Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beginners burst, advice needed!

• 14-01-2011 5:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, have been reading this forum for a long time, some great logs here but just looking for some advice. I'm 3/4 stone overweight and started running last November in order to get into shape. I started with a couple of 3/4k runs and a number of 5k runs before an extremely sore achillies brought me to an abrupt stop.

After getting advice I took a month off which unfortunately due to the bad weather was extended to 2 months. First run back, achillies pain returned and a severe pain in my back. After doing a bit of research on here I got gait tested and got a new set of Asics and haven't looked back. Last week ran 3 x 5km, this week 2 x 5km and 1 x 7.5km. Generally running 28 to 30 mins per 5km which I understand to be quite slow. After the 7.5km run I was quite stiff, so 2 evenings later I went out for a light jog to loosen out but felt great and completed another 5km. What would generally be considered adequate rest after 5/8km runs?

My question is what realistic goals should I be aiming to achieve over the next few months? I'm a little tentative to push myself too hard for fear I break down and am left back at square 1. Should I try keep improving my distances or concentrated on improving my times over 5k?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    Generally running 28 to 30 mins per km which I understand to be quite slow.

:eek: :eek: :eek:
    That's a new Boards record for slow running!

:D
    In your position I'd be gradually extending my runs. The speed will come with practice. Don't do every run as fast as you can - run most of them at an easy pace, and make one run a week slightly slower and slightly longer. When you want to run fast, do a race! The Raheny 5 mile is in a couple of weeks - that's about 8k, which you should be more than capable of. Racing is great fun, even when you're only really competing with yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Sorry!!! 28 - 30 mins per 5k. 2 and a half hours would be a touch tedious for a 5k run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ILOVERED

Hi
    I cant give any advice , I'm only new at it too . but just wanted to say that I think 28 - 30 mins for 5k, is great! I only hope to that some day. so well done to you.

Best of luck with log!

7.1k this morning in around 42 mins. The roads I'm running are quite hilly, mostly up for the first half and down for the second. Really could feel in in the legs on the way up with quite a wind and driving rain in my face. Got into a nice stride on the way down and felt as though I would have another 2/3k in me only for blisters on the inside of both feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Itziger

7.1k this morning in around 42 mins. The roads I'm running are quite hilly, mostly up for the first half and down for the second. Really could feel in in the legs on the way up with quite a wind and driving rain in my face. Got into a nice stride on the way down and felt as though I would have another 2/3k in me only for blisters on the inside of both feet.
    Good stuff. Two tiny bits of advice/encouragement;

1) Keep at it and take it easy.
    2) Get a decent pair of runners if you haven't already.

Shouldn't be getting blisters in cold weather after 6 or 7 km

• Advertisement

I got the blisters after I upgraded my runners and was breaking them in. I haven't really given them a chance to heal 100% since and they get sore after a while. Any tips how to speed up the recover, at the minue I'm just putting aloe Vera on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Itziger

I got the blisters after I upgraded my runners and was breaking them in. I haven't really given them a chance to heal 100% since and they get sore after a while. Any tips how to speed up the recover, at the minue I'm just putting aloe Vera on them.

I've been fortunate never to have got the things. Afraid it might simply be a matter of time. Unless you're mad aiming at a race there's no rush...Let em heal and then back at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

There's an whole thread on the mighty Blister and what to do (or not). It might help.

And good luck with your training. You seem to getting on pretty well so far. 28 - 30 minutes for a 5K isn't THAT slow (who are you comparing yourself to??) I'd say there's plenty of us casual runners that'd happy to have had that as a starting point! As Itziger and RayCun said, take it easy and up the mileage slowly. Races are a great way to focus your training, so you might think of signing up for one and follow a plan.
    There's loads of good tips and hints in the 'New to Running' thread too, especially on plans and gear.

And don't forget, this is supposed to be FUN?! :D Enjoy!

Was looking forward all day to a run this evening, and it didn't disappoint. Beautiful evening and quiet roads. Got 8.5k done 51mins. The last .5k of the first half of my run, is a continuous up hill climb, before I turn and run down. iPod hit the right tune right at the bottom of the hill, so I let rip and took off as hard as I could to make the top. Suffered for it coming near the end but it really got the heart pumping.

8.5k completed this evening in 47mins, delighted. My final 2 ks were my fastest, really got a nice rhythm going. Took a bad tumble though coming downhill trying to navigate a 90 degree bend. Knees and hands look worse for wear but no major damage done fortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

8.5k completed this evening in 47mins, delighted. My final 2 ks were my fastest, really got a nice rhythm going. Took a bad tumble though coming downhill trying to navigate a 90 degree bend. Knees and hands look worse for wear but no major damage done fortunately.

Ouch!
    Good running though. You're flying!

8.9k in 51 minutes. Struggled a bit, had a right feed of drink at the weekend, sweating stout! Calves were very sore throughout, reckon I could have been still dehydrated, sound plausible? Distances are growing, albeit very slowly.

Advertisement