Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What visa could I get?

Options
  • 14-01-2011 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

I'm 22, Irish, have a BSc Degree in Quantity Surveying since 2008, No experience. Have loads of labouring experience (Jack of all trades, master of none!) Planning on going to oz in june/july.

I'm just wondering what other visa could i get apart from the Working Holiday visa, if any? As most require working experience.

Also would working in the mines as a trade assisant/labourer in Western Oz count as specific work? And would a mining company sponsor me to get a long term visa?

Any info at all would be great!!!!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

As you say most of them do require experience . What you need to do is go on the WHV anyway and see how you like Oz . Who knows you mightn't like it not that to many don't .

While over there keep and eye out and you might be very very very lucky to get some part time work in Quantity Surveying somewhere and build up some experience that way . Then you could take a look at sponsorship which isn't as easy as everyone seems to make out .
    Also would working in the mines as a trade assisant/labourer in Western Oz count as specific work? And would a mining company sponsor me to get a long term visa?

I'm not 100% sure about working in the mines would count as specific work> Do you mean count towards the 2nd year of the WHV .

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Yeah for the 2nd visa? I'm not to pushed about working as a QS, i would rather to work with my hands or driving. as fas as i read driving in the mines wont count towards specific work, but labouring would count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Ok heres the thing as a QS you could get a permanent Visa of some sort. Working with your hands as you describe will have you going home at the end of 2 years.

There are better people on this forum that are more geared towards QS requirements and Visa's

But my gut feeling is you dont have enough work experience to apply for a permanent visa.

Getting sponsored as a QS on a 457 would be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

rightyabe wrote: »
    Yeah for the 2nd visa? I'm not to pushed about working as a QS, i would rather to work with my hands or driving. as fas as i read driving in the mines wont count towards specific work, but labouring would count.

Mining counts
    # mining

* coal mining
    * oil and gas extraction
    * metal ore mining
    * non-metallic mineral mining and quarrying
    * exploration and other mining support services not including secondary activities such as book-keeping, catering and transport.

have a read of this
    http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/specified-work.htm

Zambia wrote: »
    Getting sponsored as a QS on a 457 would be your best bet.

Ive been reading alot of other forums also, and its almost impossible to get a 457 visa with experience let alone without experience.

Could i however get a WHV,then try and find a Contractor to sponsor me? and would this contractor have to be in "regional" oz? or based in a major city?

• Advertisement

rightyabe wrote: »
    Ive been reading alot of other forums also, and its almost impossible to get a 457 visa with experience let alone without experience.

Could i however get a WHV,then try and find a Contractor to sponsor me? and would this contractor have to be in "regional" oz? or based in a major city?

Yes its not easy to get a 457 from Ireland

Doc wrote a good post here.

Have a read Post 1

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055903547

Yeah I read that thread, not to impressed with it though, i may as well just go out on day 1 and look for a wife/partner. I wouldn't consider it good advice at all and cant believe its a "top tip"

Anyways, lets say i got a job as a Builders labourer for 6 months, could i then ask them to sponsor me as a brickie if i showed good skills even though i've no formal brickie papers?

Ah no ... You would really need to show some qualifications as a brickie. They have to prove they could not hire an aussie with the skills they need . You cant prove you have the skills of a brickie.

If you tried to do the same thing as a QS you would have a better chance.

WHV -> Work as a QS -> QS company sponsors you -> You can prove QS skills to DIAC -> DIAC approves sponsor - > You apply for PR in a few years - > Get PR -. > Leave QS company and work as a Brickie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Irish are not that dominant in the Bricklaying trade in Australia, apart from a few its mostly the Italian brickies & Chinese plasters that tend to be more common. Well in Sydney anyway.

Irish are big into digging holes, concrete cutting & laying pipes.

Advertisement