Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mouldy house

Options
  • 14-01-2011 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭

We have a leak in the roof of the garage which has given us a lovely thick mouldy wall on one side of the house- the entire side, from the floor to all over the ceiling! We washed down everything with mould remover 5 times since mid-November, and it's all over the plaster, right down to the brickwork. There's no heater in that part of the house, we regularly ventilate the house, there's not a speck of mould anywhere else in the house (apart from tiny bit on bathroom window we wipe off).

Basically do we have grounds to terminate our lease early? The landlord has said he'll re-do the plaster and wallpaper etc, but he's waiting until the weather improves!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭nearly

What color is the mould?

Ensure you document the mould and growth. Don't bother trying to clean the surface. Don't touch it or disturb it at all. Take photos and note the dates. Keep track of all communication to the landlord.

I don't know the laws here, but mould is very serious and unsafe.

I made myself sick trying to scrape off layers of mould and paint from a wall when my landlord wouldn't do anything. I stupidly lived in that place wayyy too long. Now I have built up an annoying and powerful allergy to dust and mould too. Worse happens to ppl - you may know this yourself.

Get an estimate from a professional on the cost of mould removal, and fixing the wall. The landlord needs to get a professional in ASAP.

Not to do so is rather cruel on their part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

raw bleach works and then blast it with heat but thats just temporary

really need to move out ASAP if its that bad

Advertisement