Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed through road at Rathbride Abbey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Your wrong...

why???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Because my driveway leads onto the R415 and i don't see the kind of joyriding in that video and the road isn't as busy as you are making it out to be.

Because my driveway leads onto the R415 and i don't see the kind of joyriding in that video and the road isn't as busy as you are making it out to be.

Wait until that road is opens and see what happens!! I've even had a senior member of AGS look at this road and it was him that pointed it out and you can't honestly say you haven't heard the boy racers race up and down that road at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

I agree with Irish Fire you need to look deeper into this, although why would you?

The road is to be incorporated into the one way system that K.C.C. are putting in without the consultation of the residents!!!

I can't wait to see the other link road going in and see who kicks off then as I know exactly where it's going and I can assure you there will be blood on the streets when the proposal is launched!!!

I'm offended by the "blow in" attitude you have shown with some of my fellow residents, most of whom I've gone to school with as pointed out earlier the majority here are from Kildare town, so I would like others suggest you keep your unvalued sh1t stirring attitude to yourself......

I apologize for any comments suggesting that the Rathbride residents are "blow-ins" when I assumed that most of you guys were new to the area as is frequently the case with new urban developments - I should have included this among my questions before I made an assumption. Also, turning the road in question into part of a one way system might suggest a traffic gyratory which IMO would be totally inappropriate in a residential area - now that to me is taking the biscuit on the part of KCC. I thought that this road was to be a distributor route for the new estates in the area. I also get the impression that KCC are being secretive which to me is plain childish - I would expect professionalism from any County Council which would mean "saying what's in the tin and saying it to peoples' faces!" General town relief roads should not go through existing residential areas, they should go right around the town - it now seems the case that the road in question was meant to be a distributor road and should merely remain so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Irish Fire wrote: »
    @ irish and proud. You are missing the point completely and I find it insulting that you jump to the conclusion that the majority here are "blow ins" this could not be further from the truth, the vast majority of residents in this area are localsand not as you seem to think. If you put a little more detail into your investigations you would know the full story, I also notice from other threads you seem to stir it up a bit, so I'm politely asking you to refrain from such actions on this thread when you know nothing about the situation, in fact I would think the majority would agree if you have nothing positive to say say nothing at all.

Again, I apologize for any comments of mine suggesting "blow-ins". Although I'm generally opposed to NIMBYism, I should have researched deeper into the Rathbride case instead of adopting a "guilty until proven innocent" approach. Now, I do have strong opinions, so rather than "stirring things up a bit", I would regard myself as robustly challenging the opinions of others if I feel they are totally contrary to what is right. However, I should also "look before I leap". I still hold the view that roads have to go somewhere, but the Rathbride case does seem somewhat more complex than mere NIMBYism.

Again, I apologize for not doing my research! :o

• Advertisement

Wait until that road is opens and see what happens!! I've even had a senior member of AGS look at this road and it was him that pointed it out and you can't honestly say you haven't heard the boy racers race up and down that road at night.

Yeah sure, there out at night. But that's far from the joyriders in the video you posted. And nowhere near as bad as its calmed in this thread.

Yeah sure, there out at night. But that's far from the joyriders in the video you posted. And nowhere near as bad as its calmed in this thread.

So you admit there is a problem then... I think you know as well as anyone these "car enthusiasts" will be like flies to sh1t when this road opened, I have yet to see a newly opened road that they don't "attack". It will be over my dead body that it happen, we had situations similar to this before and it doesn't take to long to sort out....

So you admit there is a problem then... I think you know as well as anyone these "car enthusiasts" will be like flies to sh1t when this road opened, I have yet to see a newly opened road that they don't "attack". It will be over my dead body that it happen, we had situations similar to this before and it doesn't take to long to sort out....

No, i see/hear them driving up and down the road nothing worse. I wouldn't see them as a major problem to be honest. Most of them are harmless. You will always get the odd idiots though.

I accept you live in an estate and I live on a main road so we probably have different opinions on this, so I will leave it at that.

No, i see/hear them driving up and down the road nothing worse. I wouldn't see them as a major problem to be honest. Most of them are harmless. You will always get the odd idiots though.

I accept you live in an estate and I live on a main road so we probably have different opinions on this, so I will leave it at that.

As pointed out in an earlier post these fools use the bridge as a launch ramp and now with this new section they will have another section to "pedal their wares" although by the sounds of thing you really don't give a toss what happens outside your own littte bubble.......

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Kildare Resident

I'm sellin' up..............

• Advertisement

As pointed out in an earlier post these fools use the bridge as a launch ramp and now with this new section they will have another section to "pedal their wares" although by the sounds of thing you really don't give a toss what happens outside your own littte bubble.......

No i just find it hard to believe your exaggerations. :)

First you agree there is a problem then you say there isn't a problem. The residents in Rathbride are afraid that this will become part of a problem created when this road opens. Child safety is our biggest problem and now it also seems that the council are on the advice of a road safety audit going to put broken white lines down this road, so not only can you drive at 50Kph you can also overtake on the road as well.......

This proposal is flawed from start to finish and this fact has been proven by the residents time and time again and yet our wonderful council still insist on going ahead with it. It is beyond a joke at this stage!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Rathbride Ranger

If this goes ahead and even if the 50KPH speed limit is observed it will still be a dangerous Rat Run, I just saw a post on www.rathbrideabbey.com which is discussing one page of the so called Trafic Safety Audit report commissioned by KCC, this proposes that instead of having a continous white line, the road should have a broken white line so that cars can cross it without breaking the law. This means that we now have a road through a housing estate with a 50kph speed limit and overtaking allowed. So cut through the crap with or without joy riders and boy racers this is a dangerous road.

One more thing The Road Safety Officer for Kildare Declan Keogh stated that this type of road is prone to boy racer type activity.

Lets focus on the real issue here, KCC are relying on an aspiration of the 1996 local area plan as justification for this road. The local area cllrs are aware that the proposed road has safety issues and therefore shirked responsibility when the had a chance to issue at least a recommendation on said road. None of the submissions have been answered and regardless of what Paddy Kennedy said on KFM last week this road can not and will not be made safe, certainly not when KCC wil be given cart blanche by the County Councillors to go ahead and we will worry about safety as we go.

The proposal was flawed, the current process is flawed and in the fulness of time you will see I am right and I will then shout it from the roof tops that every councillor that votes in this ludicrous proposal has blood on their hands, lets hope its not the blood of one of your relatives!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Which alternate route are you proposing? I've had a glance through a few pages, and I didn't spot any alternate routes, so apologies if they've been given.

First you agree there is a problem then you say there isn't a problem. The residents in Rathbride are afraid that this will become part of a problem created when this road opens. Child safety is our biggest problem and now it also seems that the council are on the advice of a road safety audit going to put broken white lines down this road, so not only can you drive at 50Kph you can also overtake on the road as well.......

This proposal is flawed from start to finish and this fact has been proven by the residents time and time again and yet our wonderful council still insist on going ahead with it. It is beyond a joke at this stage!!

I never agreed their was a problem, You assumed i did and i corrected you immediately. But as usual in this thread if someone doesn't agree with your point of view you will happily twist their words.

Almost any residential roads i have ever seen have broken or no white line. Motorists need to know its ok to pass parked or stopped cars. You would rarely see overtaking on these kinds of roads with broken lines.

Which alternate route are you proposing? I've had a glance through a few pages, and I didn't spot any alternate routes, so apologies if they've been given.

The council asked that alternative routes or ideas be submitted in the submissions, some were submitted and the council ignored them. One suggestion that was submitted forced the council to admit that this road was not as earlier suggested by local councillors an access road for the school but as a link road for the town.

I never agreed their was a problem, You assumed i did and i corrected you immediately. But as usual in this thread if someone doesn't agree with your point of view you will happily twist their words.

Almost any residential roads i have ever seen have broken or no white line. Motorists need to know its ok to pass parked or stopped cars. You would rarely see overtaking on these kinds of roads with broken lines.

For some one that said earlier that the boy racers were there and also said "we probably have different opinions on this, so I will leave it at that" you've talked some crap since!!

I would also like to point out that one of the biggest problems we had here a few years ago came from the R415, we soon sorted that problem and will do again when this road is forced through, we as residents have stood together when we've had problems from "external" sources and will do again when the need arises.

I would suggest you stop throwing your oar in on an issue you clearly think has nothing to do with you, although I would think otherwise......

For some one that said earlier that the boy racers were there and also said "we probably have different opinions on this, so I will leave it at that" you've talked some crap since!!

I would also like to point out that one of the biggest problems we had here a few years ago came from the R415, we soon sorted that problem and will do again when this road is forced through, we as residents have stood together when we've had problems from "external" sources and will do again when the need arises.

I would suggest you stop throwing your oar in on an issue you clearly think has nothing to do with you, although I would think otherwise......

Obviously anyone that doesn't agree with you is talking crap. I wouldn't have posted again only you started exaggerating about boyracers using the bridge as a launch ramp :rolleyes: and saying i agreed their was a problem.
    If I am talking crap hop on Google Earth or the OSI website and show me a road through one of the residential estates in Newbridge that has a solid line the length of the road, there's loads of access through the estate's to avoid the main street so should be simple for to find one.
    As someone who drives through Kildare to get to work. I will throw my ore where i like, epically when all I'm reading a load of exaggerations.

Obviously anyone that doesn't agree with you is talking crap. I wouldn't have posted again only you started exaggerating about boyracers using the bridge as a launch ramp :rolleyes: and saying i agreed their was a problem.
    If I am talking crap hop on Google Earth or the OSI website and show me a road through one of the residential estates in Newbridge that has a solid line the length of the road, there's loads of access through the estate's to avoid the main street so should be simple for to find one.
    As someone who drives through Kildare to get to work. I will throw my ore where i like, epically when all I'm reading a load of exaggerations.

I only disagree with people talking crap. The exaggeration remains to be proven wrong. And it's obvious to anyone that at junctions that the white line will be broken but if you look at the recommendations from K.C.C. and the safety audit they are at opposite ends of the scale. Now at this stage I think you should agree to disagree.

This road will go ahead because of the let down and promises made by K.C.C. were broken to suit themselves.

I only disagree with people talking crap. The exaggeration remains to be proven wrong. And it's obvious to anyone that at junctions that the white line will be broken but if you look at the recommendations from K.C.C. and the safety audit they are at opposite ends of the scale. Now at this stage I think you should agree to disagree.

This road will go ahead because of the let down and promises made by K.C.C. were broken to suit themselves.

I tried to agree to disagree about 4 posts back :)
    It is impossible something to be proven wrong :)

• Advertisement

The world is full of "it will never happen types"

Hey Folks I've been thinking about building over the extenstion on my house and I've the drawings done since before the house was completed.

So I'm going to tell the council that I'm building it and any submissions made will be considered and all replys to submissions will be answered and answers will be given to the local household committee (made up by my wife and children) and voted on and regardless of vote I'll go ahead anyway........ Oh and any submissions will not be made public until well after the completion of the part 8 process on my house........

So what ya think?? I'm interested in all answers ring me on 1800 FCUK OFF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Mum2007

Did anyone else see/hear the crazy lunatics speeding up and down through Rathbride at about 10:30 last night while the rain was coming down really hard and the road was starting to flood across?. Disgraceful carrying on. They should be ashamed of themselves. Luckily there were no children outside because of the time of night and the weather being so bad but they could have killed themselves speeding and breaking so hard with the roads completely submerged in water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Rathbride Ranger

Did anyone hear P Kennedy on the Radio this morning, jaysus he has some nerve, worried about a war of words on here and people hiding behind made up names, sure that'll never hurt you Paddy, But as for the speeding cars? That could cause serious harm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 AIIEAL

Mum2007 wrote: »
    Did anyone else see/hear the crazy lunatics speeding up and down through Rathbride at about 10:30 last night while the rain was coming down really hard and the road was starting to flood across?. Disgraceful carrying on. They should be ashamed of themselves. Luckily there were no children outside because of the time of night and the weather being so bad but they could have killed themselves speeding and breaking so hard with the roads completely submerged in water.

I heard them! I rang the Gardai as that was the 2nd night running. Also, on Sunday a car came around the bend into our estate at such speed and then accelerated so hard that his car spun out of control while there was another car driving behind him. This was at 3:30 in the afternoon!!!!!! I got his registration coz he had to stop his car and reverse coz he was facing the wrong way!!!. I reported him to the Gardai too.

AIIEAL wrote: »
    I heard them! I rang the Gardai as that was the 2nd night running. Also, on Sunday a car came around the bend into our estate at such speed and then accelerated so hard that his car spun out of control while there was another car driving behind him. This was at 3:30 in the afternoon!!!!!! I got his registration coz he had to stop his car and reverse coz he was facing the wrong way!!!. I reported him to the Gardai too.

I also think a lot of people are forgetting about the time the car took the wall out of it at No.5 a few years ago.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Pax Vobiscum

Tell me what is this FARCE (a holy cross on which it is asked to list the name of kids that could be knocked down and killed by cars on the link road !?!?!) at the entrance of Rathbride Abbey??? It is really stupid and tasteless! I understand that some people in the Rathbride estate (where I live) and particulary people at the head of RAG are deeply unhappy about the link road but do you think that KCC councillors are going to listen to people barking at them and insulting them like this? Do you really think they will take you people into account? Dream on. If I were a councillor, I would certainly not do it. You are entitled to have strong feelings about the road but at least be courteous and behave like a responsible adult! And don't think everybody in Rathbride Abbey are happy with the RAG because, myself, I am not. There are limits you should not cross. Really disappointing! P.V. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Tell me what is this FARCE (a holy cross on which it is asked to list the name of kids that could be knocked down and killed by cars on the link road !?!?!) at the entrance of Rathbride Abbey??? It is really stupid and tasteless!

Well, a solution would be to keep children in sight, and not let them go outside the entrance of the estate without supervision. If this doesn't suit, you could try to get safety measures such as chicanes or other traffic calming features. Be glad you're getting a nice new link road, stop opposing it. Try to allow for this road, as you're not the only ones in the community who matter. I would assume that many people are going to benefit from it, otherwise, it wouldn't be built.

Tell me what is this FARCE (a holy cross on which it is asked to list the name of kids that could be knocked down and killed by cars on the link road !?!?!) at the entrance of Rathbride Abbey??? It is really stupid and tasteless! I understand that some people in the Rathbride estate (where I live) and particulary people at the head of RAG are deeply unhappy about the link road but do you think that KCC councillors are going to listen to people barking at them and insulting them like this? Do you really think they will take you people into account? Dream on. If I were a councillor, I would certainly not do it. You are entitled to have strong feelings about the road but at least be courteous and behave like a responsible adult! And don't think everybody in Rathbride Abbey are happy with the RAG because, myself, I am not. There are limits you should not cross. Really disappointing! P.V. :mad:

Hate to burst your bubble but the Rathbride Action Group HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS CROSS!!! And how dare you come on with this attitude and accuse the hard working people of the R.A.G. of such a tasteless show!!!!

The Committee of the R.A.G. put countless hours into this project were you out there?

Were you one of the people that sat for endless hours with the local councillors?

Were you one of the people that trawled through mountains of information both in books and via the internet?

I think not……..

I for one am highly insulted by not only the erection of this cross but also by the way YOU have come on here and automatically accused the R.A.G. of this!!!

You need to retract this hurtful remark although it’s easy to make these remarks anonymously.

peace with you???………. I think you should put the stones down and get the hell out of the glasshouse!!!!

• Advertisement

Well, a solution would be to keep children in sight, and not let them go outside the entrance of the estate without supervision. If this doesn't suit, you could try to get safety measures such as chicanes or other traffic calming features. Be glad you're getting a nice new link road, stop opposing it. Try to allow for this road, as you're not the only ones in the community who matter. I would assume that many people are going to benefit from it, otherwise, it wouldn't be built.

The major issue here is that K.C.C. promised that during this process and before they went to vote that they would consult with the residents on this proposal. The residents pointed out several flaws in the proposal and these have been ignored by K.C.C.

K.C.C also said they needed extra time to review our submissions and they took extra time to do this and also said they produced a safety audit. This safety audit unbelievably was not made available to the councillors before this vote and was only handed to the councillors when it was asked for after the vote on the proposal was referred to the full council. Please note that this safety audit was only given to the councillors at that meeting and is only given to the other councillors if they request it.

The residents of Rathbride Abbey have stated several times to councillors and the council that they are not against future development. But I think you would agree that reasonable effort for safety etc.... must be put into the design and implementation of this and other proposals.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement