Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christian Rock/Metal

Options
  • 14-01-2011 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

So, erm, I was thinking...does anybody here listen to this stuff. I know it's huge in the States and there is that South Park episode about Christian Rock but leaving aside the fact they're talking about Jesus and the Bible some of this stuff isn't too bad. Anybody ever follow a Christian Metal band?

I do like some of Creed's stuff still (even if their lead singer made some serious messed up judgements) but think that's as far as it goes. Maybe the Lighthouse Family on an odd day.

And does anyone subscribe to the theory that U2 are a Christian Rock band, because a lot of people in the US and South America seem to think so? I mean the album October could be considered a Religious album...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

That Sacrecy song isn't too bad.

To be honest if I wasn't to know the lyrics I'm sure I would listen to plenty of Christian metal bands if they wrote good songs!!

But knowing they're Christian metal/rock would definitely put me off. I mean you must be fairly fundamentalist/devout to write all Christianity themed songs... And I think that's weird.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The only one that I can recall being quite open about their religion were Stryper. I didn't like them and nothing to do with the white image but more that their music was crap.

Personally, metal isn't religious and I don't want to hear songs about how we love God, etc. I do enjoy the horror personality of metal, etc. and amn't into the likes of the satanic Norwegian stuff but I'd listen to the likes of Deicide.
    However, what I listen to is the music. I don't care what the lyrics say as usually they are nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

meh, I wouldn't listen to Christian rock, on the assumption that no matter how good the music is, there's always going to be an agenda behind it with the lyrics....
    I would rather listen to stuff where someone isn't telling me "the Christian way is the best way" .

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

I certainly wouldn't look for Christian rock/metal but if the music is good enough I'll give it a chance. I don't normally pay too much attention to lyrics anyway. The only Christian album I have is Neal Morse's Sola Scriptura. As long as I can look past the more cringeworthy Christian sections, it is a very enjoyable prog rock/metal album. Some noteworthy guest appearances as Mike Portnoy played drums on the recording and Paul Gilbert recorded some of the solos.

Here's a live version of the first song from the album, if anyone is willing to spend 30 mins or so to give it a shot. I'd say listen to the first 4 or 5 mins of the first part anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Are As I Lay Dying considered a Christian Metal band? I have to say I enjoy their Shadows Are Security album, I can barely make out a word of it though, so I guess the meanings aren't too important.
    And besides I used to listen to Deicide/Burzum but I never considered myself a satanist/pagan, its just good music at the end of the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

As I Lay Dying are a Christian metal band. I actually rather like them. Really couldn't give a toss about their lyrics so long as the music is good.

Still Remains as far as I know are another but have disbanded.

Those would be the only two I'd know of or would regularly listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭baldshin

Love As I Lay Dying, and also August Burns Red are another great "Christian" band.
    Doesn't bother me in the slightest as long as the music is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

As I lay dying arent specifically a christian band though. Theres no real agenda. They are all Christians, but they arent preaching in the lyrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭AaronEnnis

Before this thread turns into a religion debate....
    677_01_30_2005_12_38_41_Trouble%20-%20Psalm%209.jpg

This is the greatest metal album with Christian-themed lyrics. Pure Doom. There's a huge christian metal scene, it just so happens that most of the bands are completely awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

King's X - the band members were 'Christian' and that had an influence on their writing. Although they were later shunned by many christian outlets in the US when Doug came out of the closet...

Actually U2 suffered a similar backlash in the US becasue of them swearing, drinking & smoking. Apparently some christian stations will play their music, but only covers done by other bands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭silent sage

I enjoy some of dredg's songs, particularly the album Catch Without Arms. Now, technically they aren’t a Christian Rock band, but I remember someone (on a different board I used to post on) mentioning they have Christian influences. Although I'm not sure how much truth is in that, because a google search has yielded no reliable answer. I can certainly hear a "spiritually" uplifting slant in their lyrics.

In general, no I don't listen to Christian Rock/Metal. As an atheist I wouldn't consider it my high priority in a "discovering new music" sense, and I'm put off by my preconceived assumption that I'd be persistently irked by the presumably preachy and one dimensional concept/lyrics, but I'm open to any style and it won't matter how the artist was inspired if I like it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I've given this some thought and came to the conclusion that I'm not fussed about someone labelling their music or their band as Christian or Muslim or Pagan or anything :) It's either worth listening to or it's not. I would respectfully suggest that a lot of "Christian Rock" is shockingly weak - those Creed douches being a great example of what I mean. Trying to make what are essentially "Rock Hymns" is just lame :) However, any artist that uses their faith as inspiration is OK with me.

Since we're here, I believe Norma Jean described themselves as Christian and it's certainly been of some influence in their work, but like As I Lay Dying, you certainly wouldn't call them "Christian Metal."

I'm not sure if this is relevant to the thread title, but I think this track has a refreshingly modern take on a Christian concept, taken from an album which has a glaringly obvious Christian title.

Brand New are an incredible band. However, I don't think they are a Christian rock band tbh but I see where you're coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Stryper, remember them well!

Music can be good but the lyrics would drive you spare!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 dagaz11

Tourniquet put out some pretty good albums. Believer too, in Ireland. Both are thrash metal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Sleeping Giant, Norma Jean, The Chariot, Haste The Day, Impending Doom...to name a few.

Evanescence were one I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

That_Guy wrote: »
    That was a bit of a weird one. I think Ben Moody is a Christian and for some reason their record company originally promoted them as a Christian band but without actually checking that the band were okay with it first. See here.
    Vocalist Amy Lee said in the interview, "There are people that are hell-bent on the idea that we're a Christian band in disguise, and that we have some secret message. We have no spiritual affiliation with this music. It's simply about life experience." Lee adds, "I guarantee that if the Christian bookstore owners listened to some of those songs, they wouldn't sell the CD."

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭AaronEnnis

Forgot about this one!

Incubus+-+Serpent+Temptation+-CD++Inside.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I'm sure I've more Christan Rock/Metal hiding on my music drive but apart from the previously-mentioned Creed and As I Lay Dying, the only othe band I can think of is Fireflight

That_Guy wrote: »

& Flyleaf if I remember correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

That Brand New stuff is good, I gave it a spin...

seachto7 wrote: »
    That Brand New stuff is good, I gave it a spin...

I'd highly recommend the album "The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me", it's not all spiritually related content, but it's so good.

/Off topic post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭HBK

I'm sorry but the LIGHTHOUSE family? Is he taking the piss? There not a band, never mind a 'rock' band???? Am I missing something?

I dont subscribe to this 'christian' rock thing but...

Anyway....a band that have not been mentioned are 'Day of Fire'.

Checkout 'Fade Away' , 'Rain Song' . 'Run' & 'Lately'

Sorry I cant post links I'm in work. Might fix that later

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

HBK wrote: »
    I'm sorry but the LIGHTHOUSE family? Is he taking the piss? There not a band, never mind a 'rock' band???? Am I missing something?

They're just an example of Christian Rock that spring to mind when you think of popular mainstream bands in the mid to late 90's

And please change your avatar before you cause confusion:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

U2, imo, don't fall into the genre of Christian Rock, but are a rock band who happen to be Christian. The Christian stuff permeates the lyrics, but doesn't define them. Kinda like Paramore (*spits on floor*), but less devout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭McSween

Malice wrote: »
    Fireflight

QUOTE]

downloaded them ages ago and have put them on now. decent. i like christian music a lot. i like a mixture of heavy vocals and then melodic vocals on the chorus. i do like the worship stuff cos it can be superb music in a rock format but i wouldnt be into these clowns with their hands in the air or anything.

Seventh Day Slumber - Last Regret this is a mixture of heavy and melodic, next two songs are melodic
    Seventh Day Slumber - Every Saturday

Seventh Day Slumber - On My Way Home

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

i recently discovered a band called bloodgood ,really great stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

AaronEnnis wrote: »
    Forgot about this one!

Incubus+-+Serpent+Temptation+-CD++Inside.jpg

Im hoping you know "Serpent temptation" is an amazing Trash album from an early trash American band, not like the religious sh1t mainstream band "Incudus" band, that everyone else will know with the highest religious beliefs (if so i didnt know the American Trash outfit were Bible Bashers:()

incubus_make_yourself.jpg

To keep on topic the only Christian Rock/metal that I like is "Inquisition" Read the Lyrics that accompany this wonderful Christian Song :D:D:D

Advertisement