Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed through road at Rathbride Abbey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

Pax Vobiscum, I also must salute Irish Fire and I am glad you and I can at least agree on that score.

He is to be admired and I think he deserves the support of everybody in Rathbride Abbey, if this road does go ahead let it be only the road that divides us in the wake of the bulldoozers!

There's only one "o" in bulldozer....... :)

Hi All,

Time's running out for your submissions. Don't forget to lodge them........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Hopefully I got to talk to some of you last night while we were canvassing the estate.

Some of the comments on this thread have been quite critical of me, however this was not reflected last night when I met people face-to-face. I have tried to be as open as possible about my actions regarding the road, and I think that anyone who is involved with the committee or who has met me in person to discuss the proposal would agree. I know that public representatives will always come in for flak, but I would ask posters to look at my record or talk to the committee before launching anonymous attacks.

As a general update, I've been meeting with the action committee regularly over the last few weeks, and I'm hopeful that we can find a result that will be good for the residents. I also brought my colleague Cllr Martin Heydon down to meet the committee.As I have said to the group, and at the meetings - I believe the plan produced by KCC is not viable.

The action group had a very long productive meeting with KCC last week, and I think the officials were impressed by the level of preparation and research done by the group. This will have certainly enhance the reception that their submission will get.

If any of you would like to meet me about these discussions, I would be happy to pop over to you - just drop me a PM.

aodh_rua wrote: »
    Hopefully I got to talk to some of you last night while we were canvassing the estate.

Some of the comments on this thread have been quite critical of me, however this was not reflected last night when I met people face-to-face. I have tried to be as open as possible about my actions regarding the road, and I think that anyone who is involved with the committee or who has met me in person to discuss the proposal would agree. I know that public representatives will always come in for flak, but I would ask posters to look at my record or talk to the committee before launching anonymous attacks.

As a general update, I've been meeting with the action committee regularly over the last few weeks, and I'm hopeful that we can find a result that will be good for the residents. I also brought my colleague Cllr Martin Heydon down to meet the committee.As I have said to the group, and at the meetings - I believe the plan produced by KCC is not viable.

The action group had a very long productive meeting with KCC last week, and I think the officials were impressed by the level of preparation and research done by the group. This will have certainly enhance the reception that their submission will get.

If any of you would like to meet me about these discussions, I would be happy to pop over to you - just drop me a PM.

Aodh Rua firstly if it seems that I have launched a personal attack on you I apologise as I didn’t intend to do this, we as a group have very strong feelings on this issue and personal attacks on you certainly on my part were not intended.

To be fair it has to be said that Aodh Rua and other representatives have given advice guidance and support to the committee over the last few weeks and for this they have to be thanked.

The meeting with the council while as Aodh Rua said was long, it was very productive, certainly they were very interested in the view point of the residents and they have taken all our points on board and once the road as it stands is rejected by the councillors they will liaise with the committee on the best way forward for all.

I personally admire most of the people of our community who have the guts to put their heads above the parapet and stand for election and as you have said public representatives will always come in for flak but, in this case certain public representatives I feel have been less active in showing support for the residents on this issue and deserve the flak and to be honest I feel have their own agenda and or crusade and I can only say that when the next council elections come around this issue will be raised with them by me and other residents will raise this issue as well, and the “lack of votes arrow” will strike…….

Again I would like to thank Aodh Rua and the other representatives (Martin, Paddy, Seán P. Jack etc…) that have met with us on several occasions and, in certain circumstances what seemed like the drop of a hat.

Thanks Irish Fire - we're all part of the same community, and I know there are times when emotions run high, but hopefully we all want what is best for our families and neighbours.

From my side, I really have to say that the attitude and approach of the residents of Rathbride Abbey has been all that any community could hope for. I have been hugely impressed by the way that the residents have come together to make sure their voice was heard, and to make reasoned and informed criticisms of the plan.

Hopefully one of the positive outcomes of this experience will be a galvanised community spirit across the estate.

• Advertisement

Thanks Irish Fire - we're all part of the same community, and I know there are times when emotions run high, but hopefully we all want what is best for our families and neighbours.

From my side, I really have to say that the attitude and approach of the residents of Rathbride Abbey has been all that any community could hope for. I have been hugely impressed by the way that the residents have come together to make sure their voice was heard, and to make reasoned and informed criticisms of the plan.

Hopefully one of the positive outcomes of this experience will be a galvanised community spirit across the estate.

I have to agree with you on the showing of strength of the residents of Rathbride Abbey.
    I would hope that as a group the residents stick together and form a community to even on simple terms keep the area tidy and make us all proud to live here.

I would like to see a time when we all know each other even if it’s only a persons name, this may seem like a simple thing. The communal bond is the biggest thing that Ireland has lost over the last ten years or so. This is the thing that I feel forms a secure and safe area, gone are the days when people looked out for each other and this is one of the things that will help Ireland out of this current situation, we became so materialistic and absorbed in our own little worlds and forgot about everyone else around us. If we can start to form this communal bond it will if nothing else make us grow a town that we can be proud to live in……..

Am I dreaming??

Don't forget that Friday at noon is the deadline for your submissions on the proposed link road.

I've just sent mine through and posted on my website - here.

Don't forget that Friday at noon is the deadline for your submissions on the proposed link road.

I've just sent mine through and posted on my website - here.

Thanks for that Tony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bright Beg

Cllr Suzanne Doyle resigned as an owner of Bright Beginnings Creche in May, 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Rathbride Ranger

Bright Beg wrote: »
    Cllr Suzanne Doyle resigned as an owner of Bright Beginnings Creche in May, 2010.

Did she resign as a director or a shareholder? Surely one would expect, giving consideration to the expected value of the shareholding to see evidence of either a mortgage or debenture recorded for such a transaction, also what are the CGT implications here? Hopefully all is in order!

• Advertisement

Well Folks the submissions day has now passed and all we can do now is hope that things go in our favour..........

Hi Folks,

Here the submission lodged by the action group:

http://www.rathbrideabbey.com/rag-submission.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Rathbride Ranger

It's a little bit funny!!!!!!!!!!!

Just noticed that the legal firm matheson ormsby prentice representing the Macquarie Partnership, the firm building the new school signed off on the deal on the 2nd June 2010, thats the very same day Cllr Doyle resigned as director (not owner) of Bright Beginnings, Why would she do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Kildare Resident

Hi,

My first time on here, I spoke to a friend in the council today and they said that the council are going to talk to the action group about the residents needs on the road issue. Is this true?

Hi,

My first time on here, I spoke to a friend in the council today and they said that the council are going to talk to the action group about the residents needs on the road issue. Is this true?

Hi Kildare Resident,

Sorry for the delay in posting I have made contact with K.C.C. and as soon I have confirmation on this I will post again.

If possible could you p.m. me the details of the person you heard this from.

Thank You

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 Wizard72

Irish Fire wrote: »
    Hi Kildare Resident,

Sorry for the delay in posting I have made contact with K.C.C. and as soon I have confirmation on this I will post again.

If possible could you p.m. me the details of the person you heard this from.

Thank You

To state the obvious To All' on this forum I'm watching from afar & my opinion is http://www.rathbrideabbey.com/update.php is the "Burning Bush" when it comes to all true correspondence/updates on this issue ?

Lets leave it to the appointed Rathbride Abbey Residents to get regular updates & true feedback on what is happening with regards to communication networking with the KCC - I'm sure Ill read about what was the latest .

Wizard72

Wizard72 wrote: »
    To state the obvious To All' on this forum I'm watching from afar & my opinion is http://www.rathbrideabbey.com/update.php is the "Burning Bush" when it comes to all true correspondence/updates on this issue ?

Lets leave it to the appointed Rathbride Abbey Residents to get regular updates & true feedback on what is happening with regards to communication networking with the KCC - I'm sure Ill read about what was the latest .

Wizard72

I don’t think anyone on this forum thread would disagree with you the main source for information is the website.

But you have to understand the question posed was asked on this forum and yes while forum members may be redirected to elsewhere, politeness would indicate that a question posed on the forum be answered on the forum and not elsewhere.

By way of an update - I spoke to the Transportation Department on Monday, and they confirmed that they expect to provide a report on the submissions received at the May Kildare Area Committee Meeting (Wed 18 at 10am). They are not currently talking to anyone about an alternative route, but they are very keen to find a compromise that addresses the residents' concerns, but still enables access to the new school.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Kildare Resident

Nice to see that this issue has not been forgotten about.

Just on another point, I note one comment of "watching from afar" it is very hard to believe a comment like that when one reads through the posts several people are very vocal in their opposition to the proposal. And the "attempted" public berating of several individuals, (both public representatives and private individuals) a tad unfair, jumping up and down in this way would also surely indicate that people are less than truthful about "watching from afar" when in an earlier comment they point out that they are living in the estate for 8 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Mum2007

Just on another point, I note one comment of "watching from afar" it is very hard to believe a comment like that when one reads through the posts several people are very vocal in their opposition to the proposal. And the "attempted" public berating of several individuals, (both public representatives and private individuals) a tad unfair, jumping up and down in this way would also surely indicate that people are less than truthful about "watching from afar" when in an earlier comment they point out that they are living in the estate for 8 years.

I don't see how wizard72 is being in your words 'less then truthful' for stating they are watching this thread from afar?. I think I have seen about 3 comments from wizard72 out of the hundreds of post's on this thread, over the last 4 months. No where did I read in the 3 comments they were berating public figures and being unfair, just merely stating a point.

To be fair, I think you are being a tad bit dramatic!

• Advertisement

Just a quick update on the through road - KCC have confirmed to me that the through road will not be presented to the May area meeting. The Council feel that some of the issues raised in the public consultation require some detailed survey data - and as the schools have been on Easter break recently, they will not have this to hand for the May meeting.

I have updated the Action Group, and once I have a draft to hand I will be in touch with them again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 Wizard72

Local Area Plan Kildare

:confused:According to the latest report from R.A.G. the KCC are going against its own charter - from what I read on the Website it plans to bulldoze through with its road plans regardless -with no consultation with the Residents - & to top it off KCC have been 'shirking on what the real plan was ie - the Rathbride Abbey proposal had nothing to do with the school access it was to alleviate traffic to the town all along / they threw a curve ball at the residents stating that the school needed access / then the residents found a comprehensive report that stated that the Dunmurray Rd was more than efficient to handle the School traffic so it forced the KCC to show their cards ??

God help us - I feel so stupid in thinking that the KCC were acting in a proper manner & in the interest of its electorate & paymaster 'The public , well its a lesson that I could have done without :confused:

Additionally please remember the previous post below from Irish Fire
    2.0 DEVELOPMENT POLICY
    Access around the town
    Traffic congestion within the town is concentrated on Main St. The Council will aim
    to ensure the environment of the town centre is enhanced on completion of the
    bypass by carrying out environmental improvement measures in the town centre
    aimed at improving the environment for pedestrians and cyclists.
    P2.5.2 It is the Policy of the Council to seek to improve residential amenity,
    traffic flow and the provision of public transport in conjunction with the
    Garda, local business interests and residents’ associations.
    The basis of the Council’s roads policy will be to relieve traffic congestion in the town centre and minimise through traffic in residential estates. A new northern relief road, with a new railway crossing to the west of the town, is planned. This road is intended to bear the bulk of traffic generated by new residential development to the north of the town (and from Rathangan) and divert it to the motorway interchange with minimum interface with residential areas. Pending the completion of this road link, any proposed residential development will be restricted in accordance with the Action Area Plan as the necessary infrastructure must be in place before any major development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rathbride resident

Just a quick update on the through road - KCC have confirmed to me that the through road will not be presented to the May area meeting. The Council feel that some of the issues raised in the public consultation require some detailed survey data - and as the schools have been on Easter break recently, they will not have this to hand for the May meeting.

I have updated the Action Group, and once I have a draft to hand I will be in touch with them again.

Aodh Rua - considering Latest Report Please review the following 'quotes that you have made over the length of this forum -As you can see my valid points are in Red

• I think the lack of traffic calming on the Rathbride side of the proposed road is a fundamental flaw with the plan as it currently stands, and I have said that to the residents of Rathbride Abbey that I have spoken to. I think the Council did not include any provision for this as the entire estate is not in their charge, but this needs to be addressed urgently.- What consultation has taken place with the Residents - NONE
    • One clear flaw I see in the plan as proposed is that the traffic calming etc – What Traffic Calming – NONE Planned
    • In terms of the merits of the road, as things stand the new school is going in at a poorly accessible location.- School Access was never an issue / Illicit
    • The road through Rathbride Abbey is a logical alternative, and the way that the boundary has been left at the end of the current road shows that this was always a long-term plan- What Plan the 1996 Plan?, the world was a different place then / please don’t tell me that you believe this STILL
    • It also represents the best value for money for the taxpayer as it only requires a limited section of new road on Council land – VALUE FOR MONEY – Please tell everyone here that the new proposal is now set at over 600,000 YES six hundred thousand
    • Resources are scarce at the moment, and even if this project is passed it does not follow that funds will be available for the completion of the work- Please review my previous comment??Resources are scarce – would love to see the KCC budget spend per year /Disgrace & we cant even pay for our Carers allowance in the county??
    • I think that overall a compromise should be possible to minimize your concerns while also providing an important piece of infrastructure for the community, especially for the children who will soon start to attend the new school- This infrastructure is not needed and has NOTHING to do with the new School
    • The motion about the Rathbride road was the result of requests from the residents of the estate and I am sure you would all agree that it reflects a general feeling in the area – 190 Submissions AGAINST the proposal out of 200 households in the area -I think that is the Majority Feeling in the area, what do you think??
    • I think the lack of traffic calming on the Rathbride side of the proposed road is a fundamental flaw with the plan as it currently stands- Please now stick to your words.[/I]
    • since my election in 2009 I have been openly critical about a number of planning issues.- Please see previous point
    • Q:How does this exercise effect the Rathbride Abbey/Dunmurray area? It doesn't.- I think you have to review this one
    • As I have said to the group, and at the meetings - I believe the plan produced by KCC is not viable[COLOR=red].- Please stick to your word as the latest plan I believe is the same as the Original/ bar a metal railing of course ??[/COLOR]
    • They are not currently talking to anyone about an alternative route, but they are very keen to find a compromise that addresses the residents' concerns, but still enables access to the new school – what communication if any has been had with the residents / nobody bar the R.A.G committee have been in communique with myself or my closest neighbours -No Evidence to support this??

Do we live in a banana republic? Banana republic is a pejorative term that refers to a politically unstable country dependent upon limited primary productions (e.g. bananas), and ruled by a small, self-elected, wealthy, corrupt politico-economic plutocracy or oligarchy. (Please bear in mind the potato is no longer our primary production our primary production is now our youth)

Looking at it from outside the council no matter what way the elected councillors and the general public think it’s a case of to hell with all of you THIS is what we are going to do regardless of what you think or what the consequences are. The council in my view are treating them like an untouchable body and we the “peasants” “can eat cake”.

It sickens me to think that the residents were told that the council would engage in discussions with the residents to come to a proper and safe conclusion to this issue but instead the council have told the residents to go and sit in the corner while they split our homes in two and lead to the high possibility of the death of one or more of our children!!! As I said earlier it’s ironic that this road ends at the graveyard so it won’t be to far for a parent to carry a small white coffin to the graveyard and when you are dropping your older children to the new school you can visit them in the graveyard before you come back home to an empty bedroom that once had your full of life baby.
    And as for the little white crosses you need planning permission for them (interesting to see if you get that!!!)

Please save the number below to your phone you’ll need it:

McWey's Funeral Home, Abbey View, Kildare town
    Tel: 045-521708 / Mobile 087-2584 234

It's 12:50am on Monday morning and I've just been woken up by some "boy racers" flying past the estate on the Milltown Road, just imagine what it's going to be like when K.C.C. finish this road and give the "enthusiasts" a full track to use.... Oh the joy..... I think I'll buy one of those Nissan Skylines (seeing as I'm a bit older and a Honda Civic would ruin my rep) and join them..... Any suggetions on a colour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Mum2007

Hi Aodh_Rua,
    I have been updated from the R.A.G that the road, if it goes ahead with the new adjusted plan issued by KCC last week, there will still be a 50kmph speed limit with no speed ramps. This is a huge concern to me as I live so close to this road and I have young children. This road is going to be opened up to cars, articulated lorries, single deck buses and coaches going to and from the school and also to the traffic coming from Newbridge/Miltown area that want to quickly by-pass the traffic in the town.

A study on speed in Ireland carried out by the National Road Authority shows on roads with a 50kmph speed limit - 92pc of cars, 80pc of articulated lorries, and 77pc of single deck buses and coaches were recorded speeding. The number of car drivers speeding in built up residential areas has more than doubled in that last year. - This information can be found on the RSA website.

If you look at the these statics, and if there are 3000 vehicles using this road in just 1 day up to 2,760 of these vehicles will be speeding, traveling faster than 50kmph were our young children are playing or walking to school.

A study carried out by WYG Ireland on the excising Dunmurry Road (R401) verified the Dunmurry Road R401 IS suitable and could withstand the traffic for the new school when it opens. This report was accepted and agreed by KCC that WYG’s finds were accurate and permission was granted to build the school on that basis. So why would Kildare County Council now ignore this information and still want to go ahead and open up a link road through Rathbride Abbey estate?. This link road through Rathbride Abbey is going to cost the taxpayer €750,000, which is an increase of €250,000 on the existing budget of €500,000 for the road, to include additional spending on the new adjustments to the plan - How much does a traffic light and hideous railing cost? This is a blatant squander of our taxes. Kildare County Council could spend this kind of money elsewhere in the community/town.

I believe you and the rest of the local Councilors are due to vote on the link road on Wednesday 15th June and to date you have not even been furnished with the Traffic Safety Audit report from KCC. Is this because there has been no Traffic Safety Audit done or KCC are concerned about the findings in the report that they are withholding the information? Even the The Road Safety Officer with Kildare County Council (Declan Keogh) stated in his submission that this type of Road would be pron to "boy racers".

From reading your own Submission, do you still stand over all your concerns in your submission and I quote" I have to clearly indicate that I cannot support the plan as presented. It has fundamental issues as I have outlined above. I believe that the cost of addressing these issues would significantly increase the cost of the project, and could render it unfeasible."

Does this mean you'll be voting against the proposed link road at the meeting on Wednesday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Pax Vobiscum

Irish Fire wrote: »
    It's 12:50am on Monday morning and I've just been woken up by some "boy racers" flying past the estate on the Milltown Road, just imagine what it's going to be like when K.C.C. finish this road and give the "enthusiasts" a full track to use.... Oh the joy..... I think I'll buy one of those Nissan Skylines (seeing as I'm a bit older and a Honda Civic would ruin my rep) and join them..... Any suggetions on a colour?

Maybe yellow to match the bananas and everyone will be able to see you :):):)...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRLTaLkeuJUffh6zg8JR6EvC8YO5tn6UhtRqD5MK3pjrvztZ7bb

Maybe yellow to match the bananas and everyone will be able to see you :):):)...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRLTaLkeuJUffh6zg8JR6EvC8YO5tn6UhtRqD5MK3pjrvztZ7bb
    Hello P.V.

Nice to see you on here again......

I was thinking of red just in case I run over someone and the blood won't be obvious (I am joking of course).

On a more serious note I am so annoyed with the council for the way we have been treated, there was several promises of consultation from K.C.C. with the residents, this of course has not happened. The manner in witch this road was first proposed was under handed and insulting. We were railroaded into thinking that this was for access to the school when in fact it’s going to be incorporated into the proposed one way system in the town, which in itself will be a disaster and will pull what is left of the heart of the town right out of it after all who in their right mind allowed a school to be built outside of the town. We were told the school would allow for the future development of the south green area i.e. 2,500 houses even if this is the case the school will be too small for that development alone let alone the existing school population. And by this I mean if there are 2,500 houses built and an average house has 2 children that is 5,000 children and the new school has a capacity of just over 1/5th of that, and that does not include the existing 600 or so children that are starting this year alone.

On a personal note I feel ashamed that so much work has been put into this campaign and yet it seems to be of no avail. It is almost like the campaigners did nothing when in fact the amount of time and effort that went into this is immeasurable. I really feel the members of the council have set themselves up to be a faceless entity, and are answerable to no one. The council have also portrayed to the locals that this road was planned since 1996 and have relayed this to the locals in the town thus developing this attitude of the residents of Rathbride are being snobby and have the attitude of “not on my doorstep sonny”. This is far from the case, we were asked to when submitting our objections to relay some suggestions as to how the “road to the school” could be developed in such a way that would be suitable and safe for all, this we did at great expense and time to some residents and these ideas when refused highlighted the fact that it was not a road for the school but an “inner relief road” to allow for future development of the town, and last night I was informed by a member of the chamber of commerce that there are two such roads planned for the town to create a one way system around the square area.

At the end of the day it is the residents of the Rathbride area being shafted this time it will be another area the next time, but I firmly believe that this must stop NOW!!!

On another note I spoke to a member of a different county council today and they told me that this stance "is not unusual" with K.C.C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Pax Vobiscum

Irish Fire, I am sorry about KCC being so ignorant...this is politics for you. We are not important enough for them and they just want to serve their own interests. Unfortunately, in Ireland, you can only vote (effectively give your voice) when you elect someone or when there is a referendum (which don't often happen). And once you elect representatives, you have to pray they will do a good job.

Anyway, a big tanks to R.A.G. for the massive amount of work done. At least you did your best. Hopefully, the KCC will take a reasonable decision on Wednesday...you never know.

P.V.

• Advertisement

Irish Fire, I am sorry about KCC being so ignorant...this is politics for you. We are not important enough for them and they just want to serve their own interests. Unfortunately, in Ireland, you can only vote (effectively give your voice) when you elect someone or when there is a referendum (which don't often happen). And once you elect representatives, you have to pray they will do a good job.

Anyway, a big tanks to R.A.G. for the massive amount of work done. At least you did your best. Hopefully, the KCC will take a reasonable decision on Wednesday...you never know.

P.V.

What a lot of people don't realise is that even if the councillors vote against this proposal K.C.C. can still go ahead with it if they so choose

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement