Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Android Phone?? Samsung/HTC or get an iPhone?

Options
  • 14-01-2011 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone!

I'm in the market for a new phone. I previously had a budget of €150 - €200 but I didn't like any of the phones Vodafone PAYG had on offer/they hadn't what I wanted which is a decent Android phone that looks good and is capable of downloading countless pointless apps which I will undoubtably do!

So, from looking on the website I've narrowed down my search to:
    1. Samsung i9000 Galaxy S 8GB
    2. HTC Desire
    3. Apple iPhone 3G/4 ( I know its not Android)

What I want is a phone I can download apps to, not that hard to use as I'm not overly "technically minded" and one that is easy to use everyday, to talk and text. Good battery life would be a bonus but from what I've heard about Android phones, the battery life isn't great because of all the power the phone has/uses.

So, could anyone point me in the direction of what is the better phone??

Any help would be appreciated as I have myself demented looking over the Vodafone website :P

Thanks in advance,
    dlambirl.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

From what you've described I reckon you should go for the iPhone. It's more simplistic than Android and it has a slightly bigger app store with more games etc. iOS is more simplistic to use than Android. That's just my oppinion.

But if you really have your heart set on Android, I'd recommend the Desire. Basically just because they're really not that different. Just Sense is easier and nicer looking than Samsung's TouchWiz UI. Although they can be changed with home replacements easilly but you're not that technically minded. :p

So I'd go with either the iPhone 4/3GS (depending on price range) then the Desire.

That's just me though and personal preference. Good luck finding your phone. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

I would rather stick to Android rather than Apple iPhone.

Swaying slightly more towards the HTC although the Samsung Galaxy S is better is some ways, the HTC is smaller and has a LED Flash for the 5MP Camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

Aren't you realistically just going to use it for your standard stuff like texting, calling e-mail etc? And downloading apps of course, I it's just or that an not how open the software is and how much can be done with it than it's the iPhone all day. Android is a little more complicated to get the most out of. But yeah, if you're looking at Android - go with the Desire. There's been way too many problems with the Galaxy.

The thing about the iPhone is that hefty pricetag. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ugni

if you arent too fussed about screen quality then you could opt for a HTC Widlfire!! I really love mine and it was only 180 euro!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

dlambirl wrote: »
    I would rather stick to Android rather than Apple iPhone.

In that case you've narrowed it down to the two best Android phones and at this stage the decision is down to you. What you should be doing now is deciding on which features are most important to you and pick the one (of those two) which has the best of your priority features.

Either way you can't go wrong with those two models - with the iPhone4 they almost always get the top three spots in any beauty contests for smartphones as they did here at CNET UK.....

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobile-phones/best-android-phones-review-50000416/

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone!

Tried to get a HTC Desire today but no where had one in stock :(:( One of the salespeople in one vodafone shop said that Vodafone weren't going to do the HTC Desire anymore, only the HTC Desire HD - anyone know why or where they misunderstood?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭jlang

HTC Desire is in stock for online sale through Meteor's website. (Galaxy isn't)

I wanna get it from Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,481 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

have you thought of going bill pay?
    i was a payg on vodafone before and decided to go bill pay at xmas as Meteor have a good deal on at the moment online for €25 a month for the first year and then €30 after
    you get 200 texts, 200 minutes and 1gb data usage

i don't know how much you spend a month on your payg but it is probably not much less than that and now you have a phone that will actually be able to download apps and data which will cost you more on payg

i also got the HTC Desire Z for €190 which is also a lot cheaper than buying it full price, so if you factor all that in it would be a lot cheaper to use a bill pay

Advertisement