Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to advertise a Charity quiz in Galway city

Options
  • 14-01-2011 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

Hey folks

I'm organising a charity quiz in Galway for the start of next month, and I'm currently looking at ways to advertise the event.I'll be putting a post up on boards.ie solely for it in the coming week, and I've also emailed xposed.ie. I'll do the usual Facebook invites and poster advertisements but is there anything I'm glaringly missing that would help? (Keep in mind that free is best! The less cost = more money for charity!)

I know that its unusual for 'strangers' to pop in for a pub quiz, it's normally the people you know and friends of friends that kind of way that will ultimately make up the numbers, but anything is worth a shot for charity!

Any suggestions folks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Radio; Galway Bay FM and Flirt FM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Email in a press release to the local papers, they may get in, especially if it's advertising a charity event :)

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭peustace

Ah yes! The wireless... I was told to try that a few weeks ago but completely forgot about it... not sure how that slipped my mind. And yes the newspaper approach entered my mind but wasnt sure if they would go with it... worth a shot I suppose though.. thanks for replies!

Any other suggestions folks?

Thumbs up from the newspaper and the radio stations so thanks to both for the suggestions!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Ya email a press release to the papers, I done that for a table quiz I organised last year. Where are you having it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

The colleges?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭GuessWho2009

print out some flyers and put them in the local shops, barbers and hairdressers

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

If facebook is anything to go by I'd recommend having a mass afterwards, perhaps offer up communion bread and confessions as spot prizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

Let us know when it's on. Need a old quiz fix again soon

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Mikey23

+1. Miss the days of regular pub quizzes in Bazaar & The Front Door most recently, and several a week in NUIG during my college years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

+1. I need to reunite the old quiz team.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

If you want to attract a lot of people that wouldn't otherwise go, offer a cash prize.

I've run lots of tablequizes in the past. Offering a fairly decent cash prize always ended up in way more tables. For example I ran one with a 100 prize and got 15 tables in. Ran one with 300 and got 42 tables in. Way more return. If you can get a business to sponsor the cash prize all the better. The winners might even hand all or some of the prize back.

Anyway that's my suggestion!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

internet

Hey folks,
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I've posted here about the quiz.

Hope some of you can make it. Plenty of spot prizes on the night as well! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

peustace wrote: »
    Hey folks,
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I've posted here about the quiz.

Hope some of you can make it. Plenty of spot prizes on the night as well! :D

Fixed your link to go directly to it. I'll bring a table anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I see you also got a notice in Advertiser
    http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/35733

Now that you have got the suggestions you asked for and also some boards exposure I think we'll wrap this up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭crally

hi i ran a quiz in lohans of salthill for MADRA dog rescue. depends what charity it is for to know where to advertise it. i had a page on face book that worked a treat. you may as well advertise it now: when/where/what for??

Advertisement