Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed through road at Rathbride Abbey

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Pax Vobiscum

You must admit it could have been, considering the previous nasty remarks posted on this forum. And I am glad if it is not R.A.G. who put the cross at the entrance of the estate. Who is this then? Any ideas? KCC...unlikely. I do believe that outbursts on this forum did not help the R.A.G.'s cause. That is my point. I do not say you did not put lots of hours and energy to opposing to the road link as proposed by KCC. It would be wrong. But, Irish Fire, admit that sometimes you go a bit far on the verbal side. P.V.

By the way, everyone is entitled to their opinion even if it is not yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

You must admit it could have been, considering the previous nasty remarks posted on this forum. And I am glad if it is not R.A.G. who put the cross at the entrance of the estate. Who is this then? Any ideas? KCC...unlikely. I do believe that outbursts on this forum did not help the R.A.G.'s cause. That is my point. I do not say you did not put lots of hours and energy to opposing to the road link as proposed by KCC. It would be wrong. But, Irish Fire, admit that sometimes you go a bit far on the verbal side. P.V.

That was not your point!!!! You automatically accused the R.A.G. of putting up the cross. And regardless of my opinion or anyone else’s opinion (after all that’s what gets a debate going), I was not the one that accused the R.A.G. of such tasteless actions.

To answer your question on who put it there I do not know and to be honest if I did it would be nailed to their front door so as the residents would know who did erect this insulting “piece of art”. Like you I consider this action as an insult to the residents and I’m waiting for my other half to come home so as I can go up and take it down.

Irish Fire wrote: »
    That was not your point!!!! You automatically accused the R.A.G. of putting up the cross. And regardless of my opinion or anyone else’s opinion (after all that’s what gets a debate going), I was not the one that accused the R.A.G. of such tasteless actions.

To answer your question on who put it there I do not know and to be honest if I did it would be nailed to their front door so as the residents would know who did erect this insulting “piece of art”. Like you I consider this action as an insult to the residents and I’m waiting for my other half to come home so as I can go up and take it down.

I did not accuse R.A.G. of putting up the cross, you may go back and read my post. But I did accuse you and some other people on this forum of not helping the situation by making smart and often hurtful comments when people disagree with you. Thank you for taking down the cross and have a good weekend anyway. P.V.

Tell me what is this FARCE (a holy cross on which it is asked to list the name of kids that could be knocked down and killed by cars on the link road !?!?!) at the entrance of Rathbride Abbey??? It is really stupid and tasteless! I understand that some people in the Rathbride estate (where I live) and particulary people at the head of RAG are deeply unhappy about the link road but do you think that KCC councillors are going to listen to people barking at them and insulting them like this? Do you really think they will take you people into account? Dream on. If I were a councillor, I would certainly not do it. You are entitled to have strong feelings about the road but at least be courteous and behave like a responsible adult! And don't think everybody in Rathbride Abbey are happy with the RAG because, myself, I am not. There are limits you should not cross. Really disappointing! P.V. :mad:

If you did not accuse the R.A.G. why then did you say the above line?

I nor any other member of the R.A.G. have "barked" at any of the councillors and I think all the councillors would agree with that.

R.A.G. were at all times when representing the residents were courteous towards the council and councillors. And even during the meeting last night all councillors agreed that any comments made about them by anonymous posters were to be taken with a grain of salt and had no credence.

And also to be fair the councillor that posts here felt that posts seemed to hit out at him and I did point out that while I felt that my posts were not directly aimed at the councillor if I offended the councillor I did apologise and that apology was taken in good faith.

I have not been up there yet but you say it's down so someone else had the same idea as me........

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Zerostandards

Driving in to Rathbride Abbey yesterday evening I saw one of the guys that lives on the front row hacking away at the cross, looked like a man possesed, haha, the sight of crosses tend to have that affect on certain types of individual if you know what I mean?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 DUNMURRAYMUM

ye done ur cause no favours putting up that cross it was tasteless and hurtful who ever put it up have not loss anyone on the roads if they did they would understand how much hurt they have caused

Zerostandards, this man was right to be mad at the idiot who put the cross up. But why was this done? Well, I believe because of some strong opinions expressed on this forum about children safety which sometimes were a bit exagerated or tasteless. I understand you have to make sure children are safe and it is natural to be worried but you also have to teach your children how to behave beside a busy road (stop, look and listen). After all, you cannot keep them in a bubble forever. As for kids that are too young to understand, they should be supervised at all time anyway. What I would be more concerned about would be the noise level and the pollution. And maybe some trouble makers. P.V.

You are right Dunmurraymum. This cross must have hurt a lot of people's feelings!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 rathbridemum

I wish I was the one who was responsible for the cross! I think it was very clever and a very powerful statement/symbol to show what could and very possibly will happen to our famillies if this road goes ahead. I fear some people on this forum do not have the foresight to see what this road will bring. I have lost people on our roads in recent years and know first hand the devastation a road death causes to so many lives but the symbol of the cross did not offend me. I think whoever took it down should have had more respect for whoever it was who tried to make a statement. Kildare County Council are the ones who are offending me by bringing this unsafe proposal to my doorstep and possibly a white cross for real!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Fellow Resident

ye done ur cause no favours putting up that cross it was tasteless and hurtful who ever put it up have not loss anyone on the roads if they did they would understand how much hurt they have caused

I take it you mean that this person has done no favours for the R.A.G. after all reading the last few posts the R.A.G. have distanced themselves from the “tasteless action”.

I have never posted here before and I praise the work done by the R.A.G. and I have lost a child to the roads and I know from talking to a committee member before he told me that he lost a brother to a drunk driver and yes I agree that it is hurtful but credit where credit is due I really don’t think the R.A.G. would go that low.

I would be interested to read other opinions on this.

• Advertisement

I wish I was the one who was responsible for the cross! I think it was very clever and a very powerful statement/symbol to show what could and very possibly will happen to our famillies if this road goes ahead. I fear some people on this forum do not have the foresight to see what this road will bring. I have lost people on our roads in recent years and know first hand the devastation a road death causes to so many lives but the symbol of the cross did not offend me. I think whoever took it down should have had more respect for whoever it was who tried to make a statement. Kildare County Council are the ones who are offending me by bringing this unsafe proposal to my doorstep and possibly a white cross for real!

Rathbridemum, I lost my 15 year old cousin 5 years ago (he was killed by a van while riding his bike to school) As a result, his dad (who was my godfather) committed suicide 3 years ago, because he could not stand the loss of his son. So, I do understand people's concerns about the road. However, I was shocked by the cross asking for names of children that are well and alive! Sorry but I still find it tasteless. P.V.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

Somebody asked me the other day if the council has considered making the route a pedestrian route only with a bicycle path and converting the remaining space into a park/childrens playground.

In an ideal world I thought it would have been a great idea.

Yes, it would be very good!

NedNew2 wrote: »
    Somebody asked me the other day if the council has considered making the route a pedestrian route only with a bicycle path and converting the remaining space into a park/childrens playground.

In an ideal world I thought it would have been a great idea.

It would be a fantastic facility if we were to get it.

A similar idea was proposed at both the road planners meeting and in the submissions and it was only at this stage that K.C.C. admitted that the road was not just to facilitate access to the temporary entrance to the school but also to incorporate the proposed one way system in the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 AIIEAL

Tell me what is this FARCE (a holy cross on which it is asked to list the name of kids that could be knocked down and killed by cars on the link road !?!?!) at the entrance of Rathbride Abbey??? It is really stupid and tasteless! I understand that some people in the Rathbride estate (where I live) and particulary people at the head of RAG are deeply unhappy about the link road but do you think that KCC councillors are going to listen to people barking at them and insulting them like this? Do you really think they will take you people into account? Dream on. If I were a councillor, I would certainly not do it. You are entitled to have strong feelings about the road but at least be courteous and behave like a responsible adult! And don't think everybody in Rathbride Abbey are happy with the RAG because, myself, I am not. There are limits you should not cross. Really disappointing! P.V. :mad:

Pax Vobiscum, From reading the minutes of the meeting last Thursday with the Councillors and the R.A.G. It was very clearly stated at the beginning of the meeting that the R.A.G have NOTHING to do with this site or this forum and the R.A.G does not condone any comments or remarks made on here. So I don't understand why you would presume the R.A.G have something to do with the cross because of previous nasty remarks posted on this forum?? You shouldn't jump to conclusions like that. The R.A.G have done so much for the residents of Rathbride Abbey, they have given up so much of their time and money to help this issue. It only takes the likes of you coming on here jumping to ridicules conclusions running the R.A.G down to undo all their good work.

Get your facts straight!. Jesus, it's just as well your not on the bloody committee. You'd be out there laying the tarmac for KCC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Mum2007

How can you come on here and state everyone is entitled to their own opinion after you complained about people on here giving their opinion? As for insulting councillors - Yes, I am unhappy with Cllr Paddy Kennedy for telling me lies and promising to stand by the residents of Rathbride Abbey. He promised me that he would vote against this road twice if he had to!. And then to go back on his promise when it doesn't suit him anymore. I think he is very dishonest and disloyal by doing so. This is my opinion!

I think you really need to decide who's side you are on. You seem to be all the time defending the councillors and KCC and quick to condemn unhappy and angry residents. As for accusing the R.A.G of hanging the cross - that is just beyond low!

AIIEAL wrote: »
    Pax Vobiscum, From reading the minutes of the meeting last Thursday with the Councillors and the R.A.G. It was very clearly stated at the beginning of the meeting that the R.A.G have NOTHING to do with this site or this forum and the R.A.G does not condone any comments or remarks made on here. So I don't understand why you would presume the R.A.G have something to do with the cross because of previous nasty remarks posted on this forum?? You shouldn't jump to conclusions like that. The R.A.G have done so much for the residents of Rathbride Abbey, they have given up so much of their time and money to help this issue. It only takes the likes of you coming on here jumping to ridicules conclusions running the R.A.G down to undo all their good work.

Get your facts straight!. Jesus, it's just as well your not on the bloody committee. You'd be out there laying the tarmac for KCC.

So, none of the participants on this forum are part of R.A.G.? That's strange... What I find on this forum is that you have to have the same opinion as the R.A.G. otherwise you are treated like nothing. And this is not because I am not part of R.A.G. that I am for the road (I stated I would like a pedestrian access to the school). But if the road happens, I will adapt and deal with it and teach my children what is needed so that they are safe. Anyway, they know it all already. I am sorry I accused the R.A.G. but I really disliked some of the comments posted by members I believed to be part of R.A.G. Sorry if I was wrong.

PS I never said members of the R.A.G. did not put a lot of work into the Rathbride cause but they did it of their own free will and nobody forced them to put the hours and money into this association. They decided to do it. What sometimes bother me is to hear that 100% of the resident of Rathbride Abbey are behind the R.A.G. and have the same opinions as the association. P.V.

Mum2007 wrote: »
    How can you come on here and state everyone is entitled to their own opinion after you complained about people on here giving their opinion? As for insulting councillors - Yes, I am unhappy with Cllr Paddy Kennedy for telling me lies and promising to stand by the residents of Rathbride Abbey. He promised me that he would vote against this road twice if he had to!. And then to go back on his promise when it doesn't suit him anymore. I think he is very dishonest and disloyal by doing so. This is my opinion!

I think you really need to decide who's side you are on. You seem to be all the time defending the councillors and KCC and quick to condemn unhappy and angry residents. As for accusing the R.A.G of hanging the cross - that is just beyond low!

I do not complain about people giving their opinion but more about the language they use (sometimes quite rude and pushy) to express their opinion. And I don't think such language is helping the Rathbride cause. I think Cllr Kennedy should not have promised anything he could not keep but the situation might have changed between the time you talked to him and now? I don't know. If he lied, it is not right but it is very frequent in politics to promise something to get elected. That happened before and will still happen in the future.

I am not defending the concillors but I just don't like being pushed around and have people saying they represent 100% of the residents of Rathbride Abbey which is not the case.

As for the cross, I am still angry about it and would like to have your opinion on who put it up? Did you think it was a good idea? P.V.

So, none of the participants on this forum are part of R.A.G.? That's strange... What I find on this forum is that you have to have the same opinion as the R.A.G. otherwise you are treated like nothing. And this is not because I am not part of R.A.G. that I am for the road (I stated I would like a pedestrian access to the school). But if the road happens, I will adapt and deal with it and teach my children what is needed so that they are safe. Anyway, they know it all already. I am sorry I accused the R.A.G. but I really disliked some of the comments posted by members I believed to be part of R.A.G. Sorry if I was wrong.

PS I never said members of the R.A.G. did not put a lot of work into the Rathbride cause but they did it of their own free will and nobody forced them to put the hours and money into this association. They decided to do it. What sometimes bother me is to hear that 100% of the resident of Rathbride Abbey are behind the R.A.G. and have the same opinions as the association. P.V.

Nobody knows who anyone is on this forum, so I am sure it is for this reason the R.A.G does not want to be associated with boards.ie. I personally am not a member of the action group as I could not commit to the long hours that they give, but I am on their mailing list and attend as many meeting as I possibly can. It's obvious from reading your posts you are pretty clueless to what the R.A.G is about and have never attended a single meeting. I am sure the R.A.G would very much appreciate it if you would stop associating them with this forum.

As for your comments about nobody forcing the R.A.G to put so many hours and money into the association and it was of their own free will... Seriously. Cop on to yourself, you are being very childish.

Nobody knows who anyone is on this forum, so I am sure it is for this reason the R.A.G does not want to be associated with boards.ie. I personally am not a member of the action group as I could not commit to the long hours that they give, but I am on their mailing list and attend as many meeting as I possibly can. It's obvious from reading your posts you are pretty clueless to what the R.A.G is about and have never attended a single meeting. I am sure the R.A.G would very much appreciate it if you would stop associating them with the forum.

As for your comments about nobody forcing the R.A.G to put so many hours and money into the association and it was of their own free will... Seriously. Cop on to yourself.

Why cop on to yourself? And why am I childish? Just explain to me why I cannot have another opinion than most people on this forum? Because I live in Rathbride Abbey? You cop on to yourself!

• Advertisement

Why cop on to yourself? And why am I childish? Just explain to me why I cannot have another opinion than most people on this forum? Because I live in Rathbride Abbey? You cop on to yourself!

Nobody said you can't have your own opinion!
    No where did I read that the R.A.G have said they were representing 100% of the residents. You spend so much time jumping to conclusions it's ridicules.

This is what i mean about you being childish. I've seen children act more mature and less argumentative then you.

I think you should go for a little nap your obviously a little over tired.. And you're also giving me a headache!

Nobody said you can't have your own opinion!
    No where did I read that the R.A.G have said they were representing 100% of the residents. You spend so much time jumping to conclusions it's ridicules.

This is what i mean about you being childish. I've seen children act more mature and less argumentative then you.

I think you should go for a little nap your obviously a little over tired.. And you're also giving me a headache!

[QUOTE=Irish Fire;72786809]This is a copy of the e mail to all residents, I'll post it here in case someone doesn't get it:

Hi all,

I will be on KFM Radio again in the morning, Thursday 16th June at
    about 0930 hrs, Paddy Kennedy is also on but I am not sure at this
    point if I will be on at the same time as him. Please Please Please
    text the show with an out pouring of disgust at today's developments
    and how displeased we are in Rathbride Abbey by being let down by the
    aforementioned Councillor.

Text the letters KFM to 51155 followed by your message.[/QUOTE]

AIIEAL, obviously, you did not listen to Sean Keogh on KFM on the 16th June (I did as I am a fervent follower...) and he did say that 100% of Rathbride Abbey were behind the R.A.G. and its cause. Maybe not in these words but almost.

I believe, you should go for a nap to get some rest if you have a headache. I am fine so I'll pass. Obviously, you don't like people that can make a good argument for the right reasons. So sweet dreams and sleep tight for a very long time.:rolleyes: P.V.

AIIEAL, obviously, you did not listen to Sean Keogh on KFM on the 16th June (I did as I am a fervent follower...) and he did say that 100% of Rathbride Abbey were behind the R.A.G. and its cause. Maybe not in these words but almost.

I believe, you should go for a nap to get some rest if you have a headache. I am fine so I'll pass. Obviously, you don't like people that can make a good argument for the right reasons. So sweet dreams and sleep tight for a very long time.:rolleyes: P.V.

My god you talk some crap. 'Maybe not in these words but almost'??... What ????

As for you making a good argument for the right reason??. I am completely confused to what your agreement is or the reason for that matter. You babble on non stop about not being allowed to voice your own opinion. Why don't you start your own thread, that way you can spend all day writing up your own opinions on it. As I think you have 100% completely MISSED the point of this thread.

My god you talk some crap. 'Maybe not in these words but almost'??... What ????

As for you making a good argument for the right reason??. I am completely confused to what your agreement is or the reason for that matter. You babble on non stop about not being allowed to voice your own opinion. Why don't you start your own thread, that way you can spend all day writing up your own opinions on it. As I think you have 100% completely MISSED the point of this thread.

So, what is the point of this thread, tell me? The thread is about the proposed through road at Rathbride Abbey, isn't it? So, as a Rathbride resident, do I not have access to this thread and can I not make remarks even if some (or all) are not to your liking or other people's liking? You did not tell me if you listened to Sean Keogh that day and if you did, am I wrong saying he told 100% of the residents are behind R.A.G. cause at the end of the interview? Or maybe I got too tired waiting for the programme starting nearer to 10.00 am and got a bit confused?

By the way, you seem to like trying to push me around... and to have the last word :D

Have a good evening P.V.

All the fighting about the road can stop it got the go ahead YES:):)

I find this quite offensive and threatining. I think you should have the good grace to bow out of the thread of this forum as you are clearly being abusive and ranting.

All the fighting about the road can stop it got the go ahead YES:):)

I would like to know who or what changed your opinion from your previous post as below or should I say who bought you?

I LIVE IN DUNMURRAY RISE AND DO NOT AGREE WITH THE THROUGH ROAD THIS IS A VERY QUIET ESTATE AND THE LAST THING WE NEED IS TRAFFIC SPEEDING THROUGH HERE DAY AND NIGHT PUTTING THE LIVES OF OUR CHILDREN IN DANGER WE FEEL THAT BECAUSE THIS IS A COUNCIL ESTATE WE HAVE NO VOICE AND THE COUNCIL CAN DO WHAT THEY WANT WELL WE HAVE A VOICE
    AND A VOTE BOTH OF WHICH WE WILL USE

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Zerostandards

GBH, comments please!

I not for sale but the more i heard about the road the more i thought it was progress for the town after all it is up to us all to teach our kids road safety it seems to be the same old story in kildare block progress and then give out that there nothing in the town IT SAD TO SAY YOU CANT CHANGE YOUR MIND WITHOUT BEING ACCUSED OF BEING BOUGHT IF YOUR OPINION IS FOR SALE MINE IS NOT:):):):) KEEP HAPPY

• Advertisement

I not for sale but the more i heard about the road the more i thought it was progress for the town after all it is up to us all to teach our kids road safety it seems to be the same old story in kildare block progress and then give out that there nothing in the town IT SAD TO SAY YOU CANT CHANGE YOUR MIND WITHOUT BEING ACCUSED OF BEING BOUGHT IF YOUR OPINION IS FOR SALE MINE IS NOT:):):):) KEEP HAPPY

Dunmurray Mum, Touchy! but if the hat fits, wear it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement