Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mcdonalds/chipper in the IFSC?

Options
  • 14-01-2011 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I work in the IFSC and its painful getting lunch here on a daily basis. I was just thinking how a fastfood outlet would cleanup in this area and I find it hard to believe that one hasn't being opened yet. There is a lot of places closing down at the moment so there would be space to rent and although rent is expensive in the IFSC I think you would get a huge return on a decent chipshop here.

I think this for the following reasons:

-Workers need their lunch, there is pub grub, Italian restaurants, loads of sandwich bars, orientenal restaurants but no place that serves takeaway burger/fish and chips.
    -A lot of apartments so these people need food as well
    - outside of the IFSC you have the Sherriff Street area which is fairly badly served by Fastfood outlets

Sadly I don't have the money to start one myself but if I did have the necessary funds I would start one as I think you'd be onto an absolute winner.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

The last thing Dublin needs is another fast food place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

I'd disagree.. Personally i think fast food places can potentially bring the image of an area down. Apart from the fact it's muck, and unhealthy, i would really dislike to see a McDonalds/Burger King etc in the area.

Apart from that, besides a one or two hour 'rush' in the middle of the day, i don't think it would be overly busy at any other time of the day, so would not be viable in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Forgot the National college of Ireland as well which would provide a lot of customers aswell. Their canteen food is sh!t.

I'm not making an argument that it would be desireable in a socio-benefical sense. I'm just saying you could turn a buck if you set one up. You may be right about the 2 hour rush but I think with the sheriff street populace, crowds going to the o2 and the people living in the IFSC you would have decent amount of custom outside the two lunch hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

There is one on Amiens St, just two minutes walk from Connolly Station

And while it can be the done thing in Ireland to sit back and knock ideas, I don't share your enthusiasm on a chipper succeeding in the IFSC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Oh i agree with that completely, and i'm not knocking the idea!

But my sister lives in Spencer dock, and i'v spent countless weeks / months staying there at different times over the past few years, and the all the food places are completely dead 90% of the time, bar one hour at lunch, and an an hour or two in the evening. In theory a fast food place would do well, but i could just see it having the same faith as all the others in the area. On gig nights the place area is jammers and you cant get a seat or table anywhere, but they only account for a few nights a month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

There is one on Amiens St, just two minutes walk from Connolly Station

And while it can be the done thing in Ireland to sit back and knock ideas, I don't share your enthusiasm on a chipper succeeding in the IFSC

I know it, would be too far to visit on a lunch break for a large portion of the IFSC, plus it has no seating area and is your typical Dublin chipper.

Generally fastfood in Dublin is pretty samey. I'm not saying fastfood reinvents the wheel but compare it to Cork and the places there namely Lennoxs and KCs and the grub you receive would change your mind on fastfood in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,689 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Dots1982 wrote: »
    compare it to Cork and the places there namely Lennoxs and KCs and the grub you receive would change your mind on fastfood in general.

Galways the same, fast food obsessed. Thank fook Dublin isn't going the same way. OP, it's a quick jog to O'Connell st. plenty of burget joints ther and, you will burn those carbs straight off getting there an back! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭RoastBeefDinner

Be very difficult if not impossible to get planning permission for a fast food in the ifsc, especially on or off mayor street.
    there are a couple of places on the quays that seem to change hands a bit which i'd say have pp for restaurant/takeaway but their in a crap location for passing trade.
    not sure how many people would appreciate the smell of good auld fish/chips in the ifsc office space. too many yuppies

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭ch2008

I used to work in the IFSC and whenever I'd a bit of a head on me I'd walk up to Del Rios on Marlborough Street (facing the Abbey Theatre). Worth the walk.

Advertisement