Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed through road at Rathbride Abbey

Options
  • 14-01-2011 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭

The Council has just published a proposal for a through road at Rathbride Abbey, Kildare Town that will link the Dunmurry and Rathbride roads (including access to the new school).

The plan is out for public consultation at the minute. You can read the details here and the deadline for submissions is Thursday February 24.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

Can't be any surprise in that Tony? Looks as if that was the plan all along?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Rathbride Ranger

From what I read Submissions are to be in before 12 noon on 11th March 2011? Which is it?
    Anyway not a welcome proposal for the residents of Rathbride Abbey, if its good for the town its bad for Rathbride Abbey. Why ? Because the towns loss of traffic is Rathbride Abbeys gain in traffic!

Also is it a good idea to be redirecting traffic away from the town, it has no passing trade as it is, redirect the school runs around the town and the traders can lock the doors!

Thumbs down!!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

Hmm, I don't see much benefit in this either especially as traffic lights are proposed (one only has to see the mess Kildare County Council has made of Rathbride Bridge at the train station). If the long term objective is to create a western-northern distributor road then this would not be the way to do it (by routing it haphhazardly through two housing estates).

It seems sad to say this but the I believe the less interference from Kildare County Council in Kildare Town the better. They should fix the existing roads first (which are in some places ripped apart to their foundations).

Another example of their wisdom is at Chapel Hill where there are potholes that would drown a horse. What did Kildare County Council do with it? They put in speed ramps. Tragic comedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 rathbridemum

I saw the notice at the entrance to the estate the other night, I am still in shock. I didn't think something like that would ever be proposed in a quiet estate. I previously left my last house because of a busy main road and chose a house in rathbride abbey for its off the beaten track safety, so my children could play on the green. I am not very educated in how these planning things work but was glad to see a leaflet come through the door this evening about an Action Group with a website set up www.rathbrideabbey.com, I did not know where to turn for support. I am all for progress in the town but this is a ridiculous idea

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

The more I think about it the more annoyed I get!!!

How is it that a road that has not been handed over to the council be used as a ring road?? Have the estates been handed over to the council?

If the estates are still in the control of the builder then surely the road is still in the control of the builder (I dare not mention the name of the builder for fear of giving the local residents nightmares)

Why is it that the proposal only has traffic calming measures on the new section?

And what fool in the council wants to take the existing cycle track off the footpath and put it on the road at the school end??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 rob223

Hi aodh_rua saw your post on this subject maybe you might be able to answer one query I have regarding this. Is there any plan to make a one way system around this area and make the two bridges at the train station one way?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭tcif

If the Council want a road to link the Dunmurray and Rathbride roads, let them acquire the land and build one. Cutting through two residential estates without any concern for the residents of those estates is appalling. I live in Rathbride Abbey and the change in traffic volumes will be enormous. Not to mention we've all seen what happens with rat-runs when non-residents cut through residential estates without any care for the residents, children etc.

I note on Tony O'Donnell's site that he and Suzanne Doyle recommend "completion of the link road through Rathbride Abbey be a matter of priority". I wonder how would he feel if it were cutting his estate? Certainly Fine Gael can kiss my vote goodbye for any upcoming election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

I'm glad to see this is getting some attention, and hopefully the opinions being expressed on both sides will see a good deal of submissions going into the Council. I think it is important that these issues get the full attention of the public, and I do try to do this - even where there are contrary views.

My own position has been in favour of such a road - as long as it does not create a dangerous 'rat run'. I was heavily lobbied during the local elections by the residents of Rathbride Abbey whose properties are closest to the rear boundary as they feel that completing this road will help to reduce the anti-social behaviour that they are experiencing.

One clear flaw I see in the plan as proposed is that the traffic calming etc. is only planned for the section of the road in the ownership of KCC, and none is indicated for the long straight stretch through Rathbride Abbey. As pointed out by a previous poster, this is due to the fact that the estate has not been taken-in-charge by KCC and as such they don't own or have responsibility for the road. I also think work needs to be done to protect the green area at the first right in the estate as this currently opens onto the roadway.

In terms of the merits of the road, as things stand the new school is going in at a poorly accessible location. It was supposed to be serviced by a new road network on the south green, which is unlikely to be built any time soon. Instead, access will only be possible via the contra-flowed bridge at the weighbridge. This doubles up as a commuter route to the station, and it floods regularly. The road through Rathbride Abbey is a logical alternative, and the way that the boundary has been left at the end of the current road shows that this was always a longterm plan. It also represents the best value for money for the taxpayer as it only requires a limited section of new road on Council land.

I would ask residents who feel that the road will adversely affect them to definitely make their feelings known, but if there is a constructive way of dealing with those concerns I hope people can be open to compromise.

"The road through Rathbride Abbey.....represents the best value for money for the taxpayer as it only requires a limited section of new road on Council land."

And there it is, in a nutshell. The cheapest way for the Co. Council to achieve their aim is to cut through our estate and let the residents of Rathbride pay the price.

Well that sums it up, its the cheapest solution, not necessarily the best solution but the cheapest for the tax payer! So Councillors you should give consideration to a couple of facts, the residents of Rathbride Abbey are tax payers, parents and least anyone forget VOTERS!

I see in the LAR 2002 that it is an objective of KCC that this Road will eventually link up with the Monasterevin Road on the southern side of Kildare! What volume of traffic will this attract to Rathbride Abbey!

Cheap, what value do you put on the road safety of a child, or the life of a child? Hmm and who will be responsible for any loss of life or injury on or around the road in Rathbride Abbey? KCC, the Builder or the residents! Cheap, OMG

• Advertisement

Well that sums it up, its the cheapest solution, not necessarily the best solution but the cheapest for the tax payer! So Councillors you should give consideration to a couple of facts, the residents of Rathbride Abbey are tax payers, parents and least anyone forget VOTERS!

I see in the LAR 2002 that it is an objective of KCC that this Road will eventually link up with the Monasterevin Road on the southern side of Kildare! What volume of traffic will this attract to Rathbride Abbey!

Cheap, what value do you put on the road safety of a child, or the life of a child? Hmm and who will be responsible for any loss of life or injury on or around the road in Rathbride Abbey? KCC, the Builder or the residents! Cheap, OMG

I think it is important to remember that nothing has been decided. The purpose of a public consultation is to ensure that all opinions and concerns are heard and you have your opportunity, but as I said there are residents in the estate who are very keen for this plan to go ahead.

I think there are very genuine road safety concerns, but I think there are ways of minimising and managing this.

As for the cost argument - resources are scarce at the moment, and even if this project is passed it does not follow that funds will be available for the completion of the work. However, the road through the estate does represent the most cost effective way of providing access to the Dunmurry Road. The other routes mentioned are alternatives, but I think they would be too expensive to make them practical in the current climate.

I have no doubt about the sincerity of your concerns, and I will be making many similar points in my submission but I think that overall a compromise should be possible to minimise your concerns while also providing an important piece of infrastructure for the community, especially for the children who will soon start to attend the new school.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

I'm not even from Rathbride Abbey and so would hope to have an objective viewpoint - this just seems like a terrible idea.

The fact that it's cheap should not override the many disadvantages. I certainly wouldn't like a road through my estate like that.

Where are the people in favour of this? I haven't heard from any of them yet?

If a ring-road is needed it should be on a green field site. Until the money is there to do that then nothing should be done. Simple as that.

What a find annoying is that the existing roads are falling apart while ill-sighted vanity projects like seem to be all the council is interested in.

aodh_rua wrote: »
    My own position has been in favour of such a road - as long as it does not create a dangerous 'rat run'.

It's what will happen........

"Cost effective" in the "current climate" is all very well. But in talking about what's best for the community and its children perhaps aodh_rua and others would like to bear in mind that the residents of Rathbride are part of this community and it's the quality of our lives and the safety of our children that's on the line here.

It may be financially expedient for KCC to take the road that runs through our estate, past our homes, and turn it into the Kildare by-pass. But that doesn't make it right or acceptable.

Somebody here asked about the rumours of the the two Railway Bridges going one way, has anybody answered this, did I miss something?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Irranek

I thought all residents were aware that this was in the pipeline and am really surprised to see that many didn't know at all. When I bought my house in 2006 I was informed by the estate agent that that was the plan. It is also obvious from the layout of the estate and the unfinished road that something like this was going to happen.

If this does go ahead the entire road must be handed over to the council for upkeep and implementation of safety provisions, particularly for reducing speed through the area. I am not happy with the current safety proposals of some bends and screening (whatever that is). The current surface on the main road through the estate is very bad - it is extremly slippy in icy and wet conditions (even more so than the public road) and will have to be redone. Exiting the estate while turning right towards the town is hazardous due to a tree blocking the view of traffic incoming from the left.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 Wizard72

. .

It also represents the best value for money for the taxpayer as it only requires a limited section of new road on Council land.

I would ask residents who feel that the road will adversely affect them to definitely make their feelings known, but if there is a constructive way of dealing with those concerns I hope people can be open to compromise.
    Give me a break - :confused: I'm disgusted on this whole proposal -I've been living in Rathbride for 8 years- Its madness - its going to create a massive amount of traffic through our estate how ever we look at it (open mind or not) .

I've lived in towns that have had major bypasses & one way systems developed under some mad notion that it is going to allow for some greater good / when it comes to the traffic time & motion study- its simple - IT DOESN'T HELP -All it does is creates runways for boy racers & more anti social behavior.

I will give you a 'cost efficient alternative' for the unfinished road at the end of the estate - I will pay & fund for a 10ft wall to be built across it diagonally - that way there's no cost to anyone!

Can I also ask - whats there to 'compromise' about - I for one do not want to entertain any road development in the estate - Am I on my own ??

Wizard72

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 Wizard72

How can you compromise on this road? What a stupid thing to suggest.. I live right beside this proposed through road and I have two young children. How can you compromise on the lives of young children? We have too many young children living and playing in our estate to open such a busy road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Mum2007

My own position has been in favour of such a road - as long as it does not create a dangerous 'rat run'. I was heavily lobbied during the local elections by the residents of Rathbride Abbey whose properties are closest to the rear boundary as they feel that completing this road will help to reduce the anti-social behaviour that they are experiencing.

The road through Rathbride Abbey is a logical alternative, and the way that the boundary has been left at the end of the current road shows that this was always a longterm plan.

It also represents the best value for money for the taxpayer as it only requires a limited section of new road on Council land.

From reading your posts Aodh Rua I can safely say you are NOT a resident of Rathbride Abbey, because if you were you wouldn't see a through road and putting young children lives at risk each day a 'logical alternative'.

I live right next to this proposed through road and with no through road at present we still have unfortunately EVERY single day boy racers racing at speed up and down that road, so I can only dread how worse it's going to get when the road opens. The residents have complained to the Garda for years now about the speed of the cars on this road and that it's only a matter of time before a young child gets seriously injured crossing the road. No amount of signs or ramps will curb this anti social behaviour in our estate and putting a through road will only make it so much worse.

Value for money???? How can you put a value on a life of a young child? These children live and play in this estate. I want to know that when my child plays in or outside our front garden they will be safe. I am an end house so my front garden is right next to this road, this will no longer be safe for my children to play.

I for one am totally against this terrible idea.

End of the day folks if 500 people drive their kids to school on this road that will be 2000 cars A DAY!!!!!!! And that's not counting the diverted traffic that will be forced through an estate that THE COUNCIL DO NOT OWN/CONTROL!!!!! I have contacted the council many times about the way the builder has left the area around the pump house any the answer I always get is and I quote "This estate has not been taken in charge and is still the responsibility of the builder" so can someone please tell me how if this is the case can the council force public traffic through our estate and split it in two??????? And will it be the case that if they go ahead with this that they will only maintain the section that they install??? Now come on folks they don't maintain the roads as it is they won't maintain the section that the builder did, and to be honest the build quality of the houses from foundation to roof is very very poor so I very much doubt the quality of the road is much better!!!!!! Have a long hard think about this project before you support it and regret it in the future

• Advertisement

Wizard72 wrote: »
    I will pay & fund for a 10ft wall to be built across it diagonally - that way there's no cost to anyone!

Can I also ask - whats there to 'compromise' about - I for one do not want to entertain any road development in the estate - Am I on my own ??

Wizard72

Well if it came to a wall, I'd chip in on the costs but seriously, it does raise the question of what our legal rights regarding the road are. It is not in the control of KCC so have we, the residents, any rights/leverage with the builder? To be honest, I don't really know how this works but maybe we need to find out.

I also agree with the comment on compromise. No. No compromise. No road. But if we want to stop it, we need to get ourselves organized in numbers and make our opinions heard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 DUNMURRAYMUM

I LIVE IN DUNMURRAY RISE AND DO NOT AGREE WITH THE THROUGH ROAD THIS IS A VERY QUIET ESTATE AND THE LAST THING WE NEED IS TRAFFIC SPEEDING THROUGH HERE DAY AND NIGHT PUTTING THE LIVES OF OUR CHILDREN IN DANGER WE FEEL THAT BECAUSE THIS IS A COUNCIL ESTATE WE HAVE NO VOICE AND THE COUNCIL CAN DO WHAT THEY WANT WELL WE HAVE A VOICE
    AND A VOTE BOTH OF WHICH WE WILL USE

... WE HAVE A VOICE....

On the subject of having a voice, a meeting for residents of the area's which would be affected by this development has been arranged for Jan 27th (details are posted at http://www.rathbrideabbey.com/update.php ) . I'm not organizing it, but I'm aware of it and intend to go and I think it would be great if as many of my fellow residents as possible could attend. A strong collective voice will be the best way to represent our position and be heard.

Hello, Oneway system? Anybody got the answer to this? It is a simple question, does anybody know if it is true that all traffic is going to either have to enter the town or exit the town using the Rathbride Freeway! Well it is a freeway because its costing the Council nothing, they are just taking it, so its a FREE WAY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Mum2007

Hello, Oneway system? Anybody got the answer to this? It is a simple question, does anybody know if it is true that all traffic is going to either have to enter the town or exit the town using the Rathbride Freeway! Well it is a freeway because its costing the Council nothing, there are just taking it!

Yes I was told this also. Both bridges either end of the train station will be one way to allow for free flow of traffic. Both bridges would not be able to accommodate a 2 way system to the heavy volume of traffic expected to be traveling to the new seconding school when it opens. So they were making the whole ring road one way and removing traffic lights. Sounds good in theory but ludicrous to put the through road through a quiet residential estate. Again KCC making a botch job of things and then coming up with quick easy fix-it solutions that are not thought through. I was also told that Rathbride Abbey will be made one way too. Just Crazy!

Mum2007

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Irranek

Hello, Oneway system? Anybody got the answer to this? It is a simple question, does anybody know if it is true that all traffic is going to either have to enter the town or exit the town using the Rathbride Freeway! Well it is a freeway because its costing the Council nothing, they are just taking it, so its a FREE WAY!

I think Aodh Rua would be be the best to advise on this. Changes of this nature would surely be included in the Kildare Town traffic management plan.

Just saw an interesting update on the updates page of rathbrideabbey.com . Councillors seem to have double standards to me!

Mum2007 wrote: »
    Yes I was told this also. Both bridges either end of the train station will be one way to allow for free flow of traffic. Both bridges would not be able to accommodate a 2 way system to the heavy volume of traffic expected to be traveling to the new seconding school when it opens. So they were making the whole ring road one way and removing traffic lights. Sounds good in theory but ludicrous to put the through road through a quiet residential estate. Again KCC making a botch job of things and then coming up with quick easy fix-it solutions that are not thought through. I was also told that Rathbride Abbey will be made one way too. Just Crazy!

Mum2007

There is no plan for a one-way system at the moment, and I certainly haven't seen any proposal from the Council. The traffic management plan prepared by KCC didn't even cover this side of the town.

Just saw an interesting update on the updates page of rathbrideabbey.com . Councillors seem to have double standards to me!

On mature reflection........

• Advertisement

Irish Fire wrote: »
    On mature reflection........

I don't think that's fair, and I would challenge anybody to show where I have held double standards.

I've always been of the opinion that any attempt to open up link roads should include traffic calming. The motion about the Rathbride road was the result of requests from the residents of the estate and I am sure you would all agree that it reflects a general feeling in the area. Cllr Doyle's motion included a request for a report on the Council's plans for a distributor road through Rathbride Abbey. I was happy to support the preparation of such a plan for the reasons I stated above. Given that the plan was only published this month, I think it is a gross distortion to say that it automatically follows that I support a plan with no traffic calming for Rathbride Abbey.

I think the lack of traffic calming on the Rathbride side of the proposed road is a fundamental flaw with the plan as it currently stands, and I have said that to the residents of Rathbride Abbey that I have spoken to. I think the Council did not include any provision for this as the entire estate is not in their charge, but this needs to be addressed urgently.

In terms of the accessibility report, as I recall this was an exercise carried out by the local accessibility group in the town and it focussed on how disabled people can make their way around the town. It tried to find a safe route from the health centre on the Tully road to the Tús Nua centre on the Dublin Road.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement