Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed please. To build or NOT to build?

Options
  • 14-01-2011 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭

Hi head is wrecked at the moment. I want to get a new PC but am unsure what I should do.

I see two possible options...

1. I buy a pre-built pc from Dell/Komplett etc.
    2. I buy the parts and assemble the pc myself. Maybe from HWV or overclockers.

Are DELL good value these days on desktops? Not sure about this as I like the idea of being able to customise the componets myself and getting a good case.

My problem is as follows...
    My current PC, a custom build from Ankermann has been a disaster from day 1(purchased September 2007 for around 1K). I won't go into the details, just that the whole pc was RMA'd and the video card died, some case components never worked(front audio) and I've never been happy with it. This is why I have a fear of buying from HWV and having them assemble the machine. I don't want to go through all the hassle again if anything goes wrong!

I have never built a pc myself but am in the tech support business so know my way around pc's. Is it really that hard? I think I would be fine with the RAM/HDD/Motherboard/drives but wouldn't have a clue about power supplys and fans! I think I am just intimidated about buying the right components to fit in the right case. There seems to be a lot of great support here as well which I'm sure I could fall back on.

I use my home pc for movies, music, office and some gaming now and again. I think a Core i5 CPU would probably be plenty for me. Is it a good idea to use the power supply from my Ankermann(600w) or should I just move away from it completely? My current video card is Powercolor HD4850 OC 1GB DDR3 which seems fine for running most stuff at the moment.

I've recently been drooling over the Cooler Master CM Scout!

I would like to keep the budget as low as possible, maybe around €500-€600, is this realistic? What do you guys think I should do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

It's not all that difficult tbh.

Someone on here will spec you up a PC if you say what you'll be using it for, and name a budget.

There's the components sorted.

All thats left is building the thing, and if you've ever played with lego, you can put together a PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

To be honest with you, i would advise you to build it yourself. They really are like lego these days. My better half isn't the most technical person in the world, but she can put a PC together . Each components can only go in a certain way, you cant put the ram in the cpu socket or can you hook up a sata cable to the cpu even the cables are labeled. And you will save yourself a fair bit of cash too, which lets be honest is the best part about it. And, if anything goes wrong you can always come and ask here, guaranteed helpfulness :)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

Perhaps a netbook would meet your needs? These can be bought for about €250 +.

I have had good experience to date with Dell PCs, also IBM.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Op you can build a pretty decent PC for €500-€600 or you can spend the same amount if not more on a rubbish Dell. As others have said building is easy these days and you can always watch some vids on youtube to get a feel for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

Cheers for all the encouragement lads, I would really like to build it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Faster Doudle

Hey,

I'd advise to build one yourself. You'll get a better machine cheaper and there's no guarantee that a pre-built machine won't have problems with it.

Don't go near Dell. I had a brilliant machine from them 6+ years ago, but I went to buy a new machine two years ago and it was a disaster. They sold me a brick that never worked properly from the week I got it and didn't even power on after a month or so. They repaired it and it broke down again the day after it was delivered. I ended up chasing them for around 6 months for a replacement/repair and in the end I had to take them to the small claims court for a refund. They kept denying I was entitled to anything other than more repairs and even suggested their warrenty superceded Irish consumer law. Dealing with Dell was an absolute nightmare. I think Prime Time did a programme about their poor customer services a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Netbooks are good for light travelling, but the small keyboard and screen will drive you mad using it fulltime. You could build a good PC with that budget, but money may get tight when including that case and a new OS. Do you need to include windows in your budget? Keyboard/mouse/speakers?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

mari2222 wrote: »
    Perhaps a netbook would meet your needs? These can be bought for about €250 +.

I have had good experience to date with Dell PCs, also IBM.

The only 'Some gaming' he will be able to do on a netbook is minesweeper :pac:
    Monotype wrote: »
    Netbooks are good for light travelling, but the small keyboard and screen will drive you mad using it fulltime. You could build a good PC with that budget, but money may get tight when including that case and a new OS. Do you need to include windows in your budget? Keyboard/mouse/speakers?

No graphics card required though, so I reckon the budget it should be just about enough anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

Eh lads, not sure why people are mentioning netbooks as I have ZERO interest in them and I never mentioned them in my original post, I am looking at desktops ONLY:D

@ Monotype
    Here's what I do NOT need to include in my budget...

Monitor
    Mouse+Keyboard
    Speakers
    Operating System
    DVDRW Drive

I might keep these from my current system to save some cash...
    Powercolor HD4850 OC 1GB DDR3
    600Watt ARX Power Supply - might be worth investing in a new one meethinks:confused:

Is this a good or a bad idea?

marco_polo wrote: »
    No graphics card required though, so I reckon the budget it should be just about enough anyway.
    livEwirE wrote: »
    I might keep these from my current system to save some cash...
    Powercolor HD4850 OC 1GB DDR3
    600Watt ARX Power Supply - might be worth investing in a new one meethinks:confused:

Is this a good or a bad idea?

Good idea. Very possible with the graphs card, sorry I missed that.

143367.PNG

Postage is €30 so that's a bit over budget, but you can save some by shopping around. The 2500K is also out of stock. Komplett has them cheaper but are also out of stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Ebuyer.com still has a good few of the i5 2500k in stock.
    It's £185, so about €220.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/251596

Delivery with eBuyer is £10 added on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

don't use the old PSU, its ****ty

if the ankermann pc still goes, chuck in a crappy gpu card and sell it, it will have a decent cpu.. i am guessing core2duo e8400?

new pc - get the above, from komplett in ireland or hardwareversand.de

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Jonny7 wrote: »
    don't use the old PSU, its ****ty

if the ankermann pc still goes, chuck in a crappy gpu card and sell it, it will have a decent cpu.. i am guessing core2duo e8400?

new pc - get the above, from komplett in ireland or hardwareversand.de

its good to see people talking about komplette again i think the bad time,s are behind them and price,s are looking good just need more range of stock

massy086 wrote: »
    its good to see people talking about komplette again i think the bad time,s are behind them and price,s are looking good just need more range of stock

A much bigger selection is definitely warranted. The free postage means that it's viable to buy half your items there even if they don't have everything you want.
    The semi-alphabetical listing of categories is extremely irritating. Also, the scripting in the site since the changeover seems to only sort when it feels like it.

Advertisement