Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap Coupes

• 14-01-2011 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

Well looking for my first car and I like the look of coupes. Only problem is that my budget is €5000 for the car and being a 20 year old male insurance will be the main factor. Anything decent I could get myself? I would love a 318 but the engine size would probably rule me out with the insurance? Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

check how much nononsense.ie want. i would normally say go for a 02+ 318ci, which you would get for your budget, but maybe go for a 00 or 01 which are a good bit cheaper and you could put the money you save towards the insurance...

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭MarkoC

Coupe for 5 grand :D

http://pistonheads.com/sales/2241458.htm

Well, as youre so young id suggest you to go with Ford Fiesta 1.0 coupe/hatch first :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Does the 5k include the insurance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭TheRiddler

Does the 5k include the insurance?

No 5k for the just the car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Celica is probably your best bet at that budget, altho maybe not to your taste it was a 318 you wanted?

• Advertisement

langdang wrote: »
    Celica is probably your best bet at that budget, altho maybe not to your taste it was a 318 you wanted?

Wouldn't mind a Celica but would I be able to get insured on the lower powered (1.8 140bhp VVT-I ???) model?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

Just get a e36 316 coupe if you really want a coupe with a smaller engine. Although for insurance coupe = sports car. It's hard to even get a quote on them under 21 regardless of engine size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

TheRiddler wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind a Celica but would I be able to get insured on the lower powered (1.8 140bhp VVT-I ???) model?
    Hmmm, first time out I presume so? You're gonna be robbed no matter what you go for I'd say. Puma 1.4 if you're comfortable with your manliness?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Yeah, I can see you having trouble getting insured on the celica...

You'd be much better off getting a cheaper car to start off with, earn some NCB and then get a decent car. Unfortunately, it's what every normal male driver has to do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Volvo C70 2.0 LPT would be a pretty good bet I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, what are you expecting from a coupe? Do you want performance as well as sporty looks or is just something that looks sporty but not concerned about performance and is cheap to insure? Since you are looking at the BMW 318Ci I presume you are not really concerned with performance.

If so then take a look at the Hyundai Coupe:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201049200493886

bazz26 wrote: »
    OP, what are you expecting from a coupe? Do you want performance as well as sporty looks or is just something that looks sporty but not concerned about performance and is cheap to insure? Since you are looking at the BMW 318Ci I presume you are not really concerned with performance.

If so then take a look at the Hyundai Coupe:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201049200493886

Yeah you're right it would be more about the looks then performance until I can get insured on something bigger. The Hyundais are interesting, are they any use? Reliability, mpg etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

TheRiddler wrote: »
    Yeah you're right it would be more about the looks then performance until I can get insured on something bigger. The Hyundais are interesting, are they any use? Reliability, mpg etc?

I believe Bazz ,may have made that post in Jest.

The Hyundai coupe had an extremely poor interior in all models last and current. It just ozzes cheap inside. Drive one and you will see.

If you wanted a 318 stick with it, there are so many naysayers on here saying that your getting it for the badge etc etc. But at the end of the day the e36 and e46 are design classics regardless of engine size.

Admitedly the 318 isnt going to spin your head in performance but it is a good engine and reliable. The e46 facelift in sept '01 ads some more economy and a bit more grunt to the model.

And on a separate note, if bazz is offering up the hyundai coupe 1.6 as performance he is having a laugh. Christ my gf micra gives more performance than that.

Overall id pick the 318 over the coupe any day. Ive driven a range of both makes and models and the hyundai just comes out shoddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

What about a Peugeot 406 coupe? Cheap enough these days and look stunning in my opinion. French cars are not bad despite what some people here may say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1791291

OR

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1679388

Go on ;) To be honest though you need vader interior like the m3 one there. Way more comfortable to drive.

Unless you really want the e46 3er. But to be honest there isn't much difference besides the fact that the e36 will probably need a bit more money to keep running since it's older. My 318is has only need a starter rebuild and engine mount since I got it. Along with a RTAB. But I bought an interior, coilovers, powerflex bushings for everywhere along with a few other mods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

listermint wrote: »
    I believe Bazz ,may have made that post in Jest.

The Hyundai coupe had an extremely poor interior in all models last and current. It just ozzes cheap inside. Drive one and you will see.

If you wanted a 318 stick with it, there are so many naysayers on here saying that your getting it for the badge etc etc. But at the end of the day the e36 and e46 are design classics regardless of engine size.

Admitedly the 318 isnt going to spin your head in performance but it is a good engine and reliable. The e46 facelift in sept '01 ads some more economy and a bit more grunt to the model.

And on a separate note, if bazz is offering up the hyundai coupe 1.6 as performance he is having a laugh. Christ my gf micra gives more performance than that.

Overall id pick the 318 over the coupe any day. Ive driven a range of both makes and models and the hyundai just comes out shoddy.

I didn't offer the Hyundai up as a performance coupe. I asked the OP if performance was a requirement of he/she buying a coupe. From reading the OP's posts I got the impression that he/she wanted a coupe because of it's sporty looks but didn't want or couldn't afford to tax/insure a performance coupe, hence my recommendation of the Hyundai Coupe.

As for cheap interiors, yes Far Eastern interiors are not up to German standards but it seems too much important is put on the merits of the quality of plastics around these parts. The Coupe is what it is, a cheap to buy sporty, stylish 2 door for those who don't require performance. This seems to me what the OP is looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Do you need back seats? MX-5 maybe but insurance would probably be an issue on a convertible for 20yo.

Advertisement