Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stories from meeting footballers

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

I met Neil Lennon, he was out with a few friends and seemed to be a little tipsy. Myself and a friend stopped him and got chatting, really nice bloke and didn't have a bad word to say about anyone. He was in love with Henrik Larsson.

I met the Irish team out one night, all fairly tipsy, Duff looked very happy with himself. The lads cracked a few jokes about him. He was sitting down at a table with a few ladies wearing a suit. The table was covered in Vodka & Redbull. Good craic, Keane, Given, O'Shea, Duff, Carr and few others including Morrison.

Stephen Carr ran out of a shop straight infront of my car, i only saw him last minute but slammed on and i was ready to let the rage roll but he stopped and came over and was very apologetic. I just blurted out make sure we win and i'll forget about it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Stephen Hunt seems a bit nuts, no offence to the lad.

Never met him myself, but a friend of a friend is a guard, and he pulled Hunt over on the N11 one time for speeding, just outside Wexford. Hunt started bargaining with him, promising him tickets to Reading games. There was a bit of a deal struck, and arranging to be done, as Hunt told him to pick the tickets up at such-and-such a bar, off such-and-such a person. Somehow, the guard left his speed gun in Hunt's car!! Brilliant!

So the guard is sh!tting it, knowing he will be in trounle for losing his speed gun. He knows where Kevin Doyles Mum lives. He decides to go to her house, explain the story, and try to get Hunt's number through her. Bit of a long shot, but probably worth a go so he calls to the house. She opens the door, and who is coming down the stairs inside, but the bold Hunty (turned out he was on his way to visit Doyle) wearing nothing but a pair of boxers! He points at the guard, gun-finger style, and shouts 'Howiya Guard!'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Stephen Hunt seems a bit nuts, no offence to the lad.

Never met him myself, but a friend of a friend is a guard, and he pulled Hunt over on the N11 one time for speeding, just outside Wexford. Hunt started bargaining with him, promising him tickets to Reading games. There was a bit of a deal struck, and arranging to be done, as Hunt told him to pick the tickets up at such-and-such a bar, off such-and-such a person. Somehow, the guard left his speed gun in Hunt's car!! Brilliant!

So the guard is sh!tting it, knowing he will be in trounle for losing his speed gun. He knows where Kevin Doyles Mum lives. He decides to go to her house, explain the story, and try to get Hunt's number through her. Bit of a long shot, but probably worth a go so he calls to the house. She opens the door, and who is coming down the stairs inside, but the bold Hunty (turned out he was on his way to visit Doyle) wearing nothing but a pair of boxers! He points at the guard, gun-finger style, and shouts 'Howiya Guard!'

Hmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Hmmm.

I sense a headline for the Daily Fail on Sunday morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Met Packie Bonner in Dublin Airport so me and my friend walked over to say hello
    Pffft, he wouldn't give us the time of day :rolleyes:
    Now fair enough, people are sometimes under stress or busy but from reading here and heard in other places he's normally like this

Also met Mick McCarthy in Dublin Airport, a pure gentleman. Went way up in my estimation :)

Met Packie in the Showgrounds when Finn Harps played Sligo Rovers before the promotion. He was sitting behind me and he sound out altgether. He seems to stick to himself and people generally take it the wrong way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I met Roy Keane a couple of years ago in Athlone when Sunderland played them. Ignorant s*it that guy is.

I met Sylvester Stallone a few years ago and he was as nice as pie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I met Sylvester Stallone a few years ago and he was as nice as pie.

Some player he was back in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Some player he was back in the day.
    excellent keeper ,remember than peno save against the germans:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

yabadabado wrote: »
    excellent keeper ,remember than peno save against the germans:)

Also great for team morale.Having Hatch in goal was like having 12 men on your team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

I met Stephen Ireland. He said he loves playing for his country.

Do you not mean Stephen from Ireland???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Pretty much the whole Newcastle squad was over a couple of weekends ago (match off due to snow). There were a few of them in the quays bar in Templebar pretty much all day Sunday - i got there at about 5pm, apparently they had been there a while according to my very merry friends - Andy Carroll must be about 6'6 by the way!

Anyway, the interesting bit, one of my (post christmas party and still going strong) associates got chatting to Kevin Nolan. The inevitable question came from his inebriated mind, "so kev, why aren't you playing for Ireland?". To which, the reply, "coz Tony Cascarino is a bo**ox".

I did laugh, fair play Mr. Nolan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Met Shearer when he was playing with Newcastle in the Burlington, over for a pre-season tournament. Very chatty, he had played golf a few times with an uncle when he was at Blackburn and they had a nice chat. Barton (the blonde former Wimbledon one, Warren i think) was the only other one I can remember. He sneaked off and had no dealings with anyone.

Also bumped into Kenny Dalglish at Tolka Park when Blackburn manager, they were playing a LOI selection. I was chuffed to meet him as a Liverpool fan (only about 9 or 10 at the time) My uncle who brought me said I loved Kenny when he was LFC but didnt like him now, he laughed and signed my programme.

Advertisement