.
    Planning on finding work in the city for the summer.

Is there anyone that's heading over to Chicago this summer that would like to house share?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 chicago2011

TuxedoGav wrote: »
    Hey all, Myself and a mate (two lads) are heading over to Chicago on a J1 in June and hoping to visit a few other places while there until September.
    Planning on finding work in the city for the summer.

Is there anyone that's heading over to Chicago this summer that would like to house share?:)

hey, myself and my friend are also headin out in june..not long now..wer lookin for ppl to share with...altho we've bookd a hostel for the 1st week cuz we wer told that u usually find other j1'ers there who u can share with...

hey, myself and my friend are also headin out in june..not long now..wer lookin for ppl to share with...altho we've bookd a hostel for the 1st week cuz we wer told that u usually find other j1'ers there who u can share with...
    Hey, yeah we were told the same thing. We still have to book the hostel, just looked at some and probably goona go for the Chicago Getaway Hostel or the H.I. Chicago Hostel.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭neil.p.b

Hey, yeah we were told the same thing. We still have to book the hostel, just looked at some and probably goona go for the Chicago Getaway Hostel or the H.I. Chicago Hostel.

DO NOT stay in the H.I., and DEFINITELY stay in the Getaway (if there's still any rooms available). H.I is in the center of the city and everything is dead at night, its just the business district. Getaway is further north where all the nightlife is and you'll most likely meet other j1'ers in the there.

neil.p.b wrote: »
    DO NOT stay in the H.I., and DEFINITELY stay in the Getaway (if there's still any rooms available). H.I is in the center of the city and everything is dead at night, its just the business district. Getaway is further north where all the nightlife is and you'll most likely meet other j1'ers in the there.

Would it not be slightly better to stay nearer the city for the first few days so it's easier to go looking for a job? We're staying in AWA pretty much for the location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭neil.p.b

Would it not be slightly better to stay nearer the city for the first few days so it's easier to go looking for a job? We're staying in AWA pretty much for the location.

Not really, H.I is still a 10 min walk to anywhere you'd be getting jobs in the city (retail area and navy pier). Getaway is only a 20 min train journey back into the center so it's not too out of the way. Plus they'll be places north of the city center to look for jobs too (the zoo, bars, restaurants, etc). Plus getaway has the added bonus of location in general and being able to meet other Irish if you're looking for people to houseshare with. I mean there's nothing wrong with staying in the city for the first few nights, i just think it'd be better staying further north.

And don't worry about not having accommodation, we didn't find a place before hand either despite looking for ages, second day there just hopped on the red line train up to belmont and addison (wriggleyville) and walked around. There was loads of places for rent, i cant imagine it being any different this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 panagma

col21 wrote: »
    we are going june 1st. we hear its easy to get jobs but not to sure about accommoation. any info is appreciated

I'm going out on June 1st too.. 5 girls, don't have a place to stay yet.. Are you going from Dublin at 7:30 by any chance?!

Cheers neil.p.b for the info, we've just booked 7 nights at the Getaway.

yeh we're staying in the getaway hostel too for 6/7 days...probs see ues about :)

yeh we're staying in the getaway hostel too for 6/7 days...probs see ues about :)
    Yeah sure, when are yous stayin there, we're there from the 13th of June

Yeah sure, when are yous stayin there, we're there from the 13th of June

oo maybe not...were staying 6th-13th..

And don't worry about not having accommodation, we didn't find a place before hand either despite looking for ages, second day there just hopped on the red line train up to belmont and addison (wriggleyville) and walked around. There was loads of places for rent, i cant imagine it being any different this year.

Did you just call lots of people? We've been calling tons of people and nobody does summer leases.

oo maybe not...were staying 6th-13th..
    Oh ok, yeah well be there late on the 13th so probably wont see you there, have a good trip. If ya get a chance can you tell me what its like over there and give me a shout if yous find a place that could fit two more, it would make rent cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

hey guys, one lad, 21, from galway, looking to head over, will be over mid june, looking to share accom
    has been to chicago before

PM me, if interested

Oh ok, yeah well be there late on the 13th so probably wont see you there, have a good trip. If ya get a chance can you tell me what its like over there and give me a shout if yous find a place that could fit two more, it would make rent cheaper.

yup not a prob..il keep my eyes peeled for somewhere great and cheap. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

Ok, we have room for 2 more [currently 4 lads in a 2 bed]; located @ Ashland & Irving. Its $470 up front [first + last months rent] plus another months rent in July of $230.

If interested, PM me and we'll work from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭silverwater

Hey lads,
    I know it's a bit late, but in the off-chance any of you read this, I am a J1er and I run a night for J1ers.
    I have good idea of what you guys want to drink and hear, and am always open to more suggestions. I even ordered in some boxes of Tayto, and we give a packet for free if you have Irish ID. You won't find that anywhere else.

So, consider Hi-Tops Sports Bar at the Fullerton Red Line on Sunday Nights.
    Deals include - $1 Busch Light cans, $1 PBR Draft, $3 All Drafts, $3 Vodka Cocktails, 2 for 1 Jager Bombs, $20 all you can drink for 3 hours.

Music includes The Fields of Athenry, Where's Me Jumper? and N17. And whatever else you want to hear.

Find us on Facebook here, and let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_170352226360326

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Not sure if anyone is still looking for summer leases, but you should reach out to the universities in the Chicagoland area. During the summer, all the students leave the dorms and the schools rent the rooms to bring in income. They are usually cheap; I think they may be even catered, depending on your situation.

http://www.housing.uic.edu/intern/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Don't read the Chicago newspapers! Don't go further south on the red line then the Sox stadium, it will probably be grand but you will literally be the only white people.

Don't read the Chicago newspapers? The Chicago Tribune is one of the most respected in the world, and the Red Eye always had daily info on drinks promotions, a must read :p

As for not going further south on the red line than the Sox stadium, I spent the summer living on 55th, which is quite a ways south of that. I only had to get the Red Line a few times (usually got a bus) but I agree to avoid going beyond 35th/Sox if you can. 47th is ok but the next stop Garfield is pretty rough, there's usually a police presence there but it still feels a bit dodgy.

That said the area directly around University of Chicago (which is a ways east of Garfield on 57th street) is the safest place in the entire city, and arguably one of the safest in all of Illinois. It has the largest private police force in the world bar the Vatican. Plenty of students hang around over the summer as well. Definitely go check out the University at some point.

Advertisement