Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed through road at Rathbride Abbey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

tcif wrote: »
    Looking at the Minutes section of the Council site, for Kildare town meetings, I could find minutes for 2010 only, and then only Jan, Feb,Mar,Apr,Jun and Jul. The first, and only, mention of Rathbride and a road is in the July minutes and is

"Could the committee have a progress report on the TMP for Kildare town and the completion of the connector road between Rathbride Road and Dunmurray Road?"

Asking for a progress report says this was already in motion and I would like to see the minutes of the previous meetings where this was proposed and discussed. Does anyone know where these may be? Aodh_rua??

Noticed that myself..... God only knows what story will be spun there.....

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭tcif

Irish Fire wrote: »
    Noticed that myself..... God only knows what story will be spun there.....

Surely they're a matter of public record and we're entitled to them...

tcif wrote: »
    Surely they're a matter of public record and we're entitled to them...

No surely about it........ Although Tony's on line at the moment so I'm sure we'll have an answer soon.......

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭tcif

Irish Fire wrote: »
    No surely about it........ Although Tony's on line at the moment so I'm sure we'll have an answer soon.......

I've done a little digging and according to Section 6 of the Local Govt Act, local authorities are obliged to keep minutes of all meetings and make them available for public inspection at the principal local authority offices. If they're available online or if Tony can furnish us with copies, all the better. If he can't it would be very helpful to know which meetings minutes I would need to request from KCC offices. Failing that, the dates of all meetings within, say, the last two years. I see no reason why any local councillor would not facilitate us in acquiring the minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Rathbride Ranger

Maybe the committee "Rathbride Action Group"should contact the meetings administrator at KCC, I googled that and it looks like its Charlie Talbot ,I am begining to think Charlie Talbot is KCC! I am sure if the minutes are there Charlie would facilitate us. Why Not?

• Advertisement

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gopetition.com%2Fpetition%2F42390.html&h=89562

Hi Folks, This is a petition that has been set up, we would be greatful if you could sign and show your support it. We will be doing a lot more than just this petition and, we will be updating on www.rathbrideabbey.com

This is a major waste of YOUR MONEY!!! Think about it it's a "yellow pack" compromise to what will become a major problem in the future!!!! The country is crying out because our Government is wasting money and has destroyed our country, don't forget the councils are funded by the Government and no one seems to be asking the councils where the money is gone.......

Look at the crib for the square for example.... €20,000 for a crib, used twice!!!! where is it?? Are we paying for storage?? What money waster came up with the idea... A local councillor!!! And not a word has been said, it's a bloody disgrace!!!!! (is this our e voting machines project??)

We need to get rid of the two councillors in this town!!!!

Correct me if I’m wrong here…. It is my belief that a councillor is a representative elected by the majority people to speak for and represent the voice of the majority of the people on council proposals and strategies etc….

Is it therefore not the case that if the majority of the people have an opinion and a view that the said elected representatives should side with and speak for the people on an issue and not automatically take the view and or side of the council, and if this is not the case why do we have elected representatives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 NotStupid

As a resident of Rathbride Abbey under the age of 18 what I say wont have a large amount of impact on how people feel about the proposed road through my estate, and most definitely won't have an impact on Tony/Suzanne because really they couldnt care less about me...I can't vote!

For everyone who thinks that this road will stop anti-social behaviour I can promise you it wont.
    I can rattle off every persons name who walks through our estate with golf-clubs and soccer balls destroying signs and trees, and I know for a fact a road won't stop them....For Gods sake if they will do it in the middle of Kildare town, they'll do it in our estate regardless of whether or not the road is there!

Im also bright enough to pick up on the fact that Tony couldnt care less where that road goes, cause he's fine, its not going through his estate! So basically Tony, if they road isnt such a big deal then why dont you put it through your estate!? Yours is only half a mile away from mine!

And personally I dont see the reason for the road, when it's possible to get around to Dunmurry Road by other routes! But basically this road is going to become what essentially Ireland is best at doing... Planning a mess!

NotStupid wrote: »
    As a resident of Rathbride Abbey under the age of 18

For everyone who thinks that this road will stop anti-social behaviour I can promise you it wont.
    I can rattle off every persons name who walks through our estate with golf-clubs and soccer balls destroying signs and trees, and I know for a fact a road won't stop them....For Gods sake if they will do it in the middle of Kildare town, they'll do it in our estate regardless of whether or not the road is there!

And personally I dont see the reason for the road, when it's possible to get around to Dunmurry Road by other routes! But basically this road is going to become what essentially Ireland is best at doing... Planning a mess!

Well folks if what it legally a chid in this country of ours can see this that says it all.... Out of the mouths of babes.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

I think it is unfair to claim that I don't care about where this road goes, or that I am somehow deaf to the issues that have been raised. I started this thread to raise awareness, and I think some valid issues have been identified and I will take them up with KCC. I have also tried to answer any specific questions that have come up to the best of my ability. I have also offered to meet the action group, as ultimately the only way that the residents issues will be heard is by meeting with the councillors - hopefully this meeting will take place and give you an opportunity to put your issues to me directly.

If any of you know me personally, you will know that I try to be straight, reasonable and rational about the issues that come up. If my own estate was a better route for the road, then I would be working on getting the best version of it for the immediate surrounds and the wider community. However, I don't think anyone would claim it is a better alternative from an engineering perspective.

• Advertisement

Tony, In the interest of fairness why not look at all the options, and there are other options! Lets look at them now, before a residential area is ruined forever|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rathbride resident

NotStupid wrote: »
    As a resident of Rathbride Abbey under the age of 18 what I say wont have a large amount of impact on how people feel about the proposed road through my estate, and most definitely won't have an impact on Tony/Suzanne because really they couldnt care less about me...I can't vote!

Im also bright enough to pick up on the fact that Tony couldnt care less where that road goes, cause he's fine, its not going through his estate! So basically Tony, if they road isnt such a big deal then why dont you put it through your estate!? Yours is only half a mile away from mine!

Very well put! And to think you are under 18, you talk more sense than most of our councillors!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rathbride resident

I see the Dalai Lama is coming to Dara Park, Kildare Town on April 14 this year!.. Maybe he can give our councillors some guidance, God knows they need it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Mum2007

Hi All,

Please click on the link below and sign the petition.

http://www.gopetition.com/petition/42390/signatures.html

You decide guys, read the article, just goes to show that submissions can help and the deciding factor in this case was that the local area council, our area council did not want to turn college park into a rat run! The irony of it. Read the link and see what side you think Tony is on!
    http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/Plan-to-make-Eyre-St.6444421.jp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

You decide guys, read the article, just goes to show that submissions can help and the deciding factor in this case was that the local area council, our area council did not want to turn college park into a rat run! The irony of it. Read the link and see what side you think Tony is on!
    http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/Plan-to-make-Eyre-St.6444421.jp

I think it's important to note that the article is from July 2010 in case anybody thinks it is current.

I have been very open about the fact that I made requests to the Council via the area committee for a proposal to be drawn up and costed, and that this was in response to the anti-social behaviour issues raised with me on the doorstep and the need to access the school. I have also been very clear that the plan that KCC ultimately prepared is not viable and poses safety issues.

Tony,

All of the people that read the posts here are educated and are capable of reading a newspaper article and verifying the date of the paper for themselves, so I find it as I am sure other readers do, condescending that you feel it necessary to clarify the date of the article.

But my compliments, you propose that plans be prepared in July 2010 and hey presto plans are drawn in Sept 2010, that’s a good result for you Tony, Well what about the residents in Rathbride Abbey that you represent the ones that voted for you apart from the one maybe two that spoke to you about anti social behaviour when are you going to represent our interests, when are you going to get a result for us?

Your like an arsonist, you start the fire and then you come back to the scene to stand in the wings and watch it burn, and when you are standing in the ashes you will say this should not have been let happen, too late then Tony, like I said at the start we are all educated.

Finally when are our two local Cllrs going to say exactly what they mean or mean exactly what they say?

You proposed plans be drawn up Tony, you and Cllr Doyle, when will you be man enough to come out and openly admit it without the caveat that it was not the plan that you envisaged?

aodh_rua wrote: »
    I think it's important to note that the article is from July 2010 in case anybody thinks it is current.

I have been very open about the fact that I made requests to the Council via the area committee for a proposal to be drawn up and costed, and that this was in response to the anti-social behaviour issues raised with me on the doorstep and the need to access the school. I have also been very clear that the plan that KCC ultimately prepared is not viable and poses safety issues.

Typical!!!!!

Cart before the horse...... And where were the councillors during the planning process for the school?? Am I right in thinking that this is yet another cock up by not only the council but our elected councillors???

YOU HAVEN'T A BLOODY CLUE!!!!!

And how dare you insult people by trying to tell them that the road will solve their problem.

In the name of Christ WHO in their right mind thinks running a bloody road through the middle of a housing estate is going to stop anti social behaviour.... What's going to happen?? The cars and trucks are going to run these little scum bags down?? Hopefully when they do the cars and trucks will be heading towards the graveyard and at least push them in the right direction...... Get a grip!!!

Not only that but it's the councillors that are pushing this as the road to the school NOT the council, WHERE in the current proposal is the school mentioned? And don't come back with "well is obvious" You seem to forget it's a temporary entrance, is the road going to be closed when the 3 year permission runs out?? I think not, you can be sure that the councillors will push through a motion that the entrance be left as is.

Get you head out of your rear end!!!!

Jesus even Gaddafi wouldn't support a move like this!!!!!

And NO I'm NOT having a bad day!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Pax Vobiscum

Simple question:
    How many people on this thread will actually have a child/children going to the new community school? A Rathbride Abbey resident who is just wondering...

I hope that if the link road does not go on, there will at least be something done for pedestrians and maybe bicycles so that students who are on this side of Kildare Town can access the secondary school without having to walk or cycle all around the Town or having to be collected every day from school. Hope this request is not too daring?

• Advertisement

Simple question:
    How many people on this thread will actually have a child/children going to the new community school? A Rathbride Abbey resident who is just wondering...

I would like to think that all of us who have children will decide where to send our children on the basis of what is best for the child, provided of course one of them is not injured or even killed on the link road. Are you suggesting that because we have the benefit of a new school that we should make a calculated gamble with our childs life and safety in the belief that the benefit of the school far out weighs the risk of losing or harming just one child on the new road? Maybe you might like to clarify your question because if that is what you are suggesting its time for you to go back asleep.

Now Rathbride Ranger. No need to be so aggressive. I do not particularly want to have a link road going accross the estate and to put children's life at risk as you are mentioning in your post. However, it would bother me (and others too) if there were no access at all to the new school from this side of the town. Indeed one of my children will be going to this school very soon and I would be happy if he could use a footpath or a bicylce path to and from it and thus be more independent.

As far as the choice of school is concerned, I was asking the question because if your child/children is/are not going to the community school, the lack of access to it won't affect you... I do not care which school you are choosing for your children as this is really a personal decision...

Last question: What alternative do you offer to the KCC plan? I understand you can be terribly worried about your children's safety with the link road and want to express your anger on this forum but I believe it would be more constructive to give other options to the plan instead of getting annoyed with forumers. If you already did so on another page or site, I would be really happy to consult it.

Have a good night and...Pax Vobiscum

Simple question:

I think you need to clarify what you mean by this question.

Am I assume what you mean by your comment is that it would be good for the area?

And to be honest from what I can see it’s about a 50/50 split, a lot of children currently go to other primary schools outside the town, by this I mean Milltown and the irish school on the green road in Newbridge etc… taking this into account it would mean that these children will not be going to the new school, although the secondary irish school is moving back to the town in the near future.

We are objecting to this proposal on the grounds of the volume of potential traffic that will be funnelled on to the road especially if the local councillors push through the one way system and if they make the road at the train station a cul de sac. This including the future development of the lands around the school could potentially have 10,000 – 15,000 vehicles a day on this road and this is completely unacceptable when there are other more beneficial existing routes that could be used, please also don’t forget that the current entrance to the school has only been granted on a temporary basis so therefore it is not a good route for the link road as is will become dormant in approximately 2 years.

We as a group have put endless hours of research into this proposal and have proven on several grounds that it is unacceptable and by the admission of some local councillors is completely unsafe.

Please don’t think that I am “having a go” at you, I not but I feel that several points have been missed on this forum and also the representation that the road is for the school when it is very obvious when you read the minutes from several councillor meetings that there is another motive for this road, this is to help with the proposed one way system for the town that will ruin the town. To be honest the school in its current format is too small anyway. When the school opens there are 600 – 700 pupils to take classes and if the proposed development behind is to come to fruition the school won’t take the children in that development alone let alone what the town currently has. Yet another cock up by K.C.C. allowing planning permission for a building that will in 10 years be too small for its requirement. The school should have been built where it was supposed to be built in the first place. This wonderful town of ours is being ruined by a small majority of fools on their own little quests and it is time we as residents said enough is enough!!!!

Now Rathbride Ranger. No need to be so aggressive. I

When you come out of the coma you are in you might help both I and the other forum users and explain where the aggression lies in my earlier post, was it the colour of the text that made you think I was being aggressive? Lol. Quiet frankly I am at a loss as to know how you think I was aggressive, you have just woken up havent you, this thread is 3 weeks old and we only hear from you now! haha.

Well you know I have loads of ideas as to where the road should go, but I would have thought that you my learned friend would understand that the place to suggest alternatives is not on boards.ie but in your submission, I assume you are doing one! We'll see who you are then!

And peace be with you too. (the latin was a nice touch)

You know in scotland they say "fairplay is bonnie play"

The Ranger

Irish Fire. Thank you for your last post and the clarifications you are giving in it. I do not want a new link road going through the estate but some form of access (footpath and bicycle path) for the students to go to and come back from the new school. Of course it would be wrong to have so much traffic going through Rathbride Abbey causing lots of trouble and risks for the residents. I salute all the work you have put into your action group and hope that a satisfactory solution will be found.

Have a good evening. Pax Vobiscum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 NotStupid

Now Rathbride Ranger. No need to be so aggressive. I do not particularly want to have a link road going accross the estate and to put children's life at risk as you are mentioning in your post. However, it would bother me (and others too) if there were no access at all to the new school from this side of the town. Indeed one of my children will be going to this school very soon and I would be happy if he could use a footpath or a bicylce path to and from it and thus be more independent.

As far as the choice of school is concerned, I was asking the question because if your child/children is/are not going to the community school, the lack of access to it won't affect you... I do not care which school you are choosing for your children as this is really a personal decision...

Last question: What alternative do you offer to the KCC plan? I understand you can be terribly worried about your children's safety with the link road and want to express your anger on this forum but I believe it would be more constructive to give other options to the plan instead of getting annoyed with forumers. If you already did so on another page or site, I would be really happy to consult it.

Have a good night and...Pax Vobiscum

My sister will be going to school (hopefully) for her third year of school! Im finishing mine this year, thank God!
    I understand why people who have kids going to the school may want the road, but you can have a pathway to the school without the need for a road.
    And in all fairness, Im sure your son is well capable of walking to the school by other means, I do it with my school everyday. Im honestly not trying to be smart or aggressive or rude but like I dont think being capable of walking 10 minutes across the road requires any kind of independence?

The road is not going to work out! The school is in general is not going to work out, cause (and I dont want to point fingers or anything, or insult anyone) but a brown envelope job. Theres no way that Dumurry Road can hold that much means of transport! And has anyone checked to make sure that buses can fit under the bridge? Because Im sure the Nurney people will be pretty annoyed if it doesnt!

The road may not affect you, but honestly it will affect me. I find it hard enough to sleep as it is as my bedroom window is directly on the road. If it gets made into a main road Im screwed! Honestly I think everyone needs to listen to everyones opinion.
    Sure the road will cut 5 minutes out of that horrible 20 minute walk around! But is it seriously worth me not sleeping and a child, like my little brother getting knocked over? I dont think so but each to their own I guess...

And yes, my sleep is THAT important to me!
    And can everyone stop using coloured print! Is insanely annoying..We're not on Bebo!

Rathbride Ranger, I've just had a nice snooze so now I have the energy to answer your last post. Yes, I found the red colour a bit agressive but also your tone...Did you like the calming green colour of my post? :D

This is not because I am not writing daily posts on this forum that I am not interested in what is happening in this estate and this town. And I have been busy with a few sick kids lately (flu)...

Oh by the way is there not a saying that speech is silver but silence is gold?

Am happy the Pax Vobiscum brings you joy!

Have a good evening! P.V.

Irish Fire. Thank you for your last post and the clarifications you are giving in it. I do not want a new link road going through the estate but some form of access (footpath and bicycle path) for the students to go to and come back from the new school. Of course it would be wrong to have so much traffic going through Rathbride Abbey causing lots of trouble and risks for the residents. I salute all the work you have put into your action group and hope that a satisfactory solution will be found.

Have a good evening. Pax Vobiscum.

Just to also clarify there are other suggested routes but, by the admission of the local councillors the current proposed route is the “most cost effective”. While I do agree with you on the issue of access for children etc… this is only a temporary entrance and if you look at the plans for the school the entrance is on the opposite side to its current location, so you may have a problem in the future with this now that’s not to say that a future application to retain the current entrance may be lodged. While in theory a cycle track and foot path is a good idea my biggest fear is that this would have the potential to be a source of anti social behaviour

I take it you speak Latin, and forgive me if I get this wrong (long time since I was in school........

Pax vobis quoque

NotStupid, my boys often walk home from the boys school and I think this is good for them. All I am asking for is a passage for pedestrian and bicycles to go to the school. Not a link road. Next year I will have my 3 kids going to 3 different schools this is why I would appreciate a path to the new school so that my eldest can be independent.

I understand your concerns and I would really not appreciate to be woken up by mad drivers. I am sorry you already have to put up with such a nuisance. And I do not want anyone to be put in danger by a link road.

I wish you good luck with your leaving cert. And thank you for your post which is very sensible.

Have a good evening. P.V.

• Advertisement

Irish Fire I salute all the work you have put into your action group and hope that a satisfactory solution will be found.

Pax Vobiscum, I also must salute Irish Fire and I am glad you and I can at least agree on that score.

He is to be admired and I think he deserves the support of everybody in Rathbride Abbey, if this road does go ahead let it be only the road that divides us in the wake of the bulldozers!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement