Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quinn not bothered about trying to keep customers...

• 14-01-2011 4:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭

So my insurance is up for renewal and i got a letter from quinn saying it would be €750... wasnt too impressed with this so i went around a few others to get quotes.. aviva was the best i got at €601 (and thats before i do there "ignition" driving test to get a further discount)
    called up quinn asked them if they would lower their price.. simple answer..
    NO..
    the lady i was speaking to went through my details with me and said the only way would be to go 3rd party rather than fully comp.. which i wasnt interested in.. so she transferred me to another department who simply said.. hi, i'll cancel your renewal now...

considering i have 2 other policies with them (home and health) i thought they would have at least TRIED to keep me with them....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

move and get a quote from aviva for your home and health. I end up moving nearly every year, paly them at their own game.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I found that too when I went to renew last July, I had been with them for 8 years and they wouldn't budge in the slightest. I got a much better quote from 123 so off I went.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭jeffk

They wouldn’t quote me without some form being filled in and some other red tape as I’m in a high risk area, not to high risk to have an office five minutes from my door step.

I do the same as someone else said and each year break out the phone book and ring, ring, ring. This year I went with 123.ie, the AA where around the same, but when I checked they didn’t offer break down assistance with the quote. You’re better off having a list of places and on the other side simple questions, break down assistance, windscreen cover, payment methods etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Why does it matter? If they want to go out of business then let them.Plenty more companies about.When they started, they were fairly good on prices, but after a while they got into a right shower of robbers.Good riddance:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I'm with one direct. The sent a renewal looking for €585. I rang them and got it down to €515 (which I was happy enough with).

Then went to Aviva (Aviva are the underwriters for One Direct) and they do it for €505. So back with me to One Direct for a chat and they wouldn't match Aviva. For the sake of €10, they lost €515. Been with them 3 years up to now. I was amazed they gave up so easy

Happily insured now with Aviva

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I'm with one direct. The sent a renewal looking for €585. I rang them and got it down to €515 (which I was happy enough with).

Then went to Aviva (Aviva are the underwriters for One Direct) and they do it for €505. So back with me to One Direct for a chat and they wouldn't match Aviva. For the sake of €10, they lost €515. Been with them 3 years up to now. I was amazed they gave up so easy

Happily insured now with Aviva

OTOH, you changed insurers just save a tenner, hardly worth the hassle unless you're talking hundreds of euro tbh. I mean, you probably paid that €10 out in phone calls or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Best way to get a cheaper quote from quinn is to get a new policy online - I've done it the last 2 years, ended up a few hundred cheaper than the renewal quote :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Savman wrote: »
    OTOH, you changed insurers just save a tenner, hardly worth the hassle unless you're talking hundreds of euro tbh. I mean, you probably paid that €10 out in phone calls or whatever.

I sure did. No hassle to do (phone calls were free too btw). Tenner better off in my pocket than theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Quinn are in Receivership thats why the prices probally are so High. My Car insurance jumped up by 400e with quinn( for no reason)when i got my renewal & i told them to go jump. could not give me a better Quote. i got it for up to 400e that what they quoted me off someone else.

Quinn - Robbers!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Watch out OP. I was in a similar situation to you last year (ie 3 policies with Quinn). I shifted a motor one to another company as I got a better deal.
    Just before christmas I got an invoice from them (Quinn) for about €150, otherwise my house insurance was being cancelled. Apparently this was the value of the discount they had been giving me on my household insurance because I held two other policies with Quinn.
    I paid up, but it definitely left a bad taste in my mouth. I will NOT be renewing any policies with Quinn when they become due.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

That's why I said get a quote for your other 2 policies as aviva also offer a discount for multiply policies.

MY ins is €200 with the past 4 years and Quinn always quote my over €380, but they were cheaper in 2008 for home and health! When you add all that up it is always putting a few hours by every year to find a better deal. Especially when there's 2 cars etc involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dave45dave

Savman wrote: »

A tenner is a tenner , better off in his arse pocket than those shower or robbers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭bicardi19

I got my renewal letter in the post from quinn looking for an extra 80 euro up on last year.They wanted 580 euro altogether. So I checked all the other insurers and got a few cheaper quotes, out of curiosity I just checked Quinn direct website for a quote. It came in at 430 euro. :eek: So I rang them and asked why there was such a difference in the renewal price they had given me and what I was been quoted on the web page. gave him the quote reference number and he confirmed all the details were the same. Said it was just the online discount. But I would have left Quinn direct if I had'nt by chance checked the web site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭billyboy01

Why would you stay with an Insurance company that is in administration for financial problems:confused:! Dodgy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

My renewal was 40% more than what I paid with them last year, just bought a new policy today that is 50% cheaper than Quinns renewal price and includes more benefits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I had the same thing OP. Mine went up nearly 4k. I asked why as there was no claims etc. She said that Quinn direct were in administration and were raising funds to keep them afloat. They were willing to drop the price by 50 euros..:rolleyes:

I went to a company in Dundalk and they were 2k cheaper than last years price..;)

Quinn is fcuked. Watch this space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

I left quinn a few months ago also, I got a sensational quote from 123. Quinn wanted 1100 on my Audi and I got quoted 750 on 123.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

For the sake of €10, they lost €515.

Hardly though if Aviva were they underwriters I would have thought. I would assume Aviva would be taking a very sizeable chunk of that €515 and OneDirect would be taking their brokerage charge. Hardly fair to say OneDirect lost €515 as a consequence, right? Having said that Im not defending OneDirect in the slightest. I have gone from high risk when I started driving to low risk now with a maximum ncb and quite a few years older. Phoned around each and every year and OneDirects quotes were always among the higest (if they quoted me) as I recall.

I'm actually surprised people are only realising Quinn are a shower of thieving c**ts at this stage. Oh the stories I could tell. They kept on bumping up my insurance. I know it was only 10 or 20 quid but fact of the matter I was building up my ncb and getting that bit older the whole time. Got a much better quote one year, asked them could they do anything for me and answer was a point blank no, so told them I'd be moving. Then a few days before my renewal date they rang me and asked me if I'd be renewing. Told them no as had got a better quote and they went ahead and asked me was there anything they could do for me!:eek: Had paid bank draft to other broker at this stage. Im not an easily angered man but was fuming after their call. Had a job and half getting my named driving experience of them also. Had to travel from Limerick to Dublin for it in the end... a complete fu*king joke, they seem to want it all their own way. Any other insurance company I ever dealt with were a lot more co-operative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I change insurance providers almost every year. It's the cheapest way to get insurance, by far.

I really don't understand the mentality of people staying with the same company year in, year out, when there are cheaper options available.

The same applies to mobile phone operators (have switched several times) & electricity (switched 3 times).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

The same applies to mobile phone operators (have switched several times) & electricity (switched 3 times).
    and dont forget credit cards too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    and dont forget credit cards too

I've never had the need for a credit card, but yeah, it's the same principle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I went with Setanta - was 300 less that what Axa wanted from him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

-Corkie- wrote: »
    I had the same thing OP. Mine went up nearly 4k. I asked why as there was no claims etc. She said that Quinn direct were in administration and were raising funds to keep them afloat. They were willing to drop the price by 50 euros..:rolleyes:

I went to a company in Dundalk and they were 2k cheaper than last years price..;)

Quinn is fcuked. Watch this space.

Jesus christ, 6k difference in a premium?! What the f*ck are you driving lad?

Jesus christ, 6k difference in a premium?! What the f*ck are you driving lad?

Sorry I meant to say thats on other vehicles and public liabiality and buildings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

i went on yesterday to do up my renewal quote on line with them.
    as i usealy get it cheeper and just ring them with the ref but you cant add modifications to the car anymore
    or am i missing something ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Quinn were €600 more expensive for me over NoNonsense for the exact same cover, unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I moved from quinn a couple of years ago. They are bargain basement, but they don't seem to offer an awful lot for the money.

Quinn were €600 more expensive for me over NoNonsense for the exact same cover, unbelievable.

Im not going to defend Quinn as i was never with them , always thought they asked to many questions and were by far the most expensive but god forbid if you ever have a claim with no nonsense insurance you will be stunned with their way of doing things and paying out. Just check other threads on no nonsense. Sorry i dont know how to bring up other links on them , but there out there.

dave45dave wrote: »
    Im not going to defend Quinn as i was never with them , always thought they asked to many questions and were by far the most expensive but god forbid if you ever have a claim with no nonsense insurance you will be stunned with their way of doing things and paying out. Just check other threads on no nonsense. Sorry i dont know how to bring up other links on them , but there out there.

Intresting. What really annoyed me with Quinn was the staff. I dont know has anyone else experienced this but I was talking to one of the girls the other day for over 10 mins going through policies and the next thing she just hung up on me. I presumed it was a phone fault etc but she didnt even ring back allthough she had all my details. I was not being nasty or anything like that.

I rang back and had to go through the whole thing again with someone else who told me there was no record of talking to anyone.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I had to laugh, I was so naive to think Quinn would give you a cheaper price than the previous year etc. It seems Quinn go up on price with age and experience. Dumbasses who dont deserve customers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Strange the way different people get different reactions. Last year Quinn was double for my insurance at €1100ish, even with 2 other policies with them. This year my broker quotes €519, and Quinn come in at €404 online, an extra €30 on top for windscreen cover. This quote also includes Roadside assist and Homestart. I don't know what they are playing at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

quinn charged me 1899 euro in 2009 for fully comp commercial without windscreen , they wanted 3500 off me this year (with an extra years ncb and having my licence another year), moved to aviva for 1799 including full glass cover

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I moved from quinn a couple of years ago. They are bargain basement

You are joking, right? They may have being not too bad a good few years back, moreso in account of the fact they'd actually quote younger drivers, albeit at high enough rates. Don't think they could ever have being described as bargain basement though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

DYLF wrote: »
    So my insurance is up for renewal and i got a letter from quinn saying it would be €750... wasnt too impressed with this so i went around a few others to get quotes.. aviva was the best i got at €601 (and thats before i do there "ignition" driving test to get a further discount)
    called up quinn asked them if they would lower their price.. simple answer..
    NO..
    the lady i was speaking to went through my details with me and said the only way would be to go 3rd party rather than fully comp.. which i wasnt interested in.. so she transferred me to another department who simply said.. hi, i'll cancel your renewal now...

considering i have 2 other policies with them (home and health) i thought they would have at least TRIED to keep me with them....

I got a pretty big reduction from them this year, i also got NCB protection thrown in free, i asked to speak directly to an underwriter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I was with them a few years ago until I got a quote about €100 cheaper than them from 123.ie, when I rang to see if they could match it, I was bluntly told that they don't price match. Last time I will ever do business with them.

• Advertisement

quinn charged me 1899 euro in 2009 for fully comp commercial without windscreen , they wanted 3500 off me this year (with an extra years ncb and having my licence another year), moved to aviva for 1799 including full glass cover

Try Insuremyvan.ie next time. I got fully comp on a caddy this year for €325. Im 40 with full ncb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

You are joking, right? They may have being not too bad a good few years back, moreso in account of the fact they'd actually quote younger drivers, albeit at high enough rates. Don't think they could ever have being described as bargain basement though.

When I first joined Quinn they were considerably cheaper than the alternatives. But their policies didn't seem to offer as much. It didn't make sense to continue with them as my insurance is available for allot cheaper elsewhere now & I get allot of extra in my cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Absurdum wrote: »
    when I rang to see if they could match it, I was bluntly told that they don't price match.

They are a insurance company. They don't price match, they have set rates based on various risk categories and a bit of wiggle room for profit margins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

dave45dave wrote: »
    Try Insuremyvan.ie next time. I got fully comp on a caddy this year for €325. Im 40 with full ncb

I did, they came back with a quote from aviva that was 4 euro cheaper than aviva wanted directly so just left them out of it this year , aviva directly were surprisingly good considering 21/2 years ncb/ 2010 3.0 isuzu d-max

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

They are a insurance company. They don't price match, they have set rates based on various risk categories and a bit of wiggle room for profit margins.

They also lost a customer of 5 years.

• Advertisement

Bluefoam wrote: »
    When I first joined Quinn they were considerably cheaper than the alternatives.

Was it the case that other companies actually did quote you though Bluefoam? My own circumstances were similar to yours when I started driving and it was practically impossible to get quotes from the very vast majority of companies for practically all vehicles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Got my renewal from Quinn. No claims, but another E80 on top of what I was paying.

After getting some advice from here,tried a couple of brokers. One came in nearly E200 cheaper, so I'm going with that. Out of courtesy, I called to let Quinn know. They could only knock E50 off the quote...

Oh - and I got breakdown cover and free windscreen cover too!:D

Advertisement